MS Accounting, no job, advice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

CDA1984 in Madison Heights, Virginia

18 months ago

I received a B.S. in Accounting in 2006 and and M.S. in Accounting in 2007. My original goal was to become a CPA but a bad experience at a CPA firm and the economic downturn led me away from this path. Since then I have only been able to find jobs working as a seasonal tax professional or low paying customer service work as I am either over-educated or under-experienced for any other job. I have been thinking about leaving my M.S. degree off from my resume, but I don't want to appear to be lying. I have also thought about getting my CPA but I don't know if another designation will improve my chances or hurt them. Does anyone have any advice for how I can break into the corporate accounting/finance/analyst world? Should I leave my Master's off my resume? Should I pursue my CPA? Any answers will be appreciated. Thank you! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

18 months ago

CDA1984 in Madison Heights, Virginia said: I received a B.S. in Accounting in 2006 and and M.S. in Accounting in 2007. My original goal was to become a CPA but a bad experience at a CPA firm and the economic downturn led me away from this path.

In college I interviewed at one of the, then Big 8 firms. I wasn't hired but in a weird confluence the job I did take out of college led to my replacing a temp whose brother worked at the location I would have. He said it sucked.

There is no requirement that you list everything you have on a resume. Lying is saying you have a master's when you don't. Not saying you have a master's degree is just not saying you have a master's degree. I would consider that in some cases depending on what I thought the job entailed. I do that sort of thing.

The negative to leaving it off is getting a job then suddenly something opens up and there you are with a MS, as if by magic. I would love to have that conversation but I'm not you. And, it can be painfully hard to be Jr. to an effing idiot.

As I understand it, a CPA requires working a certain amount of hours auditing and that means another CPA firm. However, a CPA would be a very powerful tool in getting a job, better than a MS.

As far as financial analysis, I have no answers. My degree is in finance but I never found any paths to it. I think you almost have to break in on the accounting side. Larger corporations certainly have that option but today everyone is going to want 3 to 5 years as an analyst to be an analyst.

I feel like I typed a lot without helping. Sorry, it's a hard problem. You might also need to consider another geographical location. Out here I'd think you could find a job much more easily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.