Staffing Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

courtroch in West Chester, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

So I've been interning at a staffing company for nearly 3 months now and I'm starting to witness some things that I'm not particularly fond of. For starters, the age discrimination is pretty obvious (recruiter, well one in particular, constantly passes up qualified candidates for bubbly, 20 somethings) along with the endless posting of teaser jobs completely aimed at getting people to register. Not to mention the constant CareerBuilder and Monster sourcing. Maybe it's just the place I'm working, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it's not. Has anyone had an experience with staffing agencies on the job seeker end? How was it and would you do it again? I'm wondering if I'm doing a disservice to people by convincing them to interview and waste their time for a position that does not exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Motor City in Farmington Hills, Michigan

27 months ago

What you are seeing in your staffing company is how they operate. They call you up and tell you that they are very much interested in meeting you, make an appointment, sit you down in front of a computer and test for Word, Excel, typing and some for math without a calculator and proof reading documents. Then they will talk to you for about 10-15 minutes and tell you that they will call you when something comes in that you would be a good match for, and they never call back. So what to they do with the information? As soon as the person leaves, they get on the phone and call the references and tell them they have such great candidates and want to send them to the client. So you can see that from your end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Almost all of the people who work at PSG (hiss) are early 20-somethings in suits. They act in exactly the manner you describe. I've only ever been to them, but I imagine that all Boston recruiters act the same way.

I can't fathom why, in this job market, a company would hire a recruiter to find people to fill jobs for them. They almost all have HR departments. Put an ad out, and bam! 100+ applications. What do you want to pay a recruiter a fee for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

27 months ago

Because of financial implications: a company pays the agency under its accounting code "Temp help" rather than hiring their own which are reported in the number of headcounts in its SEC filing. It's a numbers game.

Some companies actually find their own contractors and then have agencies do the payroll only; so the agency only charges the payroll processing fee, and the temp's paycheck show his employer is the agency.

Sounds confusing? I would be if not for the fact that I work in the accounting/finance dept. It's commonly practiced by many high profile companies who hire tons of contractors because: a) they save benefit costs; b)show Wall Street they have less headcounts. So sad....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I can't fathom why, in this job market, a company would hire a recruiter to find people to fill jobs for them. They almost all have HR departments. Put an ad out, and bam! 100+ applications. What do you want to pay a recruiter a fee for?

Here, if they need an exotic skill set, they will outsource the job because, it might require a national search. Not too many locals speak Mandarin and Polish and are willing to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day.

At my last company, they used local recruiters for backlog/seasonal situations and because they had a small HR department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

courtroch in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: So I've been interning at a staffing company for nearly 3 months now and I'm starting to witness some things that I'm not particularly fond of. For starters, the age discrimination is pretty obvious (recruiter, well one in particular, constantly passes up qualified candidates for bubbly, 20 somethings) along with the endless posting of teaser jobs completely aimed at getting people to register. Not to mention the constant CareerBuilder and Monster sourcing. Maybe it's just the place I'm working, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it's not. Has anyone had an experience with staffing agencies on the job seeker end? How was it and would you do it again? I'm wondering if I'm doing a disservice to people by convincing them to interview and waste their time for a position that does not exist.

We're grizzled veterans. We know.

I'd like to know what the 20-somethings who think they're hotshot recruiters think about bringing in people from fake job ads.

Desertjobsearcher in Chandler, Arizona

27 months ago

What Bean Counter says is totally true. My sister works for a major wireless company and it is shocking how many 'contract employees' vs 'regular employees' (with benefits) they have. The ratio is like 4 to 1. She was told that this is because they can 1)avoid paying medical benefits 2)avoid having to report layoffs to shareholders since temps can be let go at any time without counting as true layoffs and 3)not have to deal with unemployment taxes when they do get rid of contractors.

This is why staffing agencies are doing so well now. Since most jobs are now temp, without ever having the possibility of going perm, despite what they tell employees, staffing agencies are making 30%+ markup on every hour that their workers work. It's really disgusting actually. I worked at a staffing firm several years ago and lasted exactly 3 months. I was tired of lying to people about jobs we didn't have, tired of screening people based on illegal criteria and even more tired of telling people their assignments were ending without giving them any notice, and then proceeding to watch the agency fight their unemployment claims.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

It's not just about avoid paying medical benefits, as these contractors are only paid for hours worked, nothing else, no vacation/holiday pay, no bonus, no merit raise no matter how many years they've been working there. Moreover, they're treated like 3rd class citizens -- are not invited to some meetings or company social gatherings like Xmas party or summer picnics... All in the name of cost savings so the CEO and his lieutenants can dig into the huge savings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Yes, the huge cost savings only benefit first and foremost the CEOs & VPs, then the shareholders, and perhaps a very small % will go to the regular employees.

