Resumes and Out of Work for a Year

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 122)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

vicque fassinger

52 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Okay but won't the employer find out that the person is not presently working? Isn't that being dishonest by putting for example 2006-Present when in fact you are not presently working? Even if by some chance you do get the job they can still find out that you have not been working.

Sure, they will find out you aren't working DURING THE PHONE INTERVIEW - when you wrangle their interest in about how much you know about their company, about your diverse experiences and how they relate to the available job, and about all your wonderful skills. YES, you honestly tell them you are unemployed IF THEY ASK. You can simply say the truth, "Due to the economy they recently abolished our department." Again, your goal when sending out your resume to someone who does not know you exist is to GET A RESPONSE - to get an interview (whether in person or over the phone).

If you plant seeds all over it that raise flags (the year you graduated from college - decades ago, the last date of your last day of work - months ago, all 50 jobs you ever held starting with paper boy - 'cuz you think it will show what a hard worker you are, a notation about being the founding member of a gun club, etc. etc. etc.). The resume is to SPARK an interest. If there is just ONE flag-raiser on it - they'll move on and go to the next candidate - and one flag raiser is that you haven't worked (or done anything worth mentioning since you didn't put anything on it) for 2 years (or however long it's been).

I never advocate dishonesty on the resume (or anywhere in life); the point is, you are not telling a perfect stranger EVERYTHING about you on the paper (resume) UNTIL you speak with them - you are, after all, INTERVIEWING THEM, TOO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger

52 months ago

If you plant seeds all over it that raise flags (the year you graduated from college - decades ago, the last date of your last day of work - months ago, all 50 jobs you ever held starting with paper boy - 'cuz you think it will show what a hard worker you are, a notation about being the founding member of a gun club, etc. etc. etc.), you are decreasing the chances of being placed in the "contact" pile of potential candidates.

And, again, GO ON AS MANY INTERVIEWS as your time and finances (gas $$$) will allow. Send the thank you note immediately after the interview and then move on to the next available position you find. You do what you need to do (send out the resume, apply, interview, send the thank you note) and then you let it go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

52 months ago

Geez no need to have a spasm. I am simply saying that what happens when they do the background check and find out that you have NOT been working when your resume states 2006-Present? They CAN and WILL write you off as being dishonest. You can be all cavalier and say all the right things, but these employers are not dumb.

Calm down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia

52 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: I agree with those who said networking is a waste of time - not only a waste, but a bit demeaning.

"Um, hi, I don't know if you remember me.. we met at a luncheon three years ago... no, no, I worked for ABC Co... Anyway, can you do me a favor?"

Not my style, unfortunately.

I agree here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JobSeeker in Brighton, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Ok in this economy getting an interview is a big deal. I just got an invite to interview onsite with a hiring manager tomorrow based on my NETWORK AND NETWORKING!!!I said it was important to network in my last two posts and some people chose to say here that it's a waste of time. Its your choice if you want to give up and believe that!!!!

In this case, someone who I worked with in my past forwarded on my resume to the hiring manager. Initially, I saw the ad for a recruiter position and knew someone that I used to work with now worked at this company. I sent her an email asking if she would like to refer me directly to the hiring manager. She was delighted to. She sent the resume to him. I did not hear anything for over for a week. So, I let her know I did not hear yet. She reminded him this and then his assistant called to first set up a phone interview. After the phone interview the hiring manager said I should get a call in :a couple of days: to set up the onsite interview. I did not hear anything for a week and got nervous that others would beat me to the punch and get an offer. So, even though I was nervous about calling and being too aggressive, I called both him and the assistant to let them know I was "following up and eager to get the interview scheduled." Another week went by and I thought I blew it by making the call. But no, today the assistant called and said it was good that I called because they are just "super busy". I share this in the event anything can be learned here for anyone else. Sometimes we have to go outside our comfort zone and do things we dont want to do or are not comfortable with. It worked in this case. I've also been using linkedin to find names of people within companies where I know they have openings for me. I have gotten call backs and people have been helpful. Again, this is based on my network, because I cant find those names unless those people are linked somehow to my own network. Keep moving and keep the faith.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Regarding the background check comment, there is a way to keep "present" on your resume so they will at least call and then let them know you have not been working since, "X". then you will be asked to fill out a form for a background check or it will be based on your written application. On there make sure to put the exact date that you ended the job. Thats totally honest.

