Need Advice - Car Salesman going somewhere new - HELP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jason Biggs in Austin, Texas

76 months ago

I too also work at a car dealership and if you were selling 40+ cars a month and only making $4000/m you were getting ripped off big time. at my dealership if you were selling that many cars you would be getting 30% of gross plus major bonuses. I sell around 8-10 a month and make $4000 grand. ithink you should really consisder that new car dealership because they will take much better care of you than the smaller ones will. I would also suggest that you stick with some of the import brands like honda toyota and nissan. those domestics just dont do as well. any how keep up the good work and 40 cars is highly impressive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Glendora, California

76 months ago

Just a suggestion to the OP. What would hold you back if you accepted the offer from the small company and worked there lets say for 1-2 months then the bigger dealership offered you better overall benefits and moved there?

Although I am not in sales nor in automobile industry but I have been offered a management trainee program with Rent A Car (have not accepted yet and not sure if I would or not) but I have lost an opportunity to work with a company that I considered their pay less than what I desire and now I am very sotty.

If i was you and you no more want to work in your current company, then accept the offer from the smaller company, even if you have to commute, then wait for better opportunity. The economy is slow today and the job market has a lot to offer to employers; therefore, any good income should be invested without hesitation.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Gannon in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

I think my husband is being royally ripped off at his Honda dealership sales job. The dealership has the lowest sales of any Honda dealership in so Cal due to their high prices and unwillingness to deal. Yet, my husband has rarely been paid more than $100 per new car sold - even an Odyssey. This is his first car sales job but I don't believe it when the dealership tells him that they have'lost money' on most of his car deals. He's sold over 100 cars in 8 months and has no draw or health benefits. He's concerned about changing dealerships right now with the economy but I notice that there has been several turnovers in management and salespeople in the 8 months he has been there.

Since I know others raise families on auto sales incomes, I'd like to know if this is the norm.

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

wishtosellcars in Eureka, California

61 months ago

Was wondering if anyone is in a state where you need a sales license? I do, but I cant get one I guess becuase I have a misdameaner that is 9 years old, for statutory rape. Not sure what that has to do with selling cars, but the sales manager really wanted to hire me? Isnt there a way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Money in Danbury, Connecticut

53 months ago

GM Dealership is $150 mini, 20% front end. both plans on new and used, but we give away all the cars and 90% of the last 30 cars i did were all $150 a pop. Did 5 cars in one day, but our bonus structure sucks. 13 cars for first tier, perfect CSI, and Training Maxed out.

BMW around here is offering $100 mini, which I hear is rare in a BMW store. 15% front and 5% back on NEW CARS. 19% Front and 5% back on USED CARS. bonus at perfect CSI and 10 cars. PLUS at 10 cars you get a $500 demo allowance.

So the Question is....Volume at minis and Random Bonuses...or...GROSS and averaging 8-10 cars? Obviously the potential is to make more on luxury german cars, but you won't do the volume. whats your opinons?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Stinger6 in Radcliff, Kentucky

51 months ago

Linda Gannon in Los Angeles, California said: I think my husband is being royally ripped off at his Honda dealership sales job. The dealership has the lowest sales of any Honda dealership in so Cal due to their high prices and unwillingness to deal. Yet, my husband has rarely been paid more than $100 per new car sold - even an Odyssey. This is his first car sales job but I don't believe it when the dealership tells him that they have'lost money' on most of his car deals. He's sold over 100 cars in 8 months and has no draw or health benefits. He's concerned about changing dealerships right now with the economy but I notice that there has been several turnovers in management and salespeople in the 8 months he has been there.

Since I know others raise families on auto sales incomes, I'd like to know if this is the norm.

Thanks,

Okay, I've worked in both dealerships and Mom & Pop used car stores. Both have their good and bad points. Let me address your concerns...

