More Useless Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 211 of 211)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

18 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: * the year I worked was all fixed term contracts with no hope for permanency. I've had a lot of contract gigs, in fact off my jobs since school have been contracts, I would like something permanent. That seems to be out of my reach for the moment.

Wait a minute... Mississauga?? You're only an hour from RIM (Research In Motion) Headquarters! You could work for them!! Haven't you heard? The new BB10 is expected to blow the competition (mainly, Apple and Samsung) to pieces - imagine the crazy hiring that will soon erupt in Waterloo! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

18 months ago

How appropriate is this.. a dead link posted under "more useless advise"......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

18 months ago

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan said: Wait a minute... Mississauga?? You're only an hour from RIM (Research In Motion) Headquarters! You could work for them!! Haven't you heard? The new BB10 is expected to blow the competition (mainly, Apple and Samsung) to pieces - imagine the crazy hiring that will soon erupt in Waterloo! ;)

Hey, yeah I'm relatively close. I recall reading about that stuff. I will keep an eye out for sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I'd love to know who keeps saying 'no' to all my posts regardless of content. Seems like I've made an enemy. Ah shucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

18 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'd love to know who keeps saying 'no' to all my posts regardless of content. Seems like I've made an enemy. Ah shucks.

Welcome to the club. :D

Don't fret it, some people will never be happy with or agree with what you say, even if you say that a cloudless sky is blue.

It's probably the same person who finds me so riveting. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Its all good :)

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

18 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'd love to know who keeps saying 'no' to all my posts regardless of content. Seems like I've made an enemy. Ah shucks.

It might not even be the people posting here. I'm sure the lurkers love to vote no here. I thought they would vote yes for all of us being so entertaining.

mkohler11@cox.net in Phoenix, Arizona

17 months ago

what to do when your manager hires someone 4 weeks after you and pays him more on a salary paid position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

17 months ago

what to do when your manager hires someone 4 weeks after you and pays him more on a salary paid position

I had that situation - twice. The last legal assistant position I had they hired a paralegal (same degrees and skills I had, and paid her $20,000 a year more than me (she demanded it). They hired the new dept supervisor at a little over $60,000 (demand), with a secretary next to me (pretty, polished, less skills), at $10,000 more than me.

Then the new paralegal needed help with the job. They called me in to explain it to me. I said, "Well, she better get busy!) and smiled. She new supervisor said, "No, you don't understand. She needs your help." I explained why my help would not be forthcoming. Unless they could come up with a salary increase of at least $10,000 (equal to the new secretary), my help would not be forthcoming. The new supervisor said, "It wasn't in the budget." I explained an idea for getting it in the budget - take a few thou8sand dollars from the new paralegal, the secretary and herself, and give it to me. I then explained that the managing attorney and the firm administrator. The attorney didn't say anything. The firm admin just "glared" at me. It has been five years since I left - and I didn't look back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mkohler11@cox.net in Phoenix, Arizona

17 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: what to do when your manager hires someone 4 weeks after you and pays him more on a salary paid position

I had that situation - twice. The last legal assistant position I had they hired a paralegal (same degrees and skills I had, and paid her $20,000 a year more than me (she demanded it). They hired the new dept supervisor at a little over $60,000 (demand), with a secretary next to me (pretty, polished, less skills), at $10,000 more than me.

Then the new paralegal needed help with the job. They called me in to explain it to me. I said, "Well, she better get busy!) and smiled. She new supervisor said, "No, you don't understand. She needs your help." I explained why my help would not be forthcoming. Unless they could come up with a salary increase of at least $10,000 (equal to the new secretary), my help would not be forthcoming. The new supervisor said, "It wasn't in the budget." I explained an idea for getting it in the budget - take a few thou8sand dollars from the new paralegal, the secretary and herself, and give it to me. I then explained that the managing attorney and the firm administrator. The attorney didn't say anything. The firm admin just "glared" at me. It has been five years since I left - and I didn't look back.

I've been with this company only 6 months and just left the last job after 2 years thinking this would be a better opportunity for me and then they go and screw me like this--it just sucks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

17 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: The new supervisor said, "It wasn't in the budget."
Not your problem. You were not the firm's accountant.
Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: It has been five years since I left - and I didn't look back.
But you didn't walk out, did you, though no one would blame you if you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.