Biggest point, better to get a call like someone else said because it looks like your still working then not get a call at all because they decide not to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in North Hollywood, California

52 months ago

Networking can be demeaning but I keep having people come to me (who are working) and say try here and there so I said well if it's so easy talk to the person you know who is working there and give them my name so I can get a job there. The other problem is it can go both ways. If the person who is referring you is a good worker they might look at you. If they are not a good worker it could be they won't look at you because of the referral.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger

52 months ago

MiraclePlease in Commerce, Georgia said: Geez no need to have a spasm. I am simply saying that what happens when they do the background check and find out that you have NOT been working when your resume states 2006-Present? They CAN and WILL write you off as being dishonest. You can be all cavalier and say all the right things, but these employers are not dumb.

Calm down.

I don't know to whom you are referring about "spasm-ing" and "calming down" ? If you read my post carefully, I state that WHEN YOU GET THE PHONE CALL AND THEY ASK YOU if you are still working, you say YOU GOT LET GO - for whatever the reason is. Of course you tell the truth, I wrote that I advocate honesty. Some people just feel the need to put their life's story on a resume - including the reason they got let go (on the resume!!!) and the EXACT DATE! This forum is filled with many wonderful comments, opinions, and advice. If people took the time to actually READ what is recommended, perhaps they'd do better in their job search process. Now don't have a spasm and get all worked up over this - 'cuz I am sure you didn't read this posting thoroughly either! Now calm down! LOL. Crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ody in Fremont, California

52 months ago

Ugggh I think I just screwed up.

I sent a resume/cover letter for a position that had a requirement of being proficient with social networking sites (facebook, twitter, etc). I addressed this requirement on my cover letter but after I sent it, I realized they might try to search for my profiles on these sites by using my email address. They won't find anything because I use a different email address for social networking. I also have a common name so they wouldn't be able to find me just by name either.

I wish I had realized this prior to sending it - but am wondering if I should send another email with links to my profiles (which are private, but just so they know I really do use these sites)? Or is that jumping the gun?

52 months ago

I dont think you have to worry. If they really wanted to see it they would have asked for the link in the requirement. I would not even have thought to send a link to prove I'm proficient with these sites. They would most likely ask you questions to test your proficiency in the interview if you are invited in. I doubt they are going to go searching for proof unless this is a position heavily or solely focused on social networking.

If you are that concerned simply send it again and say you have included the link for their convenience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TimeForChange in Jefferson, Georgia

52 months ago

jojaje in Hartford, Connecticut said: I was flabberghasted to see that several of the postings, in so many words, stated that candidates out of work for over a year would not be considered!

Who in the world do these employers think make up the majority of the candidate pool? Are they really so oblivious as to what is going on in the job market? How are we going to recover from this economic recession if employers don't put laid off, unemployed people back to work, regardless of their length of unemployment??????

I certainly hope this isn't the latest trend. And, if it is, we should be able to report these businesses to some state or federal government agency.

I agree especially with the last part.

Janet in Van Nuys, California

52 months ago

According to the Home page on YAHOO the recession is over. What the Hell!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio

52 months ago

i think its discrimination to not hire someone because they have a gap in employment. how do they know that person was disabled or not during the last employment; like myself. i just want to work now and given a chance and hope because i have a gap in employment history does not doom me for finding work forever.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

52 months ago

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio said: i think its discrimination to not hire someone because they have a gap in employment. how do they know that person was disabled or not during the last employment; like myself. i just want to work now and given a chance and hope because i have a gap in employment history does not doom me for finding work forever.

They think you are hiding something or see you as damaged goods. Who ever said life was fair

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio

52 months ago

thats what interview is for, to find out why there is a gap in employment for any length of time.and to order background checks ect.. but some people dont even get to the interview and just judged right. thats a reality and i am working on changing how employers hire individuals without discrimination.

