Resumes and Out of Work for a Year

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 102)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine

63 months ago

this economy is driving me up the wall. been laid off too long now (2 years and counting) and panicking since I have only 8 weeks left of unemployment. I want a job but I am either over or under qualified. I just wish someone would give me a break! Seriously, I have 10+ years of Administrative Support and Office Receptionist skills under my belt plus Data Entry skills and nobody seems to want to hire me. why? seriously, applying online sucks because there is no guarentee that your resume and skills will be seen by potential managers/Human resources, hiring managers...why? why in this economy would hiring companies/managers choose now to be "picky," with whom they hire? you'd think they'd want just about anyone. not so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jinright in Flower Mound, Texas

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Sure. Everyone wants to work at home, of course. As the expression goes, anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. Therefore, if a work-at-home scheme sounds too good to be true (and most of them do), it probably is. Hope that helps. Good luck with your efforts.

I believe in every profession it's all about generating revenue. It doesn't matter if you work at home or for a large corporation that was started out of home, i.e. Google. Sure there's a lot of scams out there and this would include corporate America one of the biggest scams going. There are also lots of legitimate opportunities. The problem comes when people expect overnight success and it doesn't happen. so it's far easier to say something is a scam verses taking accountability for yourself.

The paradigm has shifted in the U.S. and in Europe. The day of the big Corporations providing job security are coming to end. Hence, we are now coming into the age of the entrepreneur. Yes be suspicious of anything promising something for nothing. However, if people are willing to work hard and invest time or resources your potential rewards will exceed the mundane existence of being a corporate surf! Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

edd in Jamaica, New York

63 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: this economy is driving me up the wall. been laid off too long now (2 years and counting) and panicking since I have only 8 weeks left of unemployment. I want a job but I am either over or under qualified. I just wish someone would give me a break! Seriously, I have 10+ years of Administrative Support and Office Receptionist skills under my belt plus Data Entry skills and nobody seems to want to hire me. why? seriously, applying online sucks because there is no guarentee that your resume and skills will be seen by potential managers/Human resources, hiring managers...why? why in this economy would hiring companies/managers choose now to be "picky," with whom they hire? you'd think they'd want just about anyone. not so.

i hear ya , in the same damn boat as u are in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JobSeeker in Brighton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

I just hit the 1 year and 3 months mark being out of work. My financial resources have been depleted almost completely yet I'm still trying to have faith and "keep busy", and focused on my job hunt.

As a professional recruiter of 14 years, I know first hand that having a gap on your resume is certainly something that can be overcome but it must be overcome skillfully. You must have something to say that is "reasonable" about what you were doing that time off. And being "authentic" in your answer is equally important. Be honest, real, but strategic in how you answer. It's no secret the job market is the worst in a very long time and not unusual to be out of work over a year. I'm appalled to hear that a job posting actually said that if you were out of work for a certain amount of time that you would not be considered. I highly suggest that if you see something like that in writing anywhere, that you consider getting HR LEGAL advice and consider pressing charges. I'm sure you would win!!!! That is blatant discrimination.

This is a numbers gain, we have to keep trying, keep talking it up with out networks, keep applying, and hope for the best. Good luck everyone!!

JS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aurora in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

62 months ago

Hi. How do you mean "overcome skillfully?" I think the best scenario would be volunteer work that utilized one or more of one's work skills. Aside from that, I'm stymied and would appreciate any suggetions. Thank you

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

Aurora, if you didn't understand skillfully, you won't get it. You're not working, period. There is nothing to put on your resume. What do you do. You say you were out of work because you were in college, taking 15 credits each semester, or you were taking care of a terminally ill parent (which I had at one time), or you were working on personal interests, such as exploring the world, the state, helping others, or whatever you have to fill in your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I agree with Mary in Tampa. The way you overcome the gap is as soon as you talk to someone on the phone, because hopefully prior to being unemployed you have a solid background where they really do want to talk to you, you simply tell them what you have been doing. Here is the truth and I say it, "Well, at first the time afforded me the opportunity to take care of a sick relative in another state for two months which was a blessing to have that time. I also traveled a bit trying to ride out the terrible unemployment market, and now I do hospice volunteer work, and visit children in hospitals with my dog (pet therapy dog) which is very gratifying." I then say....."I'm am so eager to get back to work and ready to come out of the gate strong." Now personally this response is working because I have had job offers but the offers where more then three times less than what I used to make.

