"Must Give Up Your First Born"....LOL. Share Some of Your Favorite Job Ads Here.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 552)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

OK. Like everyone else here, I am finding some demanding and downright ridiculous job ad requirements. I came across one that literally started out like this.

"1. Minimum of one year of experience in automobile appraising required. Successful completion of specific courses as designated by Home Office, National Material Damage Department in connection with the Infinity University Training Claims Department is required to remain in this position. Failure to pass any of these designated classes will result in termination.

2. Must have good computer skills.

3. Must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.

4. Must have good planning and organizing skills.

5. Must have good written and verbal communication skills. Some positions may require specific bilingual skills.

6. Must have the ability to effectively deal with conflict.

7. Successful completion of the Field Appraiser certification test is required to be selected for this position."

I'm sorry, but after reading the first requirement, I got turned off. I really wonder if these companies have any love left for their potential new employees?

Share some of the ads you have come across. We might as well have a laugh. It sure beats crying over what is NOT out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Another one of today's ads reads; "The application process will take between 60 and 90 minutes depending on the position for which you are applying.

In order to complete this job application, you will need to give consent to receive and respond to information in electronic form. If you do not wish to consent to electronic transactions, please exit the system now by clicking "CANCEL."

This application contains a number of disclosures and consent forms which usually are provided in written form......."

At least this one admits it is long and invasive. I get so tired of filling these applications out. It takes me all afternoon with some of them and like everyone else here, I don't hear anything back. I truly am forgetting what it is to read about an opening and get excited about the prospects of an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

19 months ago

Design And Programming
• LAMP developers
• Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal experts
• Designers
• iPhone/Android app developers

Pay is $10-$15/hour DOE and skill set

Apparently the guy thinks he's in Fresno.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Kingston, New York

19 months ago

UnhappilyUnemployed,

I hope your taking care of yourself. I saw this one today. I stopped reading after a few sentences. All you have to do is look at the bottom at the 15 per hr to realize the insanity.

Director, Client Services Account Manager (Oldsmar, FL) (Hudson Valley)
This position will have responsibility for a P&L for the account/business relationship which is as large as some of our medium size markets. At maturity, this account manager will have accountability of driving 40,000-50,000 lives through our plans and the VHS systems ($500MM in revenue). Some of the strategic projects this position will handle are managing the BKS Brokerage relationships; the development of an exclusively co-branded product for The Villages, United, and AARP; and the development and operation of Medicare Stores within The Villages.
The role will also have daily face-to-face contact with The Villages Executive Leadership Group, the University of South Florida School of Medicine and Subspeciality Groups, The Central Florida Health Alliance and The Villages residents. It will be essential that this position influences the distribution and management of resources and funcational support to manage this line of business.

Job Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
Strong working knowledgeof Medicare Advantage and health insurance plan management experience(Distribution, Product Design, Network Management, Marketing, and Advertising).
Strong understanding of Patient Centered Medical Home Management and Contract Negotiation.
5+ years business/account management experience within healthcare industry preferred.
3+ years direct management experience preferred.

cont next page =>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Kingston, New York

19 months ago

UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system. Imagine joining a group of professionals and clinicians who are working to improve health care for people over 50. Consider the influence you can have on the quality of care for millions of people. Now, enhance that success with enthusiasm you can really feel.
That's how it is at UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement. Everyday, we're collaborating to improve the health and well being of the fastest growing segment of our nation's population. And we're doing it with an intense amount of dedication.Here, you will discover a culture that grows through challenge. That evolves by being flexible. That succeeds by staying true to our mission to make health care work effectively and efficiently for seniors. Put your best to work for us, and discover extraordinary opportunities for growth.Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/VUnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment. In addition, employees in certain positions are subject to random drug testing. • Location: Hudson Valley
Compensation: $15.00/hour
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said:
At least this one admits it is long and invasive. I get so tired of filling these applications out. It takes me all afternoon with some of them and like everyone else here, I don't hear anything back. I truly am forgetting what it is to read about an opening and get excited about the prospects of an interview.

LOL! Remember when a resume couldn't be longer than one page?

