Recruiter Thank You

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

valentine in Austin, Texas

31 months ago

So I applied for a position, I received an email indicating that my application would be forwarded onto the hiring manager. I spoke to a recruiter today and she said that they hiring manager would prefer to hire internally. So I suppose they are going to go through the process and if no one internally is a good fit, they will then look at the external candidates (which includes me). The recruiter indicated that I had the most experience and prefered qualifications and that it is rare to find someone with my skills.

I was wanting to send a Thank you email to the recruiter to thank her for her time in speaking with me and to maybe try to highlight how I am a top candidate for the position. A) Would that be considered inappropriate? B) Do recruiters have any sway over hiring managers?

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

You can do this if you want but Thank You cards/emails have very little bearing on a hiring decision.

I know you always read about the importance of sending a Thank You card. Its only important if you just interviewed with your mother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

TJ in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

I stopped sending them. I used to write one and then and mail it, then I emailed, so they remembered me right after the interview. Now that I don't hear back from them ever again, I just quit doing it. If they are serious about hiring and hire on the spot like the old days, that would never be an issue and people were hired without that Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

If you do one, make it very short and expect nothing in return. It can't hurt. But the likelihood of it getting you the job is infinitesimal.

Also, as to the term "recruiter," do you mean someone who works outside of the company where the hiring manager is? If that's the case, the nix the thank you letter and disregard everything that person told you because a recruiter's word means nil. Sorry, but that's the fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

TJ in Chicago, Illinois said: I stopped sending them. I used to write one and then and mail it, then I emailed, so they remembered me right after the interview. Now that I don't hear back from them ever again, I just quit doing it. If they are serious about hiring and hire on the spot like the old days, that would never be an issue and people were hired without that Thank you.

Nobody hires on the spot anymore and Thank You cards are for BABY SHOWERS.

I haven't sent one in 15 years and I have been hired several times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

31 months ago

Actually, I sent a thank-you email to the last manager that hired me.
Ended up getting me $92K/yr and a free company parking spot!

But, hiring managers are a little tighter with giving out contact information these days and prefer to use their HR department as a shield against hungry candidates.

If you want to send a Thank You card/email.. do it when you're sure you're at the last phase of the interview process; not at every step along the way. Not recruiters, not HR people..(unless you're interviewing for HR)
And spread lots of sugar on it !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

31 months ago

Thank you cards for Baby Showers, that made me laugh! Just like Christmas cards, the younger generation doesn't bother with them, they send an E-Greeting card if that. Glad to hear that others don't bother with the thank you notes either. We are not sending, as the employers don't bother sending rejection letters, the same "BS" just change the name and address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

It really has become an ignore and delete world.

To wit:

Never answer the phone unless you know the caller

Ignore and delete voice mail

Ignore and delete email

Ignore and trash letters

And, in general, never respond to anyone unless you know them in person.

I think that about covers it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

31 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: It really has become an ignore and delete world.

To wit:

Ignore and delete email

Ignore and trash letters

This is so true. It can be frustrating when looking for a job. When I was looking, I rarely heard back from companies after submitting my resume. I always tell people to follow up and send thank-you's but, in this day and age, job competition is a lot more cut throat than it used to be, & hiring managers don't feel the need to follow up or even contact people if they are no longer being considered for the job. I just think it's rude especially when you can send an email so quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: It really has become an ignore and delete world.

To wit:

Ignore and delete email

Ignore and trash letters

I read somewhere that about 70% of our communication today takes place, Persona Absentia - not face-to-face.

Unfortunately, we are all becoming inured to all the beeps, buzzes and peeps around us.

I know myself that I never answer an email at work after 4:00 pm on a Friday. No good can ever come of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

31 months ago

To wit:

Ignore and delete email

Ignore and trash letters

And, in general, never respond to anyone unless you know them in person. I think that about covers it.

That is why Recruiters screen callers.

You check in with them, they have no job and ignore you.

Like recuiters who live in a different time zone than you that is 2 hours ahead of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

KB in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

I don't bother with thank you letters either, that should not determine if you are hired or not. Skills and ability to do the job should be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

30 months ago

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California said: This is so true. It can be frustrating when looking for a job. When I was looking, I rarely heard back from companies after submitting my resume. I always tell people to follow up and send thank-you's but, in this day and age, job competition is a lot more cut throat than it used to be, & hiring managers don't feel the need to follow up or even contact people if they are no longer being considered for the job. I just think it's rude especially when you can send an email so quickly.

That quote is so true. I've been looking for a job for months now. Have recruiters supposedly "working for me". This one guy has been stringing me along for over a month now telling me he has this great job I'd be perfect for in Western, AZ. Can waste TWO hours of my time telling me about how much money he makes, what kind of car he drives, brags about how many nurses he's placed, etc. Then when I questioned him on the status of a part. job that he SAID HE SUBMITTED ME TO, dances around the answer. How funny in casual conversation I mentioned to him one day that I had an interview with a facility near my home. Twenty minutes later, he calls me and tells me I sent your profile over to ....hospital and they're interested in speaking with you. Hmm, I thought you submitted me 3 weeks ago.Send him emails...no response, yet he feels it's appropriate to call me at 9pm on a Friday night or on a Sunday afternoon. After what happened this week and sick of recruiters lying CONSTANTLY....honest to God, I'm ready to throw in the towel for Nursing. These idiots' jobs are to get me a job and I'm starving. How much can one person take? I can actually go on my computer and block certain numbers...just asking for advice. Should I block his number? This guy can tell the hospitals "she's a horrible nurse". He's ticked off because another recruiter got ahead of him and submitted me before he did. Well, that's what u get for lying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mahsati in Brampton, Ontario

5 months ago

valentine in Austin, Texas said:

I was wanting to send a Thank you email to the recruiter to thank her for her time in speaking with me and to maybe try to highlight how I am a top candidate for the position. A) Would that be considered inappropriate? B) Do recruiters have any sway over hiring managers?

Thanks,

Well, if you are truly Sincerely Grateful to her for assisting you then why wouldn't you? I would Send a Thank You email; if its just before the holiday I would send a thank you card. If you have a printer at home you can type it right to your card and mail her. What's wrong of being grateful to people around you; especially to those that help you to get there where you wish to be.

If it is Only For getting a Job then better Forget about It. People are not stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

Mahsati in Brampton, Ontario said: Well, if you are truly Sincerely Grateful to her for assisting you then why wouldn't you? I would Send a Thank You email; if its just before the holiday I would send a thank you card. If you have a printer at home you can type it right to your card and mail her. What's wrong of being grateful to people around you; especially to those that help you to get there where you wish to be.

If it is Only For getting a Job then better Forget about It. People are not stupid.

WELL SAID, Mahsati. I was recently contemplating sending a thank you note and got caught all up in traditions and what the "experts" say you ought to do. Then I realized I should send thank you notes only if genuinely appreciative and for no other reason. Just write a simple note to say thank you and leave the fluff out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia said: Then I realized I should send thank you notes only if genuinely appreciative and for no other reason. Just write a simple note to say thank you and leave the fluff out.

That's the only reason.

If you think that sending a Thank You card will "tip the odds" in your favor, that only works if you had the interview with your mother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

misstee0784 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

6 days ago

I send a thank you letter if it is a position I am truly interested. I had an interview a few weeks ago and the hiring manager was very rude. They received nothing from me. I had an interview today where everyone was very kind and I connected with the hiring manager on a personal letter so I am sending her a thank you note with an added "good luck on your CPA exam!" simply because she was so sweet and I am a nice person. I think the older posts sound very cynical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.