Minimum Wage

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

The current federal minimum wage is $7.75 an hour and it hasn't been raised for the past 4 or so years.

Just what is an appropriate minimum wage for today's society and why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

9 months ago

I don't think it should be raised. Employers will pass on the difference to their customers, invest less in equipment, and maybe put off hiring.

What we need is an economy that is thriving, then maybe employers will pay more on their own for good help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts

9 months ago

What is appropriate is what the upper classes deem appropriate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

9 months ago

I thought the federal minimum wage was $7.25 an hour. Either way, individual states currently can override that number, for example, Illinois is $8.25 an hour. I personally think it should be $15 an hour, that's the equivalent of $30,0000/yr assuming you work 40 hrs./wk which to me is still barely surviving especially if you live in Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I thought the federal minimum wage was $7.25 an hour.

You're correct. It's $7.25 an hour, NOT $7.75 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: Either way, individual states currently can override that number, for example, Illinois is $8.25 an hour.

True, they can. WA state recently raised the minimum wage up to nearly $10 an hour.

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I personally think it should be $15 an hour, that's the equivalent of $30,0000/yr assuming you work 40 hrs./wk which to me is still barely surviving especially if you live in Chicago.

I don't know if our fine politicians, especially the Republicans, would be willing to go that high. $11, maybe $12 an hour. That I could see though probably not anytime soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

9 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: True, they can. WA state recently raised the minimum wage up to nearly $10 an hour.

Actually WA is at $9.19 and OR is $8.95. The two highest for state minimum wage. *]

San Francisco is $10.55 and San Jose is $10.00, but CA is $8.00. Some other states have a state minimum wage with some of the cities minimum wage a little higher than the state minimum wage. ;)

That's why living in Oregon with a lot of the jobs barely above minimum wage is ridicules to apply for. They want you to have all this education and experience and pay you $10.00 an hour! =b

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just trying to live in Hamilton, Ontario

9 months ago

Here in Ontario, Canada our minimum wage is $10.25 an hour (it has continued to be frozen like that since 2010) but prices for things here are more expensive than in the USA. Realistically, I think it should be at least $15.00.

In the province of Nunavut it is $11.00 an hour because it is one of the most (if not THE most) expensive places to live in when it comes to buying products. A pack of toilet paper costs $47.99! Don't worry though- you are getting $1.00 more in terms of minimum wage... pathetic. Check out this video about it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz0YYkvG_Lg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.