Meeting with boss from my old employer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

T_Ingo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Started a new job with a new company 10 months ago. The company and position hasn't been a fit for me personally. I loved my old company just took a shot at growth with this new company. My old boss and I got along extremely well to where we've stayed in touch since I left.

I'm pretty certain he knows I do not enjoy the current job but I have never come out and said "I hate this job I want to come back". I am meeting him for lunch in a couple of weeks to "catch up".

My issue is how do I bring this up? I would really like to return to the old company and even more like to work for him again. I am not sure if he has any strings he can pull but I certainly don't want to beg or look desperate. However, I want to let him know I would really like to return.

Any advice from folks who went through similar situations would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

T_Ingo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Started a new job with a new company 10 months ago. The company and position hasn't been a fit for me personally. I loved my old company just took a shot at growth with this new company. My old boss and I got along extremely well to where we've stayed in touch since I left.

I'm pretty certain he knows I do not enjoy the current job but I have never come out and said "I hate this job I want to come back". I am meeting him for lunch in a couple of weeks to "catch up".

My issue is how do I bring this up? I would really like to return to the old company and even more like to work for him again. I am not sure if he has any strings he can pull but I certainly don't want to beg or look desperate. However, I want to let him know I would really like to return.

Any advice from folks who went through similar situations would be greatly appreciated!

In this situation, is best to snivel and grovel. You have nothing else to bargain with.

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In this situation, is best to snivel and grovel. You have nothing else to bargain with.

Fair enough, I truly don't have anything to bargain with. Feels like I just have to take my medicine as they say.

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

T_Ingo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Fair enough, I truly don't have anything to bargain with. Feels like I just have to take my medicine as they say.

Someone else on here just got their old job back. As for the humiliation, you're young, you'll get over it. Heh!

Good Luck!

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Someone else on here just got their old job back. As for the humiliation, you're young, you'll get over it. Heh!

Good Luck!

Absolutely, If it means being happy again I can take it! The person who got their job back on here, did he/she post how they went about doing it? Would love to read the post if there is a link to it.

KA2 in Sydney

18 months ago

Since you & your old boss get along extremely well, such that you are catching up, I would just simply be honest with him & tell it as it is. And you could even tell him that you'd like to work for him again, if possible.

I've known people who were approched by a previous employer, asking them to go back & it worked out well for both parties.

I realise that this is different, but since it sounds like he values you as an ex employee, then I would say it's worth bringing up. Even if they don't have anything that would suite right now, they can consider you for future openings & he may even know of an opening elsewhere, through his network.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.