Roll Call: Are you unemployed? If so how long? Are you underemployed? If so how long?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 83)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

findjob in North Carolina

17 months ago

This thread is designed to get an idea of how many of us are unemployed/underemployed. I will start first.

I have been underemployed for the past 7 years. I currently work with at-risk children. I have a bachelor's degree in social work. I am submitting resumes and apps. I got my 2nd rejection email today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

17 months ago

Hi, my name is jobseeker84 and I'm unemployed.

It started about 4 years ago when I got burnt out at a major company doing the job of about 5 employees in my department who could not have been bothered to try to make sure the clients packages, products, and paperwork were processed correctly and straight. I returned to school and had temp assignments on and off again since then. It's been a downward spiral ever since...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: I'm joking I hope you know.

Ok Joe!!! Well I did feel like a loser when I got my rejection email!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

17 months ago

findjob in North Carolina said: Ok Joe!!! Well I did feel like a loser when I got my rejection email!!

It's not easy for anyone. You will learn not to take it so hard. I do wish you the best.

2 years for me of unemployment. To be honest I could of had a job by now but they just stink these professional jobs. Makes me want to cry cry cry.

Also what makes it difficult is that I live in a rural part of NY.

My thinking has changed drastically in life since going thru this. I have great sympathy for people now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

I am about ready to blow out my brains though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

I've been unemployed since the end of January. (That's 5 months now. July will make for 6 months.) I left that job for another job that fell through not long after I took it.

I'd really like a full-time job, but I know that's not very realistic unless I can get into a hospital system, as most healthcare practitioners hire part-time office staff nowadays. My last 2 jobs, ProCare Dental and Dr. Barr, were both part-time. ProCare worked me 27 hours a week and Dr. Barr worked me 24 hours a week. Pay wasn't bad with these employers, $11 and $12 respectively, just wish I could've worked more full-time hours, like 30 or more hours a week, if not full-time out right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

17 months ago

Since December 30th 2008. I am really no longer looking/expecting to get a job. This is the only site i use 1ce or 2ce a week, every so often i panic and think I am missing out THERE HAS TO BE JOBS I CAN APPLY FOR so i go back to the other 3 sites i used to check weekly monster, careerbuilder and the countyjobs site but then I find this site pretty accurately reflects what's out there!

My search on indeed has keywords of secretary/assistant/coordinator/clerk/receptionist/administrative/office/entry level w/i a 15 mile radius from my zip which basically brings me jobs up to 20 miles from my home up to a 45 min. drive.

It seems to me the majority of companies around here do not advertise, how they hire I don't know maybe ONLY by WOM except for hard to fill positions that need specific skills. A few yrs ago I drove to this corp park and was astounded at how big it was and how many co. were there i'd never heard of. A security guy drives around so you can't walk around but i drove to the various p.l. and wrote down the names and looked up the websites, either they had no current openings in this location or only upper level jobs i'd not be remotely qualified for. In the 3 yrs. since i discovered this i havent seen any job ads from those co. and am sure SOMEONE had to resign, retire, died or was promoted.

The whole thing has really been unreal & surreal...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: It seems to me the majority of companies around here do not advertise, how they hire I don't know maybe ONLY by WOM except for hard to fill positions that need specific skills.

I'm in healthcare. There's thousands upon thousands of practitioner offices out there. Heck, some business parks are 100% medical. I tend to wonder from time to time just how all these people got their jobs. Granted, I know some practitioners have had office staff for 5+ years and a small percentage do retire from the same office and same practitioner or practitioners after 20, 25 or 30 years of dedicated service as their receptionist or biller. But even at that the majority tend to come and go so it befuddles me as to why don't see more job openings than I currently do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

17 months ago

07/10, I was lucky and had a 62K a year job designing kitchens and selling related appliances. I blew about $500/mo on a car I didn't need, just because I could. In short, money didn't mean a damn thing to me. But at least I was smart enough to put in the max amount into their 401K (now my ONLY savings).

