My Frustration with the News Media as it relates to Jobs and the Economy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 93)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

15 months ago

I've been unemployed off/on for almost 4 years now!!! I noticed when I first lost my job (back in 2009) there was extensive coverage about the recession, loss of jobs, etc... Over the years however I've noticed hardly any coverage at all.

CNN used to have real people give a "30 second Pitch", in which they would have 30 seconds to talk about their resumes. At some point CNN stopped this. CNN also use to actually go to unemployed people's houses and help explain what's it like to be unemployed. That eventually stopped.

MSNBC and CNN (sorry, I never look at Fox) now only talk about the Job Market on the first Friday of ever month when the official jobs report comes out, and that is even only 2 minutes of a discussion, if you blink or go to the bathroom, you will totally miss the report.

So now I've started looking at Bloomberg TV and CNBC but they only talk about stocks, bonds, trades, etc... It's so above my head until I can't understand what they are talking about. But they are the only channels that will spend more than 2 minutes talking about jobs and the economy, unfortunately it's from an investors point of view instead of the everyday person.

How is it possible that something that affects over 20 million people not be considered top headline news every damn day. The unemployment rate actually went up last month (May 2013 to 7.6), IBM is letting go over 6,000 people, FedEx is letting go over 3,600 people...how in the hell is this not breaking news!?!??!

Is there any tv channel out there that focuses on the economy and jobs????!?!?

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations.
My name is Tiffiney, I'm a web developer, been unemployed since 2009, live in the north suburbs of Chicago, 15 years experience, B.S. Computer Science, M.S. Software Engineering. Black Single Female no kids, When I was let go I was in my 30's, I am now in my 40's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

15 months ago

It's not TV, but NPR still talks about the economy pretty regularly. The "Marketplace" series of programs is on daily. Sometimes general information programs, such as "On Point," will have various aspects of the economy as their topic too. A little while back, my local station did a special series about the local economy along a state route highway. These programs are generally available as free podcasts, which I like because I don't always catch the radio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: How is it possible that something that affects over 20 million people not be considered top headline news every damn day.

You're not the only one who'd like to know right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I've been unemployed off/on for almost 4 years now!!! I noticed when I first lost my job (back in 2009) there was extensive coverage about the recession, loss of jobs, etc... Over the years however I've noticed hardly any coverage at all.

CNN used to have real people give a "30 second Pitch", in which they would have 30 seconds to talk about their resumes. At some point CNN stopped this. CNN also use to actually go to unemployed people's houses and help explain what's it like to be unemployed. That eventually stopped.

MSNBC and CNN (sorry, I never look at Fox) now only talk about the Job Market on the first Friday of ever month when the official jobs report comes out, and that is even only 2 minutes of a discussion, if you blink or go to the bathroom, you will totally miss the report.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations.
My name is Tiffiney, I'm a web developer, been unemployed since 2009, live in the north suburbs of Chicago, 15 years experience, B.S. Computer Science, M.S. Software Engineering. Black Single Female no kids, When I was let go I was in my 30's, I am now in my 40's.

Before Rome fell, the Caesars instituted a media campaign known as bread and circuses (panem et circenses. It was an attempt and a successful one to divert attention away from more pressing issues.

When you see the endless stories about Lindsay Lohan, the Kardashians or the 98 year old weight lifter, you are seeing the modern version of this.

Since many people HAVE NOT been affected by The Great Recession, the unemployment figures are important to only two groups of people: The unemployed and politicians running for re-election.

No politician can ever hope to be elective without making jobs a campaign promise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois

15 months ago

It gets worse, the stock market just went down over 300 pts., CNN and MSNBC instead choose to talk about the Soporano's guy and the jury selection for the George Zimmerman trial. My only means of income at this point is my IRA so the stock market going down over 300pts. is more important to me right now. UGGGHHH!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: It gets worse, the stock market just went down over 300 pts., CNN and MSNBC instead choose to talk about the Soporano's guy and the jury selection for the George Zimmerman trial. My only means of income at this point is my IRA so the stock market going down over 300pts. is more important to me right now. UGGGHHH!!!!!

