MUST LIVE Within 'X' Minutes or Miles Ads

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

16 months ago

Must live 30 minutes or less from Elgin.
Must live within 20 minutes of Willowbrook.
MUST LIVE WITHIN 30 MINUTES FROM SPRING GROVE.
MUST live within 40 minutes of Bradley, IL -- NO EXCEPTIONS.
Must live within 15 miles of 60502.
Must live within 10 miles of Wheaton.
Must live within 15 minutes of Crest Hill.
Must live locally within ten miles of Batavia.
Must live within 30 minutes of Schaumburg, IL
Must live within 12 miles of Roselle.
Must live within 10 miles of O'Hare Area.
Must live within 30 miles of Chicago.
Must live within 20 miles from Merrillville, In.
Must live locally, within 20 miles of Lockport, IL.
Ideal person lives in DuPage County or within 15 minutes of DuPage.
Ideal applicant would live within 10 miles of 60030.

Seriously, what happens if you live 31 minutes away instead of 30? What if you live 25 minutes instead of 20? What if you live within 15 miles and not 10? What if you live within 35 miles and not 30?

One time I came across an ad where the employer said they were going to MapQuest all of their applicants to see if they resided within 'x' amount of miles or minutes from the office. Those who were just outside that would be overlooked according to the ad.

I don't like minute and mile restrictions because you lock out some otherwise good candidates and it's not uncommon for someone to put in some serious drive time just to work and make a living, especially when it comes to doing what they really want to do career wise in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

One time I interviewed with a relatively new Chiropractor in Northbrook, which is roughly 30 minutes away from me. The doctor had just sold her Kansas practice and re-located to Northbrook because her husband was from that area and wanted to live there. So, she opened up a practice in Northbrook. She had only been open for 6 or so months. Suring her interview she had me tell her a little about the area because she wasn't too familiar with it. When she asked me how far North Chicago was from Northbrook, I told her it was a 30 minute drive. She then asked me if I was going to re-locate to Northbrook or the surrounding area. SERIOUSLY? (Of course, I didn't get that job.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

errr, During her interview...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

16 months ago

Well, I guess that's one thing about not owning a home that works well for me. If I can land a decent job, I will gladly live right down the street. I despise heavy commuter traffic.

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

16 months ago

I hear you Elizabeth, I just so happen to live in Northbrook and I constantly have to play this dance about willing to work downtown. For 17 years, I've intentionally and successfully avoided working in downtown Chicago for obvious reasons. But now given the recession I have to swallow the pain when asked are willing to work downtown. In addition whenever I've applied to Sears Holdings located in Hoffman Estates, the first thing they ask me is how far is Northbrook from Hoffman Estates.

The point is why should a company decide how far I'm willing to drive, that should be my decision. I admit I'm not too crazy about working downtown, or in Naperville, or in Bolingbrook, but the final decision should be mine not the company.

BTW, that Chiropractor that you mentioned...would that just so happen to be Heal-n-Cure? If so, I live walking distance from that place.

16 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: BTW, that Chiropractor that you mentioned...would that just so happen to be Heal-n-Cure? If so, I live walking distance from that place.

No.

It was North Shore Health Solutions, LTD. on Techny Road.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

16 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Must live...

Seriously, what happens if you live 31 minutes away instead of 30? What if you live 25 minutes instead of 20? What if you live within 15 miles and not 10? What if you live within 35 miles and not 30?

One time I came across an ad where the employer said they were going to MapQuest all of their applicants to see if they resided within 'x' amount of miles or minutes from the office. Those who were just outside that would be overlooked according to the ad....

I feel your pain. I see this in my area too. Often though, it's more the "type" of employee they seem to want to hire, hence listing only the upscale towns in my area. "Must live in xyz..."

In the days you could call and get a hold of someone on the phone, I personally inquired about this very thing since I lived right on the border of one of the towns listed in the ad. I was shut right down, even though I had great experience and all the other qualities they would have needed for the job. I was literally rendered speechless when I was told that they needed someone that LIVED in the towns listed with NO EXCEPTION since their clients were residents in these towns and they could "not afford to hire anyone that had to travel". Huh? I would have pleaded my case further since I knew I was right for the job, but I quickly figured out that I really didn't want to work with someone like this.

Her ad remains to this day, even all these years later. I would say she has a high turnover. Potential employees in the towns she demands residence in, are going to want more than minimum wage for their service.

Sadly, this kind of thing is not an isolated case in my area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

16 months ago

Just to add another point; the last company I worked for was once located 45 miles away from where I worked. They relocated (before I was ever employed there) and a loyal few decided to stick with the company. Their average commute was an hour and half each way and they did it every day! I can tell you that they were the employees that never seem to call out either, one being my supervisor. We employed people from all over.

It's pretty sad that any employer would put distance down as a hard fast rule. If you like a potential employee, for God's sake, check with their last employers about their character and reliability. Many dedicated people are willing to travel considerable distance for their paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: If you like a potential employee, for God's sake, check with their last employers about their character and reliability.

That may work for some, but not all.

It certainly doesn't work I my case. ProCare Dental, the Federal Government, and Quest Diagnostics all have policies in place that prohibit references from immediate supervisors or leads, i.e. people you regularly report to under your immediate supervisor. They do, however, do employment verification, but that's NOT what potential new employers want. They want to be able to pick up a phone and call or send character reference cards to previous supervisors and have them rate your performance while explaining if they'd rehire you or not and why.

As for my other employers, I really didn't work at Dr. Barr's office long enough for them to really give me any kind of reference and, in regards to the community college health center, the director I worked under there retired a couple of months before I left. So, I really don't have any employer/professional references to supply anyone. All I have is a former supervisor from my very first campus job whom I've stayed in contact with over the years and some childhood friends, whom I babysit for every now and then, and for most potential employers that's just not good enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: That may work for some, but not all.

It certainly doesn't work I my case. ProCare Dental, the Federal Government, and Quest Diagnostics all have policies in place that prohibit references from immediate supervisors or leads, i.e. people you regularly report to under your immediate supervisor. They do, however, do employment verification, but that's NOT what potential new employers want. They want to be able to pick up a phone and call or send character reference cards to previous supervisors and have them rate your performance while explaining if they'd rehire you or not and why.

As for my other employers, I really didn't work at Dr. Barr's office long enough for them to really give me any kind of reference and, in regards to the community college health center, the director I worked under there retired a couple of months before I left. So, I really don't have any employer/professional references to supply anyone. All I have is a former supervisor from my very first campus job whom I've stayed in contact with over the years and some childhood friends, whom I babysit for every now and then, and for most potential employers that's just not good enough.

Add to this that many companies don't do their own verifications at all anymore. They use 3rd party verifiers for both pre and post employment verifications. Doris in personnel retired a long time ago.

If you called my last company and asked about me they would give you another telephone number to call. They outsourced HR verification years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.