The Silence of the Telephone and My Apparently Non-Transferable Skill Set

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

9 months ago

Before I found these forums, I was just dumbfounded by the fact that I would apply for 20 to 30 jobs per week, easily, and the phone didn't ring. Like I wasn't even looking for a job.

And still, the calls I do get are for jobs in my field, which is good, but my attempts at using my skill set in other areas has gotten me nowhere.

Wouldn't one think that a library and information science degree would qualify one to be a records manager?

HR people are clueless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

9 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Before I found these forums, I was just dumbfounded by the fact that I would apply for 20 to 30 jobs per week, easily, and the phone didn't ring. Like I wasn't even looking for a job.

And still, the calls I do get are for jobs in my field, which is good, but my attempts at using my skill set in other areas has gotten me nowhere.

Wouldn't one think that a library and information science degree would qualify one to be a records manager?

HR people are clueless!

I too had no idea that I was in great company when I started my job search. Had I not found these forums, I think I would have been in a deep hole emotionally. I still have bad days, but I no longer take my invisibility in the job world personal.

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Wouldn't one think that a library and information science degree would qualify one to be a records manager?

Just tell them it doesn't take a rocket scientists to manage records.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Just tell them it doesn't take a rocket scientists to manage records.

A rocket scientist would never land the job either. I think these days they want someone with that exact title on their resume. HR people these days are airheads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

9 months ago

Of course your skills are transferable. They are transferable to another job exactly like the one you just left.

9 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Of course your skills are transferable. They are transferable to another job exactly like the one you just left.

lol. True.

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Of course your skills are transferable. They are transferable to another job exactly like the one you just left.

Transferrable? We don't want someone whose skills are "transferrable". We want someone who has done this before.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.