Stalling about a job offer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

KingCharles108 in Atherton, California

12 months ago

I've been working at my current job, my first job after graduation, for about 18 months. I've been a contract employee for all of this time, and my boss is making moves to get me hired as a full-time employee.

There's just one problem: I HATE this job. I absolutely hate it. I could go on at length as to the reasons why, but the short version is that we've outsourced manufacturing overseas, people have been leaving the site like rats fleeing a sinking ship, there's some serious brain-drain happening, and literally nobody ever seems to be in control or know what's going on. In short, this place is a Kafkaesque hellhole which should be avoided at all costs by anybody even remotely ambitious. Imagine "Office Space" on powerful sedatives.

My current dilemma is that if I take the job that is being offered to me, I'm afraid it extends the amount of time that I have to remain here before I can take another job. The prospect of spending another 6 months to a year here is enough to make me want to curl up in the fetal position. (Not an exaggeration, it's THAT depressing here)

I've been frantically searching for another job, and I've even got a lead on a few of them, but it looks doubtful that I'll be able to lock one down before I'm formally offered the job by my current boss. I plan on stalling on accepting it as long as I can, but I might have to take it eventually, lest I become unemployed.

So, here are my questions:

1. How can I go about stalling on something like this? How long can I keep it up? Complicating matters is the fact that the hiring manager is already my boss.

2. If I do end up taking the job, how bad would it look if I left a month or two later? I've already been working there for a year and a half, so it's not like I'm job hopping that badly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Cibolo, Texas

12 months ago

Well, if you're contract, couldn't you say something like: I'm actually working a few other contracts right now and I feel that I would have to abandon them if I accepted the position.

And no, it wouldn't look bad, because nowhere does you history have to state that your status with the organization changed.

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

KingCharles108 in Atherton, California said: I've been working at my current job, my first job after graduation, for about 18 months. I've been a contract employee for all of this time, and my boss is making moves to get me hired as a full-time employee.

There's just one problem: I HATE this job. I absolutely hate it. I could go on at length as to the reasons why, but the short version is that we've outsourced manufacturing overseas, people have been leaving the site like rats fleeing a sinking ship, there's some serious brain-drain happening, and literally nobody ever seems to be in control or know what's going on. In short, this place is a Kafkaesque hellhole which should be avoided at all costs by anybody even remotely ambitious. Imagine "Office Space" on powerful sedatives.

My current dilemma is that if I take the job that is being offered to me, I'm afraid it extends the amount of time that I have to remain here before I can take another job. The prospect of spending another 6 months to a year here is enough to make me want to curl up in the fetal position. (Not an exaggeration, it's THAT depressing here)

I've been frantically searching for another job, and I've even got a lead on a few of them, but it looks doubtful that I'll be able to lock one down before I'm formally offered the job by my current boss. I plan on stalling on accepting it as long as I can, but I might have to take it eventually, lest I become unemployed.

So, here are my questions:

2. If I do end up taking the job, how bad would it look if I left a month or two later? I've already been working there for a year and a half, so it's not like I'm job hopping that badly.

Tough one. Try for shorter contract terms. Breach of contract can have devastating consequences.

When I worked contract, there were times, I couldn't wait for it to end. Never went back either.

JayGeezy in Anonymous Proxy

12 months ago

Does the permanent job come with increased salary/benefits/vacation? If so, take it.

And at the same time continue looking for a better job, and when you find one politely tell your boss you appreciate the opportunity (even if you don't) but are putting in your notice as you have been offered 'the type of opportunity I can't pass up'.

Like you said, your company has been shipping work overseas. Same goes with plenty of other companies; let's face it, in today's business world everyone is expendable and companies are ruthless in cutting jobs/costs if it helps their bottom line.

Why should you or any other worker be any different? Granted, there are companies who show loyalty to their employees and they should be applauded and I would think harder about leaving a company like that, even if the new opportunity paid more. But, sadly, the majority of companies are not like this.

KA2 in Sydney

12 months ago

I believe that the fact that your current employer switching you from contract to full time would look good to other potential employers, as it shows that your current employer would like you to stay with the company.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.