Those 20 million unemployed people that you referred to were at one time consumers. There is your disconnect right there.

Course, some authors say that this might all be part of the plan. I am sure that certain parts of the economy are putting in buy orders right now. This is part of the New Economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: It gets worse, the stock market just went down over 300 pts., CNN and MSNBC instead choose to talk about the Soporano's guy and the jury selection for the George Zimmerman trial. My only means of income at this point is my IRA so the stock market going down over 300pts. is more important to me right now. UGGGHHH!!!!!

The market will recover as next weeks rosy employment numbers are being written today. LOL! When it does, move your money into treasuries. We can always print money.

This market is way overvalued. I say that from 15 years experience in the old brick and mortar securities industry.

jahennessy067@gmail.com in Louisville, Kentucky

15 months ago

That's because the media is protective of Obama. I know how Tiffaney feels. When I see people who have jobs, they think nothing is wrong. I am a graduate trying to get my job and have to work at a lower job outside of my chosen field. And still struggling. I can go on and on, but what's the point now.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Before Rome fell, the Caesars instituted a media campaign known as bread and circuses (panem et circenses. It was an attempt and a successful one to divert attention away from more pressing issues.

When you see the endless stories about Lindsay Lohan, the Kardashians or the 98 year old weight lifter, you are seeing the modern version of this.

Since many people HAVE NOT been affected by The Great Recession, the unemployment figures are important to only two groups of people: The unemployed and politicians running for re-election.

No politician can ever hope to be elective without making jobs a campaign promise.

Good points Blue! *)

Tiffiney, Thanks for sharing this information. I wonder the same thing! :\

I can't seem to get any kind of break for employment; part time, full time, temp.... The gap of unemployment on my resume is growing, but how can I fill that gap when I'm competing with 1000 applications for one position...it sucks! =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I'm a web developer, been unemployed since 2009, live in the north suburbs of Chicago, 15 years experience, B.S. Computer Science, M.S. Software Engineering.

If you read / listen / watch the news, you would know that you are lying, that your situation is impossible, and, not only that, you have dozens of offers in the low 6-figures. In fact, your situation is so impossible that we must increase the H1-B visa cap.

I don't know why I try to stay in this business. It sucks so badly it isn't funny.

Oh, and when was the last time CNN ran a piece on over 40 IT workers? Fox probably did something that proclaimed the benefits of the free market and globalization. Sigh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

jahennessy067@gmail.com in Louisville, Kentucky said: That's because the media is protective of Obama.

Do you know how many people blamed the media for protecting Bush when he was president? The media is just dumb, bad or incompetent.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Oh, and when was the last time CNN ran a piece on over 40 IT workers? Fox probably did something that proclaimed the benefits of the free market and globalization. Sigh!

Over 40 IT workers? Isn't that like over 40 topless dancers? Not a big demand for either.

B-Ball in Alabama

15 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Do you know how many people blamed the media for protecting Bush when he was president? The media is just dumb, bad or incompetent.

Media protecting Bush?? It was an all out assault on Bush for 8 years, the exception being Fox, with them you might have a point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I've been unemployed off/on for almost 4 years now!!! I noticed when I first lost my job (back in 2009) there was extensive coverage about the recession, loss of jobs, etc... Over the years however I've noticed hardly any coverage at a

Tiffany,

Thanks for the post. This has really bothered me lately as well. Some weeks back I posted "Have we been forgotten" and it was the same sentiments you expressed that prompted me. And in addition to us "old folks" Five years of recent college grads are working at Starbucks and such.

