More Useless Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 211)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: You need to move to a bigger city with more jobs and women.

You got the order right. Job first then women.

I like it here. Alittle cold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Wurtsboro, New York said: I like people who regularly get the job done without bragging about it.

People who get the job done without bragging about it never get any recognition and never get ahead. Once again, it's not how good you are, it's how good other people think that you are that counts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: If I were a hiring manager, I would give very little weight to recommendations from co-workers, unless they contained some detailed information (e.g."Chris was knowledgeable enough about creating Use Cases to give seminars to the rest of the staff."). My experience is that most people (often unconsciously) base their evaluations of how good their co-workers are on how much they enjoy working with them.

My point is, It is a popularity contest guys. That's life. You have to market yourself, you can have all the skills and be perfect for the job but you still have to put on a bit of a show. Personality and like ability are a lot of HR people's top priorities rightly or wrongly. Considering a lot of recruiters and HR are young and inexperienced themselves, I find it doesn't hurt.

I'm looking for a relatively entry level job and I've come to this conclusion. I am one of those hard, honest workers that does more than what's required. I've quickly learned in my short time in the office that, that will not be getting me very far. In fact I will be taken advantage of.

I am now 'playing the game' if you will.

[QUOTE who = "Joe Gagill Wurtsboro, New York"] I like people who regularly get the job done without bragging about it. That's me, maybe I'm old fashion. It's like a popularity contest this Linkedln.

Welcome to the new reality. You have to do some bragging, you really think anyone is looking at just your skills? If so, then you are sadly mistaken. Nobody will hand you a career or job, you have to be your own ambassador. An interview in itself is putting on an exaggerated act. From my experience, the advice of 'being yourself' isn't cutting it these days. Its a sad fact but thats the way it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: People who get the job done without bragging about it never get any recognition and never get ahead. Once again, it's not how good you are, it's how good other people think that you are that counts.

Great observation; it's not who you know, it's who knows you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: My point is, It is a popularity contest guys. That's life.

I think it's more that the easier you make it for someone to say yes to you, the better. The more work they have to put into it, the less chance you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: I think it's more that the easier you make it for someone to say yes to you, the better. The more work they have to put into it, the less chance you have.

Exactly.

Now getting past HR and actually getting an offer is a whole other ballgame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

Whether its a job interview or on a blind date...
No doubt personality goes a very long way especially if you can break the ice and keep the conversation going about any topic the boss wants to talk about.

Sports, politics, news topics, anything that makes you fit in.

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: My point is, It is a popularity contest guys. That's life. You have to market yourself, you can have all the skills and be perfect for the job but you still have to put on a bit of a show. Personality and like ability are a lot of HR people's top priorities rightly or wrongly. Considering a lot of recruiters and HR are young and inexperienced themselves, I find it doesn't hurt.

I'm looking for a relatively entry level job and I've come to this conclusion. I am one of those hard, honest workers that does more than what's required. I've quickly learned in my short time in the office that, that will not be getting me very far. In fact I will be taken advantage of.

I am now 'playing the game' if you will.

[QUOTE who = "Joe Gagill Wurtsboro, New York"] I like people who regularly get the job done without bragging about it. That's me, maybe I'm old fashion. It's like a popularity contest this Linkedln.

Welcome to the new reality. You have to do some bragging, you really think anyone is looking at just your skills? If so, then you are sadly mistaken. Nobody will hand you a career or job, you have to be your own ambassador. An interview in itself is putting on an exaggerated act. From my experience, the advice of 'being yourself' isn't cutting it these days. Its a sad fact but thats the way it is.

Some places no longer called themselves HR anymore. They are Talent Acquisition now.

Makes me want to bring my tap dancing shoes to the next interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Personality and like ability are a lot of HR people's top priorities rightly or wrongly. Considering a lot of recruiters and HR are young and inexperienced themselves, I find it doesn't hurt.

More importantly, personality and likability are a lot of hiring managers' top priorities. In reality, HR usually has limited input into hiring decisions. Which for me has been unfortunate, because a number of HR people have thought that I was a good candidate but the hiring manager wasn't even interested enough to give me an interview.

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: In reality, HR usually has limited input into hiring decisions. Which for me has been unfortunate, because a number of HR people have thought that I was a good candidate but the hiring manager wasn't even interested enough to give me an interview.

