Path in IT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

JT999 in Denton, Texas

37 months ago

I have a few questions about my career in Technology. I currently hold an Associates in Computer Science (networking & software). Once i graduated, I got extremely lucky and landed a help desk position with a medium sized business. Everything was great when landing the job and finally getting my foot in the door. However, now I feel stuck. There are a couple of us that handle all the help desk duties such as answering phones, software installations, new workstation setups etc. We have a Network Administrator who refuses to teach us anything (I believe it's due to his own job security). I'm constantly get questions about things that are out of my scope and since I don't have any access to the Servers, i'm unable to get any type of experience. I'm feeling extremely limited in everything. The past couple days i've been thinking about a couple different scenarios that i'm considering in taking my career further. Should I go back to school and get a bachelors or stay where i'm at and go for certifications? I'd like to be a Network Admin handling everything relating to the servers and handling all the equipment that makes the networks run. I've worked with computers my whole life but only 2 of those in the workplace.

Go back to school and get my Bachelors? Or keep my Associates with 2 years experience and get multiple specialized certifications? Net+/CCNA etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

37 months ago

This is outside of my field, so I have no idea whether a Bachelor's degree or certificates count more. However, I was wondering if your question is a false dichotomy. Can you work on a Bachelor's degree AND continue working at your job? Right now, experience seems to count more than education. I personally wouldn't recommend that anyone quit a job to go to school unless the job is likely to not last much longer or unless they want to shift to a completely different field.

JT999 in Denton, Texas

37 months ago

Thanks for the response Jeff. I would have to take night classes and i'm unsure if they're even offered for the classes i'd have to take. I'm 28 and there's no possible way for me to quit my job and go to school full time at this point in my life. Personally, I know i'd learn a lot more if I targeted the certificates. If I went back to school, i'd have to take a lot of classes that have nothing to do with my major. I just know that a lot of companies around here require a bachelors to even get noticed.

If i put myself in future employers shoes, i'd target the certificate path due to the specialization and understanding that comes with it. But my opinion isn't going to win me a job :)

hugsss in Abilene, Texas

37 months ago

Hey guys, well I can't answer the original poster's question, but I did have one of my own, I'm a beginner, know next to nothing about computer repair, and have stumbled upon a job opportunity-where the employer will train me on the job and also help me get a Comp Tia cert, my understanding is that this can help me get my foot in the door with larger companies, is this true? and if so how long do I need to stay at the company mentioned above for the hands on training before moving on, thanks...oh also at this point in time, I have no idea where I want to land in IT, thanks again..

hugsss in Abilene, Texas

37 months ago

hugsss in Abilene, Texas said: Hey guys, well I can't answer the original poster's question, but I did have one of my own, I'm a beginner, know next to nothing about computer repair, and have stumbled upon a job opportunity-where the employer will train me on the job and also help me get a Comp Tia cert, my understanding is that this can help me get my foot in the door with larger companies, is this true? and if so how long do I need to stay at the company mentioned above for the hands on training before moving on, thanks...oh also at this point in time, I have no idea where I want to land in IT, thanks again..

oh and also I have a degree in IT Management but was never able to get any traction with it, this was in 2007

JT999 in Denton, Texas

36 months ago

Can anyone help me out please?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.