Some of these online apps are so long, I have to lie down and take a nap in the middle of filling them out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Kingston, New York said: UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system. Imagine joining a group of professionals and clinicians who are working to improve health care for people over 50. Consider the influence you can have on the quality of care for millions of people. Now, enhance that success with enthusiasm you can really feel.
That's how it is at UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement. Everyday, we're collaborating to improve the health and well being of the fastest growing segment of our nation's population. And we're doing it with an intense amount of dedication.Here, you will discover a culture that grows through challenge. That evolves by being flexible. That succeeds by staying true to our mission to make health care work effectively and efficiently for seniors. Put your best to work for us, and discover extraordinary opportunities for growth.Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/VUnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment. In addition, employees in certain positions are subject to random drug testing. • Location: Hudson Valley
Compensation: $15.00/hour
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!

Ha Ha Joe. And you know what's sad? I made $15 an hour, years ago without a degree and without selling my first born. Can you imagine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! Remember when a resume couldn't be longer than one page?

Some of these online apps are so long, I have to lie down and take a nap in the middle of filling them out.

I know it. It's a good thing that I don't chose to cork open a bottle of wine during some Zthose applications. I would be snookered by the time I was done and my answers to questions like "Please tell us why you want to work at XYZ Inc.?" Are you kidding? "I'm unemployed and I want to work! Period!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Design And Programming
• LAMP developers
• Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal experts
• Designers
• iPhone/Android app developers

Pay is $10-$15/hour DOE and skill set

Apparently the guy thinks he's in Fresno.

OMG! How is anyone outside the company supposed to even understand what this set of software even is? I wish they would just admit that they only want internal candidates to apply! Also, there is a huge difference between making 20K a year and 30K. I don't trust any job that has that kind of range in pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: OMG! How is anyone outside the company supposed to even understand what this set of software even is? I wish they would just admit that they only want internal candidates to apply! Also, there is a huge difference between making 20K a year and 30K. I don't trust any job that has that kind of range in pay.

It does look like they have a candidate in mind even before running the ad.

Oh well, you will never be as qualified as the directors' new son-in-law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: It does look like they have a candidate in mind even before running the ad.

Oh well, you will never be as qualified as the directors' new son-in-law.

I used to be so proud of the fact that I could get a decent job without connections. Now that I have some connections in my later life, I still can't get my foot in the door. There are too many others with connections in the pool of competition. You know it's a sad situation where even admin jobs are a just a dozen or so to pick from and most of those have been running for months. I hate it when I am forced to apply for jobs I know are below my skill set or way above...at least in terms of what the dang ad is requiring! Gone are the days of training a smart and willing candidate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I used to be so proud of the fact that I could get a decent job without connections. Now that I have some connections in my later life, I still can't get my foot in the door. There are too many others with connections in the pool of competition. You know it's a sad situation where even admin jobs are a just a dozen or so to pick from and most of those have been running for months. I hate it when I am forced to apply for jobs I know are below my skill set or way above...at least in terms of what the dang ad is requiring! Gone are the days of training a smart and willing candidate.

I agree. My theory is that what jobs you see online are whats' left over at the end of the day. Its like a rummage sale.

The good jobs are really never advertised anymore unless there is some EEO compliance needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: OMG! How is anyone outside the company supposed to even understand what this set of software even is? I wish they would just admit that they only want internal candidates to apply! Also, there is a huge difference between making 20K a year and 30K. I don't trust any job that has that kind of range in pay.

That's actually light and those are all industry standard things. The problem is that no one who is an "expert" at any of those would show up for $15/hr in the Bay Area. Drupal is apparently hard to find because even I get calls about it and I've barely touched it. WordPress, the lightweight on the list, is still North of $30/hr. He's looking for interns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I agree. My theory is that what jobs you see online are whats' left over at the end of the day. Its like a rummage sale.

The good jobs are really never advertised anymore unless there is some EEO compliance needed.

Yup and the only reason I continue to fill out those applications is so that my conscience is clear when I tell everyone around me that I want to work again. I really do, but where the real jobs are at; I haven't the faintest idea how I am supposed to be able to "search" for those. I am forever asking my "connections" about potential openings at their company, but like most places, there is either a hiring freeze going on or I am competing amongst many people that also have connections, which in a large company with one opening, that is the norm. I truly wonder out loud if I will ever work again. I cried openly when I was laid off, not so much for the loss of the job as much as the reality of becoming unemployed in one's middle years in a lousy economy like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: That's actually light and those are all industry standard things. The problem is that no one who is an "expert" at any of those would show up for $15/hr in the Bay Area. Drupal is apparently hard to find because even I get calls about it and I've barely touched it. WordPress, the lightweight on the list, is still North of $30/hr. He's looking for interns.

