Poor, poor college grads

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 114)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Must vent. I'm several years removed from college, so I don't know if this behavior is unusual, or if kids today have a huge sense of entitlement and/or unrealistic expectations.

I had a friend of a friend contact me. Asked if I could help find his son an internship. Ugh. I have enough to do. But I did remember coming across a posting for an internship in the suburbs during my job hunt. I setup an interview for this guy and his dad called back, saying that it has to be in the city because he didnt want to drive to work. I shrugged it off and figured I tried to do a favor, and it didnt work out, so I moved on.

Until this morning. Dad gave entitled brat my number and he called me demanding that I help him. It's July, nobody is hiring summer interns anymore, but I told him of a few places he could try that were in his precious city so he wouldn't have to drive. He then started SCREAMING at me for wasting his time by recommending places that have unpaid internships. Yeah, sorry kid. That's how it works. I hung up on him. Serves me right for taking time out of my job search to help someone else.

I sure hope that this is not what kids are being taught today. It's harder than ever to find a job, especially when you are right out of school and your résumé consists of experience from your fraternity. If schools aren't preparing kids for this, shame on them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Must vent. I'm several years removed from college, so I don't know if this behavior is unusual, or if kids today have a huge sense of entitlement and/or unrealistic expectations.

I had a friend of a friend contact me. Asked if I could help find his son an internship. Ugh. I have enough to do. But I did remember coming across a posting for an internship in the suburbs during my job hunt. I setup an interview for this guy and his dad called back, saying that it has to be in the city because he didnt want to drive to work. I shrugged it off and figured I tried to do a favor, and it didnt work out, so I moved on.

Until this morning. Dad gave entitled brat my number and he called me demanding that I help him. It's July, nobody is hiring summer interns anymore, but I told him of a few places he could try that were in his precious city so he wouldn't have to drive. He then started SCREAMING at me for wasting his time by recommending places that have unpaid internships. Yeah, sorry kid. That's how it works. I hung up on him. Serves me right for taking time out of my job search to help someone else.

I sure hope that this is not what kids are being taught today. It's harder than ever to find a job, especially when you are right out of school and your résumé consists of experience from your fraternity. If schools aren't preparing kids for this, shame on them.

You'll laugh at this one. Once I was contacted by someone I had apparently interviewed for a position. I couldn't remember the exact circumstances but I was being berated for my lack of judgment over the phone. I was trying to appease the caller while looking through some recent applications.

I eventually found the candidate's application. The problem was the candidate was a male and I was talking to a female. You guessed it. It was his mother.

So can helicopter parenting go too far? LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama

44 months ago

It depends on the individual. I went to school with some kids from rich families, and they still feel entitled; but, for the most part, most people my age who never got their foot in the door aren't entitled or looking for a hand-out. I had to apply to jobs for two years before I landed a part-time retail job (I have a STEM degree); they hired me the same day, sight-unseen with no interview. That should have told me something, but I was just so happy to be working that I didn't think about it at the time. I figured out later that I was hired like that because they had a hard time keeping employees. I didn't find this out until later, but a friend of mine had also worked there a couple of years before. She was a bit of a slow book-learner, but everyone there told me she was the best worker they'd had in that department. The bosses and their family members (family-owned store) were abusive to the staff. They called my friend a retard (or retarded), cursed her out in the middle of the store in front of customers, mocked and imitated her slow speech, etc. She felt so bad when she found out I had to work there that she tried to help me find a new job.

After college, it's hard to get an internship in this field. It's hard to even volunteer because most labs have bare-bones minimum staff right now. I'm unemployed again, but the only way I'll get back into my field and get a half-decent job is to go back to school. It'll be a lot of debt, but the longer one is working outside their field, or just unable to find anything, the more impossible it is to ever get back into the field. All the jobs I had after college were part-time with no health benefits. They no longer hired full-time employees. Most "new" jobs here are restaurant/retail/hospitality jobs that are part-time with no benefits.

So, no....not everyone is sitting around looking for a handout. There are just not enough jobs, and professional jobs are virtually non-existent for newer grads.

Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

44 months ago

I am SO SICK TO DEATH of older folks crapping on my generation. Is it too much to ask that we be able to pay bills or make our way through like y'all had to good fortune of doing???? what is unreasonable about that? Please explain. Get off your high horse.. you were lucky to be pushed out the birth canal when you did.