15 months ago

"How is it possible that something that affects over 20 million people not be considered top headline news every damn day. The unemployment rate actually went up last month (May 2013 to 7.6), IBM is letting go over 6,000 people, FedEx is letting go over 3,600 people...how in the hell is this not breaking news!?!??!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

15 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas said: "How is it possible that something that affects over 20 million people not be considered top headline news every damn day. The unemployment rate actually went up last month (May 2013 to 7.6), IBM is letting go over 6,000 people, FedEx is letting go over 3,600 people...how in the hell is this not breaking news!?!??!"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I read the same article Almost and I couldn't agree with you more! :\

Yeah, I know in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

I'm in your situation Tiffany. I am approaching five years of unemployment, after applying for numerous jobs, making a stupid mistake with a temp job and still fighting. I have a Masters in Business Administration and a Bachelor's Degree in English.

I am afraid to use my Masters these days because I may be deemed overqualified.

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

15 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: It's not TV, but NPR still talks about the economy pretty regularly. The "Marketplace" series of programs is on daily. Sometimes general information programs, such as "On Point," will have various aspects of the economy as their topic too. A little while back, my local station did a special series about the local economy along a state route highway. These programs are generally available as free podcasts, which I like because I don't always catch the radio.

Love NPR and yes, I think they are the only ones willing to talk about real issues.

I too wonder why so many other things get the press coverage it does considering how many people are literally on the brink of bankruptcy with no way out; people that were our middle class.

Seriously...how long will this go on before the economy completely tanks? Even the wealthy can't be happy with that prospect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I can't afford to take my master's degree off because then, I haven't worked in my field in 15 years....ohmyohmy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas said: I can't afford to take my master's degree off because then, I haven't worked in my field in 15 years....ohmyohmy

Yup! That makes you either a trophy wife who was replaced with a newer model or you just got out early for good behavior.

That's what companies think!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Yeah, I know in Brooklyn, New York said: I am afraid to use my Masters these days because I may be deemed overqualified.

I often take mine off. Very common today.

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I often take mine off. Very common today.

I just use my Bachelor's Degree. I have some experience, based on jobs I have done in college so I am still looking for entry work in my field.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

Tiffiney,

I had to work 2 part-time jobs for 3.5 years just to avoid touching my 401K.

Read www.dailyjobcuts.com and see all the job cuts.

Obama Care will definitely hurt job growth. Many places only want 25 hour per week contract employees / staffing. I work in healthcare and most new hires are part-time, no benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Yup! That makes you either a trophy wife who was replaced with a newer model or you just got out early for good behavior.

That's what companies think!

I raised a fabulous kid who will have NO student loan debt, and a nice inheritance from her father.

I wished the other part about get the master's degree and a good job when she grows up had worked out

15 months ago

Yeah, I know in Brooklyn, New York said: I just use my Bachelor's Degree. I have some experience, based on jobs I have done in college so I am still looking for entry work in my field.

And what is that field?

15 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Tiffiney,

I had to work 2 part-time jobs for 3.5 years just to avoid touching my 401K.

Read www.dailyjobcuts.com and see all the job cuts.

Obama Care will definitely hurt job growth. Many places only want 25 hour per week contract employees / staffing. I work in healthcare and most new hires are part-time, no benefits.

Sorry to burst your bubble Beth, but the president has little to do with the economy. And it you really want to point at the cost of health insurance, look who is getting rich off the backs of the people that are still insured. But hey, blaming one man makes it easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Good points Blue! *)

Tiffiney, Thanks for sharing this information. I wonder the same thing! :\

I can't seem to get any kind of break for employment; part time, full time, temp.... The gap of unemployment on my resume is growing, but how can I fill that gap when I'm competing with 1000 applications for one position...it sucks! =(

Mine too Cat. And now I am starting to see more and more people "working under the table" for cash because employers don't want to get involved with giving benefits and having to pay extra tax should they need to lay off people in the near future. If you work for cash, how can you put that on your resume?

15 months ago

The Obozo administration says Unemployment is 7.6 %.

