Relocating

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

IW in Stafford Springs, Connecticut

17 months ago

My current job will be over at the end of the year as the company is migrating down south and I was not included in those plans. There is not much work at all in my local area that fits my background. There is a pretty good opportunity that is outside of my realistic commute distance, about almost 80 miles one way. The pay is decent.

What complicates things is I own a house and property. It has always been in my family's name for 50+ years. There is no mortgage on it and I have a very good amount of privacy.

How many of you would be willing to give that up for a new job? It is not even necessarily a dream job, but looks the best for now. This would involve moving to central MA coming from CT, which is just as bad if not worse in terms of cost of living and I would almost certainly not get the same amount of home/property for what I would sell it for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

No, it would involved staying in a motel during the week and coming home on the weekends. In states like California and Texas, its not as uncommon as you might think.

When I lived in California, there were people who drove 80 miles, one way, every day. Not me but they have some real road warriors out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

17 months ago

When I lived in NH, at one point, I was transferred to another office too far to commute. I kept my apartment while renting the spare room. I rented a room in a rooming house near my new location. If the person I "rented" the room to actually paid me the rent, I would have broken even.

A commute like you talk about would not work for me, and I can certainly understand not wanting to give up the house.

KA2 in Sydney

17 months ago

Obviously it depends on your personal circumstance, if you have a family & kids or not... etc.

But, since there isn't much work in your local area:
-if you like driving, may be you can commute daily temporarily.
-or may be rent out your house & rent something temporarily at the new location

Then you can see if you like the new job & down the track decide whether you want to sell your house or not...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: When I lived in California, there were people who drove 80 miles, one way, every day. Not me but they have some real road warriors out there.

That's because they live in the Central Valley where there are no jobs unless you are good with the wrong side of the agriculture game. We used to have people do this and I'd think, I know this place, they can't even be paying you $15.00/hr, and you commute almost 100 miles? There's gotta be something, somewhere.

On the other hand, they could probably do that 100 miles faster than I could do 30 to Silicon Valley.

And, I have to admit, that I did it for 6 months. It was absolutely horrible. Get up at 5:30AM, get home at 7:00 and that was without much traffic. You don't work out. You eat badly. And you end up 20 pounds heavier. I wasn't making $15.00 but it still hugely sucked.

17 months ago

Oh, and this just reminded me. We had a sales guy in the Central Valley. I looked at his territory and asked two questions, why are we servicing it, and why are you working it? He drove a big old 20mpg truck if I remember correctly. If I remember his numbers correctly he wasn't even making $40,000.

He should have sold cars, something, anything else.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: That's because they live in the Central Valley where there are no jobs unless you are good with the wrong side of the agriculture game. We used to have people do this and I'd think, I know this place, they can't even be paying you $15.00/hr, and you commute almost 100 miles? There's gotta be something, somewhere.

On the other hand, they could probably do that 100 miles faster than I could do 30 to Silicon Valley.

And, I have to admit, that I did it for 6 months. It was absolutely horrible. Get up at 5:30AM, get home at 7:00 and that was without much traffic. You don't work out. You eat badly. And you end up 20 pounds heavier. I wasn't making $15.00 but it still hugely sucked.

When I worked in downtown Los Angeles we had a contest as to who lived the closest and who lived the farthest.

The closest was a guy who rented an apartment, five minutes from the office. He walked to work. The guy who lived the farthest, lived in Baja, California.

He worked a 4 ten hour day. He had a reserved room at a motel close by and stayed there during his work week. He drove home on the weekends.

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

17 months ago

I don't know. Interesting topic. Kinda sucksss that your company has no plans for you.

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:

He worked a 4 ten hour day. He had a reserved room at a motel close by and stayed there during his work week. He drove home on the weekends.

That's not toooooo bad you know. 3 day weekend!

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: That's not toooooo bad you know. 3 day weekend!

Doing it for anything less than 50k would suckkk though.

17 months ago

Any commute longer than 45 min really bites.

still retired in Texas

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: No, it would involved staying in a motel during the week and coming home on the weekends. In states like California and Texas, its not as uncommon as you might think.

When I lived in California, there were people who drove 80 miles, one way, every day. Not me but they have some real road warriors out there.

I traveled for 18 years. It gets old. 140 miles a day. I had no choice at the time. Dropped my babies at daycare at 5am work by 730. It was a fast life back then. Then gas went up :( my babies were more self suffient ;). Thank the Lawd for faster speed limits and highways that move. People do it all the time like you said.

17 months ago

IW in Stafford Springs, Connecticut said: It is not even necessarily a dream job, but looks the best for now.

Remember, most jobs aren't even as good as you think they will be. This one is probably going be even alittle less good than you actually think it will be.

17 months ago

still retired in Texas said: I traveled for 18 years. It gets old. 140 miles a day. I had no choice at the time. Dropped my babies at daycare at 5am work by 730. It was a fast life back then. Then gas went up :( my babies were more self suffient ;). Thank the Lawd for faster speed limits and highways that move. People do it all the time like you said.

Why don't DH's wear high heals at work? I think this would be basic Marketing 101.

still retired in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Why don't DH's wear high heals at work? I think this would be basic Marketing 101.

OSHA

still retired in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Why don't DH's wear high heals at work? I think this would be basic Marketing 101.

Its not ben and jerrys work in the office stuff

17 months ago

still retired in Texas said: OSHA

God Bless You. You got a cold?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

still retired in Texas said: Its not ben and jerrys work in the office stuff

You talk funny!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: You talk funny!

QUE?

Side note: consult with me before going to any DH sites

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The closest was a guy who rented an apartment, five minutes from the office. He walked to work. The guy who lived the farthest, lived in Baja, California.

Did they give him alarm duty? My old employer used to do that to the closest employee.

I was close but fortunately there was a higher ranking guy who lived almost across the street. He really didn't have a formal job at that point so he did anything anyone asked of him. He made it all the way to the end too, is collecting UI, and in a year or so, goes on SS.

Nice guy and took a lot of abuse to get through it. I'm happy for him.

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Did they give him alarm duty? My old employer used to do that to the closest employee.

I was close but fortunately there was a higher ranking guy who lived almost across the street. He really didn't have a formal job at that point so he did anything anyone asked of him. He made it all the way to the end too, is collecting UI, and in a year or so, goes on SS.

Nice guy and took a lot of abuse to get through it. I'm happy for him.

My older sister did that. Worked for one bank for 11 years. Never had a problem. The bank was bought out and immediately everything she did was wrong. She kept her mouth shut and just put up with all the "new rules".

In the meantime, she had all of her medical issues taken care of and paid off all her bills and slashed costs to the bone. Someone obviously noticed and made her "redundant". They put her out to pasture. She rolled over onto UI and did 99 weeks. From there she went on early SS.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.