No idea what to do, I feel helpless

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

I'm terrible with people, have never worked, and have no idea how to get hired anywhere. I don't want to work for a min wage at a box store. I'm in my 30's. Until now, my. Family. Took care of my living expenses. My dad died, l eft some money, and I've been spending it. What next? I sometimes wonder why I was even born.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

Seasurfer you are a worthy person. I believe that each human being was placed on this earth for a purpose. We must live our lives helping and comforting each other. Let everyone you come in contact with know that you need a job.

Have you made a budget for what monies you have left? Do you have stuff that you can sell?

Look up the food banks in you area.

Find out if the utility companies have assistance programs.

Look up the requirements for social services in your area.

Are there any churches in your area that offer free counseling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky

14 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: Seasurfer you are a worthy person. I believe that each human being was placed on this earth for a purpose. We must live our lives helping and comforting each other. Let everyone you come in contact with know that you need a job.

Have you made a budget for what monies you have left? Do you have stuff that you can sell?

Look up the food banks in you area.

Find out if the utility companies have assistance programs.

Look up the requirements for social services in your area.

Are there any churches in your area that offer free counseling?

I like you Missy. I think you have a good heart. And ANY advice ANY of US can give to one another, it's worth a try!! Nobody but us knows what this feels like. Or had great jobs, decent salaries, didn't live above our means, etc., and yet now have to worry about having our electricity turned off, or worse yet, lose the home we have worked and paid for 20 years?!! Every state is different so we all have some emergency advice we could give, according to our individual state. The main thing I love about "our" forum is that we know we are NOT bums looking for handouts. Just want a job. ~Namaste~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

Seasurfer,

How much money did you inherent ?

Maybe learn a trade or get your CDL license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Seasurfer,

How much money did you inherent ?

Maybe learn a trade or get your CDL license.

No offense but you seem to ask rude questions. why do you ask really personal questions???? This is the second time you ake this person about how much money they have. Do you have money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

14 months ago

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California said: I'm terrible with people, have never worked, and have no idea how to get hired anywhere. I don't want to work for a min wage at a box store. I'm in my 30's. Until now, my. Family. Took care of my living expenses. My dad died, l eft some money, and I've been spending it. What next? I sometimes wonder why I was even born.

Don't lose hope. I know you don't want to live off charities or sell all of your things. You want some sense of normalcy.

I have had to work several part time jobs to get by. Anything I could get, and it was a start. I have to put up with the saturated job market in my field, and so I work more than one job to have some kind of "security".

Wishing you hope and strength.

14 months ago

Just don't see how an adult could piss away so much opportunities / money and not accomplished anything by his age.

Maybe all that money was a major downfall in his life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: No offense but you seem to ask rude questions. why do you ask really personal questions???? This is the second time you ake this person about how much money they have. Do you have money?

I make $19.26 an hour and have about $150,000 in my TDameritrade account (stocks).

My retirement account is up 15.6% so far this year. I watch every dollar ...
Not burn it foolishly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: I make $19.26 an hour and have about $150,000 in my TDameritrade account (stocks).

Not burn it foolishly.

Yup. You are blessed. I too have always been wise with my money. Still, it didn't stop things like COBRA eating up my savings (I was on it for over a year to keep my family insured while I waited for a job to give me medical insurance).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: I make $19.26 an hour and have about $150,000 in my TDameritrade account (stocks).

Not burn it foolishly.

Hang on to it as long as you can. I had to cash out my IRA last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Time to circle time wagons because tuff times are ahead.

I was at a car repair shop on Friday and saw a customer's BMW X5 suv get repossessed from the bank. I don't feel sorry for the bozo.

Social Security wont be around in 25 years, that's why I'm saving NOW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Time to circle time wagons because tuff times are ahead.

I was at a car repair shop on Friday and saw a customer's BMW X5 suv get repossessed from the bank. I don't feel sorry for the bozo.

You have enough to save????? whats that like??? Try being out of work for over 22 months without anyone to help you out. You dont know why that guy lost his car. Maybe he worked for it and lost his job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: You have enough to save????? whats that like??? Try being out of work for over 22 months without anyone to help you out. You dont know why that guy lost his car. Maybe he worked for it and lost his job.