52 months ago

nuha in Cleveland, Ohio said: thats what interview is for, to find out why there is a gap in employment for any length of time.and to order background checks ect.. but some people dont even get to the interview and just judged right. thats a reality and i am working on changing how employers hire individuals without discrimination.

Is that why unemployment will stay high because no one will hire the 44percent of people out of work longer than six months or worse who have bad credit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tina454542 in Pembroke, Georgia

52 months ago

With the economy the way it is why should employers be wondering why you are out of work??? As for background checks, I believe the only one that should be legal is to see if you have a criminal background. The rest of what they do such as looking at your credit report should be an invasion of your privacy!!!!!!!! Bad things happen to good people. You can only pay with what you have!!! Good credit is important I agree but unless you are rolling in the dough you can only take care of what is needed today, such as house payment, utilities, car insurance, etc. If they want the economy to get back on track start hiring people!!!!
I am trying to get back in school to further my education but I need a job now not 2 years from now!!! When my unemployment runs out what I'm going to do???????
Wake up America let's put our people back to work and get our economy straightened out.

candice in Naugatuck, Connecticut

52 months ago

approaching that 1 year mark of unemployment (I too took off time to assist older generations with medical problems) ... it's an employers' market and it sucks for us job searchers b/c just saying one questionable thing or having a wrong vibe in an interview is death... i don't interview well as i could b/c now constantly second guessing my replies to their questions... of course I can count the number of interviews I've had in the past year on one hand so that's no boost of confidence either. Contemplating putting a family LLC on my resume for present employment b/c have been getting documents in order and managing the commercial rental property of this LLC - would this be a death sentence... or just start volunteering???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mom returningtowork in fairfax, Virginia

52 months ago

Just like other moms here, I became mother in 2007 and gave up my career to take care of my child and haven't worked since then. Are there any tips on how to mention this on my resume or cover letter? I believe the first thing hiring managers see on my resume is the time gap from 2007 since now.... and this is probably the reason I dont get any calls.

Any recommendations or suggestions on how to let recruiters know ( by way of cover letter or resume) that I took break for a genuine cause.

Please let me know.

52 months ago

mom returningtowork in fairfax, Virginia said: Just like other moms here, I became mother in 2007 and gave up my career to take care of my child and haven't worked since then. Are there any tips on how to mention this on my resume or cover letter? I believe the first thing hiring managers see on my resume is the time gap from 2007 since now.... and this is probably the reason I dont get any calls.

Any recommendations or suggestions on how to let recruiters know ( by way of cover letter or resume) that I took break for a genuine cause.

Please let me know.

Gaps are fatal -- say you worked for a friend and have the friend vouch for you especially most agency recruiters who seem to control 90% of all open positions won't present someone with any type of employment ga

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mom returningtowork in fairfax, Virginia

52 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Gaps are fatal -- say you worked for a friend and have the friend vouch for you especially most agency recruiters who seem to control 90% of all open positions won't present someone with any type of employment ga

Hi Nick,
The kind of profile I had was a senior IT Business Analyst. If I lie on my resume that I worked for a friend during last 3 years, isnt that risky meaning dont companies go for background checks and all? First, I dont have a friend who can vouch for me and secondly most corps go really deep these days to do credit and background checks and hunt you down.

Whats your say on that?

tina454542 in Pembroke, Georgia

52 months ago

How do you explain gaps on your resume? Maybe I was looking for a job, hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please give advice on this. I had several jobs where I was in a job program to get me back to work, not through a temp agency but it was a very valuable way to pick up skills. Some jobs were good but others not so good. Can anyone give me some good advice, I do not want to look like a job hopper.

Thank You
The Unemployed

Courtney Mason in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

aurorablue215 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: I'm sure I'm not alone in this: for those who have been out of work for at least a year, how do we address this on our resume?

My last job ended in Nov. 2008. I have never had such a gap between jobs. I hesitate to even send out my resume at this point because of this, figuring the competition is so fierce that this will be a glaring disqualification for me. I've heard it suggested to list volunteer work for the time not worked, but is this viable?