You're right, I've had a lot of luck with recruiters (they all put me through to their client and have nothing but positive things to say) its when I get in front of the hiring manager that it feels impossible. I don't know why or what they want. I don't think they even know themselves.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'm looking for a relatively entry level job and I've come to this conclusion. I am one of those hard, honest workers that does more than what's required. I've quickly learned in my short time in the office that, that will not be getting me very far. In fact I will be taken advantage of.

Yes, that's exactly how it works. You won't receive extra credit for doing extra work. And once you start doing extra work, they will expect it from you and if you ever start only doing the same amount as everyone else they will think that you are slacking off.

Working hard does not get you ahead, unless that hard work is directed at getting you ahead. What gets you ahead is catching the attention of the managers 2 or 3 levels above you.

Work is so fascinating to analyze. In my next life, I will definitely be an organizational psychologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: That and we're a software development hub; and overpopulated with the sort of technogeeks who really love social media.

Just a suggestion; even if you don't plan on doing anything else on LinkedIn, you might want to check it occasionally for job postings on the job tab, especially if you're interested in large companies or tech companies (I'm not sure of your field).

And especially if you ever fill out online applications; it's two clicks to apply through LinkedIn (one to hit the apply button, a second to send even if you don't add a cover letter to it). It's the polar opposite of Taleo.

I always check the jobs on Linkedln never see anything at all for me. I rank it last for job opportunities.

I know I have been way too picky. Passed up high stress sales gigs as well as dead end sales gigs.

I want the ones in the middle where you actually enjoy going to work to some degree.

Seems like this is my destiny...posting on Indeed for the next 25 years. I'll be the Benny Hill of Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: Work is so fascinating to analyze. In my next life, I will definitely be an organizational psychologist.

An unemployed organizational psychologist.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: You're right, I've had a lot of luck with recruiters (they all put me through to their client and have nothing but positive things to say) its when I get in front of the hiring manager that it feels impossible. I don't know why or what they want. I don't think they even know themselves.

I tend to think that HR people, because they are not actually working in the field in which the position is, tend to think more in terms of the candidate's overall intelligence and experience while hiring managers tend to think in terms of what specific skills will be needed for the initial project that the new hire will work on.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: An unemployed organizational psychologist.

But maybe I could become a LinkedIn "thought leader"/

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: But maybe I could become a LinkedIn "thought leader"/

HEE. That has got to be the most annoying feature of LinkedIn. I first signed up on LinkedIn a few years after it started; I think that's why I like it; that is my least favorite feature.

(especially the 'thought leader' who pronounced that she avoids older workers because they don't know how to work hard)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

Let me guess the name of the thought leader that hates older workers. Is it Ashley or Caitlin?

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

I think someone is after you, jenab. You're getting lots of no votes for no reason. How does it feel to be so popular? :D

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I tend to think that HR people, because they are not actually working in the field in which the position is, tend to think more in terms of the candidate's overall intelligence and experience while hiring managers tend to think in terms of what specific skills will be needed for the initial project that the new hire will work on.
In other words, you are really saying that HR neither knows anything nor understands the position, whereas HMs know and understand it and how fits in.

Many HMs have no clue how to best harness their people, but they at least have a vague idea where they fit in. IMO these days HR can read a job description and match candidates to the description. That's all. Beyond written job descriptions it is clueless about what the job actually does. It now lacks the perception it once had to spot talent and find a place for it, especially if the talent does not precisely match the job description, nor does it advocate to HMs for that talent as it once did.

26 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Let me guess the name of the thought leader that hates older workers. Is it Ashley or Caitlin?
No. It's Brittany.

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I think someone is after you, jenab. You're getting lots of no votes for no reason. How does it feel to be so popular? :D

Apparently I have a secret admirer. If nothing else I know my comments are *always* read. ;)

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Let me guess the name of the thought leader that hates older workers. Is it Ashley or Caitlin?

In my day it was Doris or Helen who worked in Personnel. Course, back then, you were a Person. Today, you are a widget.

I am channeling my father.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Some supposed start-up wiz in Europe. Apparently older workers have to prove themselves to her (I seem to recall a dig about flexibility, too). Apparently no one told her about working smarter not harder.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: In other words, you are really saying that HR neither knows anything nor understands the position, whereas HMs know and understand it and how fits in.

I'm not sure that I intended to say exactly that. My intention was to claim that HR and HM have a different perspective. HR is not thinking in terms of a person doing a specific task for a specific project while HM is.

26 months ago

I agree with your comment. I was speaking in a broader sense.