1. Your husband is not getting ripped off by making $100.00 per new car. That is the normal commision for a new car. Salespeople make their money on new cars by selling quantity. Most dealerships will give you a peercentage of the gross (the profit) and on a new car that usually works out to around $100.00. However, if you sell over a certain amount of new cares (usually over 10) then the commision goes up. The place I worked at gave bumps at 10, 15, and 20 new cars sold, so when you sold over 15 cars that's when the money gets big. Also, if you work at a traditional dealership the manufacturer will provide what as know as spins. The salesman gets a quasi-debit card and the manufacturer thows money on it when you get over a certain amount of cars. THAT's how new car salespeople feed their families. The dealership I worked at was small and I wsa usually the top salesman selling between 18-20 new cars a month. I would usually pocket $4500.00 a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

How come a service manager at a large car dealership told me he does not even bother to remember the names of new car sales proffesionals. That these hardworking proffesionals only last maybe 3 weeks at most?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

drj042 in Bolingbrook, Illinois

49 months ago

Linda Gannon in Los Angeles, California said: I think my husband is being royally ripped off at his Honda dealership sales job. The dealership has the lowest sales of any Honda dealership in so Cal due to their high prices and unwillingness to deal. Yet, my husband has rarely been paid more than $100 per new car sold - even an Odyssey. This is his first car sales job but I don't believe it when the dealership tells him that they have'lost money' on most of his car deals. He's sold over 100 cars in 8 months and has no draw or health benefits. He's concerned about changing dealerships right now with the economy but I notice that there has been several turnovers in management and salespeople in the 8 months he has been there.

Thanks,

Your husband needs to learn how to hold gross and not give cars away. I sell at a Ford store and make about $400 on average for a new car and $750 on used. In order to make money in the auto industry you have to be able to sell units, and make GROSS! Unit bonuses are a must if you want to make any money so if he is selling between 10-20 cars a month he will make more money. When the dealers are saying they are losing money on all of his deals, that is the polite way of saying you may need a new job. If he is not comfortable holding gross, then he should look into working for Enterprise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

honda salesman

44 months ago

Get a copy of the recap on the deal so you can better understand gross profit and comission percentages. If he's really doing 40 cars a month he sshouldn't have a problem getting this. I've sold Honda's for 24 years averaging 39 cars for the past 10 years. 40 cars pays about 15-20K. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Infinitisalespro in Goodyear, Arizona

42 months ago

I was in construction, running a residential framing company in AZ. in 08, I was forced toclose my doors based on lack of work in troubled economy. I was devastated. Going from well into 6 figures to nil. Building homes was all I ever knew. I had to do something fast. I had a family of 4 to provide for and NO savings. I decided to give it a shot. My first year at the biz, I fell flat on my face. I did, however, meet and get to know some guys in the biz who were always consistent 10k+/mo. But they had been there for several years. This was at a large volume Nissan store. I realized there was a lot of money to be made. Hustling and selling cars was not enough, You have to mingle in the dealership, learn how, and who is chopping you up, and get to be freinds with people. Being punctual and dressing professionally are also important. The guys that run these places are very full of themselves, so showing respect is key, but no asskissing is also key, because then you become a mark. It is a very convoluted and corrupt business full of greedy ass holes with a mis aligned sense of entitlement, that should be something that easy to avoid after a while. You are going to get robbed and mistreated for a couple of years at least. We got a new Infiniti store. I was given the opportunty to sell that brand and let me tell you I have never seen easier money. Needy customers with disposable income and good credit. The nicest cars on the road, and a very generous company that throws out spins on new cars that are SILLY. Dec. I made $6,000 in just spins alone and another $6,000 in gross. I have been making great money ever since. Occasionally I take one for the team and watch a 2 to 3 grand front end get moved to the back. The reasons they give are still a mystery to me, but I get taken care of. Thank you car biz. It's like any other business. NO ONE EVER hits the ground running. Listening, and patterning behavior of the successful guys is the key. Be able to handle rejection!~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SalesGuy in Victorville, California

39 months ago

Stinger6 in Radcliff, Kentucky said: 1. Your husband is not getting ripped off by making $100.00 per new car. That is the normal commision for a new car.QUOTE]

THIS IS THE PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY! - Just because all dealerships are doing this does not mean that the sales person is notting getting ripped off. There was a time in this country when a sales person was considered a valuable asset. The mindset that a sales person should recieve only $100-$150 for selling a $40,000 vehicle is just sick and is an example of what is happening to the middle class in this country. You have to believe that the dealership owners are not just motivated to keep the largest profit posssible, but that these rich arisocrats are actually motivated to keep others from coming up in class. How many sals do you think a dealership would actually lose if the just raised bottom line sales price (the lowest price at which they are willing to part with a vehicle) by $200.00 and then added that $200.00 to the $100 or $150.00 they are currently paying. I guarantee this policy would not cause a single sale to be lost and would virtually guarantee all of their resonably productive sales people at least middle class wages!