2/2010, I got laid off/fired. I figured hey no problem, I'm really talented and personable, I can replace this in a month tops.
I even got unemployment...I made more there per week than a lot of retail folks make to actually show up to the circus.

Almost the full 99 weeks and a clear 1000+ applications later, I was broke, sold my car long ago, had to pick up roommates, etc.

I worked at Sears for the Christmas holiday season for 2011, for UNDER minimum wage. My sense of humor is really the only reason why I didn't jump into Mystic River.

Then I worked for Nestle part time, no insurance, for $12/hr. That job was cake, but it had no upward mobility and was kind of a joke, quite frankly. My job was to sell candy to (sorry) middle eastern convenience store owning crankypants who didn't want to buy anything that wasn't free. So most of the time, I'd click the "Customer not interested" box, and move on with my day. Some of the places this job sent me to were years ago closed, abandoned, or some guy with 3 shelves and a lotto machine, starting awake when I opened the door.

Finally got a good job September 2012, 18.50/hr. Lasted until January 2013, when they dropped me down to $12/hr. Now trying to get back to 18.50...I'll know on Friday.

During the last three years, I've amassed about $20K in debt, drive an 11 year old Nissan that could die at any time, and haven't been on a real date in...years. And I'm the definition of a functional alcoholic. But hey, at least I have the common sense to not let it affect my barely-paying-me job. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Oh, and my Netflix cue is the definition of a person who is addicted to escapism. If I was going to a therapist, I could print it out and show it to them, and they'd say, "yes excellent, let's start here." ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

I used to call House, Lost, and Battlestar Galactica "my therapy," because I'd go from watching TV to crying my eyes out at the drop of a hat. Someone has some issues, hmm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Phoenix, Arizona

17 months ago

I lost my job three weeks ago. I'm kinda glad I don't work with the same wretched people, but I do need income. I am searching...

John in Catonsville, Maryland

17 months ago

Five long years now out of work. Used to be in land surveying, have every desire to not go back to that now. Occasional pocket money from selling "stuff" on ebay.

Keep a casual eye on some job listings, haven't seen anything to apply to for months at a time. Like endoftheworld, don't expect to be employed again. I am sure there are tons of companies within a 15 mile radius I've never heard of, have a hard time driving around with the cost of gas these days.

My therapy has been volunteering.

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Five long years now out of work. Used to be in land surveying, have every desire to not go back to that now. Occasional pocket money from selling "stuff" on ebay.

Keep a casual eye on some job listings, haven't seen anything to apply to for months at a time. Like endoftheworld, don't expect to be employed again. I am sure there are tons of companies within a 15 mile radius I've never heard of, have a hard time driving around with the cost of gas these days.

My therapy has been volunteering.

John, Have you thought about becoming an inspector?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

That has actually crossed my mind. My primary malfunction would be the heat.... I can't deal with the MD summers. I used to work outside when I moved to MD, only to find myself ending each week suffering from heat exhaustion.

17 months ago

You could work early mornings and evenings and have a little siesta in the afternoon. I know a guy who was doing well selling heavy farm equipment. He got laid off and became a home inspector; little by little he's built up a decent business for himself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Oh, a home inspector, I thought you meant construction inspector, my apologies. Home inspection hasn't crossed my radar recently, I can look into that when I get home this afternoon.

Completely Broke and Broken in Lakewood, Ohio

17 months ago

Unemployed since February, 2012. Have worked part-time at a church since May, 2012- nets about $400 a month. Then there's unemployment insurance for a couple more weeks. Unfortunately, the church gig will be up soon. Won't be living in a van down by the river, because

a)Probably won't even have a car in a couple months.
b)My brother lets me stay at his place.

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Oh, a home inspector, I thought you meant construction inspector, my apologies. Home inspection hasn't crossed my radar recently, I can look into that when I get home this afternoon.

both sound worth looking into.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Not unemployed, which makes me feel guilty for whining about my situation. But I am so miserable.