Any input is appreciated.

Due to the downturn of the economy, the unemployment rate is at all time high and companies have been very picky when choosing the lucky candidate to fill in the positions. Most of them are hiring people that will sit in and do the job right away without having been trained on what to do at all to save on their resources, time and money.

You don't have to hesitate in sending out your resume as it will hinder your chances in getting the job you needed. Keep on sending it and be honest to say that you were doing a volunteer work while waiting for the right job that would keep you long-term. Try reading on articles on Interview Mastermind or seek advice form the experts on how to answer interview questions.

FS in Salem, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Courtney Mason in San Francisco, California said: Due to the downturn of the economy, the unemployment rate is at all time high and companies have been very picky when choosing the lucky candidate to fill in the positions. Most of them are hiring people that will sit in and do the job right away without having been trained on what to do at all to save on their resources, time and money.

You don't have to hesitate in sending out your resume as it will hinder your chances in getting the job you needed. Keep on sending it and be honest to say that you were doing a volunteer work while waiting for the right job that would keep you long-term. Try reading on articles on Interview Mastermind or seek advice form the experts on how to answer interview questions.

Waste of money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

rw_davis in Woodinville, Washington said: As far as references go, a lot of companies are getting away from that because of the legal liabilities. They are using a company/website called theworknumber.com for employment verification only. Two of my former employers won't do references. They wil give theworknumber.com website or phone number. There is also an issue of how many companies have gone under in the past 10 years or even the past 2 years. Most of my former employers before 2002 are no longer in business or in business in this state.

I agree with you that. Companies are also looking for verifiable references. Most of the places that I've worked for have either gone out of business or the supervisors that I worked under are not there anymore. What I do now is list my last four jobs, because they are verifiable. I will also give them additional information if they need to verify employment.

I once went to a staffing agency that has a policy of contacting the supervisor that you worked under. I told them that most places will tell you to contact Human Resources, but they said that Human Resources won't give them the information they need. If the supervisor left the company and there's nobody else there who can verify that you worked there, it wouldn't be worth their time to call them. But this is what most staffing agencies do.

My brother once said that it's illegal for a former employer to say something negative against you, and I don't blame him. I believe that when companies verify employment, they can only tell you how long you worked there and what you did. I'm not an employment legal expert, but that's what I know.

52 months ago

To further my comment I applied everywhere, went through recruiters, went through my contacts and went to job fairs. All I got was one interview. My options are done if I'm in the right mood I will not do anything more to find a job. Then 2 days will go by and I'll continue my job search for about a week or 2. I set up Linkedin and get 5 contacts. I added only people I know and invited 40 people and only 5 people added me back.

Recruiters tell me there's nothing but say its picking up. Employers post jobs everywhere and go to job fairs but never call back. My network tells me their companies are busy expanding but never come through.

Even if I only find a short term temp. assignment no one is contacting them for a reference, other temp agencies can wait to find out who it was. I'm writing company confidential on my resume. They refused to help me so I won't help.

52 months ago

FS in Salem, Massachusetts said: To further my comment I applied everywhere, went through recruiters, went through my contacts and went to job fairs. All I got was one interview. My options are done if I'm in the right mood I will not do anything more to find a job. Then 2 days will go by and I'll continue my job search for about a week or 2. I set up Linkedin and get 5 contacts. I added only people I know and invited 40 people and only 5 people added me back.

Recruiters tell me there's nothing but say its picking up. Employers post jobs everywhere and go to job fairs but never call back. My network tells me their companies are busy expanding but never come through.

Even if I only find a short term temp. assignment no one is contacting them for a reference, other temp agencies can wait to find out who it was. I'm writing company confidential on my resume. They refused to help me so I won't help.

I don't understand, supposedly the job market here is supposed to be the best in the country after washington dc. I apply to about 10 jobs and get no response. everything is done online thru a third party website or recruiters. Only got a 4 day temp job thru Kforce (despite all the job postings they have that match my skillset on hotjobs) that got cut down to 2 days because I finished the work so quicly

52 months ago

Janet in North Hollywood, California said: Nick - Just a heads up. I worked in the insurance field. I don't know how your credit is. Mine is a wreck due to being unemployed but if you don't have good credit you won't be able to get an agent's license.

