So sick of applying for jobs and nver getting called back, if I were a minority I would have it made

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

BigDonnyD in Palm Harbor, Florida

52 months ago

great no one responds here either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

jayjay in New York, New York said: Hey Big Donny:
I dont know how your applying but if its through that usajobs website. I think the posts are bogus. I have been applying for federal jobs for over ten years through it and have never received a call. I get a nice email stating I am very qualified but not qualified enough for us to forward your application to the hiring agency. I personally think this website should be cancelled. The recruiters either arent qualified to make these choices. I have called and some of them cant even speak english properly. I feel for you. I apply for jobs I am highly qualified for some even over qualified I have even wrote exactly what they wanted and still im not qualified i dont know what else to say but I feel your frustration.

I don't know what area your expertise is in, but VA is a great federal place to work for. And you are actually providing a service, instead of just pushing around papers and wasting tax payer money.

If you find that you are often not quite qualified enough, make an appointment to speak to HR, they can sit down with you and let you know what you are missing, they will help you with your resume or your KSAs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona

51 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: Being a minority doesn't mean a things these days. Race has nothing to do with it. Every one of every single race is being left out in the cold these days.

It sure does when many jobs require one to be bilingual (and English is your first language).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Very discouraged in Phoenix, Arizona

51 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: Then focus on the ones that don't have that requirement. Everything is not about race.

A lot of it is. Are you in a minority group, per chance?

Look, I'm bilingual. I've spent 25 years on my Spanish. I am one of the lucky ones. Obviously, however, Spanish is not my native language and I grew up in the US. So I am at a disadvantage in that I didn't grow up in a Spanish speaking country, in which case most likely I'd be hispanic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Some is when it comes to languages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sicl of applying in Holliston, Massachusetts

51 months ago

I think Human Resource people just don't give a damn, they put applications in the shredder I think. If you know someone where you apply then maybe you can get hired. However I don't know anyone to the places I apply to, looking for a pca/cna hospital job. Plus I'm over fifty so I am sure that gets my application straight in the trash. I HATE online job hunting, it was better when you could walk in and sell yourself. I've applied to so many positions to no avail. I have eight plus years experience as a cna. Why the hell don't I get one lousy call in for interview ? I am so fed up, and I really hate how crap it is today with having to apply ONLY on line. May as well start getting interviewed by robots, IF YOU EVER GET A CALL TO HAVE ONE!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

pissed of applicant in Detroit, Michigan

51 months ago

BigDonnyD in Palm Harbor, Florida said: great no one responds here either.

lol, minorities have it no better (if not worse).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

osingleton3 in Jacksonville, Florida

51 months ago

Everybody is having it tough,I just graduated from college and have 5 years of cna/hha experience and can't get a darn callback for a interview in my field either,it has nothing to do with being a minority,cause i'm one myself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Very discouraged in Gilbert, Arizona

51 months ago

Well, I had a job interview today (this company found me on CareerBuilder) and the only reason I was interviewed is because I speak Spanish. Their requirements were a high school diploma and being fluent in Spanish. I confess, it hurts to know I spent years getting two degrees (one an MBA) and it all comes down to espanol. Nevertheless, I am grateful, I guess. I was the ONLY caucasian in the group to be interviewed (and since I'm over 50, I probably won't be hearing from them). Tell me race doesn't matter!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

BTW, to an above poster, I am not necessarily ANGRY about the bilingual requirements. I am actually quite fortunate I am bilingual. I knew 25 years ago it would give me an edge, but I sure didn't know it would determine my fate to a large degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

"lol, minorities have it no better (if not worse)."

Everyone in this group interview was a minority today, minus me. Hispanics often have the advantage of being raised in both languages in this country, and that is a definite advantage in the labor market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LadyOne in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

I AGREE.

I have a MBA and over 5 years employment history. And cannot find a job.

I am in a minority bracket. I speak fluent Spanish. My parents are immigrants. But, I cannot get hired as a bi-lingual only because I cannot pass their language test.
I don't know anyone who speaks native spanish that speaks proper spanish the way it is taught in American schools.
I stuggled in HS and College in spanish classes only because Spanish is taught by the words in the English language.

Spanish speakers calling on phones or in person aren't speaking like that.