The point is, dont fill the gap on the resume with these things, be ready to speak authentically about what you have been doing. And if you have been doing nothing, well I guess that's not so good. Start reading, volunteer or start basket weaving and pick up a new hobby.

This being unemployed is not easy but you're not alone. Keep the faith....you'll have good days and bad days but keep moving, keep applying, keep networking, and try and stay positive. (and it's always good to talk to friends and loved ones who understand what your going through...get your feelings out.) Then brush it off, be a professional and keep up the search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

62 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: this economy is driving me up the wall. been laid off too long now (2 years and counting) and panicking since I have only 8 weeks left of unemployment. I want a job but I am either over or under qualified. I just wish someone would give me a break! Seriously, I have 10+ years of Administrative Support and Office Receptionist skills under my belt plus Data Entry skills and nobody seems to want to hire me. why? seriously, applying online sucks because there is no guarentee that your resume and skills will be seen by potential managers/Human resources, hiring managers...why? why in this economy would hiring companies/managers choose now to be "picky," with whom they hire? you'd think they'd want just about anyone. not so.

My days of "trying to dress up and leave an impression" are OVER. I'm like, "You need to be actually evaluating me based on my personality, my attitude and what job skills I bring to the table/group, not what type of clothes I'm wearing.....that's dumb...I've seen well dressed women including ones older than me who are very stupid in the work ethics department and also lack moral values, team work/peer interaction skills, common sense and critical thinking skills, but they dress well, so allegedly they are more valuable? I have all those important skills and if I want to dress in jeans, I will. Employers can take it or leave it and hire trash that "looks good", but isn't actually of high quality or professional or they can actually hire quality. How stupid of someone to assume, that because someone is well dressed and wearing high fashion clothes and suits, that they must be a good person."

I've looked at many employers in my community and I'm like, "The work environments you provide are lame, your pay is lame and your system of rewarding hard working people is lame. Things you should be paying attention to, you aren't and dumb things, you are paying attention to."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

vicque fassinger said: Not being willing to say what you have been doing for the past two years raises more flags than at a winter olympics game! You can say you lots of things, and then pick the one that is true:

1) I've taken a hiatus to finish my novel
2) I've been helping my family member recover from an ailment
3) I've been traveling and exploring the country
4) I've been in prison (they'll find that out one way or another)
5) I've been taking classes and improving my skills
6) I've been in a coma
7) I've been sending out 1000s of resumes and you are the first person who
has interviewed me and asked me that!
8) I've been going on lots of interviews and turned down some opportunities as I am holding out for a position where I can continue to grow as an individual while contributing to the success of a corporation; I am looking for a company where I can build a future and remain with them for a long time.
9) I've been catching up on my soap operas
10) I've been eating mass quantities of chips and helluva dip while lounging like a lizard on my sofa with my hound and wondering how if I can wear sweat pants to an interview since I can't fit into my suit anymore

whatever your answer, whatever the response you get from it - you need an answer. I can't imagine a potential employer hiring anyone who has been out of work for the past two years and who doesn't say what they've been doing. Say it and quickly move on to another topic.

LOL Whoa! #10 is funny! Although, I have to admit, not all of us unemployed people have chosen to "let ourselves go", become a slob that lays on the sofa and eats mass quantities of chip, dip or nachos! Some of us actually take some pride in our appearances/health and follow a healthful diet and fitness routine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

Serious, I tend to agree with you, especially about the flakes who dress it up and have nothing to offer. However, looks do matter. Myself, I like to dress comfy because I work better.

62 months ago

rw_davis in Woodinville, Washington said: You dont owe these potential employers any explanation about the lack of employment for 2 years. Not related to your ability and/or experience to do the job. I'm not saying anything except "haven't worked in two years and am ready to get back to work."

I agree with what you said entirely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hi there! I send best wishes and luck to you on your job search, I've done the same type of work you've done for (2+ years) and I definitely find it more enjoyable than recently working in retail (where I was recently, just to say I was "working") and being in a low paying, abusive working environment with supervisors who have low-self esteem and don't stand up for employee rights and don't pay market level hourly wages.