Hang in there everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: That has actually crossed my mind. My primary malfunction would be the heat.... I can't deal with the MD summers. I used to work outside when I moved to MD, only to find myself ending each week suffering from heat exhaustion.

We have a few former CEOs, VPs and Directors of this and that, now working for $8.00 an hour - times being what they are. Once in awhile, they start off with this "You know what's wrong with this country" whine.

When they do that, I remind them that they started this mess and then I send them outside for an hour. An hour outside in the Texas heat makes them as docile as lambs. Turns them into human tea bags too. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

job hunter in Brooklyn, New York

17 months ago

Unemployed since June 2009.I went back to school for another degree because I didn't want to feel like a failure. Now, I'm still fighting for a decent job. I just went to an interview today for a parttime tutoring position. I hope everything will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in South Glastonbury, Connecticut

17 months ago

Wow there are only like 15+ people in the ENTIRE US who are either unemployed or underemployed. I thought this thread would get alot more hits.
I think I ought to get some kind of prize or something, I believe it's called a "booby prize".

The good news is I finally found out my SNAP and Medicaid were renewed for another yr. and my rental assistance has been as well.
This is TOO easy. I really think i am on some blacklist for "do not hire" nobody at DSS or HA has questioned my lack of working at all like they don't expect me to?

The State is getting rid of case workers for DSS, no wonder my social worker has not returned my 4 phone calls and 1 faxed letter inquiring about my status, I was informed this is all going to be online, self service, they will likely close the DSS office in my city then as well, it was in a huge building must've been at least 50 EE's. DOL office closed a few years ago as well, they only have 6 in the entire state now. I wonder where all those displaced State workers go besides the one's taking the retire at 50 package deal?

There have been so many people who post here for weeks/months whining about being unemployed for "so long" and then get another job after applying to like a quarter of the # of jobs I have and having gone to far less interviews. it's always a bit odd like having a dream you're in a race and everyone is passing you by or actually this would be as in real life too...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

17 months ago

findjob in North Carolina said: This thread is designed to get an idea of how many of us are unemployed/underemployed. I will start first.

I have been underemployed for the past 7 years. I currently work with at-risk children . I have a bachelor's degree in social work. I am submitting resumes and apps. I got my 2nd rejection email today.

I have been unemployed/underemployed since 2007. I have a similar degree. There are not enough jobs out there.

I think that many people are embarrassed to comment about their unemployment on an open forum. We should not be ashamed because we cannot find a job. Our culture puts expectations on everyone to be employed and shuns the unemployed. These are the times we live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

I agree with the one poster who stated that there should be more replies to this thread. And many people may be embarrassed to admit being unemployed/underemployed. As for me, I consider these forums somewhat like therapy. I am not alone in my job search. I am not the only one receiving rejection emails. It makes me feel less alone knowing others are struggling to find jobs.

I also come to the forums to find hope. I get joy when others find jobs although it may not be the job he or she wants. I get excited when others announce they have job interviews. So in all of this, I try to stay encouraged and I believe one day some employer will give me a chance to be the best social worker I can be.

endoftheworld in South Glastonbury, Connecticut

17 months ago

^I actually find reading about others successes terribly depressing, I prefer to read about others hardships and failures. Someone else's success even if a total stranger is just like rubbing a wound with salt, ouch - mentally painful. I am always happy to hear of someone's tradgedy, definitely more than success as this doesn't bring me any hope or comfort since most people's situation is NOT remotely like my own by a long shot and does me no good only enhances the feeling I am not even IN the race.

Since posting is anonymous I dunno why anyone would feel embarrassed to report un or underemployment, I thought The Great Recession did away with the "taboo" of not being as successful as society expects one to be.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

17 months ago

endoftheworld in South Glastonbury, Connecticut said: ^I actually find reading about others successes terribly depressing, I prefer to read about others hardships and failures. Someone else's success even if a total stranger is just like rubbing a wound with salt, ouch - mentally painful. I am always happy to hear of someone's tradgedy, definitely more than success as this doesn't bring me any hope or comfort since most people's situation is NOT remotely like my own by a long shot and does me no good only enhances the feeling I am not even IN the race.