There was no helecopter parenting with me. I was blamed and took responsibilty for everything, even when it wasn't my fault.

Anonymous in birmingham gave you a reserved and dignfied response. But I don't care anymore. I'm tired of being nice to those who are LESS THAN deserving of it.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

If that was directed at me, you clearly didn't read the post. Nothing criticized any generation. I was critical of one individual who demanded help and didnt accept any when offered. I certainly hope that isn't representative of your generation or you as an individual. If it is, I'd be less worried about what some anonymous person on a job board says and more worried about how I could get marketable experience - paid or unpaid.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Yea I took the troll bait. I don't care. I want EVERYONE over the age of 35 to read what I wrote. Y'all really piss me off with that crap. Y'all whine more than y'all claim we whine. It's hypocritical. Some of y'all haven't been humbled enough. AT. ALL. That's ridiculous when I can BARELY afford personal female items, let alone, gas or money for a bus card. This generational pissing fest NEEDS TO STOP.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

unpaid Internships DO NOT pay bills. We have to WORK. For money. We do not have savings on the side to do unpaid stuff. That stuff is for retirees.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Then find a paid one. Good luck with that. I will say this one more time since reading comprehension does not seem to be a strong suit of yours. I did not criticize you. I did not criticize your generation. I did not even criticize wanting a paid internship. I was critical of one immature kid who demanded assistance from someone he never met and didn't owe him anything, then was extremely abusive when I told him how I could help him.

I did an unpaid internship. I planned for it starting my junior year in college, saved as much money as I could for 3 semesters, and lived on a friends couch for 6 months while serving the internship. If you can't do that, sorry to hear that. But that's what it takes to get a job. Not just in this climate, but in all except the most prosperous of times.

How much does being unemployed pay? Might as well use that time that is unpaid to do something to better yourself.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Most internships in my field are not paid; some pay a stipend, but they won't generally accept anyone after they have graduated from college. Even volunteering has become virtually impossible with the lack of staff available. I ended up getting very ill in college and had to have two surgeries; summers for me were spent trying to catch up because I'd lost all the tuition money from those semesters I got ill. No refunds, so I had to finish up as quickly as possible and get out of school. It was draining my finances, and I paid myself (with my parent's help). The only good thing was that I had little debt when I was done.

A lot of these solutions SOUND good, but in today's economy, they do not work. Even if you're looking for any type of job, your degree hinders you. A friend of mine just went through several rounds of interviews with Walmart, only to be told that she's overqualified because she has a degree. They could've saved her the trouble and told her that up front (in interview #1), but they didn't. She was strung along only to be let down. I was told the same thing when applying for a fast food job. Things just don't work like they used to. They don't. Whether people want to admit it or not, it is how it is. Not every young person is an entitled brat looking for handouts and free money.

Nowadays a degree can be liability for non-professional jobs. "You're overqualified or you'll leave when you find something better, so why would we hire you and spend resources training you? I'd rather hire someone who's never been to college." And yes, a manager actually said this to me (in similar words). For jobs in your field, you may be too inexperienced for anyone to give you a chance. What are you supposed to do? You can't get a job in your field, outside your field, and your internship chances are over after college (depending on the field).

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Then find a paid one. Good luck with that. I will say this one more time since reading comprehension does not seem to be a strong suit of yours. I did not criticize you. I did not criticize your generation. I did not even criticize wanting a paid internship. I was critical of one immature kid who demanded assistance from someone he never met and didn't owe him anything, then was extremely abusive when I told him how I could help him.

I did an unpaid internship. I planned for it starting my junior year in college, saved as much money as I could for 3 semesters, and lived on a friends couch for 6 months while serving the internship. If you can't do that, sorry to hear that. But that's what it takes to get a job. Not just in this climate, but in all except the most prosperous of times.

How much does being unemployed pay? Might as well use that time that is unpaid to do something to better yourself.

