Need some help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

I want to land a position as an assistant manager but i was thinking of getting a 2 year degree to start up. what degree will help ? maybe I can even be an HR assistant. Then later on pursue a bachelour degree once I have enough for that.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

55 months ago

Listen, there are assistant manager jobs out there that require a HS diploma, basic negotiation skills, and average intelligence.

Save your money, stay with the company a few years, and you'll rise up the ranks and get into HR.

I've seen retail places looking for assistant managers with out a degree or much/any experience. Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

does it depend on the company though? because i been in retail for 8 years and no advancement yet and most require managment experience or a degree :\

Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

55 months ago

Livia in Dallas, Texas said: does it depend on the company though? because i been in retail for 8 years and no advancement yet and most require managment experience or a degree :\

Yes, you are correct in your assumption. A place such as Family Dollar would grab you in a New York minute since you have been in the field for 8 years. The pay would be low but stick it out for a year, always say "yes" to OT or whatever else that would show going above and beyond, and in a year you'll be golden to other places with better pay, benefits, and work environment.

This would be one way to get your foot in the management door.

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Hurst, Texas

55 months ago

I may not get lucky landing a position I have been applying and asking if i can do an assistant manager training. It makes me want to get a degree to get into it. but afraid of the debt don't know how much assistant managers make :\

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

bump please help i'm really stressing over this. I want to get educated but i can't afford it and cant' afford to be in debt :(

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

please help anybody? what can i do? I like to go back to college but i can only get a 2 year degree as i don't want to be in debt if i can't move foward its hard to move up the ladder these days

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

55 months ago

My advice is, that if you are finding "any degree" as an absolute requirement to move into management, that you might want to look at an Associate's in Accounting (or similar) at a community college. These schools are usually affordable and offer a good value as compared to a for-profit college. With an AA in Accounting/Business, you might also be able to luck your way into a bookkeeping sort of position that may be better than retail.

That said, I'm surprised that you're finding it difficult to move into retail management. When we were in undergrad, my girlfriend and I were told that we could transition to management if we wanted to, and this was before either of us had earned a degree. She worked at a clothing store and I worked in food service. (We both declined due to not being available the extra hours management would have required.)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts said: My advice is, that if you are finding "any degree" as an absolute requirement to move into management, that you might want to look at an Associate's in Accounting (or similar) at a community college. These schools are usually affordable and offer a good value as compared to a for-profit college. With an AA in Accounting/Business, you might also be able to luck your way into a bookkeeping sort of position that may be better than retail.

That said, I'm surprised that you're finding it difficult to move into retail management. When we were in undergrad, my girlfriend and I were told that we could transition to management if we wanted to, and this was before either of us had earned a degree. She worked at a clothing store and I worked in food service. (We both declined due to not being available the extra hours management would have required.)

how long did it took for you guys to move up? did it depend where you are at? I tought of applying else where but most require some college or 1-2 years in experience in management but how am i suppose to get experience if nobody gives me a chance and most require high school diploma+experience. I thought of doing acconting but don't know if i can get a accounting jobs near here.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

55 months ago

My former employer had guys who literally worked their way up from the lowest positions in the company to become managers. A couple of VP's, in fact. And these were high 5-figure, maybe 6-figure positions. The VP's obviously a bit more. However, it took them years to get there, unless, they either had the right last name, or, slept with the right daughter.

A couple were really good, almost brilliant in their way, others, not so much.

A 2-year degree, in my opinion, and frankly even the 4-year and/or advanced degrees, won't add very much to your knowledge of a business. Nor is understanding a business the deep rocket science that employers seem to want these days.

Anyways, it won't hurt you, and if you can do it on the side, go for it. I wouldn't do it with any expectation that it will majorly change your lot in life, but, who knows, maybe it does.

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

even if its a retail store?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

55 months ago

Livia in Dallas, Texas said: even if its a retail store?

Not sure who this is directed at.

My old business was a combination of retail and wholesale. The product was semi-complex but not terribly so. They were desperate for decent managerial talent while I was there but had no clue how to develop it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Livia in Dallas, Texas said: how long did it took for you guys to move up? did it depend where you are at?

It took us two or three years. Her offer was formal, if I remember correctly; mine was casual and was the result of my asking about how flexible the time requirements were for the lowest level management position. I had already moved from being a regular associate to a trainer. I think this happened at about the same time for both of us, but that was a couple of years ago, so I'm not remembering exactly.

I think that Californian is right though. The chances of a 2-year degree in business making a huge difference in your life aren't very good. I would only really go that route if it were free/cheap (It might be at a community college, especially if you are 24 or older.) and I could take classes at times that don't interfere with work.

Reply - Report abuse

Livia in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

I wish knew what to do though this is stressing me and really need a career that i love but i seem to cant find a way to get into it and living paycheck by paycheck is hard.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.