62 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Serious, I tend to agree with you, especially about the flakes who dress it up and have nothing to offer. However, looks do matter. Myself, I like to dress comfy because I work better.

I mean don't get me wrong, even if you wear nice jeans, you should still look nice and wear a nice top. I'm not saying look like a slob. But as far as these employers equating someone who is in a suit, tie or fancy apparel with someone who "must be a good person". I'm like, "You folks are going to be real sorry if you hire someone just because they "look good".....and they don't actually have the goods to perform the job well or work well with others...I've seen women who were well dressed, but whom were nothing but quarrelsome, rude and had horrible personalities."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

F.S. in Salem, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Networks??? At least 10 people that I know have said apply here and I'll see what I can do. Or so and so is hiring just apply there and I'll see what I can do. I have signed up with about 10 recruiters who had solid jobs at good companies. And after 10 months of unemployment still nothing going on. Why should I keep looking with no jobs out there?

So for me networking is a waste of time.

62 months ago

F.S. in Salem, Massachusetts said: Networks??? At least 10 people that I know have said apply here and I'll see what I can do. Or so and so is hiring just apply there and I'll see what I can do. I have signed up with about 10 recruiters who had solid jobs at good companies. And after 10 months of unemployment still nothing going on. Why should I keep looking with no jobs out there?

So for me networking is a waste of time.

I understand your frustration when what you think are good leads or "ins" from your networks seem to go nowhere or do not pan out. They have a much greater probability of success because your are basically already somewhat prequalified. If someone refers you they are say, I know this guy or gal, or I've worked with them in the past and they are geat. That is a hell of a lot better than answering job posts on the boards that are saturated with applicants. Your call if you want to slow dow or try and wait out the market if you think your efforts are going nowhere. Always doing something and trying to remain optimistic (in spite of frustration) is better than doing nothing.

ody in Fremont, California

62 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: It doesn't matter what you say because NONE of those reasons are compelling enough to explain why you haven't found work in TWO years. I have been laid off twice since 2007 once because the company I was working for went out of business and second because temp job just ended at end of February that I was at for close to a year.

Even saying you were working at a temp job isn't good enough because the interviewer will wonder why you didn't go perm

They (the interviewers) think you are hiding something. either hiding a job you got fired from or have really bad references from

My advice is don't sound desperate. If you have a gap, just say that you are in no hurry to just take any job, you are taking your time to find the RIGHT job, because once you find it, you intend to stay long-term. Then, follow the statement up with specific reasons why this job is exactly what you've been looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I agree with those who said networking is a waste of time - not only a waste, but a bit demeaning.

"Um, hi, I don't know if you remember me.. we met at a luncheon three years ago... no, no, I worked for ABC Co... Anyway, can you do me a favor?"

Not my style, unfortunately.

F.S. in Salem, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Doesn't make sense except in a deep recession. Your talking about a decision if you hire the wrong person its expensive. If 4 people all have a friend or relative looking for a job. They move to the front of the line ahead of everyone else. I'd lie in this case even if they weren't qualified. You might already have 300 resumes of qualified with no other way of narrowing down the field.

FS

62 months ago

Then why is networking the in thing now? Assuming no one lies just ask around "we're hiring a lawyer, if you have friend who is a lawyer just bring him in and there hired.

62 months ago

FS said: Then why is networking the in thing now? Assuming no one lies just ask around "we're hiring a lawyer, if you have friend who is a lawyer just bring him in and there hired.

Well, that isn't networking exactly. As long as I have been working, referring a friend or family member has been common. "Networking" is more about gathering lists of everyone you know or have ever known and trying to get introduced to their friends who may in turn know people in high places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in North Hollywood, California

62 months ago

vicque fassinger said: Not being willing to say what you have been doing for the past two years raises more flags than at a winter olympics game! You can say you lots of things, and then pick the one that is true:

1) I've taken a hiatus to finish my novel
2) I've been helping my family member recover from an ailment
3) I've been traveling and exploring the country
4) I've been in prison (they'll find that out one way or another)
5) I've been taking classes and improving my skills
6) I've been in a coma
7) I've been sending out 1000s of resumes and you are the first person who
has interviewed me and asked me that!
8) I've been going on lots of interviews and turned down some opportunities as I am holding out for a position where I can continue to grow as an individual while contributing to the success of a corporation; I am looking for a company where I can build a future and remain with them for a long time.
9) I've been catching up on my soap operas
10) I've been eating mass quantities of chips and helluva dip while lounging like a lizard on my sofa with my hound and wondering how if I can wear sweat pants to an interview since I can't fit into my suit anymore

whatever your answer, whatever the response you get from it - you need an answer. I can't imagine a potential employer hiring anyone who has been out of work for the past two years and who doesn't say what they've been doing. Say it and quickly move on to another topic.