Ok you fail to understand that it costs MONEY to buy a bus card OR pay for gas and insurance. Ride around without gas or insurance, and see what happens. At what point did people becomes so simplicistic and naive??? We need to live. I sure it was a great hobby and learning experience for your generation, but these are not your times or your parents times. I'm sitting up here driving around in an old beater that my daddy says is gonna give out next year, if not before. I don't have time to play around with working for free. They abolished slavery over 200 years ago.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Bottom line is, some people seem to forget that someone had to help them. As much a people want to say "get yourself out of it" or "pull yourself up," that's not how it works. Someone somewhere had to help you for you to make it. Someone had to hire you; someone had to give you a loan; even if you were born rich, that money was given to you by someone else. At least at some point, someone has to take a chance on you for you to get started. A lot of us cannot get started because either there are not enough jobs/internships to go around (which there are not), or because no one is going to take a chance on someone who's inexperienced and needs to be trained, when they have plenty of applicants who have many years of experience and require little training (for example).

I'm tired of older people telling us how we're spoiled. I wasn't spoiled...I was homeless as a kid at one point. My parents did help me so that I wouldn't start out debt-laden...in the end, due the economy, I'll be in debt anyway because I'm having to go to grad school to get a job. Most of us want our own. We want our own lives. We want to be living on our own, earning out own. Some of us want families of our own someday. Most people I know are willing to work, but we need a chance.

Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

44 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Ok you fail to understand that it costs MONEY to buy a bus card OR pay for gas and insurance. Ride around without gas or insurance, and see what happens. At what point did people becomes so simplicistic and naive??? We need to live. I sure it was a great hobby and learning experience for your generation, but these are not your times or your parents times. I'm sitting up here driving around in an old beater that my daddy says is gonna give out next year, if not before. I don't have time to play around with working for free. They abolished slavery over 200 years ago.

Slaves at least got room and board. They didn't have to pay for transportation costs. Seems like doing an unpaid internship is actually worse on the pocketbook.

Reply - Report abuse

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said:
It's hard to even volunteer because most labs have bare-bones minimum staff right now. I'm unemployed again, but the only way I'll get back into my field and get a half-decent job is to go back to school. It'll be a lot of debt, but the longer one is working outside their field, or just unable to find anything, the more impossible it is to ever get back into the field. ...Most "new" jobs here are restaurant/retail/hospitality jobs that are part-time with no benefits.

So, no....not everyone is sitting around looking for a handout. There are just not enough jobs, and professional jobs are virtually non-existent for new grads.

How does going back to school fix this problem? It's not like going back to school also gives someone access to capital or creates new customers that can afford the cost of their labor.

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

44 months ago

There's a place where I live that is constantly advertising internships, for people with advanced math/stat degrees.

I have a hard time believing they fill them, given how powerful a math degree is in these parts but it's not stopping them from asking.

I could see a low-paid internship for a part-time thing while you go to school but this idea of a zero-paid internship is just stealing today.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts said: How does going back to school fix this problem? It's not like going back to school also gives someone access to capital or creates new customers that can afford the cost of their labor.

I guess because he or she doesn't want to be seen as sitting around not doing anything. Because let's face it, that's how employers view those of us with gaps. For me, it's too much of a risk. I'd rather be debt free and homeless. Than homeless with an I.O.U. on my back. But only he or she knows their situation and their plan, we can't judge that.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I should clarify, "people working on advanced degrees".

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Slaves at least got room and board. They didn't have to pay for transportation costs. Seems like doing an unpaid internship is actually worse on the pocketbook.

Even still, I wouldn't want to trade places with them.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said: Bottom line is, some people seem to forget that someone had to help them. As much a people want to say "get yourself out of it" or "pull yourself up," that's not how it works. Someone somewhere had to help you for you to make it. Someone had to hire you; someone had to give you a loan; even if you were born rich, that money was given to you by someone else. At least at some point, someone has to take a chance on you for you to get started. A lot of us cannot get started because either there are not enough jobs/internships to go around (which there are not), or because no one is going to take a chance on someone who's inexperienced and needs to be trained, when they have plenty of applicants who have many years of experience and require little training (for example).

I'm tired of older people telling us how we're spoiled. I wasn't spoiled...I was homeless as a kid at one point. My parents did help me so that I wouldn't start out debt-laden...in the end, due the economy, I'll be in debt anyway because I'm having to go to grad school to get a job. Most of us want our own. We want our own lives. We want to be living on our own, earning out own. Some of us want families of our own someday. Most people I know are willing to work, but we need a chance.