When they steal from one of us, we call it theft. When they steal from all of us, we call it "Industry Standard"!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Porter, Texas

39 months ago

Can you tell me how much finance managers make from Extended Service policy sales?

They should pay you guys atleast $500.00 per car.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

toyota girl in Holly Springs, North Carolina

35 months ago

I work for a rather large toyota dealership in Fayetteville nc, its a high volume store with 40 sales people but still not enough traffic for 40 people. I've been there almost 2 months now, my first month i sold 12 cars both new and used at sticker price and most of them bought the warranties and add-ons. I'm wodering if my mangers are stealing my profit. For instance i sold a 2012 camary XLE at stick price which is 35,000 and only made 100 bucks. Then i sold a used 4-runner at sticker which was 22,000 with 125,000 miles and only made 100. ALL MY CAR DEALS BOTH NEW AND USED HAVE BEEN MINI'S. i confronted my mangers several times about it and they say they are looser deals.. how at sticker price?? I use to be a shot girl at a local bar and usually made 300 a night and how is it possible i work 240hrs a month and can't make my draw... Right now i'm negative 400 bucks working like this.. What dealerships treat there employees the best??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

internet toyota manager in Santa Clara, California

34 months ago

toyota girl in Holly Springs, North Carolina said: I work for a rather large toyota dealership in Fayetteville nc, its a high volume store with 40 sales people but still not enough traffic for 40 people. I've been there almost 2 months now, my first month i sold 12 cars both new and used at sticker price and most of them bought the warranties and add-ons. I'm wodering if my mangers are stealing my profit. For instance i sold a 2012 camary XLE at stick price which is 35,000 and only made 100 bucks. Then i sold a used 4-runner at sticker which was 22,000 with 125,000 miles and only made 100. ALL MY CAR DEALS BOTH NEW AND USED HAVE BEEN MINI'S. i confronted my mangers several times about it and they say they are looser deals.. how at sticker price?? I use to be a shot girl at a local bar and usually made 300 a night and how is it possible i work 240hrs a month and can't make my draw... Right now i'm negative 400 bucks working like this.. What dealerships treat there employees the best??

If you sold the camry xle at full sticker, you should make around 4-500 after pack, now, unless your sales manager rolled the front end gross to back end so finance can get paid, then its timeto speak with hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Springfield, Massachusetts

34 months ago

Jason Biggs in Austin, Texas said: I too also work at a car dealership and if you were selling 40+ cars a month and only making $4000/m you were getting ripped off big time. at my dealership if you were selling that many cars you would be getting 30% of gross plus major bonuses. I sell around 8-10 a month and make $4000 grand. ithink you should really consisder that new car dealership because they will take much better care of you than the smaller ones will. I would also suggest that you stick with some of the import brands like honda toyota and nissan. those domestics just dont do as well. any how keep up the good work and 40 cars is highly impressive.

I don't know the market of any cara but to sell every car at sticker sounds impossible. Especially at a high volume large dealership. You don't become a high volume store by holding gross on 100% of deals. Used cars could have been old units. But I will admit $100 on all 12 deals is real WRONG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

matthew burt in mount vernon, Washington

34 months ago

toyota girl in Holly Springs, North Carolina said: I work for a rather large toyota dealership in Fayetteville nc, its a high volume store with 40 sales people but still not enough traffic for 40 people. I've been there almost 2 months now, my first month i sold 12 cars both new and used at sticker price and most of them bought the warranties and add-ons. I'm wodering if my mangers are stealing my profit. For instance i sold a 2012 camary XLE at stick price which is 35,000 and only made 100 bucks. Then i sold a used 4-runner at sticker which was 22,000 with 125,000 miles and only made 100. ALL MY CAR DEALS BOTH NEW AND USED HAVE BEEN MINI'S. i confronted my mangers several times about it and they say they are looser deals.. how at sticker price?? I use to be a shot girl at a local bar and usually made 300 a night and how is it possible i work 240hrs a month and can't make my draw... Right now i'm negative 400 bucks working like this.. What dealerships treat there employees the best??