And not to mention the extra forms to fill out if you've ever received public assistance. Which I haven't so thats an extra mark against me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Sorry you have not found work. That has to be frustrating. I know! From my perspective, however, I worry about what you say. I was taught Spanish in college and then lived in Spain so my Spanish is not Spanglish, as it were.

I had my interview last Wed in Spanish and the guy was surprised at my proper Spanish speaking, I guess. But what happens when I answer a call (yup, call center job) and I cannot understand the person on the phone as it's not the kind of Spanish I know?! The interviewer was impressed with my usage of the language, but so? Ideally, one should have access to both worlds in order to really make things work. Meh, I'll know tomorrow whether they are interested in me or not. After all the education I've had and work experience, I sure didn't think I'd end up in a call center only because I speak Spanish - and maybe I won't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

51 months ago

In my tenure as one of the long term unemployed, I have seen ads that say "women and minorities encouraged to apply". Given my race and location, I am in the minority, but not a RECOGNIZED minority. That sounds like preferential treatment to me.....

Finding work is hard for everybody these days, but when recognized minorities are encouraged to apply, that is preferential treatment which is sanctioned and endorsed by the federal government!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

cameron101 in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Very discouraged in Scottsdale, Arizona said: It sure does when many jobs require one to be bilingual (and English is your first language).

Gee, I'm shocked! if the only reason you want to be a minority is to get a job Phew! you got some serious issues, and perhaps it comes across while interviewing. It seems to me that Mr Establishment got to blame somebody, or someone even the lowly minorities! You ought to be a shame of yourself. Try looking in the mirror and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Practice interviewing and redo your resume. Times are bad I'm having trouble finding suitable employment too, however I havent given up and I'm not blaming people of different races either.

By the way Im a minority....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I never said I wanted to be a minority. I said I am not in a minority. When did you get your PhD in Dxing "serious issues?" Pfft. I happen to be over 50 and ageism is real, so don't you dare tell me I ought to be ashamed of myself, you who cannot even interpret what I write correctly. Maybe your "attitude" (hostile much?) is what is getting in the way of YOU finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Oh, and BTW, all of us are allowed to get down from time to time. This doesn't translate into "feeling sorry for oneself." It translates into being human in the worst job market since the Great Depression and worrying about finances, bills and the future in general. Sheesh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

"And ALL races are experiencing the grueling economic woes just as you are. EVERYONE is worrying about the bills and the future in general.

I find it awfully strange how many minorities I know have not found jobs. Many of them going on 1-2 years. I find it strange that when I went on several job interviews mostly ALL of the offices I went into did not have minority workers and it has been this way for many, many years. So really who is at a disadvantage?

People really need to get a reality check if they think minorities have it made."

You're in GA and I am in AZ. I assume you have heard of SB 1070? Aside from the retarded politicians here, there is a reason they came up with SB1070.

I rarely see anyone who works at a McDonalds who is not a minority. And just looking around the office yesterday I'd have to say at least half were minorities. And everyone in the interview but me was a minority. I think your experience in Ga is different from my experience in AZ.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kimmie09 in Saint Louis, Missouri

51 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: Being a minority doesn't mean a things these days. Race has nothing to do with it. Every one of every single race is being left out in the cold these days.

Right! Its hard for MINORITIES TOO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Yes, it's hard for everyone. However, in this state, one is at an advantage if one is a minority (read Hispanic) and raised fluently in both languages. I don't know why this concept is even a point of contention.

And ANYONE, ANYWHERE, who is under a certain age or over a certain age is going to have an easier time of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Sheesh. I am not "blaming" minorities. If I were to blame anyone, it would be the people of any race who couldn't see that someday it would be an advantage or even a requirement to be bilingual in this country and freaking learn a second language. After all, I did! I am not blaming minorities at all as I think, if anything, it's my age that is an issue and my instability in the job market. So I am taking responsibility for my shortcomings and pointing to these two factors in terms of what is causing me a problem.

