Not a Good Fit

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

No Job 2009 in Burlington, Vermont

60 months ago

I recently took a job in a small office of only 5 employees. I usually worked in larger offices so taking this job was an experience. In the interview they knew that I did not have Quickbooks experience and knew that I would have to be trained. Both the owner and the office manager were ok with that. When I started the job, day one the office manager took a vacation day, and the owner gave me "busy work" like filing and shredding that needed to be caught up on due to the previous person being gone for 3 weeks. The second day, I did a monthly mailing, organizing and pulling files, learned how to change info on their files and accounting for my time. I took notes when they showed me things on the computer programs, so when I needed to do them again I could refer to my notes. They just seems like they wanted to show me go here, here and here, and seemed impatient that I was taking notes which slowed them down. Well I don't want to ask the same questions next time, I want to refer to my notes and do it myself, I don't have a photographic memory. There were passwords to know as well and each was different. When you start a new job there is alot to absorb, and if you miss a step, you waste time trying to figure it out if you don't know. Well after day 3, they told me that I was not a good fit for the job and would rather end it now than drag it out. I was stunned! How am I suppose to know where everything is without asking for assitance?? When I asked for a binder, they told me in the supply room, well, I didn't see any, and when the office manager helped me look she didn't find it either. They wanted someone who was more of a self starter. I feel that 3 days was not long enough to know the job, when they knew that I didn't have the experience in the software programs that they used. I also noticed on the phone directories and phone ext in the office there are 3 or 4 other names on the list of people who no longer work there. It seems like some people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

khammo01 in Funabashi, Japan

60 months ago

I'm sorry that you are having an uncomfortable experience.
I think it is not reasonable to not expect you to take notes when starting a new job. However, perhaps there is something about the volume of notes that you're taking or the amount of time you're taking to take the notes which may have caused them some frustration. There may have also been some nonverbal cue that you don't have the right experience in the right areas, in their opinion.

I suppose that your note-taking must have been to a level of detail that made them concerned whether you would be able to complete the work without requiring more direction/management than they are willing or able to provide.
Using a voice recorder might have been a better option for taking the essential notes without taking up too much time - then you could go back and transcribe the key parts.

If you really want to give it a go, you could candidly tell them that you don't think 3 days is not enough time to give you a fair shake, but you should prepare to work much more independently if they decide to give you a little more time.

Best of luck,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Employers must be better in Japan than they are in the United States. Myself, I think the problem is the three or four employees who are no longer there. It is obvious that is a high turnover - for whatever the reason - so no reason for you to expect to be any different.

Next job interview you get, ask them what their turnover rate is, and pay attention to their body language, not just their words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I have always taken notes when I am learning something for the first time. It is better than asking the same questions in the future because you didn't remember from the one time that they showed you. They would become even more fustrated if that happened. I feel 3 days is not enough, of course you will make mistakes that is part of the learning process, if you make the same mistakes over again that is not good. Perhaps there are other reasons besides these that caused them to end it. Being the holidays, maybe the upcoming holidays like New Years, Holiday parties, or maybe they had another candidate that would work for less than you started at and they would rather not pay you that higher salary. In this economy employers are watching every fraction of a penny to make them profitable even if it is at your expense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

When taking notes, I only wrote the steps that were explained to me on how to do a task on the computer software that they use. I had to write it fast and the handwriting was so sloppy, since it was only for my personal use that isn't important, but the fact that she talked like she was talking to someone who knows the job already at a fast pace. I have never experienced that kind of treatment at ANY previous job! I even trained others before and when they took notes, I went slower so they could write it down. It is not excessive just the basic steps. They must think I can absorb 100% on my own next time. They even were told in the interview that I did not know their programs and they were OK with that and told me that they were willing to train me. With only 5 people and 2 are less than 3 months there are red flags in that company, so I will just move on and ask questions before taking my next job so I do not ever run into this again. Training does making an employee stronger in the long run.

khammo01 in Tokyo, Japan

60 months ago

It sounds like your employer is in that case not being entirely reasonable. As mentioned by another poster, I guess you should probably take this as a blessing in disguise and look for a position at a more accommodating and collaborative workplace.

Tyna in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

Don't let this bad experience get you discouraged. I know how impatient and unkind people can be. You did your best and were wise to take notes as that is the only way to be able to do it on your own next time. Everyone has to learn something new at some point and we all take a different amount of time to master it. They should have given you a few weeks to settle in and then decide whether you were suitable for your position. I hope you find a better employer soon. Good Luck!

Cuban Goddess Chic in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

I think you were doing a great job!!! Don't beat yourself up. The company didn't deserve such a detailed oriented individual like yourself. They knew were inexperienced, they knew they needed to train you and show you the ropes, what they expect?

Move on. Don't cry over spilled milk! Did they say they wanted someone that was a self starter? Did they give you a list of tasks for you to do at the interview?
Somethings are common sense like filing, answering phones, cleaning the break room, and those things you can take initiative to learn on your own.

But it's a learning experience. Don't do the same thing the next time

Cheers!

experienced professional

60 months ago

That job was a learning experience if anything else. How some small companies operate. Things that I have never had to do in a larger office. On day one when I walked in the trash cans (including mine) were filled to the top. They did treat me to lunch on day one. We ate in the conference room, and at that table I asked if we had a cleaning service, as I didn't know if that was my job to deal with the full trash cans. The reply was that a lady does come to clean every other Wednesday. She was due in 2 days. Ok, then I didn't worry about the trash, as it will be taken care of like all other places I have worked. The next day, the office manager came in and noticed that yesterdays lunch was near the back door, she told me that it should be taken outside since it was food. Nobody said anything about that when I brought up cleaning the trash on day one. The worker who put the trash near the back door should of said something or taken it out. On my last day, I was asked to empty the trash in the kitchen area. The cleaning lady was due that night, but I did as told. As far as the self starter, that was not mentioned in the ad when I applied, but it is in the new ad as well as Office Manager/Administrator vs Office Administrator. Duties are identical, no mention that Quickbooks was a plus like it was for me, wanted a friendly upbeat person in the new ad, and mine did not say that, but she herself does not smile much and has a business only and no fun attitude, where the owner is smiles and laughs at times, which makes a more pleasent working environment. No job is 100% serious, everyone laughs a little, gets back to work. She told me that she did not have the patience to train me. Well once I know the ropes and settle in I can work more independantly. Each job is different and any new person has to learn the way that company wants things done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.