So how ARE you financially surviving then?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Jobseeker in Concord, California

16 months ago

State UI only lasts just so long and is never enough. Savings accounts don't last forever either. GA (from what they've told me) is only available for 3 mos, then they cut you off for a YEAR, if you don't have kids to support.

If you've got a roof over your head (first of all, be VERY thankful), how are you supporting it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: State UI only lasts just so long and is never enough. Savings accounts don't last forever either. GA (from what they've told me) is only available for 3 mos, then they cut you off for a YEAR, if you don't have kids to support.

If you've got a roof over your head (first of all, be VERY thankful), how are you supporting it?

Sell crack, rob banks, at 47 move back home, the usual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

You have a home you can move back to? Well, you're ahead of me then. :-/ As to the other options, I'll pass. :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: You have a home you can move back to? Well, you're ahead of me then. :-/ As to the other options, I'll pass. :-(

Well, start picking out your shopping cart now. Come summertime, nice places are at a premium.

16 months ago

*smirk* Cute :-/

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

16 months ago

As i've said before, lost my job 2 weeks before X-mas in '08, exhausted my 99 weeks of UE sometime in Nov '10 before Thanksgiving. I have been on State Rental Assist. since '06 so while on UE I paid less rent and when that was exhausted I paid even less, tho still pay a nominal amount monthly and all util/phone/tv/i-net etc.

After I exhausted my UE benefits which came out to be about $13K/yr. I was eligible for SNAP food card and Medicaid. The Medicaid is going to be more expensive with Obamacare as I have read, heretofore I have not paid a cent but I think I am going to have to purchase health insurance and then will get some kind of stipend but seems like it will not be 100%.

I get $200/month on my SNAP card, but end up going over $10-$20/month; as a vegetarian I also try to buy organic as much as possible tho I do eat alot of stuff like boxed Kraft Mac 'n Cheez, etc for when too lazy/tired to make from scratch not that it much more effort to boil noodles and add butter and cheeze and milk vs. using that magic orange powder which has God knows What in it.

I probably get $15K in benefits a year just for being a pathetic loser who is obviously unemployable and too lazy/dumb to apply myself or learn anything new. In the past I have tried Masters in Nutrition, getting 2nd. BS in Psych, Certificates in Medical Coding & Transcription, becoming "proficient" with MS Office and Quickbooks and learning spanish. I was not successful at any of that so have concluded am not able to learn new stuff as my brain reached max. capacity at age 21.

Savings in 2008 $200K+ - Savings 2013 $90K and dwindling fast, I recently closed out a money market acct. as I had under the min. amount, my checking right now has $5K and I have NO CD's maturing anytime soon.
My assets have to last me untill i become eligible for retirement in 23 yrs! SS won't be enough to live off and not much in 401K

Spent over $100 today out of pocket on household items and contact lens solutions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

16 months ago

You must be very healthy on such a good diet.

How were you able to save so much, do you invest as a hobby ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

16 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: You must be very healthy on such a good diet.

How were you able to save so much, do you invest as a hobby ?

You are what you eat...I never thought i had all that much saved up, by 40 one should've had at least $350K or was it $650K? socked away, by the time one retires i think they now say $850K+ in assets if you want to maintain a comfortable life or travel. Most people have a house and a spouse so this would not be impossible. I WAS shooting for $500K but be lucky if I have 5 CENTS left by the time am 67. I was at Aldi supermarket the other day bringing carts back from the lot and putting them back in the chain for the quarters, there were 4 of 'em so I made a whole DOLLAR...

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

You sound so organized to get all those state benefits lined up. I don't think I could do what you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.