Never heard back confirming phone interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

cgirl13

37 months ago

Tuesday I got an email from a firm asking for a phone interview the end of this week. He gave me times this morning, this afternoon and all afternoon tomorrow. I'm on vacation which makes matters even worse, but I'm desperate so I was determined to make it work. I emailed him back within the hour letting him know that the time slot this morning worked best for me (Friday I am driving 10 hours home, so I won't be available). Yesterday morning my group changed todays schedule around, and I realized that this afternoon would work as well. So, to be accommodating I emailed him again, now opening up 2 of the 3 time slots he had offered. To top it all off my phone got dropped in a lake last night and is unusable, so now I have to use a friends phone for the interview, so I had to email him again to change my contact number this morning. The worst part? I still haven't heard a thing from this guy. No confirmation of time, no acknowledgement of my reply. I understand my emailing was a little excessive but it was all necessary communication. I'm confused as to what to do, though, with no confirmed time and the earliest slot he gave me in half an hour. Do I assume he isn't going to call without a confirmed time? I'm on vacation and without a phone so I'd like to be able to enjoy the beach and not have to hog my roommates phone all day. What is the proper etiquette here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke & Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

37 months ago

I hate to say it, but the situation you describe is typical in today's marketplace,i.e., the employer has no etiquette. I would move on to another opportunity. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in West Chester, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

I would have to agree with Completely Broke. With the excess of available potential workers, employers (I strongly suspect) will take the easiest route.

Move on and chalk this experience the "new normal".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

John in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: I would have to agree with Completely Broke. With the excess of available potential workers, employers (I strongly suspect) will take the easiest route.

Move on and chalk this experience the "new normal".

I agree. This isn't going to happen. Enjoy your vacation, buy a new phone and try again at a later time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

novaeeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia

37 months ago

cgirl13 said: Tuesday I got an email from a firm asking for a phone interview the end of this week. He gave me times this morning, this afternoon and all afternoon tomorrow. I'm on vacation which makes matters even worse, but I'm desperate so I was determined to make it work. I emailed him back within the hour letting him know that the time slot this morning worked best for me (Friday I am driving 10 hours home, so I won't be available). Yesterday morning my group changed todays schedule around, and I realized that this afternoon would work as well. So, to be accommodating I emailed him again, now opening up 2 of the 3 time slots he had offered. To top it all off my phone got dropped in a lake last night and is unusable, so now I have to use a friends phone for the interview, so I had to email him again to change my contact number this morning. The worst part? I still haven't heard a thing from this guy. No confirmation of time, no acknowledgement of my reply. I understand my emailing was a little excessive but it was all necessary communication. I'm confused as to what to do, though, with no confirmed time and the earliest slot he gave me in half an hour. Do I assume he isn't going to call without a confirmed time? I'm on vacation and without a phone so I'd like to be able to enjoy the beach and not have to hog my roommates phone all day. What is the proper etiquette here?

If you haven't heard from them by now, you will never, ever, ever, ever hear from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cgirl13

37 months ago

That's what I figured, it just seems so bizarre to contact someone for an interview and then not follow through. Why even bother in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

cgirl13 said: That's what I figured, it just seems so bizarre to contact someone for an interview and then not follow through. Why even bother in the first place?

did they ever get back to you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Quick question:

On average, how many recruiters respond to emails regarding specific jobs? Based on your own personal experiences.
It seems like I am batting like .120 in terms of recruiter response. 80 percent of them don't even send me a courtesy email notifying me that they don't have anything available. Is this me, or the recruiter? Am I doing something wrong? I send polite emails (I don't kiss their ass or nothing, but I am cordial and professional) and they never even get back to me.

MonteCarloCarFan in Hallandale, Florida

26 months ago

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: Quick question:

On average, how many recruiters respond to emails regarding specific jobs? Based on your own personal experiences.
It seems like I am batting like .120 in terms of recruiter response. 80 percent of them don't even send me a courtesy email notifying me that they don't have anything available. Is this me, or the recruiter? Am I doing something wrong? I send polite emails (I don't kiss their ass or nothing, but I am cordial and professional) and they never even get back to me.

I went to an interview with a recruiter because i applied for a creative position for real estate company. The recruiter saw my portfolio and she mentioned this what they were looking for. Ok no problem. So she rushes me to schedule an interview with her so I can waste time and fill out the forms. After everything is said and done, I follow-up with her a week or two later. No reply. Again after a week or two, no reply. So finally I see the same listing on our state employment site of the same company. So I email the female again "I looked on Employflorida.com and noticed a Graphic Design position for a real estate company? I emailed you a couple of times in regards to the position. Is it still active? Is it for the same company?" and she answers "I apologize for not responding sooner . Unfortunately , We haven't has any positive feedback for this position so I don't know where it stands. The client changes their needs and wants on a weekly basis . If I hear of any company hiring for a talented graphic designer such as yourself I will contact you right away ."

Yeah...mind you I never replied. I think it's the recruiter. Don't know what it is. But when I send me an email I make it short and sweet. Hard to say what goes on behind the scenes.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.