I love comment number 9 and 10. These 2 I can relate too. lol. Sometimes we need a good laugh!

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

62 months ago

It doesn't matter what you say because it won't be believed. Right now I am focusing on either buying an existing small business or getting my insurance license. sending out resume after resume where it goes to the same employment agency seems pointless

62 months ago

Nick - Just a heads up. I worked in the insurance field. I don't know how your credit is. Mine is a wreck due to being unemployed but if you don't have good credit you won't be able to get an agent's license.

greatminds in Savannah, Georgia

62 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: It doesn't matter what you say because it won't be believed.

Good point. Some of them will think you are lying right off bat without even giving you a chance to explain the gap.

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

The purpose of a resume is to get either a phone interview and/or an in-person interview. Every bloody thang you've ever done or are doing does not need to be on it - including why you are or are not doing what someone else thinks you ought to be doing now (i.e. working!).

For some clients, I update their resumes and put their most recent job (the one they just got fired from or let go) in PRESENT tense. AS IF they came to me months ago when they really were still working. So it might read, "Office Manager whatever year you got hired thru to -present" - For whatever crazy psychological reason, folks who are employed seem to have a better chance at landing that phone interview or the in-person interview over someone who writes "a specific year to the next year" as their most recent employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

Again, the point is to get NOTICED. To get a phone call. Once you have that person. that decision-maker, that screener - on the phone or in front of you - that's when you bring to life all that you have been practicing in the shower!

You have a firm handshake. You look him/her in the eyes. You say you haven't had your resume updated yet (true).

There are TONS of ways to earn money for yourself. TONS. Think outside the box. THINK NO WHERE NEAR THE BOX. Start a delivery service for seniors or homebound people in your hood. Mow lawns. Volunteer one day at an animal shelter or your local hospital. DO SOMETHING.

And for Pete's (and yours) sake - GET A PROFESSIONAL to look at your resume before you send it out to the universe. IT MATTERS how it looks and how it reads. Just like it matters if you have a spot on your tie, sweaty palms, or old shoes. And jeans? Who the heck where's jeans to an interview?? It doesn't matter WHAT you do for a living, there are enough casual-nice pants out there to wear to an interview over jeans! (Well, not literally over jeans - unless you want to be an astronaut)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

vicque fassinger said: The purpose of a resume is to get either a phone interview and/or an in-person interview. Every bloody thang you've ever done or are doing does not need to be on it - including why you are or are not doing what someone else thinks you ought to be doing now (i.e. working!).

For some clients, I update their resumes and put their most recent job (the one they just got fired from or let go) in PRESENT tense. AS IF they came to me months ago when they really were still working. So it might read, "Office Manager whatever year you got hired thru to -present" - For whatever crazy psychological reason, folks who are employed seem to have a better chance at landing that phone interview or the in-person interview over someone who writes "a specific year to the next year" as their most recent employment.

Do you think the majority of the 15 million who are officially listed as 'unemployed' will do such a thing?? If no one is going to hire people who are unemployed then unemployment rate will stay high for years. Even the media admits this despite Obama's job bill to give tax credits to companies who hire unemployed people.

But think about that. Maybe when unemployment was just over 5% being unemployed was fatal but now when there are at least 15 million people who are officially unemployed it may not have that stigma. Also, only unemployed people are going to take temp jobs --- you know over 300,000 of them have been created since September and are 'supposed' to lead to 'permanent' jobs

62 months ago

vicque fassinger said: Again, the point is to get NOTICED. To get a phone call. Once you have that person. that decision-maker, that screener - on the phone or in front of you - that's when you bring to life all that you have been practicing in the shower!

You have a firm handshake. You look him/her in the eyes. You say you haven't had your resume updated yet (true).