Since posting is anonymous I dunno why anyone would feel embarrassed to report un or underemployment, I thought The Great Recession did away with the "taboo" of not being as successful as society expects one to be.

im with you!!!! if i hear someone tell me that its going to get better or that they are praying for me i will seriously lose it. they dont get it. why come here and brag???? yes even here you hear it.

17 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: im with you!!!! if i hear someone tell me that its going to get better or that they are praying for me i will seriously lose it. they dont get it. why come here and brag???? yes even here you hear it.

Will you also lose it if I say the B word? You know what I mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Will you also lose it if I say the B word? You know what I mean.

who????miss buttt in every bodys business???? noooooooo. i will not lose it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

17 months ago

Remain positive and know you will find a job.
Its not like you are living in an armpit like Haiti with no food, water or electricity.... remaining in that life till you die.

And yes....
I'm praying for all of you for your luck to change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

and look who the wind blew in....

Honestly, I don't mind folks praying for me at all, I need all the help I can get. I have a lot of pride so a lot of people I know personally, don't know the situation I'm in right now, except for my immediate family.

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

I haven't posted to this thread because it's long and complicated and I would rather look forward than think back.

Penny in Espanola, New Mexico

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: It's not easy for anyone. You will learn not to take it so hard. I do wish you the best.

2 years for me of unemployment. To be honest I could of had a job by now but they just stink these professional jobs. Makes me want to cry cry cry.

Also what makes it difficult is that I live in a rural part of NY.

My thinking has changed drastically in life since going thru this. I have great sympathy for people now.

Poughkeepsie is commuting distance to New York City - last time I checked the Metro North went there? It's not like it's Watertown or Jamestown or Elmira or Plattsburgh.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

17 months ago

Unemployed since April 2011, laid off. What really sucks, I was awarded the First Rate Employee Award in February 2011, there's about 3000+ employees. March I was told that I would be laid off at the end of the month due to the budget...so much for being a stellar employee, what a joke...now I'm here. Can't find anything, full time, part time, temp. So I'm thinking of going a different route...We'll see! =}

Penny in Espanola, New Mexico

17 months ago

endoftheworld in South Glastonbury, Connecticut said: Wow there are only like 15+ people in the ENTIRE US who are either unemployed or underemployed. I thought this thread would get alot more hits.
I think I ought to get some kind of prize or something, I believe it's called a "booby prize".

The good news is I finally found out my SNAP and Medicaid were renewed for another yr. and my rental assistance has been as well.
This is TOO easy. I really think i am on some blacklist for "do not hire" nobody at DSS or HA has questioned my lack of working at all like they don't expect me to?

The State is getting rid of case workers for DSS, no wonder my social worker has not returned my 4 phone calls and 1 faxed letter inquiring about my status, I was informed this is all going to be online, self service, they will likely close the DSS office in my city then as well, it was in a huge building must've been at least 50 EE's. DOL office closed a few years ago as well, they only have 6 in the entire state now. I wonder where all those displaced State workers go besides the one's taking the retire at 50 package deal?

There have been so many people who post here for weeks/months whining about being unemployed for "so long" and then get another job after applying to like a quarter of the # of jobs I have and having gone to far less interviews. it's always a bit odd like having a dream you're in a race and everyone is passing you by or actually this would be as in real life too...

A lot of unemployed people are not computer literate or they are not on this particular forum. Plus it's humiliating for the highly educated to admit to being unemployable in spite of decent to "good" college degrees. You're in Connecticut - how many unemployed Yalies would you expect to answer this question on a public forum? And yet there are more than 15, trust me. Also, not just the "fluff" majors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I was awarded the First Rate Employee Award in February 2011, there's about 3000+ employees. March I was told that I would be laid off at the end of the month due to the budget...so much for being a stellar employee, what a joke..