Wow, I have someone in my network hounding me about SELLING funds, insurance, loan modifications part time or full time. He never mentioned that being a problem. Next time I'll ask him about this. It would be a waste of time to go through all that work for nothing. Also 100 % commissions, your an independent contractor, sell sell sell to get paid. You can follow my posts everywhere I'm not a salesmen type. I think it would be a bad fit for me. I just want to find a job in my field and I'll take it from there. Oh yeah the best part is I would have to build my own network from scratch.

Chelle Manderson in tuscaloosa, Alabama

52 months ago

vicque fassinger said: Sure, they will find out you aren't working DURING THE PHONE INTERVIEW - when you wrangle their interest in about how much you know about their company, about your diverse experiences and how they relate to the available job, and about all your wonderful skills. YES, you honestly tell them you are unemployed IF THEY ASK. You can simply say the truth, "Due to the economy they recently abolished our department." Again, your goal when sending out your resume to someone who does not know you exist is to GET A RESPONSE - to get an interview (whether in person or over the phone).

If you plant seeds all over it that raise flags (the year you graduated from college - decades ago, the last date of your last day of work - months ago, all 50 jobs you ever held starting with paper boy - 'cuz you think it will show what a hard worker you are, a notation about being the founding member of a gun club, etc. etc. etc.). The resume is to SPARK an interest. If there is just ONE flag-raiser on it - they'll move on and go to the next candidate - and one flag raiser is that you haven't worked (or done anything worth mentioning since you didn't put anything on it) for 2 years (or however long it's been).

I never advocate dishonesty on the resume (or anywhere in life); the point is, you are not telling a perfect stranger EVERYTHING about you on the paper (resume) UNTIL you speak with them - you are, after all, INTERVIEWING THEM, TOO!

why in the heck do employers check for credit and make that they final decision? u ever apply at a retail store and wondering why the "f" they are want me to sign a paper about fair credit reporting "bull*****" MAJORITY OF THE U.S IS UNDER RECESSION why even chekc for credit !!!!

Janet in Woodland Hills, California

52 months ago

To sell insurance you absolutely have to have a license.

David in Gainesville, Florida

50 months ago

I have just hit my one year mark of being unemployed. I have moved from positive to DEPRESSED. I've even thought about ending it all. At least the insurance money will take care of my family.... I just had an interview and they told me that I was nervous and I would not be happy working there... Bull crap..... I have a physically disability that makes me look a little ugly and that is why. I have never been nervous in an interview in my life, I have been going back to school for the past year, and I have been working since 12! These employers are idiots, and our wonderful messiah Barrack INSANE Obama keeps saying how great the economy is and all these jobs he has created... very sad.... 1 year out of work... NEVER collected government benefits... I don’t qualify.... and I cant find work.... very sad....

50 months ago

rw_davis in Woodinville, Washington said: As far as references go, a lot of companies are getting away from that because of the legal liabilities. They are using a company/website called theworknumber.com for employment verification only. Two of my former employers won't do references. They wil give theworknumber.com website or phone number. There is also an issue of how many companies have gone under in the past 10 years or even the past 2 years. Most of my former employers before 2002 are no longer in business or in business in this state.

I agree with that wholeheartedly! Some companies, and most of the staffing agencies, want a verifiable work history. In fact, I even came across a position that required a 10-year verifiable work history. Of course, I didn't apply for it because I wasn't even qualified for it.

In my entire 33 years in the workforce, most of my supervisors are all gone. Plus a few of the places that I worked at previously have all since gone out of business. Since I've been out work for the last four months, I just list my last four employers. Except for one, the supervisors there have all since left, but there somebody there at each company who could verify that I actually worked there.

50 months ago

One of the staffing agencies that I dealt with a few years ago has a policy of verifying employment with your supervisor. I once told them that most companies are going to tell you to call Human Resources, but they said that Human Resources won't give them the information that you need.