I work at Foothills Toyota, our minis are $200 and we have good gross on our used vehicles... they are fair and have a great customer base which is what allows them to do so well towards thier employees. something is going on with your pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RAFAEL PERALTA in Fort Lee, New Jersey

27 months ago

HI, I JUST STARTED MY CAREER AS A PROFESSIONAL CAR SALESMAN. I WILL BE REAL, I LOVE IT AND WANT TO SUCCEED. NO NEED TO LIE JUST BE REAL.
HONESTY SALES AND THAT IS WHAT I HAVE TO OFFER. SO IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE TO GIVE TO ME. JUST COMMENT AND I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Wurtsboro, New York

26 months ago

I thought about selling cars.

Just can't find a good dealership to sell for.

True story.

I thought about selling for this local Toyota. I researched it and found that the owner's son is being sued for harrassing 3 female employees. So I'm thinking this could happen to anyone of us, it doesn't make it true just cause someone is sueing you.

Anyway posted on youtube is Paul Teutel Jr. going to this Toyota with his beautiful girlfriend wanting to buy a truck. Teutel is the motorbike builder on tv.

Well, the owner's son of the dealership in the youtube video is caught checking out Paul Teutel's girlfriend butt. I realized more than likely the charges are probably true after that.

Then would I really want to work for the owner's son??? You can tell the son is one of those Jersey Shore looking guys who was handed everything by his dad.

I wouldn't mind selling cars if I could find the right dealership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

These clowns are right there with recruiters. Nothing more needs to be said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

ToyMan in Denver, Colorado said: This is so depressing reading all of these. I work at a Toyota dealership and I've only been there 6 months and if I made less than $6,000 in a month I'd be pissed. My friend, who sells more than everyone else every month, makes $15k-$20k easily. A few months ago, his paycheck was $28,000. This business isn't worth it if you're not making $100k/yr. AT LEAST

This is typical car jockey talk. It's all a crock. Everything they say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

Some car salesmen make an OK living, the other salesmen starve.

If Paul's GF was a gorgeous kitten... wouldn't you be checking her out?
I'm sure you would offer the red carpet treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

around where i live they make on average 60k probably working 5 days 12 hour days.

google: Jardine Teutel Toyota Youtube

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

higher end cars they make more than 60k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

Why not try a Honda or Toyota dealership?

Most people that walk into those two dealers already have their mind made up exactly what they want. I know I did when I bought my Civic. As a salesman you have to negotiate the price.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marco Polanski in Niland, California

26 months ago

Jay Money in Danbury, Connecticut said: GM Dealership is $150 mini, 20% front end. both plans on new and used, but we give away all the cars and 90% of the last 30 cars i did were all $150 a pop. Did 5 cars in one day, but our bonus structure sucks. 13 cars for first tier, perfect CSI, and Training Maxed out.

BMW around here is offering $100 mini, which I hear is rare in a BMW store. 15% front and 5% back on NEW CARS. 19% Front and 5% back on USED CARS. bonus at perfect CSI and 10 cars. PLUS at 10 cars you get a $500 demo allowance.

So the Question is....Volume at minis and Random Bonuses...or...GROSS and averaging 8-10 cars? Obviously the potential is to make more on luxury german cars, but you won't do the volume. whats your opinons?

About your perfect CSI score- If your customer gives you perfect scores as the salesman but they get pissed at another dept like service or finance and give them something below perfect, does your CSI score suffer? Do you lose you spin money thru no fault of your own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

honda salesman said: Get a copy of the recap on the deal so you can better understand gross profit and comission percentages. If he's really doing 40 cars a month he sshouldn't have a problem getting this. I've sold Honda's for 24 years averaging 39 cars for the past 10 years. 40 cars pays about 15-20K. Good luck.

What if they refuse to give you one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Did you ever resolve this to your satisfaction? If so, how?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

internet toyota manager in Santa Clara, California said: If you sold the camry xle at full sticker, you should make around 4-500 after pack, now, unless your sales manager rolled the front end gross to back end so finance can get paid, then its timeto speak with hr

What if you go talk to HR and you get fired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

26 months ago

Marco Polanski in Niland, California said: What if they refuse to give you one?