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

I have worked as a temp once and there were other temps at the location as well. I have noticed that they have had many temps working on the same thing that I was working on in the past, it seems like they keep them a few months and they get rid of them and get new temps, I am sure that after I left, they got another temp to continue where I left off. They also use different agencies.

courtroch in West Chester, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I want to thank everyone for their input, I hardly get the chance to ask candidates what they think when they come in but I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of what was said here. @ Desertjobsearcher, I can really relate to what you said regarding an agenies distaste when temps try to file for unemployment. My internship was originally offered to a temp as a full-time, $10/hour position. He was attempting to collect unemployment and offering him the position was a way to fight his claims. It's disheartening to see employers act this way. And working with a staffing agency seems to have more cons than pros. But I'm curious, has anyone ever had a good experience with an agency? By good I mean, were you eventually hired on? Any good experiences with recruiters?

27 months ago

I got hired on from a temp job once after working there for three months. However, it was a small office with about 20 people working there, so they all knew me and the important people liked my work. If you have exposure to the right people, you have a better chance at getting hired full-time from a temp job. It also helps if you're the only person on the temp job.

It's not so easy to get hired full-time from a temp job at bigger employers because you have a much better chance at being lost in the mix there - especially if you're on the temp job with other temps.

Carole in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

I am curious if your agency hires anyone direct today? I beleive that everything is temp a few weeks or months and then regardless of what kind of work you do, they tell you that the assignment is over and that is it. Do you know what they do with all the resumes they get in? Do they keep them on file in the event a match comes it for what you are looking to fill, or do they just figure that if it is 6 months later, just get fresh resumes and forget what came in the past since they only wanted the information off the resumes? I have registered for over a dozen agencies and not a single one has done anything but tell me they will call me, yet they are constantly posting new ads on both Careerbuilder & Monster. Why?

courtroch in Satellite Provider

27 months ago

Carole in Chicago, Illinois said: I am curious if your agency hires anyone direct today? I beleive that everything is temp a few weeks or months and then regardless of what kind of work you do, they tell you that the assignment is over and that is it. Do you know what they do with all the resumes they get in? Do they keep them on file in the event a match comes it for what you are looking to fill, or do they just figure that if it is 6 months later, just get fresh resumes and forget what came in the past since they only wanted the information off the resumes? I have registered for over a dozen agencies and not a single one has done anything but tell me they will call me, yet they are constantly posting new ads on both Careerbuilder & Monster. Why?

They keep your resume in their database and mark you inactive after a few months if they don't replace you. They won't delete it because should they see it in the future, they want to see whether youve registered in the past and if you have they won't call you. As for them posting "new" jobs well the "new" jobs are teasers. They post them so they can generate a ton of responses and try to get people to register. They "we'll call you line is a blow off line; they, for whatever reason, don't want to place you. Like I've said I'm only an intern and I've been seeing this since days one..its sad to say the least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

Just because they didn't place you should not be reason to not call when they do have a job available. If they were desparate to get the position filled they would call. That is of course when they do have jobs to offer candiates. Right now they can avoid calling if they have too many to pick from but in the future they may have to call them. They are keeping the resumes in case they do need to call someone fast to fill a position rather than run another ad and wait for resumes that are quality to come in when the job is harder to fill.

Desertjobsearcher in Chandler, Arizona

27 months ago

At the agency I worked at, they only placed recent candidates. They never looked thru the database at old resumes and they periodically went thru and inactivated anyone in there more than 90 days who hadn't been placed. I was told this was because they didn't want to send their clients candidates who had been out of work for so long. In other words, if the person was still available for work after 90 days, they were considered unemployable.

Staffing agencies are out to make money, period, regardless of what they tell you. You are just a money maker for them, nothing more. They would rather see you stay in your position as a long term temp than get hired perm because they can continue to make money off your work. Most agencies cannot collect a placement fee if the person has been working at the temp position more than 3 to 6 months and THEN goes perm. It's all written in the contracts they have with their clients.

I had much more luck getting perm placement jobs back in the early 2000's when there were more jobs available. Now it seems like most jobs are only long term temp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

If you already registered with a temp recruiter, you have slim chance of finding a perm job thru the agency simply because you are the temp recruiter's 'inventory', there's no way he wants to share with his perm recruiter colleague your resume because he will not get the full commission if you are hired. Similarly, the perm recruiter would want to use his own candidates so he does not need to share the commission with any other recruiters -- temp or perm --in the agency.