That is the reason why there is no longer any interest to interview folks looking for work. Everything is sunshine and roses with Obozo.

I guess that's why I worked 2 part-time jobs for 3.5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas said: And what is that field?

Healthcare Management.

15 months ago

So like administrator of nursing home or home health care agency?

15 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas said: So like administrator of nursing home or home health care agency?

Yeah. I've been trying to get a job with my uncle's hospital-entry level but no luck so far.

15 months ago

You mean your uncle works there, or owns the hospital?
Have you volunteered there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Mine too Cat. And now I am starting to see more and more people "working under the table" for cash because employers don't want to get involved with giving benefits and having to pay extra tax should they need to lay off people in the near future. If you work for cash, how can you put that on your resume?

Exactly...it's so frustrating! =\

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Over 40 IT workers? Isn't that like over 40 topless dancers? Not a big demand for either.

I actually saw what I'm trying to do as an exit from IT. Business Intelligence/Reporting/Analysis is kind of a step back from it. But they hire the same way so it really isn't a change, at all.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: The Obozo administration says Unemployment is 7.6 %.

That is the reason why there is no longer any interest to interview folks looking for work. Everything is sunshine and roses with Obozo.

I guess that's why I worked 2 part-time jobs for 3.5 years.

all obamas fault that poor beth had to work 2 jobs. that never happened before to any one in history. boo hoo hoo. and i hear big companies are giving away jobs because they care and they hate obama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

You can either sit on your butt and not work, getting depressed as the years pass you by while you burn through your life savings...

Or get a part-time job(s) and get back into the workforce.

Grumpy Cat attitude won't get you anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

15 months ago

Tiffiney in Northbrook,
this is my FIFTH summer of unemployment! I have not worked at all cept for a job that lasted for 1 month which I'd just as soon forget and do not mention it to employers since being let go from a temp job is not gonna make one MORE desireable.
This was unfortunately the ONLY agency who would hire me. I gave up on temp jobs long ago, either I got no response at all or was told to "keep in touch" which after a yr. with NO assignments gets old, plus everytime I did my recruiter was "in a meeting and would you like to leave a voicemail" which was never returned.

As far as newsmedia when it was announced that the Recession ended in June of 2009, coverage started to drop off. I do believe the media is censored by the Government and the Government has a lot more control over what is printed and what is on TV and i-net that most people consider. It is true that negative news on the economy will not help stimulate it so that's why I think this became an "off topic" plus for the millions who ARE emloyed and doing OK, it can be quite a drag to read about/listen to or watch about "those other" people who seem to have problems. If you had 100% health insurance thru employer would you be interested in those who don't have insurance at all?

I also wonder alot what the real UE numbers are. Being unemployed for over 2 years is NOT the norm, having a p/t job instead of a f/t job esp. for woman likely IS the norm but no luck with getting one of those either.
The dentist i went to today has 2 part timers, one of them quit for a f/t job as her husband had been out of work for gasp ALMOST 4 MONTHS, she was able to get a f/t job and it did not take her months/years. I asked the Dr. if he was hiring a replacement for her - 1st. he said "no he'll try to muddle along" then "he'll keep me in mind" NOT that I am qualified to be a dental assist. & not sure I really want to being very squeamish.

The cash economy, yeh wish I culd get a piece of THAT.

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

15 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: all obamas fault that poor beth had to work 2 jobs. that never happened before to any one in history. boo hoo hoo. and i hear big companies are giving away jobs because they care and they hate obama.

He's not exactly doing a fantastic job. I have yet to be impressed. It would take a lot to impress me at this point.

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

15 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: You can either sit on your butt and not work, getting depressed as the years pass you by while you burn through your life savings...

Or get a part-time job(s) and get back into the workforce.