As someone who isn't in the car game I have to ask, do you guys actually work in an environment where you don't see the entirety of the transaction so that you can verify your commission?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Timeno1990 in Lake City, Michigan

21 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: As someone who isn't in the car game I have to ask, do you guys actually work in an environment where you don't see the entirety of the transaction so that you can verify your commission?
I don't know about other dealerships because I only have worked for the one I work at now, but I get treated far better than many of the people above, I get paid on front and back end, and I get a clear statement of the cost/sale/gross profit and my commission amount which is 20% of the front and back end profit. I work at a Ford store by the way and I average 10-15 cars a month and make average 4-7k a month. Our top salesman makes 10k a month consistently

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Timeno1990 in Lake City, Michigan said: I don't know about other dealerships because I only have worked for the one I work at now, but I get treated far better than many of the people above, I get paid on front and back end, and I get a clear statement of the cost/sale/gross profit and my commission amount which is 20% of the front and back end profit. I work at a Ford store by the way and I average 10-15 cars a month and make average 4-7k a month. Our top salesman makes 10k a month consistently

What advice can you give for someone thinking about going into Car Sales?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Biggs in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

I would like to ask what dealership it is that you work for? Or email me at austinautohaulers@gmail.com. Thanks!!!! I've been working at a import dealer in used and not having much sucess!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Travler in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

Jason Biggs
I would like to ask what dealership it is that you work for? Or email me at austinautohaulers@gmail.com. Thanks!!!! I've been working at a import dealer in used and not having much sucess!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SeventhSystem in Greensboro, North Carolina

20 months ago

Sam in Glendora, California said: Just a suggestion to the OP. What would hold you back if you accepted the offer from the small company and worked there lets say for 1-2 months then the bigger dealership offered you better overall benefits and moved there?

Although I am not in sales nor in automobile industry but I have been offered a management trainee program with Rent A Car (have not accepted yet and not sure if I would or not) but I have lost an opportunity to work with a company that I considered their pay less than what I desire and now I am very sotty.

If i was you and you no more want to work in your current company, then accept the offer from the smaller company, even if you have to commute, then wait for better opportunity. The economy is slow today and the job market has a lot to offer to employers; therefore, any good income should be invested without hesitation.

Good luck

I work at JD Byrider, we get 300 per car sold flat rate. after 12 cars its 350 per car, anything over 14 cars its 400 per car. The top sales guy does about 20 per month, I have only been working there about a month and a half and only getting about 5-7 cars per month.... hours are long you they wont let you take your day off if your not on course to hit your numbers. so you only get sundays off (the only day we are closed)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

20 months ago

SeventhSystem in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I work at JD Byrider, we get 300 per car sold flat rate. after 12 cars its 350 per car, anything over 14 cars its 400 per car. The top sales guy does about 20 per month, I have only been working there about a month and a half and only getting about 5-7 cars per month.... hours are long you they wont let you take your day off if your not on course to hit your numbers. so you only get sundays off (the only day we are closed)

How does one get their leads??? Is it mostly all walk-ins?

I talked with someone briefly who told me he left a dealer because the owner was given all the internet business to one Salesperson?

How do you know at the interview if it's a good ethical place to work or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Taunton, Massachusetts

20 months ago

Thanks,

I just started to work as a salesman in a toyota dealership. I have not background on sales of any kind.
And yes I do make minies. Those are 100 but I have some deals where i make over 1k in one sale. Toyotas are not dificult to sell but am sure just as easy are hondas. Do to their reputation. I sell 20 cars a month i do make about 4 to 5 k a month. There are some sales people making less tham that but is their fault. If am going tonspent 12 hours a day at work i should try to do the best of it. There are some bad days but there are aome good ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

seventhsystem in Greensboro, North Carolina

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: How does one get their leads??? Is it mostly all walk-ins?

I talked with someone briefly who told me he left a dealer because the owner was given all the internet business to one Salesperson?

