Should I go with a staffing service/temp agency or keep looking on my own?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

jen78fl in Hollywood, Florida

57 months ago

Hi all. Im new here.. I have been looking for a clerical/receptionist/administrative job for a little while now .. but I havent heard back from anyone yet.. I am considering going to a staffing or placement agency but I am not sure if its the best thing to do or not. The only thing I worry about is them putting me in a job that doesnt pay enough.. With putting my daughter in prek and my son in an afterschool program, I really need a job that pays at least $12 an hour..I do have a few years of experience and some college so Im hoping that will help... Can you specify the pay that you would like when you go to placement companies or are they just going to put you in whatever type of jobs that they want? Can you also tell them you only want permanent positions? Also, I am in South Florida and I am wondering what some of the better staffing companies are around here...I have heard really bad things about some of them... Anyway I really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Be very upfront and honest with them, Jen. When you go to a staffing agency, let them know clearly what type of salary you're looking for, what your skills are, what kind of jobs you want, the locations where you want to work at, and if you want direct hire, temp-to-hire, or long-term temp.

You can also go directly to the companies as well. As far as staffing agencies in your area, you have to judge for yourself which ones you want to work eith.

Good luck to you.

57 months ago

Jen: I was through South Florida back in 1998, but I don't know the area that well. Ask people who live in the area what the best staffing agencies are.

Jennifer in Hollywood, Florida

57 months ago

thanks nanlisa.. I appreciate your help...

57 months ago

No problem Jennifer. Good luck in your job search. Keep us posted as to what's going on.

mob58 in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

Jennifer, I think you should do both. Some employment agencies just never call or never have the time of day for you if you call. I hate to say it, but it seems if you are not "their type," they don't get back to you. I don't live in So. Florida, so I can't give you specifics, but if you look up HUB businesses (Historically Underutilized Businesses) for your area you may find some local agencies. I found one that is based here and they seem to take a particular interest in me. It is woman-owned (thus, HUB) and she lives locally.

I would appreciate it if anyone can answer this question for me: I have decided to go to agencies with an eye towards getting a permanant job. I believe I am going to be sent on an interview next week. I have some misgivings about this placement and am wondering: if I accept and something better suited comes along later, do I owe the agency anything? (I know employers pay.) I seem to recall that if you leave a position in less than 90 days the agency can come after you. Has anyone ever heard of that?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.