They want a perfect employee that can pull rabbits out of hats and yet they only want to pay minimal wages. Truly, our economy will continue to fall with this mentality from corporate America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Yup and the only reason I continue to fill out those applications is so that my conscience is clear when I tell everyone around me that I want to work again. I really do, but where the real jobs are at; I haven't the faintest idea how I am supposed to be able to "search" for those. I am forever asking my "connections" about potential openings at their company, but like most places, there is either a hiring freeze going on or I am competing amongst many people that also have connections, which in a large company with one opening, that is the norm. I truly wonder out loud if I will ever work again. I cried openly when I was laid off, not so much for the loss of the job as much as the reality of becoming unemployed in one's middle years in a lousy economy like this.

I hear you. The problem is that we have lost two jobs: the one you had and the one you need now. Since 2008, we have lost some 7 million jobs and most of them were middle class type jobs.

There isn't a hidden job market as much as there is a black market. I use to count on my "network" as well but when there are no jobs, there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in southern, New Jersey

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I used to be so proud of the fact that I could get a decent job without connections. Now that I have some connections in my later life, I still can't get my foot in the door. There are too many others with connections in the pool of competition. You know it's a sad situation where even admin jobs are a just a dozen or so to pick from and most of those have been running for months. I hate it when I am forced to apply for jobs I know are below my skill set or way above...at least in terms of what the dang ad is requiring! Gone are the days of training a smart and willing candidate.

I have seen people arguing over who should be hired, because three people had connections, and there was only one job available. It becomes a question of who has the BEST connection. I have lost multiple jobs to connections, and there is nothing that can be done.

And no one wants to train. It is like a bad word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Kingston, New York

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: They want a perfect employee that can pull rabbits out of hats and yet they only want to pay minimal wages. Truly, our economy will continue to fall with this mentality from corporate America.

It's like the housing market before the last few months. Buyers thought they could make ridiculous offers.

Companies feel they can get a candidate who knows it all for peanuts. I'm afraid this is the new normal for a long time going forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I hear you. The problem is that we have lost two jobs: the one you had and the one you need now.

Exactly. Until one experiences this phenomenon themselves, they will continue to scratch their heads and wonder why people like us cannot find work. And I guarantee that they didn't have to fill out such long and invasive applications without being in the running for a real job. That is what I so resent at this point. Look at my resume first and then tell me if you want to know more. Honestly....why do they ask you for all your contacts of previous jobs when your resume and cover letter my be getting rejected by impersonal software? Why can't the unemployed be allowed to keep some of their dignity? I realize I gave over my SS# in a application the other day. Why is that required?

So I guess when I see ads for unrealistic qualifications for $10 an hour, the request for the most personal information should not shock me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Joe Gagill in Kingston, New York said: It's like the housing market before the last few months. Buyers thought they could make ridiculous offers.

Companies feel they can get a candidate who knows it all for peanuts. I'm afraid this is the new normal for a long time going forward.

And like the housing market, I wonder if this all will bite employers in the ass the way it did with banks lending to people who could not afford those incredible mortgages. I am grateful I never lived beyond my means. I just wonder every day what is going to happen to our great working class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

Unhappily Unemployed,

What was you career field when you got layed off ?

Joe,
The job you just posted still has a few hundred people applying.
Very bad indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

19 months ago

I've noticed these listings getting sneakier. The one's that make me laugh (or angry, depends on the day, lol) are the listings for jobs where you sit on your ass all day but require the "ability to lift 75 pounds". Seventy-five pounds, you say? Obviously a way to weed out older applicants.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'll see requirements like "must have 15+ years relevant work experience". Obviously no one under the age of 35 could possibly have fifteen years professional experience for work that requires a college degree, so clearly they're weeding out younger grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Unhappily Unemployed,

What was you career field when you got layed off ?

Joe,
The job you just posted still has a few hundred people applying.
Very bad indeed.

