Sick of people acting as if it is so easy to get jobs these days

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 91)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

equality101 in Georgia

36 months ago

All you ever hear is "Get a job" as if it is that simple. Mind you the very ones that tell you to just get a job never give any job leads. All they do is ramble on with the rest of the "clueless" and act as if jobs are so simple to get. There is more jumping through the hoops these days than a basketball player can dunk. Or you will hear people tell you to start your own business as if it is free to start. If these folks want to help the unemployed then by all means tell them something they have not already heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

36 months ago

equality101 in Georgia said: All you ever hear is "Get a job" as if it is that simple. Mind you the very ones that tell you to just get a job never give any job leads. All they do is ramble on with the rest of the "clueless" and act as if jobs are so simple to get. There is more jumping through the hoops these days than a basketball player can dunk. Or you will hear people tell you to start your own business as if it is free to start. If these folks want to help the unemployed then by all means tell them something they have not already heard.

It's a form of denial. If you pretend that the people who don't have jobs are lazy, then you can convince yourself that you will never lose your job. Blame-the-victim attitudes almost always stem from denial.

What really drives me nuts are the claims that people on unemployment are getting a paid vacation. Between looking for a job and taking classes, I'm working harder than 99 percent of the people who have jobs. My TV has not been turned on in months, because I don't have free time for watching TV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yep in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

36 months ago

I always tell myself that people who say "take a job, any job" don't really understand how hard it is. I dont like advice from people who are employed because they all say the same things. "Network, Take Classes, be positive, volunteer, intern." The problem is so many people are convinced that the unemployed are lazy shiftless couch potatoes that they won't give us a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Anytime someone tells me to "just take any job," I tell them that first of all I have, and it doesn't pay my bills (32 hrs a week as a merchandiser). Second of all, my 900+ count list of rejections includes rejections from Home Depot, Lowes, Whole Foods, Best Buy, not to mention every college and university in the area at least 5 times each (Harvard now rejects me out of hand as soon as I apply for something, even if it's janitor).

It's not like I'm applying for jobs that I'm not qualified for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano, Texas

36 months ago

When I got laid off and my unemployment checks ran out I got 2 part-time crap jobs just to avoid a big unemployment gap and not touch my retirement 401K. I was working 50 hours per week between AutoZone and a hospital gift shop.

Was I happy working for peanuts? Heck no but it sure beat staying at home earning $0

Unfortunately some people allow their pride from making 1/3 the income they were making before the lay off. A crap job is your first step in getting a full-time job with benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

36 months ago

Beth in Plano, Texas said: When I got laid off and my unemployment checks ran out I got 2 part-time crap jobs just to avoid a big unemployment gap and not touch my retirement 401K. I was working 50 hours per week between AutoZone and a hospital gift shop.

Was I happy working for peanuts? Heck no but it sure beat staying at home earning $0

Unfortunately some people allow their pride from making 1/3 the income they were making before the lay off. A crap job is your first step in getting a full-time job with benefits.

Most employers won't hire someone who used to make several times more money. They are afraid that those people might quit in a few weeks for a higher paying job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TK in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

Some people in this world are filthy rich and will never have to cut back on anything. They will buy the best and think nothing of wearing a brand new pair of socks each day instead of washing them. The rich will get richer and the poor with get poorer. We have a house for sale in the area, and I saw people looking at it today. One lady that went in, is about to become a mother, so that family has money for a new baby as well as a house. Tells me that the guy must a good job to be house hunting, when soon it will be down to one paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

36 months ago

yeh, it's annoying when people tell you to "just get a job". also annoying when people assume you are living off unemployment, that it's some permenent payment and that you're not motivated to get a low paying job because you're living high off the hog on UE, when in fact my weekly check was something like $249. and ended in Nov. 2010.
My living situation is waay more intolerable than the work stuff, I don't really have any hope of getting any job after more than 3 yrs. of being jobless so I don't spend much time/effort on it anymore.
At least if I'm homeless I can go live in the woods where it's quiet! Now my next door neighbors got a loud sqeaky ball-toy for their dog who is out in "our" shared yard area, he chews on it ENDLESSLY and the noise is driving me nuts with it's' constant high pitched squeak, squeak, squeak sounds like a baby squawking.
I've still not worked up the nerve to talk to the upstairs people about them waking me up at 6 daily so been sleeping like 4-5 hr. a night and feel like a total quivering zombie. I doubt i could even hold down the most trivial of jobs my nerves are so shot and not sure what kind of job am even capable of doing at this pt. so it sure not a matter of "just get a job"!
That denial theory that has been mentioned sounds plausible, put the other person down so that UE can't possibly be something that would ever happen to you, only lowlife scum can't get jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in Henderson, Nevada

36 months ago

2 years with no job is killing me. Right now I would work an type of job just for some income.