Many years ago, I was ignorant and ended up registering with a temp recruiter without even realizing it, I remember getting calls from her on temp gigs only so I asked about perm opportunities, at that point she mentioned that she'd pass my resume to the folks who handled perm. I never heard from that agency again.

From then on, when I contacted a new agency, I asked to speak with a perm recruiter.

27 months ago

Desertjobsearcher in Chandler, Arizona said: At the agency I worked at, they only placed recent candidates. They never looked thru the database at old resumes and they periodically went thru and inactivated anyone in there more than 90 days who hadn't been placed. I was told this was because they didn't want to send their clients candidates who had been out of work for so long. In other words, if the person was still available for work after 90 days, they were considered unemployable.

Staffing agencies are out to make money, period, regardless of what they tell you. You are just a money maker for them, nothing more. They would rather see you stay in your position as a long term temp than get hired perm because they can continue to make money off your work. Most agencies cannot collect a placement fee if the person has been working at the temp position more than 3 to 6 months and THEN goes perm. It's all written in the contracts they have with their clients.

I had much more luck getting perm placement jobs back in the early 2000's when there were more jobs available. Now it seems like most jobs are only long term temp.

Apparently, agencies are now sending temps over to interview with the client before they ever start working.

I used to be able to get temp work when I was just starting out with no experience back in the day. Now, since I've been out of work long enough, the temp agencies won't help me. No experience was fine then. Lots of experience now is no good in the eyes of the temp agencies with an employment gap on my resume. Ironic much?

As far as perm placement by agencies goes, it would seem to me, with the internet, that it is outdated. Firms can generate hundreds of resumes and review them themselves with a much keener eye than anyone at an agency could, skipping the middleman altogether.

Lastly, most agency ads placed on the job sites are fake in order to get people signed up. Robert Half, I'm looking at you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Yeah, temp agencies are now taking a page from realtors who post on CL. They post a super nice apartment at a reasonable price that gets you to call them, then they make up some BS about that apartment being taken already (it was never even on the block to begin with) and offer to show you what they really need to move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Actually, I find, surprisingly, that most agencies/recruiters don't post ads on CL; they tend to post them in succession and in droves on Indeed, CB and Simply Hired. This is puzzling because I thought CL was free or rather cheap. I can only assume that they get bulk rates from the other three sites mentioned. That's almost collusion against job candidates.

courtroch in Satellite Provider

27 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Actually, I find, surprisingly, that most agencies/recruiters don't post ads on CL; they tend to post them in succession and in droves on Indeed, CB and Simply Hired. This is puzzling because I thought CL was free or rather cheap. I can only assume that they get bulk rates from the other three sites mentioned. That's almost collusion against job candidates.

Sometimes that depends of the state. I live in the Philadelphia area and that craigslist is full of staffing posts. They usually don't let on in the post that it's a staffing company, you find that out when you call. I know for the philadelphia craigslist it's $25 an ad only some are free like to post in delaware. So it depends on the area. Generally carrerbuilder is cheaper and doesn't charge per post.

27 months ago

I read CL ads closely to detect any reference to the possibility that it's a recruiter/agency. Any hype whatsoever (outside of sales jobs) indicates a recruiter/agency. Any slight indication of a third party is a recruiter/agency. Some agencies here actually do put their name on CL ads. Strange.

With the internet and how people hate recruiting/staffing/temp offices, it's a wonder many of them are even in business. They are obsolete as far as placing perm workers.

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

courtroch in Satellite Provider said: I know for the philadelphia craigslist it's $25 an ad only some are free like to post in delaware. So it depends on the area. Generally carrerbuilder is cheaper and doesn't charge per post.

It does depend on your area. They should raise the fee to $50.00. This would clear out even more scammers.

27 months ago

I'm shocked that the CEO responded to you at all.

Are HR people really this lazy? They put out a perm job to multiple agencies? Why pay agencies to weed out when you can yourself? You have to trust that the agency sends you a good candidate? Obviously they don't send many good ones if you're contacting multiple agencies to fill a job.

Oy.

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm shocked that the CEO responded to you at all.

Are HR people really this lazy? They put out a perm job to multiple agencies? Why pay agencies to weed out when you can yourself? You have to trust that the agency sends you a good candidate? Obviously they don't send many good ones if you're contacting multiple agencies to fill a job.Oy.

That is why, if you use agencies, you never give them all the same salary requirements. You need to overlap. Companies that use mulitple agencies are price shopping.

ANGEL ZAYAS in PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.