There are TONS of ways to earn money for yourself. TONS. Think outside the box. THINK NO WHERE NEAR THE BOX. Start a delivery service for seniors or homebound people in your hood. Mow lawns. Volunteer one day at an animal shelter or your local hospital. DO SOMETHING.

And for Pete's (and yours) sake - GET A PROFESSIONAL to look at your resume before you send it out to the universe. IT MATTERS how it looks and how it reads. Just like it matters if you have a spot on your tie, sweaty palms, or old shoes. And jeans? Who the heck where's jeans to an interview?? It doesn't matter WHAT you do for a living, there are enough casual-nice pants out there to wear to an interview over jeans! (Well, not literally over jeans - unless you want to be an astronaut)!

You should never wear anything other than a business suit (unless they tell you otherwise when setting up the appointment) to an interview for a professional position. People actually need to be reminded of this?? Really?

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

I am pretty sure I read in a post here that someone was writing about wearing nice jeans to an interview? That's why I mentioned this. A lot of what I write and what others write is common sense to some - and to others maybe not so much. And that's the great thing about this forum. Take what helps you and your particular circumstances and discard the rest. Not all hundreds of thousands of unemployed individuals in the country are going to read this and write their resumes in present tense. What's worse, they are not going to have a professional writer look it over for them to make sure they get the ABSOLUTE best shot at being seriously considered for a phone call or an in-person interview.

If anyone out there reading this would like to either post all or a portion of their resume here - for my professional 2 cents (or send it to me personally) - I would be more than happy to tell you what I think about it - the good, the bad, and the ugly - to perhaps help get it right before it gets sent out into the universe.

(And you can sport jeans while you email it to me).

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

62 months ago

vicque fassinger said: For some clients, I update their resumes and put their most recent job (the one they just got fired from or let go) in PRESENT tense. AS IF they came to me months ago when they really were still working. So it might read, "Office Manager whatever year you got hired thru to -present" -

Okay but won't the employer find out that the person is not presently working? Isn't that being dishonest by putting for example 2006-Present when in fact you are not presently working? Even if by some chance you do get the job they can still find out that you have not been working.

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Okay but won't the employer find out that the person is not presently working? Isn't that being dishonest by putting for example 2006-Present when in fact you are not presently working? Even if by some chance you do get the job they can still find out that you have not been working.

Sure, they will find out you aren't working DURING THE PHONE INTERVIEW - when you wrangle their interest in about how much you know about their company, about your diverse experiences and how they relate to the available job, and about all your wonderful skills. YES, you honestly tell them you are unemployed IF THEY ASK. You can simply say the truth, "Due to the economy they recently abolished our department." Again, your goal when sending out your resume to someone who does not know you exist is to GET A RESPONSE - to get an interview (whether in person or over the phone).

If you plant seeds all over it that raise flags (the year you graduated from college - decades ago, the last date of your last day of work - months ago, all 50 jobs you ever held starting with paper boy - 'cuz you think it will show what a hard worker you are, a notation about being the founding member of a gun club, etc. etc. etc.). The resume is to SPARK an interest. If there is just ONE flag-raiser on it - they'll move on and go to the next candidate - and one flag raiser is that you haven't worked (or done anything worth mentioning since you didn't put anything on it) for 2 years (or however long it's been).

I never advocate dishonesty on the resume (or anywhere in life); the point is, you are not telling a perfect stranger EVERYTHING about you on the paper (resume) UNTIL you speak with them - you are, after all, INTERVIEWING THEM, TOO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

If you plant seeds all over it that raise flags (the year you graduated from college - decades ago, the last date of your last day of work - months ago, all 50 jobs you ever held starting with paper boy - 'cuz you think it will show what a hard worker you are, a notation about being the founding member of a gun club, etc. etc. etc.), you are decreasing the chances of being placed in the "contact" pile of potential candidates.

And, again, GO ON AS MANY INTERVIEWS as your time and finances (gas $$$) will allow. Send the thank you note immediately after the interview and then move on to the next available position you find. You do what you need to do (send out the resume, apply, interview, send the thank you note) and then you let it go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Geez no need to have a spasm. I am simply saying that what happens when they do the background check and find out that you have NOT been working when your resume states 2006-Present? They CAN and WILL write you off as being dishonest. You can be all cavalier and say all the right things, but these employers are not dumb.