What are you folks gonna do when all your money is gone and you nobody will help you???

I feel like I am on the Titanic and I have no hope on getting aboard a life raft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

equality101 in Georgia

36 months ago

People also throw out the comment asking "Well what will the unemployed do when they run out of benefits?" Well since there are not being enough jobs being created, what do these people propose? Millions of folks are unemployed through no fault of their own. Where are the jobs? Can't work if no jobs are created. And by jobs I mean enough for most people to have one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: It is only a question of time before people take it to the streets.

And that is why, a once decomissioned army base, near me is suddenly alive with activity. The threat of a possible Zombie Apocalypse has not gone unnoticed by those in Washington.

Sitting in the park all day wasn't what brought down the Czar's Winter Palace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

the thing is, most of us are too fat to take anything to the streets. We're tubs of buluga with too much McDonalds in us, not athletic Greeks who can throw stones a long ways. Our masters thought of everything! Servants to stuffed full of burgers and fries can't run very far, very fast, or for very long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Blu-T: hmm, they are building an army training center in my city, some vast monstrosity, I've been trying to ignore news of it for months but they had the official groundbreaking this spring...I did think it odd/uneccessary they are doing this now, like ah, training for What?
Yeh that "occupy" movement was pretty lame, i dunno if it still going on, it hasn't been in the media that i've seen so I assume it's done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I think I'm going to start voting "no" to all my posts, since someone seems to get a real charge out of it, and I could use a charge in my life. =D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: the thing is, most of us are too fat to take anything to the streets. We're tubs of buluga with too much McDonalds in us, not athletic Greeks who can throw stones a long ways. Our masters thought of everything! Servants to stuffed full of burgers and fries can't run very far, very fast, or for very long.

Nick - 'I' voted NO to that one, I am NOT a fat slub and found your comment offensive in that anyone might assume that most the l/t UE are so because they are fat and ugly so nobody wants to hire them and that is most definitely not the case with me. I've been exercising daily since i was like 10 and watching what I eat, except when i was taking anti-depressents weight was never a problem, in fact I got MORE depressed with the weight gain so I discontinued the pills which did nothing to begin with. fyi- I've given you some Yes's too but this did annoy me, sorry! Don't know about the other ones but wasn't it you who said these votes don't matter when I got upset over my 5?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

me in Fraser, Michigan

36 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I think I'm going to start voting "no" to all my posts, since someone seems to get a real charge out of it, and I could use a charge in my life. =D

I voted yes to the hamburger comment it was funny lolol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

^^ well just don't get personally offended by a general comment on an internet board like I'm talking directly at you, which I wasn't. =)

It's a proven fact that 1/3 of everybody in this nation is considered obese, with another at least 1/3 not exactly fit and trim. I never said it was just "the unemployed" that are this way, if anything we should be thin because we can't afford to eat! People with jobs should be just as angry about our national situation as people without jobs. I know I'm technically employed, and I'm pretty upset. But on average for everybody, we couldn't even riot because after a few minutes, we'd be gasping for air for being out of shape.

I'm also one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks that the obesity of America is something that our leadership is consciously aware of, and despite Mrs. Obama's show of trying to get kids to eat healthy, the fattening of America is a multi-billion dollar movement that is going away no time soon. Almost everything on the grocery shelf has corn syrup in it, the rest has sugar, and do we really need 30 different fast-food joints that all sell the same thing? There's a reason why we're the only country with this problem...and a reason why you go to almost any other country in the world, and don't see ONE obese person on the streets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

And I don't get upset over such things as indeed forums AT ALL, I just wish that the people who vote my comment down would say why so it could lead to conversation, is all. Clicking a button is kinda pointless but if I hear a differing viewpoint I may change mine that's how you learn from others. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

36 months ago

I always vote YOUR stuff down Nick ! haha...

There is no way I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
I'm packing on weight like crazy because I quit smoking and starting popping happy pills six months ago.
Life sucks right now. But, I couldn't care less.

My family thinks I'm nuts because I'm talking to the dog all the time and singing show tunes around the house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

36 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: ^ =)

I never said it was just "the unemployed" that are this way, if anything we should be thin because we can't afford to eat!

I do pick up some food from the local food bank since I need all the help I can get (which would still hold true if I had an underpaying or part time job).