Various administrative positions Beth. And you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

I worked for a company that contracted dialysis services at various hospitals in FL. Wasn't a nurse but handled all the admin aspects of the contracts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Exactly. Until one experiences this phenomenon themselves, they will continue to scratch their heads and wonder why people like us cannot find work. And I guarantee that they didn't have to fill out such long and invasive applications without being in the running for a real job. That is what I so resent at this point. Look at my resume first and then tell me if you want to know more. Honestly....why do they ask you for all your contacts of previous jobs when your resume and cover letter my be getting rejected by impersonal software? Why can't the unemployed be allowed to keep some of their dignity? I realize I gave over my SS# in a application the other day. Why is that required?

So I guess when I see ads for unrealistic qualifications for $10 an hour, the request for the most personal information should not shock me.

I actually applied to a staffing company that does work in my industry from the states (a lot of them are national)....as I was filling out the application process I was truly shocked at the information they wanted. I stopped midway through and said 'screw it' theres no way in hell they need to know this stuff and I'm not handing it over to some company in the hopes that they're handling it properly.

That is probably one of the biggest differences between the states and Canada. In Canada a few postings will ask for references when you sent in your materials but it's not something thats prevalent. Usually when I see those requests I ignore the ad b/c what the hell. None of them will ask for your social security number or urine/blood tests etc.

Its truly messed up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Exactly. Until one experiences this phenomenon themselves, they will continue to scratch their heads and wonder why people like us cannot find work. And I guarantee that they didn't have to fill out such long and invasive applications without being in the running for a real job. That is what I so resent at this point. Look at my resume first and then tell me if you want to know more. Honestly....why do they ask you for all your contacts of previous jobs when your resume and cover letter my be getting rejected by impersonal software? Why can't the unemployed be allowed to keep some of their dignity? I realize I gave over my SS# in a application the other day. Why is that required?

So I guess when I see ads for unrealistic qualifications for $10 an hour, the request for the most personal information should not shock me.

If I see the Powered by Taleo logo, I back out. LOL! Just not worth my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I actually applied to a staffing company that does work in my industry from the states (a lot of them are national)....as I was filling out the application process I was truly shocked at the information they wanted. I stopped midway through and said 'screw it' theres no way in hell they need to know this stuff and I'm not handing it over to some company in the hopes that they're handling it properly.

That is probably one of the biggest differences between the states and Canada. In Canada a few postings will ask for references when you sent in your materials but it's not something thats prevalent. Usually when I see those requests I ignore the ad b/c what the hell. None of them will ask for your social security number or urine/blood tests etc.

Its truly messed up.

In the US, the whole process has been stood on its head. They want to know everything up front and the one that kicks you out of consideration the fastest is "What are your salary requirements?".

This question alone can take 1,000 apps and spit out the Top Ten real fast!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

sighing in southern, New Jersey said: I have seen people arguing over who should be hired, because three people had connections, and there was only one job available. It becomes a question of who has the BEST connection. I have lost multiple jobs to connections, and there is nothing that can be done.

And no one wants to train. It is like a bad word.

Being able to articulate and train someone can be a challenge, but so rewarding. Some of the best people I ever had working underneath me were people I had to train, start to finish. The key is to hire someone who is naturally bright and has a good attitude. I don't think these traits should be too hard to screen for in an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: I've noticed these listings getting sneakier. The one's that make me laugh (or angry, depends on the day, lol) are the listings for jobs where you sit on your ass all day but require the "ability to lift 75 pounds". Seventy-five pounds, you say? Obviously a way to weed out older applicants.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'll see requirements like "must have 15+ years relevant work experience". Obviously no one under the age of 35 could possibly have fifteen years professional experience for work that requires a college degree, so clearly they're weeding out younger grads.

I know it. Here's a typical one...."Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling. Frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds....."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I know it. Here's a typical one...."Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling. Frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds....."

I may add....this is a job for a receptionist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Being able to articulate and train someone can be a challenge, but so rewarding. Some of the best people I ever had working underneath me were people I had to train, start to finish. The key is to hire someone who is naturally bright and has a good attitude. I don't think these traits should be too hard to screen for in an interview.