How do you know at the interview if it's a good ethical place to work or not?

since I currently work at the company, I will not be able to answer those questions on here... please shoot me an email: opseventhsystem@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Travler in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

Jason Biggs in Austin, Texas said: I too also work at a car dealership and if you were selling 40+ cars a month and only making $4000/m you were getting ripped off big time. at my dealership if you were selling that many cars you would be getting 30% of gross plus major bonuses. I sell around 8-10 a month and make $4000 grand. ithink you should really consisder that new car dealership because they will take much better care of you than the smaller ones will. I would also suggest that you stick with some of the import brands like honda toyota and nissan. those domestics just dont do as well. any how keep up the good work and 40 cars is highly impressive.

What dealership are you currently working?

ec_335 in houston, Texas

20 months ago

I've been in the business for about 12 years now, and I have done extremely well. I work for the #1 Nissan dealership in houston tx, and the best advice I can tell you is to go through proper training from a professional. Its just like college students go to college for 4-5 years to be able to get a $40k-$60k a year job, well invest about 2 weeks to a month and a whole lot less than college cost these days and you can make more than $40k-$60k a year, First year I made $50k and then after that $100k plus every year with the exception of 2 years during the height of the recession where it was $70k-$80k. I know of a great car guy that offers training and lands you a job. Email me at ec_335@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

guitargeek in Worcester, Massachusetts

19 months ago

I've been in the business since November 2012. I'm a big car guy and I know a lot about them but that isn't necessarily needed. Being a good salesman is like being a good interviewer. Do you ever hear Oprah talking about her day? Ask good questions to get the answers you need. Nothing is more powerful as a closing tool than "You told me Mr/Mrs customer that.... was important to you". Also you do not want to mention or try to 'sell' features about an automobile that they don't care about. How do you find out what is their 'hot button'? Ask good questions at the right time. I'm on pace to make 60k in my first year and it should be 70k but I've had some CSI (survey) issues which I have corrected. I made over $1200 dollars on my second car sold.

If you are not good at making people and cannot keep up a good CSI you will lose out on bonuses, percentage of the profits (from 25% to 20% here) and manufacturer SPIN money. With all those perks gone your 6-7k a month went to 4-5k. It can really hurt you where it counts. I plan on making at least 100k next year.

The only part I complain about is the hours. I have a family and it's tough when you only have one day off a week.

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

19 months ago

guitargeek in Worcester, Massachusetts said: I've been in the business since November 2012. I'm a big car guy and I know a lot about them but that isn't necessarily needed. Being a good salesman is like being a good interviewer. Do you ever hear Oprah talking about her day? Ask good questions to get the answers you need. Nothing is more powerful as a closing tool than "You told me Mr/Mrs customer that.... was important to you". Also you do not want to mention or try to 'sell' features about an automobile that they don't care about. How do you find out what is their 'hot button'? Ask good questions at the right time. I'm on pace to make 60k in my first year and it should be 70k but I've had some CSI (survey) issues which I have corrected. I made over $1200 dollars on my second car sold.

If you are not good at making people and cannot keep up a good CSI you will lose out on bonuses, percentage of the profits (from 25% to 20% here) and manufacturer SPIN money. With all those perks gone your 6-7k a month went to 4-5k. It can really hurt you where it counts. I plan on making at least 100k next year.

The only part I complain about is the hours. I have a family and it's tough when you only have one day off a week.

what kind of cars do you sell?

and

what is the population of the city that this dealership is in?

Hyundai Sales in Saint Charles, Missouri

19 months ago

Marco Polanski in Niland, California said: About your perfect CSI score- If your customer gives you perfect scores as the salesman but they get pissed at another dept like service or finance and give them something below perfect, does your CSI score suffer? Do you lose you spin money thru no fault of your own?

Yes, you can lose your spiff/bonus based on a bad CSI score. For example and this happened alot at the Hyundai Dealership I worked at; if your F and I manager pisses off your customer or is rated less then a 10, you get hit with his shortcomings. I've missed spiff money by a point or two because the customer was asked whether or not the dealership was easy to locate, if they say 7 out of 10 you're screwed!! The Management will average out your surveys for the month and a few "Less then 10's" can have a big effect on your bonus money for the month.
It's a house of cards folks!