E.g. attorneys don't necessarily understand how to best use paralegals, but they assign them specific duties they know they can fulfill. Unless they have actually done the job, law firm HR has neither a clue nor an appreciation for what paralegals do. If the firm requires a B.A. and a paralegal certificate it will slavishly ferret out the resumes of candidates that have both and sh!tcan the others, even if those candidates have B.S. degrees and a paralegal certificate and/or years of experience.

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Some places no longer called themselves HR anymore. They are Talent Acquisition now.

Makes me want to bring my tap dancing shoes to the next interview.

Tonight I was looking more closely at Linkedln. Over and over again you see the same thing...it's about bragging rights. It's look at who I am.

Someone's profile:

"I consider myself a Creative and Executive Talent Facilitator. I originally started my career on the agency account side, worked in the non-profit industry and later moved into executive search."

Another profile:

"Dynamism. Passion. Creativity. Analytics. Innovation. These are the characteristics of an ideal marketing candidate—and they’re what keep XXXXX XXXXXX hooked on his job."

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said:

Another profile:

"Dynamism. Passion. Creativity. Analytics. Innovation. These are the characteristics of an ideal marketing candidate—and they’re what keep XXXXX XXXXXX hooked on his job."

After I copy and pasted this from Linkedln I was thinking, I've worked in big Fortune 500 companies and I cannot think of anyone who had all those traits. And that was one of many I could of copied.

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I'm not sure that I intended to say exactly that. My intention was to claim that HR and HM have a different perspective. HR is not thinking in terms of a person doing a specific task for a specific project while HM is.

The function of HR is to make sure that you are "our kind of people" - that you fit into the existing homegenous blend. All the talk about diversity is to keep the EEOC at bay. Its makes about as much sense as standing behind a farting circus elephant.

The HM is the one who inquires about your vocational skills.

26 months ago

I've read similar descriptions and a lot of them are admittedly cheesy...but just b/c a few are does not mean they all are or have to be.

Don't judge LinkedIN by those few.

People are putting down what they feel will get them noticed. I think its sad that the truth has to be stretched so far. As a fairly newish grad (a year and bit out of school) I've trying to make it a balancing act. Not to sound too cocky but to sound like I know what I'm talking about without bringing out the thesaurus.

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: ...but just b/c a few are does not mean they all are or have to be.

Don't judge LinkedIN by those few.

A few??? I wish I could post the picture of the pretty recruiter holding up her wine glass. Or earlier today the copier salesman on a yacht.

It is a game that you have to play. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me.

BTW...What's the temp in Ontario, you must have the wood stove on tonight.

26 months ago

The temperatures not too bad actually, its only 0 degrees.

Weird...I haven't come across any of those type of profiles on my LinkedIn. No joke.

No weird pictures or gimmicky sales pitches. There have been a few cheesy headlines and non stop posting of articles but thats it and my network is almost 300 people. Perhaps its the state of things in the US compared to here. Who knows.

26 months ago

I don't know all of them personally but then again thats the point of LinkedIn that many of you seem to be missing.

You can learn a lot of valuable information from your connections...see who is connected to who and how they know each other etc.

When applying for a job you can then try and parlay that knowledge in a useful manner.

We stay in this forum (I didn't post but read actively) and post about how it's largely connections that people have that get them jobs....well those 'connections' have to start somewhere. We also talk a lot about how resumes are becoming passe and social media is taking over....well duh people. It's either go with it or become irrelevant.

Being on Linkedin and being open to allowing people to connect with me and vice versa has shown me just how small a world it is. If for my own sake (and sometimes too blunt personality) it was important that I learned this. I now have this information and can use it to my advantage, perhaps not at this exact moment but time will tell. Why would I close myself off of to it?

I understand the wariness/bitterness/frustration...I was unemployed for a year at the start of 2009. I had just graduated University and while I didn't have any debt to pay off ....I had always worked since a young age...so not getting anywhere doing the same old that I did before was terrifying. I don't want to be in that position again. It was not a fun time.

I will use LinkedIn to MY advantage, thats how I choose to look at it. A lot of it does depend on your attitude.

Don't become so hard and bitter, it won't help anything.

26 months ago

I too get a laugh out of how fake and over the top this stuff can be...but what is young person to do? I have yet to really start a career, I've mostly been on the periphery. I just need a chance and that chance can come from anywhere. I'm not going to potentially dismiss it out of hand.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said:

Weird...I haven't come across any of those type of profiles on my LinkedIn. No joke.

No weird pictures or gimmicky sales pitches. There have been a few cheesy headlines and non stop posting of articles but thats it and my network is almost 300 people. Perhaps its the state of things in the US compared to here. Who knows.