Calm down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: I agree with those who said networking is a waste of time - not only a waste, but a bit demeaning.

"Um, hi, I don't know if you remember me.. we met at a luncheon three years ago... no, no, I worked for ABC Co... Anyway, can you do me a favor?"

Not my style, unfortunately.

I agree here.

62 months ago

Ok in this economy getting an interview is a big deal. I just got an invite to interview onsite with a hiring manager tomorrow based on my NETWORK AND NETWORKING!!!I said it was important to network in my last two posts and some people chose to say here that it's a waste of time. Its your choice if you want to give up and believe that!!!!

In this case, someone who I worked with in my past forwarded on my resume to the hiring manager. Initially, I saw the ad for a recruiter position and knew someone that I used to work with now worked at this company. I sent her an email asking if she would like to refer me directly to the hiring manager. She was delighted to. She sent the resume to him. I did not hear anything for over for a week. So, I let her know I did not hear yet. She reminded him this and then his assistant called to first set up a phone interview. After the phone interview the hiring manager said I should get a call in :a couple of days: to set up the onsite interview. I did not hear anything for a week and got nervous that others would beat me to the punch and get an offer. So, even though I was nervous about calling and being too aggressive, I called both him and the assistant to let them know I was "following up and eager to get the interview scheduled." Another week went by and I thought I blew it by making the call. But no, today the assistant called and said it was good that I called because they are just "super busy". I share this in the event anything can be learned here for anyone else. Sometimes we have to go outside our comfort zone and do things we dont want to do or are not comfortable with. It worked in this case. I've also been using linkedin to find names of people within companies where I know they have openings for me. I have gotten call backs and people have been helpful. Again, this is based on my network, because I cant find those names unless those people are linked somehow to my own network. Keep moving and keep the faith.

62 months ago

Regarding the background check comment, there is a way to keep "present" on your resume so they will at least call and then let them know you have not been working since, "X". then you will be asked to fill out a form for a background check or it will be based on your written application. On there make sure to put the exact date that you ended the job. Thats totally honest.

Biggest point, better to get a call like someone else said because it looks like your still working then not get a call at all because they decide not to call.

62 months ago

Networking can be demeaning but I keep having people come to me (who are working) and say try here and there so I said well if it's so easy talk to the person you know who is working there and give them my name so I can get a job there. The other problem is it can go both ways. If the person who is referring you is a good worker they might look at you. If they are not a good worker it could be they won't look at you because of the referral.

vicque fassinger

62 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Geez no need to have a spasm. I am simply saying that what happens when they do the background check and find out that you have NOT been working when your resume states 2006-Present? They CAN and WILL write you off as being dishonest. You can be all cavalier and say all the right things, but these employers are not dumb.

Calm down.

I don't know to whom you are referring about "spasm-ing" and "calming down" ? If you read my post carefully, I state that WHEN YOU GET THE PHONE CALL AND THEY ASK YOU if you are still working, you say YOU GOT LET GO - for whatever the reason is. Of course you tell the truth, I wrote that I advocate honesty. Some people just feel the need to put their life's story on a resume - including the reason they got let go (on the resume!!!) and the EXACT DATE! This forum is filled with many wonderful comments, opinions, and advice. If people took the time to actually READ what is recommended, perhaps they'd do better in their job search process. Now don't have a spasm and get all worked up over this - 'cuz I am sure you didn't read this posting thoroughly either! Now calm down! LOL. Crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Ugggh I think I just screwed up.

I sent a resume/cover letter for a position that had a requirement of being proficient with social networking sites (facebook, twitter, etc). I addressed this requirement on my cover letter but after I sent it, I realized they might try to search for my profiles on these sites by using my email address. They won't find anything because I use a different email address for social networking. I also have a common name so they wouldn't be able to find me just by name either.

I wish I had realized this prior to sending it - but am wondering if I should send another email with links to my profiles (which are private, but just so they know I really do use these sites)? Or is that jumping the gun?

62 months ago

I dont think you have to worry. If they really wanted to see it they would have asked for the link in the requirement. I would not even have thought to send a link to prove I'm proficient with these sites. They would most likely ask you questions to test your proficiency in the interview if you are invited in. I doubt they are going to go searching for proof unless this is a position heavily or solely focused on social networking.