THIS. 1 MILLION TIMES OVER.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I'm going into a different (but related) field because I need to get a career started; I don't plan on having decent money for a while, as I'll have to pay back loans. As I see it, the only options are to go to school for something with more promise of a job, but get into debt doing it; or, keep fighting 100s of applicants for part-time restaurant/retail jobs and have that be my life. I'm not looking for the latter to be my future. When the economy recovers (if it does), they're not hiring people with old, unused degrees first. I tried to avoid going back right now simply because of the debt, but I also need to attempt to have a career in my lifetime. I think some people go back to school to avoid life, but I'm going back to school to try to actually have a life independent of my parents.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: There's a place where I live that is constantly advertising internships, for people with advanced math/stat degrees.

I have a hard time believing they fill them, given how powerful a math degree is in these parts but it's not stopping them from asking.

I could see a low-paid internship for a part-time thing while you go to school but this idea of a zero-paid internship is just stealing today.

Anytime I was in school, and even in the grad program I'm about to enter, there are internships available. Once you graduate though...those are gone. You have to be enrolled to get them.

Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

44 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Must vent. I'm several years removed from college, so I don't know if this behavior is unusual, or if kids today have a huge sense of entitlement and/or unrealistic expectations.

Just don't forget that all this is due to Ayn Rand and her Randist-Marxist theory of "dog eat dog world".

Next time you get a good President like Bill Clinton try to think of his at-job performance more than who he has intercourse with.
Hopefully some day you may have more politicians like Bill Clinton returning to electoral horizon and who would then bring back jobs and revive America as we all remember it was (the best country in the whole world where sky was the limit if you were willing to work hard and try).

Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Even still, I wouldn't want to trade places with them.

I wouldn't either. Just pointing out that even though slavery was "abolished", it still exists. Volunteering, internships, jobs that pay less than a living wage as examples.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I wouldn't either. Just pointing out that even though slavery was "abolished", it still exists. Volunteering, internships, jobs that pay less than a living wage as examples.

Of yea of course, the haves, and those of us that give our half to the haves.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I wouldn't either. Just pointing out that even though slavery was "abolished", it still exists. Volunteering, internships, jobs that pay less than a living wage as examples.

That how I think of it. Businesses are just taking advantage. Just repeal The 13th Amendment and be done with it.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Repeal Randist-Marxism, restore true Capitalism - Smithism and Weberism - and all will start getting fixed by an invisible benign hand.

But you must repeal the "dog eat dog world" Ransist-Marxism first.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said: I'm going into a different (but related) field because I need to get a career started; I don't plan on having decent money for a while, as I'll have to pay back loans. As I see it, the only options are to go to school for something with more promise of a job, but get into debt doing it; or, keep fighting 100s of applicants for part-time restaurant/retail jobs and have that be my life. I'm not looking for the latter to be my future. When the economy recovers (if it does), they're not hiring people with old, unused degrees first. I tried to avoid going back right now simply because of the debt, but I also need to attempt to have a career in my lifetime. I think some people go back to school to avoid life, but I'm going back to school to try to actually have a life independent of my parents.
It did recover. The U.S. economy has been in recovery mode for two to three years, now. No company or organization is going on a hiring spree for workers with advanced degrees. They are looking for very specific skills. If going to grad school helps you gain very specific skills and experience (some employers will only hire people from certain schools--because those people will most likely have the "right" internships) that employers are looking for, then go for it. I just hope you're getting into something that employers are looking for in the current economy and not something you think will materialize when the economy "recovers" to where it was in 2006, because you will be in for a long wait, from what I hear.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I am. I switched from biology to clinical lab science (med tech). There are many more job opportunities, and I'll have mastered more lab techniques as well.

Reply - Report abuse

Waaaaaaaaah in Acworth, Georgia

44 months ago

Wow, Seriously?

I grew up in fostercare, once I hit 18 I was thrown out with nothing. I'm lucky to have started school and found little crap jobs here and there just to make ends meet. Sometimes I don't eat for days because I have to pay bills!

I had a few chances to do internships and I turned them down. Why?

Because they required 60 hours a week with ZERO pay. Seriously how the hell do I pay my bills if 60 hours out of the week will go to working for free? Most of the times these "Internships" don't even have you actually working with more experienced workers to learn from.

They have an opening and instead of hiring a work they throw the name Intern on it and get free labor. The little added stress of a newbie is well worth saving the company 50-60k+ each year.