Secondly, whenever they check your references, I let them know that some of my supervisors are no longer with that company, and I will give them the name of somebody else they can call.

Companies, and most definitely staffing agencies, need to realize that supervisors come and go, and companies do either go out of business, downsize, reorganize, or even outsource. I guess in this day and age, there is no such thing as a "verifiable" 10-year employment history.

50 months ago

My fault. I should have said "Whenever they check my references."

50 months ago

As far as job fairs go, I stopped going to them. Most of the companies there want you to have a college degree. They mainly look for outside salespeople, financial stuff, high-tech, and so forth. Definitely out of my range.

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona

50 months ago

David in Gainesville, Florida said: I have just hit my one year mark of being unemployed. I have moved from positive to DEPRESSED. I've even thought about ending it all. At least the insurance money will take care of my family.... I just had an interview and they told me that I was nervous and I would not be happy working there... Bull crap..... I have a physically disability that makes me look a little ugly and that is why. I have never been nervous in an interview in my life, I have been going back to school for the past year, and I have been working since 12! These employers are idiots, and our wonderful messiah Barrack INSANE Obama keeps saying how great the economy is and all these jobs he has created... very sad.... 1 year out of work... NEVER collected government benefits... I don’t qualify.... and I cant find work.... very sad....

I'm so sorry David. I do understand the depression, but please know that ending it all would only make things worse for your family. If there is any sort of help you can get, any sort of support, a job support group, please check it out? Know you are not alone. So many of us are in the same boat. It is NOT your fault. It is just the way things have gone in this country and it IS so sad. One thing to keep in mind, we were losing 700K jobs a month I think for two years or so and they are not going to come back overnight. At least now we are moving in a direction where we're not experiencing the massive losses.

There is a forum online called Unemployed Friends that you might google on. It's a big forum for people who have been unemployed a long time with many topics.

Please hang in there. All we can do is to take things a day at a time.

she in Greer, South Carolina

50 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: but isn't this a form of discrimination? it should be considered so, figuring that this is a bad economy. what if, just for the sake of stating it..what if business across the country got monetary incentives for hiring "past, present laid off workers with some job gaps because of this economy?" why not be creative with this economy...instead of punishing those who have been laid off for more than 1 year. seriously, do they really have that much of a stick up their "you know what?" or their head too far up their, "you know what?"

Actually, it is not discrimination. It is justified by employers as a requirement. Is it rather heartless? Yes, because employers who would pass up a candidate on that basis alone is assuming that they are better off with a candidate who is currently employed.

There are 2 kinds of candidates: Active (you as an unemployed person, or someone who doesn't appreciate that they are actually still employed in this econonomy and is looking)
Pasive (employed, not looking, gets call or email from recruiter, has to be seriously wooed to leave current position)

So, in answer to several questions and comments here: Absolutely list volunteer work, tutoring, course work, continuing education etc that you are doing. Could be what you are doing on your own, through your church or community.

Volunteer work is still work,and if you can volunteer to help an organization in the area of what you were doing (IT, Customer support etc) or in a new area of interest to you, it is very worthy of mention and attention.

Returning to the work force after many years of raising children? List previous skills and knowledge, organizational skills, adaptablity, etc in brief statements. All offices are under staffed so focused, organized and reliable individuals are always needed. Just don't expect to start at the top, or even middle regardless of whether you have a degree, if you have more time out than in.

she in Greer, South Carolina

50 months ago

David in Gainesville, Florida said: I have just hit my one year mark of being unemployed. I have moved from positive to DEPRESSED. I've even thought about ending it all. At least the insurance money will take care of my family.... I just had an interview and they told me that I was nervous and I would not be happy working there... Bull crap..... I have a physically disability that makes me look a little ugly and that is why. I have never been nervous in an interview in my life, I have been going back to school for the past year, and I have been working since 12! These employers are idiots, and our wonderful messiah Barrack INSANE Obama keeps saying how great the economy is and all these jobs he has created... very sad.... 1 year out of work... NEVER collected government benefits... I don’t qualify.... and I cant find work.... very sad....