If you are that concerned simply send it again and say you have included the link for their convenience.

TimeForChange in Jefferson, Georgia

62 months ago

jojaje in Hartford, Connecticut said: I was flabberghasted to see that several of the postings, in so many words, stated that candidates out of work for over a year would not be considered!

Who in the world do these employers think make up the majority of the candidate pool? Are they really so oblivious as to what is going on in the job market? How are we going to recover from this economic recession if employers don't put laid off, unemployed people back to work, regardless of their length of unemployment??????

I certainly hope this isn't the latest trend. And, if it is, we should be able to report these businesses to some state or federal government agency.

I agree especially with the last part.

Janet in Van Nuys, California

62 months ago

According to the Home page on YAHOO the recession is over. What the Hell!!!!!!!!

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

i think its discrimination to not hire someone because they have a gap in employment. how do they know that person was disabled or not during the last employment; like myself. i just want to work now and given a chance and hope because i have a gap in employment history does not doom me for finding work forever.

62 months ago

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio said: i think its discrimination to not hire someone because they have a gap in employment. how do they know that person was disabled or not during the last employment; like myself. i just want to work now and given a chance and hope because i have a gap in employment history does not doom me for finding work forever.

They think you are hiding something or see you as damaged goods. Who ever said life was fair

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

thats what interview is for, to find out why there is a gap in employment for any length of time.and to order background checks ect.. but some people dont even get to the interview and just judged right. thats a reality and i am working on changing how employers hire individuals without discrimination.

62 months ago

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio said: thats what interview is for, to find out why there is a gap in employment for any length of time.and to order background checks ect.. but some people dont even get to the interview and just judged right. thats a reality and i am working on changing how employers hire individuals without discrimination.

Is that why unemployment will stay high because no one will hire the 44percent of people out of work longer than six months or worse who have bad credit

tina454542 in Pembroke, Georgia

62 months ago

With the economy the way it is why should employers be wondering why you are out of work??? As for background checks, I believe the only one that should be legal is to see if you have a criminal background. The rest of what they do such as looking at your credit report should be an invasion of your privacy!!!!!!!! Bad things happen to good people. You can only pay with what you have!!! Good credit is important I agree but unless you are rolling in the dough you can only take care of what is needed today, such as house payment, utilities, car insurance, etc. If they want the economy to get back on track start hiring people!!!!
I am trying to get back in school to further my education but I need a job now not 2 years from now!!! When my unemployment runs out what I'm going to do???????
Wake up America let's put our people back to work and get our economy straightened out.

candice in Naugatuck, Connecticut

62 months ago

approaching that 1 year mark of unemployment (I too took off time to assist older generations with medical problems) ... it's an employers' market and it sucks for us job searchers b/c just saying one questionable thing or having a wrong vibe in an interview is death... i don't interview well as i could b/c now constantly second guessing my replies to their questions... of course I can count the number of interviews I've had in the past year on one hand so that's no boost of confidence either. Contemplating putting a family LLC on my resume for present employment b/c have been getting documents in order and managing the commercial rental property of this LLC - would this be a death sentence... or just start volunteering???

mom returningtowork in fairfax, Virginia

62 months ago

Just like other moms here, I became mother in 2007 and gave up my career to take care of my child and haven't worked since then. Are there any tips on how to mention this on my resume or cover letter? I believe the first thing hiring managers see on my resume is the time gap from 2007 since now.... and this is probably the reason I dont get any calls.

Any recommendations or suggestions on how to let recruiters know ( by way of cover letter or resume) that I took break for a genuine cause.

Please let me know.

62 months ago

mom returningtowork in fairfax, Virginia said: Just like other moms here, I became mother in 2007 and gave up my career to take care of my child and haven't worked since then. Are there any tips on how to mention this on my resume or cover letter? I believe the first thing hiring managers see on my resume is the time gap from 2007 since now.... and this is probably the reason I dont get any calls.

Any recommendations or suggestions on how to let recruiters know ( by way of cover letter or resume) that I took break for a genuine cause.

Please let me know.

Gaps are fatal -- say you worked for a friend and have the friend vouch for you especially most agency recruiters who seem to control 90% of all open positions won't present someone with any type of employment ga

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.