We aren't "Spoil", YOUR GENERATION ran the country into the ground because YOUR GENERATION was nothing more than a bunch of Wussie Hippies that turned the country into a lazy over censored tree huggers paradise. Your generation is in the classrooms teaching making America's test scores drop. America doesn't rank #1 in any category when it comes to education. Hell not even Number 10#. For Christ sake America doesn't even Rank in the top 5 when it comes to "freedom".

Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

44 months ago

College is a joke. Unless you're going for a science or math related career, don't bother. You'll make more contacts and get more experience just doing straight up volunteering, than you ever will at school.

I was drunk through most of my college career. Dean's List every semester. Overall GPA of 3.8. 3/4 of my classes were useless. The most useful and important part of my college education, was my internship. Which frankly came too little, too late.

College should be one internship after another. You want to be in film? You should be doing NOTHING but acting/working on sets. Teaching? You should be teaching. Etc etc. NOT sitting in a classroom, paying way too much for "electives" that don't do ANYthing for you but justify some professor's salary.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

BTW I'm 33 so I'm not sure what generation I fit into. But I definitely see current college grads coming out thinking the world owes them something, or they paid X amount for college so now they get rewarded with a good job. That's not how it works, now. You could go to the best school in the nation...if it was for psychology, communications, or "general studies," et al.....congratulations...you or your parents just wasted a boatload of money.

Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

44 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: NOT sitting in a classroom, paying way too much for "electives" that don't do ANYthing for you but justify some professor's salary.

Liberal Arts majors needing to take science electives currently justifies my salary. :P

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said: Anytime I was in school, and even in the grad program I'm about to enter, there are internships available. Once you graduate though...those are gone. You have to be enrolled to get them.

I'm pretty sure these are only internships in name only.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts said: It did recover. The U.S. economy has been in recovery mode for two to three years, now.

What is the measure of recovery?

Go to this link data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS1 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 [remove spaces between numbers after copying the link] . Select data for years starting in 1948 and through 2013.

See for yourself what a steep decline we are in since 2000, the worst part beginning in January of 2009. We are currently at around 1978 LP rate.

This is official. And you can't write it off on demographics, I have seen adjusted chart for 25-54 y/o , it mimics this same chart, only percentages are higher (76% currently and above 80% in good times ).

A huge number of population is out of labor force and will not be hired until jobs are created, and jobs are NOT being created (US created around 170-190 thousands of jobs in May, with 300 Million population. For comparison: Canada created 75000 jobs in the same period but with population 10 times (!) lesser than in US. That is what recovered economy would like like).

When you hear 'recovery', what it usually means is that companies, after laying off everyone, outsourcing the labor and getting huge 'recovery' donations in 2009 are now able to show the numbers that earn their stocks profit.
And none of it helps average Joe get a job. The jobs are simply aren't there. And labor participation rate shows it clearly.

Reply - Report abuse

Wow... in Brooklyn, New York

44 months ago

I don't think I'm entitled to anything. I'm willing to work my way from the bottom to the top. I didn't expect to be in some posh office making $100,000 a year because I knew I'd have to start from the bottom like anyone else.

The problem is that you're not even given the opportunity to start from the bottom.

Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

The problem is that you're not even given the opportunity to start from the bottom.

I agree. And I am 55 and now in forced semi-retirement. Any young person who spent thousands for an education, expecting job opportunities, has the right to be pizzed off. The purpose of all that time and effort and money on education was to get a better future.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: BTW I'm 33 so I'm not sure what generation I fit into. But I definitely see current college grads coming out thinking the world owes them something, or they paid X amount for college so now they get rewarded with a good job. That's not how it works, now. You could go to the best school in the nation...if it was for psychology, communications, or "general studies," et al.....congratulations...you or your parents just wasted a boatload of money.

That's why people are stupefying. As a society we consist of human beings, not robots.

Look at all our founders: all they studied back then were Humanities (philosophy, history, letters) and they were product of the age of Enlightenment.

Today no such things are valued, instead thoughtless robots are needed.

I think there is good use to math if you want to become Feynman or Bohr, if you have great talent and ability to broaden frontiers of hard science, but there are only handful of people that are endowed by nature for such tasks, and those are spirited people like you never will know.