I am tired of arguing a point that I am not even making. Enough already. Some people just want to be contentious here. Either read what I REALLY write and comment on that or don't bother to comment. I am out of this thread.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

looking2010 in Lenexa, Kansas

51 months ago

Ha! I'm an educated black woman, and I have had no luck. Race has nothing to do with it. Employers have long moved past having a quota, and now select employees based on their qualifications - which is how it should be. This economic crisis that we are in, knows no race. We're all in this together. The only color we all want to see is green. Best wishes to ALL that we make it through!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marci H in Woodbridge, Virginia

51 months ago

Absolutely, as a minority my thought is that it is that there are so many over quailified and people with degrees, graduates, or just years of experience. Looking for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marci H in Woodbridge, Virginia

51 months ago

Very discouraged in Phoenix, Arizona said: Sheesh. I am not "blaming" minorities. If I were to blame anyone, it would be the people of any race who couldn't see that someday it would be an advantage or even a requirement to be bilingual in this country and freaking learn a second language. After all, I did! I am not blaming minorities at all as I think, if anything, it's my age that is an issue and my instability in the job market. So I am taking responsibility for my shortcomings and pointing to these two factors in terms of what is causing me a problem.

I am tired of arguing a point that I am not even making. Enough already. Some people just want to be contentious here. Either read what I REALLY write and comment on that or don't bother to comment. I am out of this thread.

I think if you feel misunderstood then I is because you misspoke. I think that with age as my mother felt the same way when she was looking for a summer job because she works for the school system. She felt age was the reason she was not getting work and she is a minority with over 20 years of experience.

If you have a degree I suggest community or online colleges that are looking for faculty or online high schools (for homeschoolers). Try areas were your experience or maturity would be needed. Don't forget government jobs also. I have began to apply for those but it has been over a year for me and I am a middle age, articulate, intelligent person and minority. Temp agencies work and I did land something there just make sure it's what you want. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Hey guys,

Just wanted to take a step back and give a bit of feedback on the USAJobs comment that was posted a while back. Just a comment about federal job applications: It is all so ironic; you see, the "person" that is "shredding" all of your applications is actually just a computer. In reality, if you don't use certain keywords, or write your KSAs perfectly, your application will not be seen by a real pair of eyes. In other words, your application gets filtered through a computer system, and if that system doesn't pick up a set of key words, your application will not go to an HR manager at all; no one will ever know you applied. So I suggest either paying a KSA writing service or getting a friend who already holds a federal job to help you with your application...that is what I did. I don't know if you're still interested in this topic, but I hope it helps! It is all incredibly frustrating...and I know it may be a bit incorrect to assume that it is because I am white that I am currently unemployed...but we unemployed, yet qualified, upper middle class whites that payed a high price for a college education sometimes cannot help but believe that we would be employed if we were gay, crippled immigrants. It is easy to feel this way, however incorrect it may sound. Regardless, the world would be a better place if everyone was hired based on qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reggie_ in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

casey45 in Georgia said: I agree and well said.

Thanks Casey!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reggie_ in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Very discouraged in Phoenix, Arizona said: Oh, and BTW, all of us are allowed to get down from time to time. This doesn't translate into "feeling sorry for oneself." It translates into being human in the worst job market since the Great Depression and worrying about finances, bills and the future in general. Sheesh.

PHEW! Excuse me mister discourage, BUT HAVE YOU CONSIDERED Getting Some Counseling.
You seem like a nice person, but PHEW! you get too worked up! relax, chill, your a senior citizen now take it easy let the bigotry go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chartion in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

I think you're too busy looking for ways to justify your lack of job offers but not looking at the primary influence -- yourself. If you're referencing your lack of jbo offers to not being a minority, you might need to look a little harder and find out the real reason. You'd be surprised. We're all inclined to blame the "system" at times which is understandable, but very little people actually reevaluate themselves. YOU are the biggest indication of whether you get a job or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy Handyside in Southgate, Michigan

47 months ago

I'm beginning to think that most of the posted positions are positions the companies have no intention of filling; they just post the positions so they can then go to the government and say, "See? We created some jobs - now give us our tax break!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Depressed in Stamford in Stamford, Connecticut

47 months ago

Companies cannot get a tax break just by advertising fake jobs. They have to actually add them onto the payroll, so just posting an ad online means nothing. It costs them money but they can say that they are an equal opportunity employer because they also "compared" the pile of resumes with the internal candidate that they wanted to hire and just ran the ad for the sake of being "fair" for everyone. Then the people who are on extended benefits (tier 4) have to report that they were actively looking for work...they applied to the fake jobs posted. Waste of time there too if you ask me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jaygotti in Bakersfield, California