Strange how I have basically had the exact opposite experience with LinkedIn. When I first joined, there were some helpful discussions going on. Within a couple years, LinkedIn (at least the "area" I was seeing) basically turned into a huge advertising/ shameless self promotion forum. Many fewer discussions of any "real" value, such as where to get a JOB, which areas of the country were growing/ shrinking, you know, like things the unemployed might actually care about.

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Strange how I have basically had the exact opposite experience with LinkedIn. When I first joined, there were some helpful discussions going on. Within a couple years, LinkedIn (at least the "area" I was seeing) basically turned into a huge advertising/ shameless self promotion forum. Many fewer discussions of any "real" value, such as where to get a JOB, which areas of the country were growing/ shrinking, you know, like things the unemployed might actually care about.

That has been my experience with them.

26 months ago

Perhaps you should acknowledge that it's changed and accept it for its (in your opinion) limited capabilities.

I still believe that theres absolutely no harm whatsoever in having an up to date profile and adding to your network.....even if you add people what do you think they're going to do? If anything it allows you access to their network.

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Perhaps you should acknowledge that it's changed and accept it for its (in your opinion) limited capabilities.

I still believe that theres absolutely no harm whatsoever in having an up to date profile and adding to your network.....even if you add people what do you think they're going to do? If anything it allows you access to their network.

it can't hurt to have your resume on linkedln. but it's a needle in the haystack kind of thing. and you got to omit, allot of look who i am on linkedln.

your the perfect example, how long have you been using linkedln? hasn't worked yet..........but your right you never know someone might call one day while it's 20 below outside.

why dont the ugly over 55 group put their pics on linkedln?? notice that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Perhaps you should acknowledge that it's changed and accept it for its (in your opinion) limited capabilities.

I would never tell you NOT to do social media. What I am saying is that by the very fact that you are here and not gainfully employed due to your vast "network:, may show LinkedIn for what it really is - an ad farm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

No actually, I never claimed that LinkedIn would get me a job. I said it was a TOOL right from the get go and that's it. I've also stated the ways it can help an individual.

I've actually only been unemployed for approx. 3 months. I just finished a contract job and am frustrated by lack of replies to permanent jobs and a streak of really unprofessional and extremely lame interviews. I've noticed an increase in contract/project based work and it scares me. Especially considering I went back to school to work in the industry I'm in now.

No social media will get you a job Bluetea....if you think that then you need to think again. Nothing is going to be handed directly to anyone unless you happen to know the hiring manager.

I find there is a stunning lack of understanding from most people my age (25-29) about their respective industries, what trends are taking place in the workplace and how things have changed. I find LinkedIn just helps me all the more to put the pieces together...even looking at people's job histories and how they've landed the position they have now is eye opening. I am nothing but a realist but I try to disassociate that realism with cynicism. In fact its one of my new years resolutions.

If you always look at the negative, that is all you will see.

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Whoa Joe! You're in fine form today. Are you at the library?

go there alittle later....they close at 7 tonight. too many bums there in the morning,

i kind of put linkedln with reality tv, people want to be on reality tv. linkedln is like a form of reality tv for many. look at me, look how beautiful i am. self-promotion not neccessary for a job but to feel important, be like a movie star.

can't hurt to use it though. iv'e seen 2 recruiters post on there looking to fill hard positions to fill.

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: it can't hurt to have your resume on linkedln. but it's a needle in the haystack kind of thing. and you got to omit, allot of look who i am on linkedln.

your the perfect example, how long have you been using linkedln? hasn't worked yet..........but your right you never know someone might call one day while it's 20 below outside.

why dont the ugly over 55 group put their pics on linkedln?? notice that.

It can be a needle in a haystack yes but what is the other option Joe? to send out hundreds of resumes and remain a needle in a haystack? what's the difference?

I actually don't view LinkedIn as a method to get me a job but more a place to do research...if I come across an ad, I'll search the company and find out what I can to my benefit. If a recruiter looks at my profile and messages me than awesome.

I've been on LinkedIn for approx. two years now and I'm fairly young so I can't comment on the 50+ crowd and not posting pics. I know that ageism is a huge factor here and won't dismiss it. It's real and a definite issue.

You've got two ends of the spectrum....the new workers trying to get a foot in and the crowd thats already had their careers trying to maintain a foothold.

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: It can be a needle in a haystack yes but what is the other option Joe? to send out hundreds of resumes and remain a needle in a haystack? what's the difference?