Many of the "math" related jobs you see around could be filled by any docile idiot or mere robot. And there is no ounce of Human intelligence that has to be utilized in many of those jobs. What is the good of your math skills if your pocket calculator, excell software or more sophisticated ,algorithm based program can do it accurately and infinitely faster than you ever can? Just what good your "math" does?

Not that my rambling will change anything, but there are some obvious glaring fallacies out there.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I had walked away content to let this thread die, but I'm going to try this one more time.

1. It sucks getting jobs with no experience
2. If you didn't do an internship in college, you are at a disadvantage
3. Most internships are unpaid. You should PLAN for this... Work part time jobs in anticipation. Find a family or friend to stay with for free.
4. It isn't *MY* fault that you cannot afford to take an unpaid internship. Save your griping for your college advisors who gave you horrible advice and did not prepare you for steps 1-3
5. When I do lend a hand to someone out of kindness, and that person complains that my charity isn't good enough, that's pretty much a textbook example of entitlement.
6. None of you have any idea what my age is, so stop blaming things on "My Generation". Things suck for us all, that's why we are on this board asking for advice.
7. Comparing an unpaid internship to slave labor is crazy. Nobody is forcing you to do it and you can leave anytime. It's an investment into your future.

Now I'm done. Gripe and whine all you want. My original question was answered - I tried to help out a kid I didn't even know and he had unrealistic expectations. I thought he was a unique case. Apparently not.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I had walked away content to let this thread die, but I'm going to try this one more time.

With all due respect, but you are not entitled to throw judgements and decide who should feel what. You just are not entitled to that. Don't take this personal, it's just a statement of the fact.

I personally didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars ,nor did I borrow the same, to get a college education.I studied abroad for free.
But if I did it's sure as day that I would be pizzeed to find out that all I did was throw lots of money out the window to a school which didn't give anything of value back to me.
This is called a "reasonable expectation", and labeling someone in such case "he/she just feels entitled too much" is a misnomer, to say the least.
Next time you want to help someone try to do so without condescension and spite.
This is just a kind advise to you (trying to help you with more effective communication, so to say).

Another FACT all the high-flying in dream-clouds well-wishers should pay attention to is the DOL statistics that shows incredibly steep decline in labor participation rates (and the fall continues!) since 2.0.0.8.

It just doesn't matter who does what, there is a huge portion of the active working age population (ages 2.5-5.4) that has been thrown out of labor participation because there are no jobs to employ the, get this - there are not enough jobs out there and there is a great number of people who are currently unemployed and who would be employed if job market was at 1.9.9.6-2.0.0.0 levels.
No amount of individual internship, volunteering, 'networking', a** kissing won't change that macro-economic picture. The only way to fix this is to create more jobs: which requires restoration of Capitalism as we knew it as at it worked until year 2K.

Good luck to you too!

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

i had to put dots between numbers, i think software was blocking those thinking it's a phone number. so 2.0.0.8 is two thousands and eight, 2.5-5.4 is twenty five - fifty four and etc.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Perhaps you should just stop dealing with entitled kids then; no one forces you to be their friend or post here, unless they are blackmailing you or creating a duress situation. It seems like you want to paint all of us with a broad brush because of one spoiled young person in *your* life.

Once you are OUT of school, internship opps dry up in some fields (I can't speak for all fields); if you know someone, you may be able to get one, but they are generally given to enrolled students. You don't know everyone's story; I think you're better off just keeping your judgment to yourself, because it's judgment based on one person you know who seems to irritate you-- I suppose he's a younger person, now all young people much be entitled like your friend is...because your friend represents us all. I worked hard in college; I graduated with no debt. I did get research experience, but it was cut short by severe health problems and surgeries. After college, chances to get more experience were completely over, unless I returned to being a student of some kind.

There have always been some entitled kids-- always. There will always be some. Do you really think that all of us, at the *exact* same time, decided to become spoiled, spontaneously? Sounds unlikely. The likely answer is that the economy tanked or some other event occurred that knocked most of us off track (or left us unable to get on a track to begin with).

Unless you know all of us personally, your opinions of us are uninformed guesses, at best.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I can say that I was never able to get on a track to begin with. My one window of opportunity, was an internship I had Summer of 2001, at one of the major radio stations in NYC. It went very well, and at the end of it, they were thinking about possibly giving me the promotions coordinator job. I politely declined, saying that I wanted to finish my college degree.