That's particularly frustrating right now for recent grads, who are filled to the brim with school smarts but very little on-the-job experience. That's what's hurting me right now - I've even had hiring managers tell me that my skills are great, they just don't have the capacity to train given their razor-thin staff and no money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I actually applied to a staffing company that does work in my industry from the states (a lot of them are national)....as I was filling out the application process I was truly shocked at the information they wanted. I stopped midway through and said 'screw it' theres no way in hell they need to know this stuff and I'm not handing it over to some company in the hopes that they're handling it properly.

That is probably one of the biggest differences between the states and Canada. In Canada a few postings will ask for references when you sent in your materials but it's not something thats prevalent. Usually when I see those requests I ignore the ad b/c what the hell. None of them will ask for your social security number or urine/blood tests etc.

Its truly messed up.

Most agreed. And it's my experience that the jobs that I have either applied for or actually got that had very invasive and long applications were some of the poorest paying jobs. I too have stopped dead in the middle of an application if it is getting too personal. I always found the fact that you are told in the business world to keep your personal life separate, yet they want to know much about it before even giving you an interview! I sure would like to grill a potential boss the same way!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: If I see the Powered by Taleo logo, I back out. LOL! Just not worth my time.

Good move! Of course more and more companies are using this crap. They have got to know that people will catch on with "tricking it" with keywords to get the resume through. Then once that happens in large volumes, companies will have to read the stacks of resumes that made it through using real people. Hmmmmm.....I like the thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In the US, the whole process has been stood on its head. They want to know everything up front and the one that kicks you out of consideration the fastest is "What are your salary requirements?".

This question alone can take 1,000 apps and spit out the Top Ten real fast!

So the fact that I dare state I would like to be paid a living wage eliminates me right there. I remember that not too long ago, you could answer that question with "negotiable". I really think it's moronic to think that someone that knows their talents and experience is going to low ball themselves on an application. It seems to me that by doing that, you are telling an employer that you don't think much of your own skill set. I truly HATE that question and you are probably right in how many people it quickly eliminates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: That's particularly frustrating right now for recent grads, who are filled to the brim with school smarts but very little on-the-job experience. That's what's hurting me right now - I've even had hiring managers tell me that my skills are great, they just don't have the capacity to train given their razor-thin staff and no money.

I agree Jake. It's a no win situation. Someone like me with smarts and tons of experience are eliminated because it's hard to cover up the fact that I am not in my 20's or 30's. I really miss working in some of the small companies of the past where they hired the very young and the very old and made a great team out of them. I love working with young people. They keep me fresh. I think I have skills and maturity that I can offer back. Good luck in your search. We are both getting punished for where we are in experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

How much would you like to make per hour or yearly ?

I made $25 hr at my old job, my current job pays $19 hour but it will take 15 years to regain that $6 pay cut. I'm activity seeking other employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: So the fact that I dare state I would like to be paid a living wage eliminates me right there. I remember that not too long ago, you could answer that question with "negotiable". I really think it's moronic to think that someone that knows their talents and experience is going to low ball themselves on an application. It seems to me that by doing that, you are telling an employer that you don't think much of your own skill set. I truly HATE that question and you are probably right in how many people it quickly eliminates.

Your salary requirements is a numeric field now. Open or Negotiable doesn't work anymore.

The same technology that allows you to find a pair of purple bowling shoes in size 14 is the same technology that companies use to find their "perfect candidates" now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

19 months ago

What's that 40 cents a yr raise for the next 15 yrs to get to 25 bucks? You need to find yourself a J.R Ewing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DesertSunrise in Michigan

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I agree Jake. It's a no win situation. Someone like me with smarts and tons of experience are eliminated because it's hard to cover up the fact that I am not in my 20's or 30's. I really miss working in some of the small companies of the past where they hired the very young and the very old and made a great team out of them. I love working with young people. They keep me fresh. I think I have skills and maturity that I can offer back. Good luck in your search. We are both getting punished for where we are in experience.

I can't understand what employers want when it comes to experience. You're either too young or too old. Know too little or know too much. Haven't experienced enough or have experienced too much. There is no middle ground it seems. For example, most people would think someone in their thirties with 7-8+ years experience is the 'ideal' candidate. Not too old, not too young. But no, there's something wrong with the middle people too. We just don't know what it is.
I swear I'm about to kayak myself over to Switzerland. I'm fed up with the depressing situation this country is in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said:

Share some of the ads you have come across. We might as well have a laugh. It sure beats crying over what is NOT out there.