A few weeks ago, I took some extra pop tarts (courtesy of the food bank) into one of the museums I volunteer at. I gave one pack to the director who promptly asked where I got them. "from the food bank" I said..... the director promptly started laughing and said "no wonder poor people are so fat!" There is a fair amount of truth to that as the food banks around here anyway, do not provide the healthiest of food, they provide the cheapest they can buy......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in Henderson, Nevada

36 months ago

endoftheworld, hotdiggity

Have you tried fish oil for your depression?
Google it. Fish oil does helps when meds don't.

What is your spouse saying about your depression?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NorthOfTheD in Troy, Michigan

36 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: And I don't get upset over such things as indeed forums AT ALL, I just wish that the people who vote my comment down would say why so it could lead to conversation, is all. Clicking a button is kinda pointless but if I hear a differing viewpoint I may change mine that's how you learn from others. =)

Nick I voted you up.. because I believe in "balance." ;)

You're now 1 in 1!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

The only people I've seen who act as if it's easy to get a job are the people doing the interviews.

Nobody else I know or on the periphery of who I know is changing jobs. Some of them don't have jobs. Some are barely hanging on with what they have. I'd say at least half of the people in my circle either don't have jobs, want a new job or are afraid of losing their current job.

In my experience, it has never been easy to get a job. I've just had the misfortune of being unemployed during a few big downturns in the economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Southington, Connecticut

36 months ago

Derrick in Henderson

yeh, i've tried EVERYTHING don't even remember what all, including over 30 different meds, several "off label". That is in the past now. I've been depressed my entire life due to my personality and have decided to just live with it. I went thru 15 therapists before calling it quits as I am the type to argue while someone is trying to convince me via cognitive behavior therapy that my thinking is more negative than it should be!
Lots of bright sun and cardiovascular exercise helps while outside but has no lasting effects. I do try to eat fish once a week, there are studies that people in the scandinavian countries who eat alot of fish tend to suffer less but it also could be due to a different lifestyle, I think it's harder to feel isolated living in a homogenous small society while here one can live in total anonymity and the neighbors couldn't care less since there is no sense of community or belonging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

36 months ago

endoftheworld in Southington, Connecticut said: Derrick in Henderson

yeh, i've tried EVERYTHING don't even remember what all, including over 30 different meds, several "off label". That is in the past now. I've been depressed my entire life due to my personality and have decided to just live with it. I went thru 15 therapists before calling it quits as I am the type to argue while someone is trying to convince me via cognitive behavior therapy that my thinking is more negative than it should be!
Lots of bright sun and cardiovascular exercise helps while outside but has no lasting effects. I do try to eat fish once a week, there are studies that people in the scandinavian countries who eat alot of fish tend to suffer less but it also could be due to a different lifestyle, I think it's harder to feel isolated living in a homogenous small society while here one can live in total anonymity and the neighbors couldn't care less since there is no sense of community or belonging.

Turkey is a good source of 5-HTP, as are certain green vegetables.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

The interviewers should know better. They're the ones sorting through 100+ applications per opening. Even if Taleo trims that down to 10, they can't be so daft that they don't see the initial 100, even if they don't read them. A monkey can put two and two together, and realize that if it were so easy to get a job, 500+ people wouldn't be applying to every new McDonalds that opens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

my advice in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

you forget Nick that processed foods (chips, twinkies, hotpockets) and fast foods are generally cheaper than organic or healthy foods. most people who are poor cannot afford to shop at Whole Foods or to spend a ton of money on fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and wheat roducts. I try to buy healthy groceries such as wheat rather than white bread, yogurts and fruits for sweets, turkey or fish instead of red meats. It does get expensive though and when it's late and you are too tired after work to cook you opt out for a quick meal at Wendys rather than make a healthy meal. and also i think it has to do with portions and how often you eat, smaller but more frequent portions are better than fewer but larger meals. Stress over the job situation can lead people to turn to food for comfort as well and we need to turn to healthy ways such as exercise to release stress. With that being said it is much easier said than done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

36 months ago

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut said:
At least if I'm homeless I can go live in the woods where it's quiet! Now my next door neighbors got a loud sqeaky ball-toy for their dog who is out in "our" shared yard area, he chews on it ENDLESSLY and the noise is driving me nuts with it's' constant high pitched squeak, squeak, squeak sounds like a baby squawking.

Go sneak over there and remove the squeaker. That will show them. lol

I have annoying neighbors too. Kids cry constantly and do it for attention. They leave the windows all wide open so the whole neighborhood has to listen to a high pitched waaaaah waaaaaah waaaaaAAAAAHHHH!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: I have annoying neighbors too. Kids cry constantly and do it for attention. They leave the windows all wide open so the whole neighborhood has to listen to a high pitched waaaaah waaaaaah waaaaaAAAAAHHHH!!