David - it is a strange realization we are facing these days...but there is NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING good that would come of a drastic action. You would do your family no service in the end.

Please seek help for your depression. I am not one to run to the dr. over every little thing, but depression and the stress of your unemployment are more than most anyone could possibly handle, and you will do yourself a favor too.

I could give all kinds of positive quips and quotes, but lets be real...this situation really is bad for you. Get help for yourself, and see if you can maybe help someone else who is in a similar situation. You never know what great thing you may come up with when you get outside of your own head and focus on someone, or something outside of yourself!! Could lead to a new career you never imagined:)
Peace man...

50 months ago

Thanks for the encouraging words..... I will keep my head up and keep looking. Just pray for me...

50 months ago

Lets not forget that there is actually more than 15 million out of work, because the government estiments dont include people that A. are not on unemployment, B. Have lost their benifits, C. Have been unemployeed for more than 6 months....

I heard this dude, (democrat) on the radio yesterday saying that all this unemployment is not as bad as WE are sayin it is.... and that the fact that there is an average of 6 applicants to one job is bogas and that the unemployment numbers and not as high as we think..... what a moron... but he is right about one thing... there is not 6 applicants to one job.... it is more like 300!!!! YUP! 300! I spoke to a manager the other day and her EXACT words were.... "I have over 300 applicants for an average position all the way down to janitor, and people with degrees are applying for these jobs.... so the only thing I can say is wait, and keep trying."

This administration is so out of touch it is pathetic..... then again, the most scariest words of the english language (or any language) is "I am from the government and I am here to help.....

FS in Lynn, Massachusetts

49 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: The difference is the employed people are coming to you. In that situation, absolutely you should ask them to talk to people in their companies on your behalf. Networking is demeaning when you have beg for help from someone. Not only is doing so demeaning, it is degrading.

Is networking viable still? My network came up with nothing in over 1 year. I was even told to apply on-line by a "network friend" and got an automated answer. What a joke.

skrj in Greer, South Carolina

49 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: My days of "trying to dress up and leave an impression" are OVER. I'm like, "You need to be actually evaluating me based on my personality, my attitude and what job skills I bring to the table/group, not what type of clothes I'm wearing.....that's dumb...I've seen well dressed women including ones older than me who are very stupid in the work ethics department and also lack moral values, team work/peer interaction skills, common sense and critical thinking skills, but they dress well, so allegedly they are more valuable? I have all those important skills and if I want to dress in jeans, I will. Employers can take it or leave it and hire trash that "looks good", but isn't actually of high quality or professional or they can actually hire quality. How stupid of someone to assume, that because someone is well dressed and wearing high fashion clothes and suits, that they must be a good person."

I've looked at many employers in my community and I'm like, "The work environments you provide are lame, your pay is lame and your system of rewarding hard working people is lame. Things you should be paying attention to, you aren't and dumb things, you are paying attention to."

your rant is juvenile, which if added to unprofessional attire would likely make you a great candidate for the local donut shop.

Liberal in Fishers, Indiana

49 months ago

To David in Gainsville, you quickly blame this administration for your trouble. Don't forget about the 'Toy Story Cowboy' who ran this country into the ground with the trillion dollars spent on a ficticious war that he never evan had the balls to put in the budget. Not to metion deregulation of Big Oil, Wall Street, Pharmecutical annd Insurace companies .... Obama inherited a country falling off a cliff!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Perry in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

43 months ago

aurorablue215 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: I'm sure I'm not alone in this: for those who have been out of work for at least a year, how do we address this on our resume?

My last job ended in Nov. 2008. I have never had such a gap between jobs. I hesitate to even send out my resume at this point because of this, figuring the competition is so fierce that this will be a glaring disqualification for me. I've heard it suggested to list volunteer work for the time not worked, but is this viable?

Any input is appreciated.

You are definitely not alone. I have been unemployed since March 2009. It seems there are just NO JOBS. I apply to at least 4 or 5 jobs a week and nothing. It is depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina Crabtree in Pembroke, Georgia

42 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Blame it on the economy. So many people have been out of work for at least a year. For that reason, your resume may not come off to HR as being unusual.