47 months ago

i am fluent 3 languages and still cant find a job . i have restaurant manager experience and chef experience but it was all hands on and growing into the buisness learning . Every career now asks for (CERTIFICATION) .I used to train my bosses that came out of college new # but people and employee relation skills they had no clue .Tunnel vision from front door to office no acknowledgment of any employees .I cant even get an interview call back, Back when i was 20 they were calling me left and right . I guess the coompanies now can get 2 college grads at $25000 a piece in stead of experienced and 1 at $50.000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

elease12 in Salt Lake City, Utah

30 months ago

Very discouraged in Gilbert, Arizona said: "lol, minorities have it no better (if not worse)."

Everyone in this group interview was a minority today, minus me. Hispanics often have the advantage of being raised in both languages in this country, and that is a definite advantage in the labor market.

I am a minority myself and I think that we definatly have it the hardest when finding the right job or career. I have all the education, qualities, interviewing skills it takes to get any office job, but as you see I cant find the right company to hire me. Ive studied and done research on these particular companies before my interview to ensure no problems. But guess what? I never get the position, and after so many interviews people start to get discouraged and start to think its a racial thing. Im not going to lie I walk into a lot of different offices in Utah and theres never any black people working or representing in there. I think I need a new start, maybe Dallas Texas because this Utah thing is not working for me.. any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

The biggest disadvantage is being old. Race can be overcome if you don't focus on it yourself but age gets automatic looks of disappointment. I am at my peak right now. There is no decline whatsoever in my intelligence. Half the people so scared that I won't stick around to be groomed probably will be long gone themselves in a few years. Basically it is a wasteland and employers are looking for every possible reason not to hire you right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I am at my peak right now. There is no decline whatsoever in my intelligence. Half the people so scared that I won't stick around to be groomed probably will be long gone themselves in a few years.

When they say I am "overqualified". I say, "I am over 50, I will always be "overqualified" now". The look on their faces is priceless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

30 months ago

I've copied and pasted two company Employment Equity statements off their websites and sent it back to HR departments with my Thank You email.
It's an Age Thing.. It's a Racial Thing.. It's a Gap thing.. all depends on my mood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario said: I've copied and pasted two company Employment Equity statements off their websites and sent it back to HR departments with my Thank You email.
It's an Age Thing.. It's a Racial Thing.. It's a Gap thing.. all depends on my mood.

With so much going against a person trying to a job nowadays I don't think I will ever get a job again. Thanks for cheering me up.

Prison is starting to look like a good option. Free meals, free medical, no bills, nice exercise facilities, maybe I can even settle down and find a boyfriend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Aurora, Colorado

30 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: The biggest disadvantage is being old. Race can be overcome if you don't focus on it yourself but age gets automatic looks of disappointment. I am at my peak right now. There is no decline whatsoever in my intelligence. Half the people so scared that I won't stick around to be groomed probably will be long gone themselves in a few years. Basically it is a wasteland and employers are looking for every possible reason not to hire you right now.

I think that the main issue is that most managers don't know how to hire and therefore just follow "conventional wisdom", which is, in part, that you don't hire anyone over 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

30 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Prison is starting to look like a good option. Free meals, free medical, no bills, nice exercise facilities, maybe I can even settle down and find a boyfriend.

You don't know how true that is. I have a nephew in law enforcement and he says, many prisoners live a better life than you do. Taxpayer picks up the tab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Giving up in Plainfield, Illinois

30 months ago

Really, what is the point in applying anymore? Yeah, everyone says "apply, apply, apply." But why keep applying and keep getting rejected? How am I supposed to gain experience when I'm not given the opportunity to prove myself? What was the point of being top of my class and getting all positive reviews during clinicals? What is the point of trying, when you're just going to get rejected? What is the point of giving your best, when your best will never be good enough? It's a stupid, stupid world. The rich stay rich, the poor stay poor. Companies list open positions, even though they wind up hiring internally. Hard work equates to nothing, and the "right place and the right time" trumps your passion and drive for the field you want to get into.