I use to live next door to them. I wondered where they moved to.

Dogs, kids, radios, Ugh! I know what they mean when they say "Never, ever buy a condo". lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

my advice in Chicago, Illinois said: you forget Nick that processed foods (chips, twinkies, hotpockets) and fast foods are generally cheaper than organic or healthy foods. most people who are poor cannot afford to shop at Whole Foods or to spend a ton of money on fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and wheat roducts.

Not always cheaper. I just bought a whole pineapple today for $1.09 and same with strawberries. I went to a cheap no-name brand grocery store. Not much selection, but it helps us save on some things. Us poor folks have to save where we can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I use to live next door to them. I wondered where they moved to.

Dogs, kids, radios, Ugh! I know what they mean when they say "Never, ever buy a condo". lol!

Yep, there is an annoying dog too. No radio playing though unless you count the one that I use to drown them out with. I try to find the most annoying CD I own and play it loud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Back to "Just get a job already." A case manager nurse told me that if she could get a job at McDonald's she would. She thought it would be fun. Yeah, I'm sure she would be willing to give up her nurse salary for burger flipping. I'm thinking she doesn't remember real well that working in a restaurant isn't easy work either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Wallingford, Connecticut

36 months ago

designer B - yeh I thought of stealing the toy but can't approach the dog w/o it barking/growling and they don't leave the ball in the yard at night when they go in (they sit out on the patio for hrs). Actually before they got this one the woman had a handheld one SHE squeaked when playing with it, apparently she likes the noise so much she got him his own toy so she can listen to it for longer w/o giving herself a hand cramp.
You think you have it bad with neighbors kids try living UNDER a 3y.o and 2 month old in a building with 0 sound proofing. The 3y.o. i believe must be hyperactive am pretty sure his running laps and screaming is not normal tho he looks OK other than a slightly large head. When he was younger several times I thought of calling DSS because it sounded like he was being tortured to death and am nervous bout the new baby as she might be another hyper one, the parents stomp and run too- it would be funny if it was'nt so NOT. Needless to say I have not offered my services for babysitting, they could not pay me enough...

36 months ago

Give the dog some peanut butter which might make it hard to bark. LOL

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Yep, there is an annoying dog too. No radio playing though unless you count the one that I use to drown them out with. I try to find the most annoying CD I own and play it loud.

I gotcha! Get a CD of Tibetan monks chanting. It has to be the most annoying sound in the world.

By the way, I live next door to a crazy lady now. If a leaf falls of "my tree" she immediately runs out and sweeps it back into "my yard". Everytime, I am outside I see her peeking out the window at me like Gladys Kravis. The only good thing is that she is quiet. Plays religious tapes all day long but quietly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Bluetea, how about taking up the didgeridoo? That would be annoying. hahaha

John in Catonsville, Maryland

36 months ago

A few years ago, the news reported (for whatever that's worth) that a number of cities around the US were doing a lot of rehabbing and a number of people were moving back into cities after years of fleeing the congestion. Supposedly, people were looking to be able to cut transportation costs and be able to walk everywhere.

In Baltimore, other living expenses (from property taxes and water bills to car insurance should one have a car) would completely wipe out any transportation savings and then quite a bit more.

Then we should (but often don't) factor in the cost of so many people living in such close proximity. That simply doesn't work for me and some other people. Too much noise, more crime (kinda hard to have a lot of crime when there is one house every 5 miles), etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I just looked up rent prices in New Mexico. I could get a whole *nice* house (multiple bedroom, nice updated kitchen), for what I'm paying in rent in Boston for 100 year old house whose owner barely gives a crap about it. Of course, I'd be in New Mexico....but if I could also land a job there, I'd seriously consider it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Nick, I saw something you posted earlier about your rent price. Our house payment here is less than $900 and that includes the property tax. This is for a 16 year old house with 2 car garage and a decent yard. We originally paid $17,500 for our lot. I know it's got to be a lot more now. Back in those days we were able to pay cash for our lot. Now we just barely survive from week to week with the necessities. Not much of a savings to speak of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I have no savings either. I'm actually about $12K in the hole, 6 of which is my car that I need for the pt job I have. My chances of ever owning a home right now are zero. Something has to change on the job front, for any of this to change.