Speechless, again.

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Unemployed since April 2011, laid off. What really sucks, I was awarded the First Rate Employee Award in February 2011, there's about 3000+ employees. March I was told that I would be laid off at the end of the month due to the budget...so much for being a stellar employee, what a joke...now I'm here. Can't find anything, full time, part time, temp. So I'm thinking of going a different route...We'll see! =}

A few years back a teacher in Sacramento was laid off. The teaching profession goes by senority.

BTW, she was Teacher of the Year a year earlier.

17 months ago

Penny in Espanola, New Mexico said: Poughkeepsie is commuting distance to New York City - last time I checked the Metro North went there? It's not like it's Watertown or Jamestown or Elmira or Plattsburgh.

I don't live in Poughkeeps.

I live in Sullivan County NY. No train whatsoever in Sullivan.

17 months ago

Penny in, NM said: A lot of unemployed people are not computer literate or they are not on this particular forum. Plus it's humiliating for the highly educated to admit to being unemployable in spite of decent to "good" college degrees- how many unemployed Yalies would you expect to answer this question on a public forum?

Actually I would not expect ANY "Yalies" to be on a site such as this or in general wasting their time on forums other than for entertainment purposes. I really cannot picture a Yale grad asking on of those "roll eyes" quote unquote - what am I going to do with my life? questions on a public forum which seems rather plebian tho am not sure how the Internet/Facebook Generation views such things. I personally find these forums one of the more bizarre aspects of modern life.

While I've not read about/know any Ivy League grads, I don't think they are working at Walmart or the Dollar Store as cashiers and stock clerks or just as bad/worse? unemployed for months and months. People don't go to those kinds of schools for nothing and I believe those who graduate are above average in many ways besides intelligence, for instance, ambition and connections as well, they are not the type to move back home w/o a plan.

Sposedly the oft quoted UE rate for those with Bachelors degrees in general is like 4-5%? I never knew whether that rate was for recent grads or ALL people with degrees. I know around here every Spring you see alot of "recent college grad preferred" in job ads. I think for those who did internships the likelyhood they will get a paying job from it is quite good esp. if they made contacts while there and gave a good impression.

I doubt anyone age 18-64 today is computer illiterate, not to the pt. where they don't know how to surf the i-net and send e-mail. I don't know much about computers and am not proficient in any software but even my 82 y.o. mother has an e-mail account and knows how to look up stuff.

17 months ago

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: Actually I would not expect ANY "Yalies" to be on a site such as this or in general wasting their time on forums other than for entertainment purposes. I really cannot picture a Yale grad asking on of those "roll eyes" quote unquote - what am I going to do with my life? questions on a public forum which seems rather plebian tho am not sure how the Internet/Facebook Generation views such things. I personally find these forums one of the more bizarre aspects of modern life.

While I've not read about/know any Ivy League grads, I don't think they are working at Walmart or the Dollar Store as cashiers and stock clerks or just as bad/worse? unemployed for months and months. People don't go to those kinds of schools for nothing and I believe those who graduate are above average in many ways besides intelligence, for instance, ambition and connections as well, they are not the type to move back home w/o a plan.

Sposedly the oft quoted UE rate for those with Bachelors degrees in general is like 4-5%? I never knew whether that rate was for recent grads or ALL people with degrees. I know around here every Spring you see alot of "recent college grad preferred" in job ads. I think for those who did internships the likelyhood they will get a paying job from it is quite good esp. if they made contacts while there and gave a good impression.

I doubt anyone age 18-64 today is computer illiterate, not to the pt. where they don't know how to surf the i-net and send e-mail. I don't know much about computers and am not proficient in any software but even my 82 y.o. mother has an e-mail account and knows how to look up stuff.

I don't know if you're being serious or if I should read this as if your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek...

