Mechancial Engineer trying to land first Job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

PL in Plainfield, New Jersey

25 months ago

Hello,

So I graduated from Rutgers within 3 years in October of 2012(after the summer session) with a BS in mechanical engineering. I'm in a pretty good academic standing, with a GPA of 3.42, I've had an internship where I was granted a secret security clearance(although my work was not really related to engineering), and I have done research under a professor in my spare time.

I know I lack a bit of the experience, but I would have figured that companies would understand that graduating in three years would cut down your time in being able to do internships. I also went to the SHPE conference in Fort Worth Texas, when I live in NJ(I did receive pretty good praise on my credentials from recruiters there), but I didn't hear anything back after applying and interviewing with a few companies at the conference. So it's not like I'm not not being proactive about my job search. But If someone could give me advice on how I should approach this job search better would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

25 months ago

PL,

I really don't know what advice to give new grads Being I am old now. But I did get a master's degree in 08 with expectations I would be able to get a decent job in my field. Oh well.

I would say get any job you can right now. There are a lot of college degrees waiting tables and working at Starbucks these days.

Utilize the career center at Rutgers, join professional associations, and consider volunteering with a company you would like to work for.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: PL,

I really don't know what advice to give new grads Being I am old now. But I did get a master's degree in 08 with expectations I would be able to get a decent job in my field. Oh well.

My advice to new grads is to go to plumbing school. My first job after getting my MBA was cleaning houses under the table.

Yup! Another testament to the failure of higher education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Billy D 421 in New York, New York

25 months ago

Connect with tons of headhunters / recruiters on LinkedIn. They all have a financial interest to find you a job (they get paid if you're working), so if you connect with tons of them, it's quite likely that one of them will be able to get you a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

25 months ago

Billy D 421 in New York, New York said: Connect with tons of headhunters / recruiters on LinkedIn. They all have a financial interest to find you a job (they get paid if you're working), so if you connect with tons of them, it's quite likely that one of them will be able to get you a job.

That's right folks! The answer is right here. Lots of jobs and people that are interested in getting you placed.

No offense Billy D, we hear it all here and it gets tiresome. I am sure you mean well, but it if it all was that simple, we would be all be working by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.