Made a huge mistake... Accepted job offer without counter-offering...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Kreeker in New York

40 months ago

Two weeks ago I accepted a job offer for a engineering position at a top electonics manufaturing company. I was so excited about getting the job that I didn't even negotiate my offer of $50k + benefits, and didn't even ask about future salary increases. I start next week, and I am very excited but I really feel like I sold myself short. I interview with the company for 1 hour and was offered the position the next day, so it is pretty obvious that they really liked me. What threw me off is that when the HR person originally called me, she asked me what my salary requirement was and I said $50-60k after she kept asking me for a number. She then went on to tell me that they usually start engineers at $40-45k, and asked if I even wanted to continue pursuing the position. I said yes because it is not smart to waste an oppurtinity, and ended up getting an interview.

To give some history, I graduated Magna Cum Laude with an Electrical Engineering degree in 2011. The bad is that I didn't do any internships while in school, so when I tried to get a defense job after I graduated I never even got a response for my applications. I ended up doing an IT Support job up until now. However, after I accepting the job offer I got an email from a recruiter about a contract to full time position at ~73k/year. The fact that I was without a real engineering job for so long, made me feel kind of worthless...

My question is do you think I should have asked for more money from the company I accepted the job offer at? Can I try to renogotiate after a few months? Or do I have to wait a full year? I've heard that they only give 3% raises each year...

I don't want to come off as selfish, I just think I should have asked for more... Considering my friend graduated with a marketing degree and is going to making $52k writing propaganda for a PR firm...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kreeker in New York

40 months ago

To be clear, the contract to full time position is in NH for BAE Systems, so I would have to move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

40 months ago

I'd say take it and don't complain. And, I would bet that the recruiter that contacted you is full of crap.

Once you're in BAE, you can network within the company and continue to look for better opportunities.
Besides, the $50K permanent at BAE is worth more than $72K under contract. Probably $8-10K more.

I don't think you did bad.. just give it a little time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Oops, sorry.. I missed your other post. Nevermind.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

40 months ago

A "huge" mistake would have been ending up with neither job. Maybe you could have negotiated a few more $. I don't know, because I don't know the job market for EEs. If you feel that you are behind the market, you can try to negotiate for a bigger raise in a few years. You would have to do some research to show your employer that the median salary for your education and experience is X and you are only being paid Y.

40 months ago

I did that at one of my last employers. I even got my boss on my side to champion the cause.
3 months later, I was let go due to restructure.

Coincidence ? Who knows..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.