That is, if you can find a part time job that will even hire. Don't worry, they will lay you off after about 6 months because things got slow. That's how it works these days. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erik R in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Tiffiney O in Northbrook, Illinois said: I've been unemployed off/on for almost 4 years now!!! I noticed when I first lost my job (back in 2009) there was extensive coverage about the recession, loss of jobs, etc... Over the years however I've noticed hardly any coverage at all.

Wait, near Chicago? What skill-set? Have you been staying on top of the technology? Not judging. It's just odd to me that you've had a problem finding work in Chicago and wondering if maybe you're missing something. I'm a UI dev (no degree) going on generalist working a with a generalist/java dev and we've been fighting off recruiters with a stick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Erik, the Chicago job market in general hasn't been good for going on six years.

As to the main topic, I'd say the media doesn't cover job loss and unemployment because everyone knows the job situation is bad, they're sick of hearing about it, it doesn't sell and because the media loves the guy in the White House.

There are also several disconnects in this country. People making a lot of money are doing fine and getting richer with the rise in the market despite the economy and jobs doing little. People in the middle are treading water. People down below are screwed. And people from all three groups (mostly the latter two) are going to pipe down because they're fans of the dude on Pennsylvania Avenue.

15 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Geronimo, Texas said: You mean your uncle works there, or owns the hospital?
Have you volunteered there?

He works there. And I've tried the volunteer thing. I think I'm going to try again.

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

15 months ago

The media's coverage of the recession is from the point of view of the winners of society--namely, the upper middle class and the rich, who are ,overall, doing well. The other thing that affects media coverage is that many modestly successful people, from the guy who runs a small blue collar business to the high tech knowledge worker, who has multiple degrees from top schools, believe that that many people who aren't employed simply refuse to work hard, OR are too inept to get a job. If the main reason for why someone can't get a job is believed to be him/herself , why would anyone expect the media to keep bringing up unemployment in conversation as if it was a widespread social problem? There's a large percentage of the population that believes that unemployment is a personal choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Average in Everett, Massachusetts said: The media's coverage of the recession is from the point of view of the winners of society--namely, the upper middle class and the rich, who are ,overall, doing well. The other thing that affects media coverage is that many modestly successful people, from the guy who runs a small blue collar business to the high tech knowledge worker, who has multiple degrees from top schools, believe that that many people who aren't employed simply refuse to work hard, OR are too inept to get a job. If the main reason for why someone can't get a job is believed to be him/herself , why would anyone expect the media to keep bringing up unemployment in conversation as if it was a widespread social problem? There's a large percentage of the population that believes that unemployment is a personal choice.

I did an internship in a newsroom and you cannot inure your audience with the same stories or they will switch and watch the guy with 19 kids.

We would get 20 requests from the police a day asking for the publics' help. Our limit was 2 a day. You still need room for other news, weather, sports and the 98 year old female body builder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

A few minutes ago on the tv news, the claim was that the dear governor of MD has declared that this state has recovered 95% of the job which were lost during the "Bush recession". I'm calling a Big old BS on that claim. If (a huge, very big if) 95% of the folks in this state are back to work, I would guarantee many are under employed.

Why do I watch the lies that is called "news"???????

Lostmyhope in Virginia

15 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: He's not exactly doing a fantastic job. I have yet to be impressed. It would take a lot to impress me at this point.

i agree. nothing is better with him in there. problem is that this all started a long time before obama. i just get annoyed that some think one guy can change this. i never thought that.

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

15 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: A few minutes ago on the tv news, the claim was that the dear governor of MD has declared that this state has recovered 95% of the job which were lost during the "Bush recession". I'm calling a Big old BS on that claim. If (a huge, very big if) 95% of the folks in this state are back to work, I would guarantee many are under employed.

Why do I watch the lies that is called "news"???????

Does it mean that MD has 5% of former active workforce still unemployed ? (That aside from whatever percentage was unemployed prior to that).

IF (that is big IF) numbers are correct I still wonder how come every posted job gets 100-200 applicants ? You would think there would be a lot less pressure on job market if only relatively small margin of population was unemployed.