One company working with several recruiting agencies to fill several positions around here includes in requirements that "Longer durations at employers will be given first preference."

Which we all know is unheard of. *cough*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

19 months ago

I love it when they put 'only qualified candidates will be GRANTED an interview' .....whenever I see that I immediately close the ad. It comes off as incredibly arrogant..

*puts on snotty upper cut british accent* 'only those most deemed to have the specific and desirable qualities shall be granted an appointment with his highness the grand master interviewer'

Give me a break and please get over yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I know it. Here's a typical one...."Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling. Frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds....."

So we're not going hiking with a backpack then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: One company working with several recruiting agencies to fill several positions around here includes in requirements that "Longer durations at employers will be given first preference."

Which we all know is unheard of. *cough*

...And someone else will penalize you for showing you worked a long time for one employer. You are OLD in their eyes. I am convinced that ads are very sneaky in how they discriminate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario said: I love it when they put 'only qualified candidates will be GRANTED an interview' .....whenever I see that I immediately close the ad. It comes off as incredibly arrogant..

*puts on snotty upper cut british accent* 'only those most deemed to have the specific and desirable qualities shall be granted an appointment with his highness the grand master interviewer'

Give me a break and please get over yourself!

AMEN! I have the same reaction!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

19 months ago

Here's a listing a former coworker emailed to me with only "LOL" in the subject line:

www.healthcaresource.com/osf/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.jobDetails&template=dsp_job_details.cfm&cJobId=107763

Give this listing a good look and ask yourself if you think they're actually looking to fill this position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: So we're not going hiking with a backpack then?

Ha ha! I wonder what a receptionist really would be doing here. It's probably just a bunch of hooey to discourage anyone less than young and athletic to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois said: Here's a listing a former coworker emailed to me with only "LOL" in the subject line:

www.healthcaresource.com/osf/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.jobDetails&template=dsp_job_details.cfm&cJobId=107763

Give this listing a good look and ask yourself if you think they're actually looking to fill this position.

Yikes!! I wonder what kind of salary they are offering for all that?

Can I design my own long list of what kind of employer I would like to work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

19 months ago

I have the perfect ad for this topic, except at this time they don't have it posted. It will be, because they hire for designers about 4 times a year. The ad scares me just reading it. They want someone to come up with 100 t-shirt designs a week or something impossible like that. The ad used to say that if you weren't able to do that job "pretty soon you'll be crying." It really said that.

I did find this for a customer service rep in one of the ads: "Able to work in an environment which involves Intense Discussions around you when projects are proceeding in the wrong direction or falling behind." In other words, be prepared to get yelled at a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Sycamore, Illinois

19 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Yikes!! I wonder what kind of salary they are offering for all that?

Can I design my own long list of what kind of employer I would like to work for?

I know the employer and the region, and it won't be much.

But seriously - all that garbage under the KSA section? Those are desired qualifications, perhaps, and even then that's asking for a ridiculous level of specificity. That's a classic case of them having an employee they like now, and who does all that stuff, but who's leaving the company. So they write a description around all the myriad things that current person hoping to get a cookie-cutter replacement. That's common for hiring managers to do - but WHERE IS THE HR ANALYST? THAT person needs to send this description BACK to the hiring manager and say, pare this down and get real real. For goodness sake, use the interview process to find some of these skills.

This is all I see in my field. I've been looking for 6 months and all I ever see are these comically stupid job descriptions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

19 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I have the perfect ad for this topic, except at this time they don't have it posted. It will be, because they hire for designers about 4 times a year. The ad scares me just reading it. They want someone to come up with 100 t-shirt designs a week or something impossible like that. The ad used to say that if you weren't able to do that job "pretty soon you'll be crying." It really said that.

I did find this for a customer service rep in one of the ads: "Able to work in an environment which involves Intense Discussions around you when projects are proceeding in the wrong direction or falling behind." In other words, be prepared to get yelled at a lot.

Oh My Freaking Gawd! That takes the cake for arrogance and potential abuse. So sad that employers like this KNOW there are applicants desperate enough to subject themselves to this kind of thing. I'm afraid the days of working in a sweatshop may not be out of the question in the future if something doesn't change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.