Then 9/11 happened. Lots and lots of turnover, all over NYC communications. People quitting, laid off, move to another station, moving to another country to become a monk, whatever. It's never fully recovered. Jobs in radio and TV are non-existent now, and what does come up, goes to someone who knows someone. There is no applying to an entry level job, in radio/TV/film. That's what makes those college majors such a disgrace, to me. I pay $50,000 for a nice car, I get a nice car. I pay $300,000 for a house, I get a house. I put $160,000 into Columbia for their film school, I get to wait tables for the rest of my life.

I don't necessarily feel entitled to a darn thing, but you would think that a M.A degree holder with 16 years of work experience wouldn't be rejected 1000+ times, up in Boston. Including by places like Home Depot and (yes) Target.

What I have now, I fought for. It's very little and not enough, but after a year of a 40 minute commute where a month's worth of gas is a week's pay (uncompensated), no one can say this was given to me.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

The whole concept of higher education for the masses is based on unrealistic expectations. There are fewer people than anyone would like to admit, who actually want accept interns and properly mentor them so, that will always leave some graduates with no way of seeking employment in their chosen fields because they will be unable to get the right kind of intern experience.

All signs point to the fact that the market for college grad in almost all majors is not as large as we'd like to believe.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts said: The whole concept of higher education for the masses is based on unrealistic expectations. There are fewer people than anyone would like to admit, who actually want accept interns and properly mentor them so, that will always leave some graduates with no way of seeking employment in their chosen fields because they will be unable to get the right kind of intern experience.

All signs point to the fact that the market for college grad in almost all majors is not as large as we'd like to believe.

Too bad we can't get a tuition refund. They did render services...they were just ultimately useless services. I wrote a 30 page paper on the history of Kazakhstan...let me tell you something about it, oh wait I forgot all of it. =P

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: Too bad we can't get a tuition refund. They did render services...they were just ultimately useless services. I wrote a 30 page paper on the history of Kazakhstan...let me tell you something about it, oh wait I forgot all of it. =P

To me, there was almost a social contract for those of us who went to school. Our parents promised us a "better life", Schools promised us a "better life" as a result of going to school and getting a degree. Getting a degree went to show we could learn. Schools promised many of us "jobs are plentiful" in whatever field.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: To me, there was almost a social contract for those of us who went to school. Our parents promised us a "better life", Schools promised us a "better life" as a result of going to school and getting a degree. Getting a degree went to show we could learn. Schools promised many of us "jobs are plentiful" in whatever field.

And they're mostly lying. And continuing to lie. And continuing to get away with it. Maybe a substantial percent drop in enrollment will teach these unis a lesson. BU or Penn State suddenly drops on incoming freshman by 30%. That'll wake em up.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

And charging over $100K for "an education" is criminal. Especially in fields where there is NO CHANCE of ever making the kind of money that can effectively pay that off. What on earth are you going to school for English Lit, for?

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: And they're mostly lying. And continuing to lie. And continuing to get away with it. Maybe a substantial percent drop in enrollment will teach these unis a lesson. BU or Penn State suddenly drops on incoming freshman by 30%. That'll wake em up.

They have absolutely been lying. I have been lied to by those in the "ivory towers". Tuition rated keep skyrocketing as well.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Behemoths will fail (as a result of their own doing), the Ransism-Marxism will be done away with , that true Capitalism will then be restored, a good President like Bill Clinton will be elected and you will see plenty of jobs, thriving citizenry, all the good stuff America has always been known for.
But it will take some time.
For now Randist-Marxist's "dog eat dog world" mantra rules.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: To me, there was almost a social contract for those of us who went to school. Our parents promised us a "better life", Schools promised us a "better life" as a result of going to school and getting a degree. Getting a degree went to show we could learn. Schools promised many of us "jobs are plentiful" in whatever field.

This happens with just enough frequency to keep the story going. The reality is that this is largely a myth.

I just finished reading about Sonia Sotomayor, daughter of a poor immigrant who with sheer determination and tenacity pulled herself out of the Bronx. and into the Supreme Court.

What they don't tell you is that she applied for every affirmative action program there was and everybody is still in the Bronx.

And as for the Abe Lincoln story. He never went to law school and if it wasn't for his well connected wife, Mary-Todd, you would have never heard of him. It was her connections that made him.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

typo: Ransism-Marxism = Randism-Marxism

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.