Maybe it's time to rob a 7-11. Maybe it's time to start dealing drugs. A lot of people here should understand what I'm talking about. I'm sick of playing nice, sick of trying hard. I have bills, I have taxes, I have school debts. I've done what I was supposed to do, and I get nothing. Not even a simple "We can't hire you." Got to make money somehow, right? So why keep playing by the rules? Why keep doing what you're supposed to do? What did THAT ever get you??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Giving up,

I know exactly how you feel. For the first 5 months of my search I stayed positive. I kept thinking I just need to keep my head up, keep applying and a job is right around the corner. After all America is the place where if you work hard you can get rich right? Well it seems in today's America you are not even given the opportunity to work, instead I play yo-yo games with HR and hiring managers. I prepare for weeks for interviews, pay thousands of dollars to travel across country, and then answer all their question in a positive and competent manner. Sometimes they even called my references and I got my hopes up. Then nothing weeks with no communication. The job remains unfilled so I keep my hopes up but also keep applying. This has been going on a year now. Some of my references have been called a few times and have begun to feel sorry for me and my inability to get a job and I bet it shows in their voice. It's a dead end. An impossible wall to scale.

Meanwhile congress is busy fussing over Eric Holder and Obama is catering to one million illegal immigrants while we the tax payers and patriots of this country don't even get a bone. After enduring this for a year I have thought of drastic measures a few times, crime, suicide, insanity but I don't do that. I don't want to do that. I just want a freaking chance to prove myself. I only ask for enough to pay for rent and food. I don't even think about things like vacations or going out to eat anymore. Those were fantasies of my youth. This is about survival now. I can't believe this is happening to me but it is. One more day, one more day. I don't know how it ends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

30 months ago

Though the politicians "speak a good game", they truly don't understand one thing.... it's about jobs, or more specifically, the lack of jobs. The "dear" governor of my state claims that they need more money, so let's raise taxes. Oh, by the way, on the short list of 10 important things, oh, yea, something about jobs, let's make that number 150. We need more taxes now so we don't have to cut fire, police, school supplies, etc..... I would like to see his salary cut to nothing (as well as quite a few other politicians salaries) until I get a job. See how they like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Giving up in Plainfield, Illinois

30 months ago

Yeah, I'm just getting so fed up with it. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.. I've tried everything. I've tried being myself, I've tried being who they want me to be, I've read articles and books. The one thing I have not done was sound desperate. I've always maintained my dignity. They say they're going to call me back, I say ok thank you for your time I look forward to hearing from you. I am very close to robbing a store or dealing drugs, because I very much doubt I'm going to get a job any time soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

30 months ago

Giving up in Plainfield, Illinois said: I am very close to robbing a store or dealing drugs, because I very much doubt I'm going to get a job any time soon.

I've felt this several times, before. However, the spirit of my mom would be very disappointed in me if I spent any of my life in jail, and I'm neither a master electrician that could take down bank alarms OR a talented meth cook.

I wish my guidance counselor in high school hooked me up with the talents and abilities that would actually turn into dollar signs down the road, instead of just shrugging and suggesting a liberal arts degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teacher out of look in Santa Ana, California

29 months ago

I can relate to most of these posts. I have applied to many jobs and to jobs that don't pay well and they don't call to interview. I so used to receiving rejection letters. It's just been a little over a month and I'm going crazy. I hate people asking me so how is the job hunt have they called. I went to school and got a bachelor degree and I can't find a job. I thought going to school was suppose to make things good for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diagoro in Orange, California

29 months ago

The only times I felt not being a minority has hurt, was applying for base level jobs. Especially food service. I've been to numerous places, only to get the odd look, or told I need experience (the actually demanded two years of dishwashing experience!).

The few fastf food places I tried to apply for had everyone write their name and number down. I can only imagine having an anglo name didnt help my chances (I'm in California, its rare to see an anglo working fadt food, much less hear english behind the counter).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ElizaDay in Burlingame, California

24 months ago

Not true. Sorry, I"m sure it's easier to think that "the other side has it better" but that's simply not true otherwise I'd be working as I am a hybrid of minorities.

The economy just sucks right now. There is a job shortage and I believe that a lot of employers take advantage of it. They know people are desperate for work so they can hire someone who is overqualified for less.