I admit, I was thinking much the same. I would never assume someone losing their car, albeit an expensive one, the direct result of careless living. I have seen more than one person have a great job today with money in the bank and then not have it tomorrow. I think it's easy to feel confident when you have 150K as a cushion.

14 months ago

Not burn it foolishly......

Just so you understand something Beth, I too always saved my money, never buying what I didn't need. I have a very small IRA that I may have to cash out if my unemployment runs out. I had a nice little savings too(around 15K...not 150K), but medical insurance for my family (COBRA) for over a year ate that all up when I got laid off before this last time, 5 years ago. I was proud that I always lived within my means. I never made your salary, nor did I have any help from my family, but I still managed to put something away.

Please remember that you are here on a board where people have been unemployed for months, if not years. It does sound a bit insensitive to tell people they ought to be saving for a retirement when they are just getting by! I have a feeling that you mean well and that you are genuinely kind. But sometimes you seem a bit clueless what unemployment is really like and I scratch my head and wonder at times what draws you to the boards. Are you afraid you could end up like one of us? Or are you curious of what working class people without jobs look like?

I hope I don't sound harsh. I just notice you are one of the "regulars" here and it just makes me wonder why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Just so you understand something Beth, I too always saved my money, never buying what I didn't need. I have a very small IRA that I may have to cash out if my unemployment runs out. I had a nice little savings too(around 15K...not 150K), but medical insurance for my family (COBRA) for over a year ate that all up when I got laid off before this last time, 5 years ago. I was proud that I always lived within my means. I never made your salary, nor did I have any help from my family, but I still managed to put something away.

Please remember that you are here on a board where people have been unemployed for months, if not years. It does sound a bit insensitive to tell people they ought to be saving for a retirement when they are just getting by! I have a feeling that you mean well and that you are genuinely kind. But sometimes you seem a bit clueless what unemployment is really like and I scratch my head and wonder at times what draws you to the boards. Are you afraid you could end up like one of us? Or are you curious of what working class people without jobs look like?

I hope I don't sound harsh. I just notice you are one of the "regulars" here and it just makes me wonder why.

I like Beth. But I wonder toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Just so you understand something Beth, I too always saved my money, never buying what I didn't need. I have a very small IRA that I may have to cash out if my unemployment runs out. I had a nice little savings too(around 15K...not 150K), but medical insurance for my family (COBRA) for over a year ate that all up when I got laid off before this last time, 5 years ago. I was proud that I always lived within my means. I never made your salary, nor did I have any help from my family, but I still managed to put something away.

By the way, you actually have great writing skills. You articulate your thoughts on paper very well.

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I like Beth. But I wonder toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Admit it Joe. You are just hoping she's single and available....LOL!

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: By the way, you actually have great writing skills. You articulate your thoughts on paper very well.

Thank-you Joe. You as well. I think we both could safely say that we fit the bill with "must have excellent verbal and written communication skills". I swear I come here just to keep that skill somewhat sharpened, along with just getting my frustration out before I get to a point of giving up.

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Admit it Joe. You are just hoping she's single and available....LOL!

I feel bad for Joe. He has been reduced to picking up chicks in the unemployment line.

But like Joe says, the good thing about dating a homeless woman is that when the date is over, you can just drop her off anywhere.

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I feel bad for Joe. He has been reduced to picking up chicks in the unemployment line.

But like Joe says, the good thing about dating a homeless woman is that when the date is over, you can just drop her off anywhere.

Hahahaha...you kill me Blue. Not for nothing, I do get a chuckle at the humor that I see here. I really do enjoy it :)

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Hahahaha...you kill me Blue. Not for nothing, I do get a chuckle at the humor that I see here. I really do enjoy it :)

Good. Most unemployed people are very grouchy.

Joe's a good man. We tease each other - one loser to another.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

14 months ago

Carroll in Austin, Texas said: Grow up. Having never worked, you will be fortunate to get a minimum wage job. Quit pissing off the money you inherited and use it to go and learn a trade. Your only other option is to find a wealthy significant other who is willing to put up with your lazy ass. Your family did you no favors insisting you never get a job. So stop whining and get out there! Get to work!!

Getting a taste of what its like to be having no job and no mommy and daddy to support them.