I actually don't view LinkedIn as a method to get me a job but more a place to do research...if I come across an ad, I'll search the company and find out what I can to my benefit. If a recruiter looks at my profile and messages me than awesome.

I've been on LinkedIn for approx. two years now and I'm fairly young so I can't comment on the 50+ crowd and not posting pics. I know that ageism is a huge factor here and won't dismiss it. It's real and a definite issue.

You've got two ends of the spectrum....the new workers trying to get a foot in and the crowd thats already had their careers trying to maintain a foothold.

you are a smart chick.

i like linkedln because i can research the players in a company that i'm about to interview at.

i honestly don't know why i don't get recruiters calling me from linkedln. great resume. they can't tell i live in a rural area, it's a "big general geographical area" that is listed on my profile.

blue, you need to shape up.

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said:

i honestly don't know why i don't get recruiters calling me from linkedln. great resume.

Maybe the answer is a simple one after all. I don't get calls because there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

No I don't believe that, people get hired everyday. Perhaps to a lesser extent than before and at a much slower pace but it still happens. Finding an entry level job has always been tough...

I've had far too many interviews to believe that, someone is getting those positions...so the question then becomes 'why isn't it me?'

it's very easy to get into the conspiracy theories, I think theres a level of truth to them but we'll never know for sure. All I have is facts....each company was interviewing anywhere from 3-10 people for the role, they hadn't yet decided WHEN they were going to actually hire, a lot of them canceled the role altogether, or changed the title and I still see some of the job postings that I interviewed for as active on the companies site.

Hiring has become this hugely convoluted, complex science (if you can call it that) more like as you said finding a needle in a haystack.

I guess my point is, that many of us have tried the traditional way...and it ain't working. Time to change it up. As bizarre and unseemly as it might be, what and who does it hurt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

A lot of industries are also incredibly saturated...sometimes it does come down to basic supply and demand. Industries like admin and marketing are full of new and older grads trying to make their place. At times it feels impossible so people resort to gimmicks like many people mentioned here (the cheesy pics, headlines etc.)

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: It can be a needle in a haystack yes but what is the other option Joe? to send out hundreds of resumes and remain a needle in a haystack? what's the difference?

You're in the "it couldn't hurt" category and I don't fault you for that. I am sure that many people are still singing the virtues of 32lb Ivory colored resume paper with matching envelopes.

I remain a skeptic, partly because I am older and resist change and partly because I don't know anyone (personally) who has been hired this way.

Personally, I prefer attending a Chamber of Commerce mixer. LOL!

26 months ago

Not to harp on you Bluetea, I have nothing against you...but you're confirming the stereotypes that a lot of employers have against hiring older workers:

> you're resistant to change
> you didn't see it happen so of course it can't be true

LinkedIn is a relatively new way of job searching/gaining info/networking what have you, to dismiss it out of hand based on some anecdotes and the two seconds you spent on the site is a tad short sighted don't you think?

Have you even tried anything differently to see if it helps at all?

John in Annapolis, Maryland

26 months ago

Some of us (I suspect more of the "mature" crowd) do not believe in spreading our personal lives all over the internet. I dropped off Facebook due to privacy concerns and hardly knowing anybody there. LinkedIn allows me to provide less info. Over the 4 plus years I have been on there, I have gotten one telephone interview. The other phone interview fell through the cracks.

In the areas I have paid some attention to, the content has deteriorated significantly. I have been unable to find industries which, at this point of time, are willing to consider hiring (let alone training) folks from other industries. I would be worth hiring and training (if applicable). But, when I can not get a single worthwhile response, my attitude heads south. So I have involved myself with other things which may or may not lead to the ever so much needed paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: Not to harp on you Bluetea, I have nothing against you...but you're confirming the stereotypes that a lot of employers have against hiring older workers:

> you're resistant to change
> you didn't see it happen so of course it can't be true

LinkedIn is a relatively new way of job searching/gaining info/networking what have you, to dismiss it out of hand based on some anecdotes and the two seconds you spent on the site is a tad short sighted don't you think?

Have you even tried anything differently to see if it helps at all?

Oh, I think many people and perhaps a few potential employers have you stereotyped as well but that is beside the point.

After, 2 downsizes and one termination, I think I have learned a few things. My bag of tricks may just be different than yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You personally know 300 people? No disrespect but that sounds like an email marketing list to me.

I have just under 300 on my list, and with the exception of maybe a dozen recruiters, and a handful of college students I worked with on a special project about 5 years ago, I do know all of them personally. And those students were impressive enough on the few times I met them that I was comfortable in connecting with them on LinkedIn.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.