I'm giving this area another month, and then getting out of here whether I have a job in hand or not. I won't be here in the fall, under these conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

It's all about survival now. Can't even think about getting ahead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

36 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I'm giving this area another month, and then getting out of here whether I have a job in hand or not. I won't be here in the fall, under these conditions.

I'm of the same mindset Nick. I've worn out my welcome in this city and It's time to move on.
I just had a lengthy conversation over the weekend about opportunities out west in the oil fields.
Although the cost of living is higher, I can apparently consult for insane money.
So, I'm heading out west next month for a couple of weeks to check it out myself.
Yippee Ki Yey !

36 months ago

I just caught myself looking at apartments in New Mexico, for no reason. I can get a whole nice house there for what I'm paying for rent here, and I could own it. Now if I could actually find work there too, I'd actually consider it.

I just watched the movie "Goon" last night, it made small-town Canada seem damn appealing! Or maybe I just REALLY need to get away...=D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cool in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

I know I'm a little late with this comment.

For some jobs, if you have the experience and/or education it's fairly easy to get a job. That isn't the case with all jobs though. If it's anything remotely related to housing or construction you can forget it. In a recession employers are extremely picky even to the point of being discriminatory. When they're competing for every applicant they're willing to overlook the fact that they don't like the color of your tie.

Depending on what kind of industry you're in, taking a job that is far below your qualifications, even short term, can be detrimental to your future. And it can be very hard to shake the influence it has on the perception of employers, even if only subconsciously. Employers are people, after all, and all people have prejudices.

If you're already unemployed it's harder to get a job. Even if they don't say it, employers think that an employed person is better employee. That may be true in a strong economy but in an economy with 8+ percent unemployment they will be passing up a lot of good candidates. Some employers went as far as specifically stating they wouldn't even consider unemployed candidates. At least they're giving you some insight into what it would be like to work there. Not someone I want to work for, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea but maybe it might be good to not only research a company but go there around lunch time so that you can see what kind of people work there and maybe deduce something about the culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: It's all about survival now. Can't even think about getting ahead.

You said it. It's become so much about survival, I'm living incrementally. Thinking incrementally. Feeling incrementally. I can't project into the future - because my thinking now is that, if things get worse, I may make sure there is no future. Luckily, I just got an internship with the possibility to turn into more if I do well. But I've lost so much faith in my abilities, I am somewhat concerned. I hope my magic bullet antidepressants kick in sooner rather than later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: I hope my magic bullet antidepressants kick in sooner rather than later.

I got to try some antidepressants. I know I am depressed to a degree. I've never taken any drugs in my life not even to raise my own flag.

I always say I wish I could find something to take right before the interview so I'm happy, glad to be there, not nervous, energetic, and all the good personality traits employers want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

29 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: It's all about survival now. Can't even think about getting ahead.

That's the objective of most people in America today, do anything just to keep your head above water. That's my attitude for the next 20 years.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: That's the objective of most people in America today, do anything just to keep your head above water. That's my attitude for the next 20 years.

Your absolutely right. I don't say that often you know!
Every job stinks!

When I first became unemployed I thought here is my chance to get a great job.....they don't exist. Very sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: That's the objective of most people in America today, do anything just to keep your head above water. That's my attitude for the next 20 years.

I just read that the average shelf life of an employee today is 4.5 years. The last company that I worked for, didn't have a single employee that was there over ten years.

I wish that statistic applied to these career politicians. I really want to see term limits on all of them.

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I got to try some antidepressants. I know I am depressed to a degree. I've never taken any drugs in my life not even to raise my own flag.

I always say I wish I could find something to take right before the interview so I'm happy, glad to be there, not nervous, energetic, and all the good personality traits employers want.

Most people I know who suffer from depression wait too long to get help. (Yes, there are the people who aren't all that depressed who are willing to take anything and ALSO don't really wait to give the antidepressant time to work - those people bug me the worst).

But, once they work (if you really need them), they really can be a lifesaver. And myself, I really have a strong, strong ability to endure a lot of emotional pain before I seek help. It's usually way deep into the depression before I reach out.

Everyone has their own experience. But I do know people who need them and they are on them for years and years - and don't have to quit and they don't lose their effectiveness, as Bluetea said happens. Sure that happens but I also wonder how many people, like myself, hate the idea of being on them and claim that it's losing its effectiveness after they got out of their temporary depression.

I am not trying to turn this into a debate. I just think that people
have alot of misconceptions about them being a happy pill or panacea. That's not how it has ever worked for me. It's just been about getting through some horrific times in my life and I'm not weak for doing it - it's called survival. Especially when I've done everything else. I'm a meditator, eat well, exercise (this is a huge thing to do), etc. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.