Posting a Resume on Linkedin - Does it result in an Interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

KB in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Someone told me the employers are ditching the resume and looking at Linkedin profiles to find people. As you know what we see on Careerbuilder & Monster is loaded with nothing but fake jobs mostly from Robert Half & OfficeTeam, so they can find candidates with the keywords on Linkedin. I have a profile and have never been contacted by any employer. Does it work? My opinion is that not much hiring is going on, unless you count the temp/project work that comes here and there, if at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

I think the whole social media thing has been oversold when it comes to the job search. How many people do you know who found a job this way?

I read a book on LinkedIn and I think that the authors are jumping on the bandwagon here, just a little too soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I don't like Linkedin. I also don't have a FB account. I think putting all of your history out there for public view on Linkedin or even FB is nuts. No way is my resume or job experience being put in its entirety on Linkedin. I've heard of people supposedly networking or getting job leads from Linkedin, but I will not be using that avenue in seeking employment.

People share entire too much personal info online with these social media sites. At some point, there will be a backlash and it will dissipate, in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I'll just add that I used to have a blank Linkedin account that was made up to browse the site. After seeing that people could see that I viewed their profile, I immediately deleted my account. That function on Linkedin is beyond creepy. It's not a dating site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Motor City in Farmington Hills, Michigan

30 months ago

I used to go to networking meetings when I first was unemployed, thinking it was a great place to go and learn how to get another job. After going for several months, I stopped. I just kept hearing that people are out of work for months, then turned into years, and they apply to several hundred jobs, were called for a few interviews, hoping that one would result in a job. As time passed it became less calls, less interviews, and more emails from people who never mentioned where they are located, a company name, and wanted me to be honest and process checks for them for a 20% cut. I have a Linkedin Account, and have noticed that the only ones who view my account, is past co workers, my customers/vendors, and staffing firms that are not even local. To me it only helps me keep in touch with people I have worked with in the past, and see where they are now, other than that No it has never resulted in anything, yet career counselors insist you get on Linkedin today, they also tell you to hit target companies that you would like to work for, and to send thank you's to people you interview with, do they even let you know the job has been filled? No, because most likely it has not, after seeing it reposted. Therefore, I just quit doing everything the career counselor suggests, as IT DOES NOT WORK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Motor City in Farmington Hills, Michigan said: I used to go to networking meetings when I first was unemployed, thinking it was a great place to go and learn how to get another job. After going for several months, I stopped. I just kept hearing that people are out of work for months, then turned into years, and they apply to several hundred jobs, were called for a few interviews, hoping that one would result in a job. As time passed it became less calls, less interviews, and more emails from people who never mentioned where they are located, a company name, and wanted me to be honest and process checks for them for a 20% cut. I have a Linkedin Account, and have noticed that the only ones who view my account, is past co workers, my customers/vendors, and staffing firms that are not even local. To me it only helps me keep in touch with people I have worked with in the past, and see where they are now, other than that No it has never resulted in anything, yet career counselors insist you get on Linkedin today, they also tell you to hit target companies that you would like to work for, and to send thank you's to people you interview with, do they even let you know the job has been filled? No, because most likely it has not, after seeing it reposted. Therefore, I just quit doing everything the career counselor suggests, as IT DOES NOT WORK!

What next? The Elks Club or the Moose Lodge?

What we need are more jobs and less card tricks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I'll just add that I used to have a blank Linkedin account that was made up to browse the site. After seeing that people could see that I viewed their profile, I immediately deleted my account. That function on Linkedin is beyond creepy. It's not a dating site.

Ha! It creeps me out too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

30 months ago

How would employers find someone on Linkedin? Do they have to pay to view resumes like they do on Careerbuilder? In this economy employers don't really have to look, they already are flooded with resumes even when they don't have an opening. Not everyone on Linkedin has resumes posted. Some only have companies and dates, that does not say what they did at the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

30 months ago

Ive been contacted twice by internal HR recruiters on LinkedIN. (not agency recruiters)
One was just a phone interview and the other concluded with a F2F interview with the Hiring Manager.

Motor City has it right though.. for the most part, it's a load of crap and only a means of keeping in touch with past co-workers.
And, if I hadn't been contacted those two times by those recruiters, I'd probably pull my profile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZoeySnap in Orange County, California

30 months ago

I deleted my Linkedin account a couple months ago. I had it for years at it's never benefited me in any way. I honestly don't see the point. I googled my name once and it's really scary to see how many times my name comes up. I don't even like having my portfolio and resume online but often an employer will ask for an online link to your website when you apply for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

30 months ago

I know that recruiters use LinkedIn to find candidates for jobs. Posting your resume might not lead to a job interview but, you could come across an opportunity. It is definitely worth having a basic account that you don't pay for just in case.