My biggest problem with being unemployed is how recruiters don't have the class to respond to you after you've interviewed for a specific job. I understand they're busy and can't get back to everyone who submits their resume for a job but if that person has actually interviewed and is therefore a viable candidate, then I believe as a courtesy they deserve to know why they were dismissed as a candidate. I find that 80% of the jobs I've interviewed for don't show me that courtesy and when I reach out to them to find out a status, I don't even get a response.

Being unemployed sucks but recruiters could lighten the blow at least a little bit by having a little compassion.

But, yes. I'm sick of it too. It's making me more depressed than I've been in years. But trust me when I say that minorities don't have it any better (unless knowing their native language is a qualification of the job)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ElizaDay in Burlingame, California

24 months ago

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Giving up,

I know exactly how you feel. For the first 5 months of my search I stayed positive. I kept thinking I just need to keep my head up, keep applying and a job is right around the corner. After all America is the place where if you work hard you can get rich right? Well it seems in today's America you are not even given the opportunity to work, instead I play yo-yo games with HR and hiring managers. I prepare for weeks for interviews, pay thousands of dollars to travel across country, and then answer all their question in a positive and competent manner. Sometimes they even called my references and I got my hopes up. Then nothing weeks with no communication . The job remains unfilled so I keep my hopes up but also keep applying. This has been going on a year now. Some of my references have been called a few times and have begun to feel sorry for me and my inability to get a job and I bet it shows in their voice. It's a dead end. An impossible wall to scale.

Meanwhile congress is busy fussing over Eric Holder and Obama is catering to one million illegal immigrants while we the tax payers and patriots of this country don't even get a bone.

Seriously? Obama has been extending unemployment benefits for years. He cares a hell of a lot more about the unemployed and job creation than the Greedy Old Party who want to outsource all jobs to other countries and cut off federal extensions. Right now he and the Democrats are pushing federal unemployment for billions who will be cut off 12/29. I am one of those people.

Please stop blaming Obama for the state of the nation. Bush and his unfunded wars, outsourcing and their housing crisis is what put the nation in this hole. The rich got richer from this economy and the poor got poorer. That was the Bush administration's mission. Put your blame where it belongs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

ElizaDay in Burlingame, California said: Please stop blaming Obama for the state of the nation. Bush and his unfunded wars, outsourcing and their housing crisis is what put the nation in this hole. The rich got richer from this economy and the poor got poorer. That was the Bush administration's mission. Put your blame where it belongs.

One of my in-laws use to be a big Replublican a few years ago. Reminded me of my father when he use to say, "Get a job, ya bum!".

Then he lost his good job, couldn't find another one and went on disablity. Then his mother went into a state home. All of this is being picked up by the taxpayer.

He is a big Obama fan now. Big Obama fan. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

24 months ago

ElizaDay in Burlingame, California said: Not true. Sorry, I"m sure it's easier to think that "the other side has it better" but that's simply not true otherwise I'd be working as I am a hybrid of minorities.

The economy just sucks right now. There is a job shortage and I believe that a lot of employers take advantage of it. They know people are desperate for work so they can hire someone who is overqualified for less.

My biggest problem with being unemployed is how recruiters don't have the class to respond to you after you've interviewed for a specific job. I understand they're busy and can't get back to everyone who submits their resume for a job but if that person has actually interviewed and is therefore a viable candidate, then I believe as a courtesy they deserve to know why they were dismissed as a candidate. I find that 80% of the jobs I've interviewed for don't show me that courtesy and when I reach out to them to find out a status, I don't even get a response.

Being unemployed sucks but recruiters could lighten the blow at least a little bit by having a little compassion.

But, yes. I'm sick of it too. It's making me more depressed than I've been in years. But trust me when I say that minorities don't have it any better (unless knowing their native language is a qualification of the job)

What is even worse is when these recruiters call you about a specific position, you email them your Resume then never again from the recruiter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Problem with recruiters is that they treat job seekers like comodities. We are human beings. We are not cofee beans, wheat, oil, etc.

If they were alittle more sensitive most of the negativity about them would go away.

I understand they are busy, have quotas, are competing with other agencies to fill the same position...but it doesn't excuse most of the unprofessionalism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.