Pretty much need to have the kind of rapport with your customer to make sure they give you all tens...sometimes weeks after the sale. Not exactly easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

19 months ago

Hyundai Sales in Saint Charles, Missouri said: Yes, you can lose your spiff/bonus based on a bad CSI score. For example and this happened alot at the Hyundai Dealership I worked at; if your F and I manager pisses off your customer or is rated less then a 10, you get hit with his shortcomings. I've missed spiff money by a point or two because the customer was asked whether or not the dealership was easy to locate, if they say 7 out of 10 you're screwed!! The Management will average out your surveys for the month and a few "Less then 10's" can have a big effect on your bonus money for the month.
It's a house of cards folks!

Pretty much need to have the kind of rapport with your customer to make sure they give you all tens...sometimes weeks after the sale. Not exactly easy.

How long you been selling.

I went mon to a volkswagon dealer. Nice nice Sales manager but from what he was saying you work 6 days one week then the next week 7 then back to 6 then 7 again. First yr he said around 35k. I don't think there's any money there at that place. Alot of young guys in Sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jimmy in Wilmington, North Carolina

12 months ago

Thanks,

I just started 1 month ago at a small country chevy dealer. I sold 2 cars yesterday , both used vehicles and made 1432 total commission on the both cars. Usually on new ones we make a mini deal and that pays us 200.00 plus we can get an additional 50.00 straight from GM once we become GM certified thru the online courses. Also we get paid a draw weekly of 362.50 and it zeros itself out every single month because of by law they cant carry over the draw because the employer must pay you minimum wage by the hour for every single hour you work. I have been in the car business once before in 1987 and even way back then i may sell 8 cars a month and always made around 1800 to 2700 per month almost 20 years ago. What dealer does he work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

paulie b in Long Beach, New York

9 months ago

many stores will steal money from sales reps.Ultimately you will get flats and factory dealer rebates will be kept in house and used car ros are fattened with make believe charges that have really been done to another vehicle

Yeahyeahyeah in Fayetteville, Arkansas

9 months ago

This forum makes me laugh. The car business is a pretty good business. Better if:

#1: you can actually sell something, not give it away
#2: Know your product and actually give a crap about your customers
#3: Stay with the same company long enough to build referral and repeat customer
#4: Dont mind devoting your life to it

I am 24 years old, female, funky, mom of 2, wife and college student and I make an easy $80,000 a year selling cars...and I don't even try. If I was half as motivated as I say I am I would be pushing $120,000. Best part? I am only starting year 3 right now. So, with that being said, if I stayed here for another 5? Holy cow, the money would be right. Anyone that sits around and rants about the pay in the car business needs to look in the mirror. ITS YOUR FAULT. Get better, hold more gross, switch to used when you can, ALWAYS follow up, and SELL SELL SELL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

yeahyeahyeah in Fayetteville, Arkansas

9 months ago

Ok listen, first of all, there is no way that you sold 12 cars at FULL MSRP only working in the business for 2 months. That is BS. Secondly, you may have some at sticker. Great for you. The ones you sold at sticker probably had no markup. GURU units dont have markup, and some new cars only have $500 or so between MSRP and invoice.

Has any of your customers said the words "I cant afford that payment, but if you get me to $440 Ill do it" or something along those lines? Did you tell your boss? Did they get to $440?? THAT IS YOUR GROSS GOING AWAY.

Fight For Your Rights in The Happiest Place on Earth, California

9 months ago

Hi just curious if you found another job or not or if you called them on the pay since one of commenters here did state that your boss is ripping you off and not being truthful and honest with your pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in the Battle in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

8 months ago

Hi Friends,

So truthfully, how are New Car Sales vs. Used Car Sales?

I hear that Used cars sales pay more than New...but then, how difficult is it to Find a Decent Used Car Dealership to work for?

Some say they do very well with Car Sales....other not. What's the key to making it vs. not making it?

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RodeoCLOWN in Houston, Texas

7 months ago

honda salesman said: Get a copy of the recap on the deal so you can better understand gross profit and comission percentages. If he's really doing 40 cars a month he sshouldn't have a problem getting this. I've sold Honda's for 24 years averaging 39 cars for the past 10 years. 40 cars pays about 15-20K. Good luck.

I made $13,000 on 21 total units! (25% Front 5% Back+5% @ 12 Units)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.