That said, consider preparing a functional resume. Your goal is to sell your knowledge, skills and abilities to an employer, and not necessarily your employment record. A functional resume places KSAs high, so HR sees them first, and employment record lower.

As far as time out of work goes, you don't necessarily have to list the actual chronological years you worked for an employer on a resume. You can list total years. E.g., instead of "2 0 0 0 - 2 0 0 8" you can list "Eight years." That way your time out of work is less obvious.

Try googling "functional resume" for sample forms and more advice about using this format.

IMO you should list volunteer work, especially if you collected transferable work skills and particularly if you received recognition and/or awards.

What is exactly transferrable skills? Plus I like the idea about the functional resume instead of chronological.
Thank You

42 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Transferable skills are skills one learns in a job, vocation or industry that could be used in a different job, vocation or industry.

Let's say you worked the counter at Mickey D's. In that job you handled customers' cash. That cash handling experience would be a tranaferable skill to, e.g., being a bank teller.

Another example: you are a news reporter. In that job, among other things, you write - a lot. Your writing experience is a directly tranferable skill for, e.g., report writing, etc.

Those are examples of transferable skills.

How do you sell 'transferable' skills when most positions are thru 3rd party recruiters who will summarily reject you or trash your resume if it doesn't mean 110% of what their "client" is looking for??

Today a recruiter emailed me about a job. I emailed her back my Resume and she said it wouldn't work because my resume looked too much like "accounting" and not "business analysis' as she was seeking. She couldn't tell me why she contacted me if I wasn't a match other than say "you are in our database".

42 months ago

Sharon Perry in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: You are definitely not alone. I have been unemployed since March 2009. It seems there are just NO JOBS. I apply to at least 4 or 5 jobs a week and nothing. It is depressing.

There ARE jobs, you just have to meet certain criterion to get one in the 'New Economy' of today . They are:

1) Have a BA/BS degree but NO higher
2) Be currently employed
3) Have not gaps in employment longer than 3 months
4) Be attractive and under the age of 30 and act, talk & dress like someone on MTV or Reality TV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Goin Crazy in New Orleans, Louisiana

41 months ago

I think I am doomed! Grad school was the worst mistake of my life. I did not finish the program, and I definitely believes that sends red flags on my resume. Now I'm trying to get back into a grad program but who wants me now??? And because I was in grad school, my work history has a huge gap. It's filled with a bunch of work-study jobs and summer gigs. Ugh...all that hard work for nothing. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have skipped college and started building experience after high school. Because that's what seems to count more, experience over education. And being in the technical field means you have to stay current with technology. They want engineers who know CATIA, Java, Linux, etc. Stuff I wasn't taught in school. Each year they want the candidate to proficient in some new fancy computer program. Arghhhh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Van Nuys, California

41 months ago

Also the problem is that things are changing so fast, you learn one new program another comes up and what you know is extinct. I spoke to a temp agency before who wanted me to test for a program that I knew the company didn't use and told them so and I did not bother to sign up with them. Another temp agency called me regarding the same company and didn't want me to test for this program. I just decided it was all b.s.
Also a huge factor is pay. When I was laid off I took it personally but now I think it's numbers crunchers who don't even know you or what kind of worker you are. My co-workers were really upset when they laid me off because I was a good worker and they kept a girl who was annoying and a ding-bat but she was paid less. I'm also thinking the more education you have the more the company is thinking they will have to pay.

Goin Crazy in New Orleans, Louisiana

41 months ago

Janet in Van Nuys, California said: Also the problem is that things are changing so fast, you learn one new program another comes up and what you know is extinct.

That is what I was trying to say. These programs are not easy to learn and they take a lot of time. So by time you get advanced with it, it becomes extinct like you said. This is a joke. It doesn't seem worth the investment. In the past, they would tell you to throw all of what you learned in school out of the window because you'll only be applying 10% of it. They would say the companies train you. Things are so competitive that these companies don't want to waste resources training employees. I mean c'mon we're entry-level for a reason. When did entry-level become 5 years???

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.