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California said: I know that recruiters use LinkedIn to find candidates for jobs. Posting your resume might not lead to a job interview but, you could come across an opportunity. It is definitely worth having a basic account that you don't pay for just in case.

Oh, you are going to pay for this but maybe not in monetary terms. That information is harvested by a lot of marketing firms and who knows how this will be used one day.

Read the fine print.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rythmbluz2001 in Arlington, Virginia

16 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Ha! It creeps me out too.

Creepy is right. Iam on LinkedIn and it said.. 6 people have viewed your profile. Okay, all but two were past co-workers and there are two who are anonymous. No picture or company profile with a first name and last name letter. I had at one time toyed with putting my resume on there. Not anyone. If you are legit you will use a photo full name and company. Otherwise it has stalker appeal in my opinion.

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

16 months ago

Several day s ago I took my resume down and deleted my linked-in account (though running in to some difficulty with that), having my resume on there has netted me nothing. I did not embellish or otherwise lie on my resume or profile, so that may have been the problem....

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

16 months ago

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida said: Several day s ago I took my resume down and deleted my linked-in account (though running in to some difficulty with that), having my resume on there has netted me nothing. I did not embellish or otherwise lie on my resume or profile, so that may have been the problem....

You might want to check back in a month. Once I made my profile private and a few months later I looked at it and it was public again! Huh???

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You might want to check back in a month. Once I made my profile private and a few months later I looked at it and it was public again! Huh???

Thanks, I'm turning in to a total privacy nutjob so I'll make sure to check on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kiki9 in New Jersey

15 months ago

At an unemployment "workshop" I attended recently they boasted about the utmost importance of opening an Linkedin account to find a job. Who the heck wants all your personal info out there for anyone & everyone to see? Not me either; I'm also a privacy freak. Glad I found this thread.

They also said how important it was to make & carry around your business cards with your top 5 skills on the back. Really? That kinda makes me laugh. Carrying your resume with you-Absolutely yes...But business cards?....Maybe you should also go door to door in your neighborhood, shopping center & office metro park. Heck, why don't we bring a magic hat and rabbit too so we can demonstrate all our skills on command. Oh...and lets not forget the tap shoes; that would also demonstrate that we are multi-taskers!

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

kiki9 in New Jersey said: At an unemployment "workshop" I attended recently they boasted about the utmost importance of opening an Linkedin account to find a job. Who the heck wants all your personal info out there for anyone & everyone to see? Not me either; I'm also a privacy freak. Glad I found this thread.

They also said how important it was to make & carry around your business cards with your top 5 skills on the back. Really? That kinda makes me laugh. Carrying your resume with you-Absolutely yes...But business cards?....Maybe you should also go door to door in your neighborhood, shopping center & office metro park. Heck, why don't we bring a magic hat and rabbit too so we can demonstrate all our skills on command. Oh...and lets not forget the tap shoes; that would also demonstrate that we are multi-taskers!

They say that here too.

They had a story here about someone who stuck his resume under the windshield wiper of every expensive car he came across. Wonder where he read about that?

I am waiting for that technique to become all the rage next.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

kiki9 in New Jersey said: At an unemployment "workshop" I attended recently they boasted about the utmost importance of opening an Linkedin account to find a job. Who the heck wants all your personal info out there for anyone & everyone to see? Not me either; I'm also a privacy freak. Glad I found this thread.

The new term for HR is Talent Acquisition which some companies are using. Everytime I read that, I want to bring my tap dancing shoes to the next interview.

kiki9 in New Jersey

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They say that here too.

They had a story here about someone who stuck his resume under the windshield wiper of every expensive car he came across. Wonder where he read about that?

Superb idea!

They also mentioned that an executive in Texas lost his very high paying job-lost his house etc., so he made a life sized cardboard pictures of himself with a tray of his resumes and placed it on the corners of several intersections & what do you know.........He found a 60k a year position.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

kiki9 in New Jersey said: Superb idea!

They also mentioned that an executive in Texas lost his very high paying job-lost his house etc., so he made a life sized cardboard pictures of himself with a tray of his resumes and placed it on the corners of several intersections & what do you know.........He found a 60k a year position.

Well, what are we waiting for?

What we need are more jobs and less gimmicks like LinkedIn and cardboard pictures of ourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They say that here too.

I am waiting for that technique to become all the rage next.

The director of one of the museums I volunteer at went out to his car one morning to find a flyer on his windshield. He happened to glance at it before throwing it away..... was from a woman who was looking for people to pay her utilities, mortgage, etc. Flyers were posted all through the neighborhood......

YourCalIisBeingRedirected in SomewhereOverTheRainbow, Kentucky

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Well, what are we waiting for?

What we need are more jobs and less gimmicks like LinkedIn and cardboard pictures of ourselves.

Amen!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.