17 months ago

endoftheworld in South Glastonbury, Connecticut said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The last sentence is pretty much the story of my life.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

17 months ago

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: Actually I would not expect ANY "Yalies" to be on a site such as this or in general wasting their time on forums other than for entertainment purposes. I really cannot picture a Yale grad asking on of those "roll eyes" quote unquote - what am I going to do with my life? questions on a public forum which seems rather plebian tho am not sure how the Internet/Facebook Generation views such things. I personally find these forums one of the more bizarre aspects of modern life.

You'd be surprised at how many Yalie types are out there struggling and unemployed. I have read the stories.

17 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I don't know if you're being serious or if I should read this as if your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek...

nope was being serious, i dunno what part anyone would think be a joke or sarcasm.

17 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You'd be surprised at how many Yalie types are out there struggling and unemployed. I have read the stories.

I doubt the situation is that bad for the majority of them. More people might be struggling to gain/keep employment build a career now than in 2005 but in general I don't believe Ivy League graduates are suffering as much as common folk. If they are expecting a 3 figure salary upon graduation and are upset alls they can get are $75K jobs that's another story. I'd not say someone who graduates from Yale is helpless and incompetent and unable to figure out how to get a job. I live in a college town as well, the paper hasn't done any negative articles on how our young people have to work 3 part time jobs at the mall with an accounting degree, these people are actually my competetion tho I graduated from the same school!

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

17 months ago

Googy "Unemployed Yale graduates" and learn something. Googy Night.

17 months ago

^ nothing really new, the online results are mixed. I try to ignore personal blogs/forums which tend to be whiney and negative, people generally don't have a blog when things are going well, it's mainly to complain and find other likeminded people to submit similiar stories which would make it seem EVERYTHING is horrible.

Found interesting forum on Top Law Schools website about Yale Law School Grads. UE rate in 2010: 4 out of 200 something were still looking rate was 1.9%, & 3 were unemployed but not looking (traveling or supported by family). Average starting salary was $160K! I did not pay attn. when the survey was done, how long the 4 had been looking, it stated "still looking" not "not working" so they may of been working at another job to some capacity other than in law.

Also very interesting/detailed article from The Atlantic bout employment for college graduates in genera: www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/how-bad-is-the-job-market-for-college-grads-your-definitive-guide/274580/

One of the takeaways from the article was that even though there is a larger than "normal" % of underemployed college grads, this tends to be temporary, not like they are going to be baristas at Starbucks for the rest of their working lives, it's just harder to start a career than it was 20 yrs ago.
The starting salaries were higher than i'd expected. I made $13.49/hr in 1990 and thought i was rolling in dough, turns out it was below ave. according to this article and ave. starting salary now for entry level jobs is waay higher than i can expect, in fact i can expect to make about the same $13/hr. now.

Although this is not mentioned in this or other articles I think there is a huge difference between recent and not recent college grads employabilitywise. I feel my BBA is utterly useless but I do feel it helped me get my first job as a Payroll Clerk when I was hired with Zero experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: nope was being serious, i dunno what part anyone would think be a joke or sarcasm.

You're right. Maybe it was the irony I was reading in your post.

17 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: You're right. Maybe it was the irony I was reading in your post.

and your posts that followed it.

Riot in Massachusetts

17 months ago

End, you were actually way over the average. The ~$18.00 the article gives for 1990 are in 2011 dollars. $13.50 in 1990 dollars inflated to 2011 dollars, using an average of 3% inflation is roughly $26.60. I know how you feel about the future, but I, for one, am still hoping you get back there!

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: End, you were actually way over the average. The ~$18.00 the article gives for 1990 are in 2011 dollars. $13.50 in 1990 dollars inflated to 2011 dollars, using an average of 3% inflation is roughly $26.60. I know how you feel about the future, but I, for one, am still hoping you get back there!

Wow...many of us were doing well in the late 1980's and early 1990's when you look at the rate of inflation. I just shake my head when I see ads that want all sorts of experience for $8.00 an hour. I wonder what that would have been in 1990?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.