What is the patter here? And where do they get those numbers from? Who did the statistics? How did they count the 95% figure?

Questions, questions.....

P.S. I will tell you this though: Centrist Dem party ended with Clinton.
We no longer have a Centrist faction.
All we have now is the Right wing Right and a Right Wing that pretends with audacity to be Liberal, aka Obama admin.
We need a Centrist coalition, we need workable, acceptable to majority solutions.

15 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: i agree. nothing is better with him in there. problem is that this all started a long time before obama. i just get annoyed that some think one guy can change this. i never thought that.

Bill Clinton was one guy and from what I can tell he did a 180 degree swing on economy and by the time he left we had a surplus.
With things going way they were the past 5 years, when Obama leaves our debt will be in the neighborhood of 20-30 trillion dollars, with a huge deficit, need to borrow and urge to cut,all more than ever before.
I didn't think Bush was good after Clinton (in terms of economy, jobs, domestic policies), but compared to Obama I think Bush years were a Heaven.

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

15 months ago

Interesting comments today, a completely separate thread should be devoted to "is long term unemployment a societal problem or individual responsibility"? I really don't know tho tend to lean towards individual responsibility, survival of the fittest type of philosophy. Are we our brother's keeper? I am personally not that altruistic that I'd care about the huddled masses if I had a job and even if i ever WERE to get one, it's not like I'd be working w/e at the soup kitchen to help the less fortunate.

I have never blamed my own unemployment on anyone/anything OUTSIDE myself but ME(maybe my parents who never taught me any life skills whatsoever but many with negligent upbringing end up just fine so).

What is worse than being ignored by the media is the weekly reports I read in the local paper (owned by giant Hearst Media) how WELL things are going. Jobs, jobs, jobs and MORE jobs, over 30 % of jobs lost during the recession have been recovered in CT (the way it presented they put a really positive spin on it) PLUS the % seems to vary from like 30 to 40 something% last I read - still NOT close to 100% recovery. The fact of the matter is I suspect the majority of new jobs are being filled by those allready employed or recently unemployed NOT those who became unemployed during the Great? Recession.

Reading the news can just give one a headache and not sure there's any pt. in it when your own reality differs so much from everyone else's. I still have not heard back from my social worker re: Medicaid and faxed a letter via a free online fax service this a.m., asking for confirmation which never got. Am sure my social worker notices how he is slaving away on a too full caseload while someone like me simply "refuses" to get a job; he'd told me w/o giving specific reason he doubts I will ever work?
My next door neighbor had assumed i am REFUSING jobs since anyone with 1/2 a brain can "get" a one as if they grew on trees and one just plucked it off like an appl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut said: Interesting comments today, a completely separate thread should be devoted to "is long term unemployment a societal problem or individual responsibility"? I really don't know tho tend to lean towards individual responsibility, survival of the fittest type of philosophy. Are we our brother's keeper? I am personally not that altruistic that I'd care about the huddled masses if I had a job and even if i ever WERE to get one, it's not like I'd be working w/e at the soup kitchen to help the less fortunate.

I have never blamed my own unemployment on anyone/anything OUTSIDE myself but ME(maybe my parents who never taught me any life skills whatsoever but many with negligent upbringing end up just fine so).

On a humorous note: why don't you put up a sign "I AM A PRO-CORPORATE SOCIALIST!!!" and stand in front of some big company headquarters? Who knows, they may hire you without looking into your resume or doing any kind of criminal background checks.

As to me, I am not Marxist-Leninist. When I see one group of people pitted against another I smell rat. Be it "Rich people are your woe!" or "Poor people are you woe!", I know both slogans are product of Marxist-Leninist mindset.

I am pro-Capitalist, I believe we are all part of the same country and pitting one half against another is a way to civil war and destruction rather than prosperity.

I love America way too much to join the ranks of Neo-Marxists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.