Comments (1 to 50 of 2002)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

StrongFuture in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

34 months ago

How can I start a new forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Polly Ann in Oakland, California

34 months ago

New forum, same rant, 2 1/2 years and counting. Waste time and travel and money on interviews only to never here anything. This time around had an in person interview two weeks ago. E-mailed the representative to ask where do I stand. She says should hr elect to move forward, they'll call me. Of course, if I haven't heard anything in two weeks, I'm not keeping my hopes up about this. I'm just so tired of the same song and dance. The economy is not getting better; it'll only get worse, big time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

34 months ago

StrongFuture in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: How can I start a new forum?

Go to the top of whatever forum you want to start your thread in ("Career Advice," "Job Interviews," etc.) and click "Start New Discussion."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Polly Ann in Oakland, California said: New forum, same rant, 2 1/2 years and counting. Waste time and travel and money on interviews only to never here anything. This time around had an in person interview two weeks ago. E-mailed the representative to ask where do I stand. She says should hr elect to move forward, they'll call me. Of course, if I haven't heard anything in two weeks, I'm not keeping my hopes up about this. I'm just so tired of the same song and dance. The economy is not getting better; it'll only get worse, big time.

I don't blame you Polly Ann. I clearly can't stress this, but when it comes to looking for job, it's always as they say in show business, "Don't call us. We'll call you"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I just got hired at Sears a week ago, after 18 months of unemployment. I wanted full time and appliances, I got part time and home improvement. But ALL numbers are greater than zero...even $6 + "commission," and I can keep looking in the meantime.

But man, there's NOTHING to look at. I've just visited USAjobs.gov, MA unemployment job bank, careerbuilder, snagajob, this site, and about to hit Craigslist, and there is just NOTHING. I wanted to spend all day applying to jobs, today. What jobs? The only things listed are things that I flat out don't qualify for (chemist or 10 year experience project manager etc), or things that are no better/worse than Sears. I've been looking for almost 3 hours, and applied to one thing.

I'm really wondering about cashing out my 401K, moving to Cali, and trying my luck as a comedian, or something. Here I'm poor with NO chance of breaking out. At least there, there's a .00001% chance I'll get noticed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I STILL can't believe the interview I went on that made me drive 3 hours each way AND stay at a hotel overnight to be there at 9 AM, and I still didn't get the job. Thanks, now I'm unemployed AND out $200 between gas and lodging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

34 months ago

Can an employer that recently hire you dismiss you for not submitting working papers if they never ever gave you working papers?

Does that sound like a valid excuse for dismissing someone at a menial part time job or do you think it was a cowardly way of deciding that they didn't want someone there because it would mean senior workers would have to give up some hours ? I'm only asking because I know seniority was big thing at this company.

A young fresh-faced guy, probably a year out of college, couldn't possibly be incompetent to the point he imagined handing me paperwork.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Chicago, Illinois said: I STILL can't believe the interview I went on that made me drive 3 hours each way AND stay at a hotel overnight to be there at 9 AM, and I still didn't get the job. Thanks, now I'm unemployed AND out $200 between gas and lodging.

If these people only took the time to consider the time, money, and effort we job seekers are putting in to find work. Those who consider the unemployed "lazy" need to think again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

34 months ago

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia said: If these people only took the time to consider the time, money, and effort we job seekers are putting in to find work. Those who consider the unemployed "lazy" need to think again.

They do not care about us. They don't have a clue as to what it is like to be unemployed in this horrible economy. We are nothing to them, really.

I am so blessed that I landed a temp. job for the next 6 months, although I am on a per diem basis for now. The sad thing is, as nice as they are, they are not very willing to train. They are kind of throwing me into it, and I am doing everything I can to catch on. Additionally, there are actually people who are angry bc they knew people who wanted the job. My hourly rate is excellent, but like I said, it is temporary, and there are no benefits.

I just want to feel secure, and I am nowhere near feeling that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Average in Everett, Massachusetts said: Can an employer that recently hire you dismiss you for not submitting working papers if they never ever gave you working papers?

Does that sound like a valid excuse for dismissing someone at a menial part time job or do you think it was a cowardly way of deciding that they didn't want someone there because it would mean senior workers would have to give up some hours ? I'm only asking because I know seniority was big thing at this company.

A young fresh-faced guy, probably a year out of college, couldn't possibly be incompetent to the point he imagined handing me paperwork.

I think they can dismiss you for any reason, unless you are in a union or have a contract. It is crazy being unemployed, and it seems like getting hired can be a crazy time, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Chicago, Illinois said: I just got hired at Sears a week ago, after 18 months of unemployment. I wanted full time and appliances, I got part time and home improvement. But ALL numbers are greater than zero...even $6 + "commission," and I can keep looking in the meantime.

But man, there's NOTHING to look at. I've just visited USAjobs.gov, MA unemployment job bank, careerbuilder, snagajob, this site, and about to hit Craigslist, and there is just NOTHING. I wanted to spend all day applying to jobs, today. What jobs? The only things listed are things that I flat out don't qualify for (chemist or 10 year experience project manager etc), or things that are no better/worse than Sears. I've been looking for almost 3 hours, and applied to one thing.

I'm really wondering about cashing out my 401K, moving to Cali, and trying my luck as a comedian, or something. Here I'm poor with NO chance of breaking out. At least there, there's a .00001% chance I'll get noticed.

There is nothing here, either. Sundays used to have a decent amount of ads, and now there is one page in my local people. I have not sent a resume in about 2 weeks. I try to "stretch" my experience to fit other jobs, but I cannot even find anything that is close to my background and degree. I am so thankful for my temp job, but when that ends, back to this stress and sadness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I meant local paper...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sighing in Southern, New Jersey said: I try to "stretch" my experience to fit other jobs, but I cannot even find anything that is close to my background and degree.

Sadly, not even transferable skills are enough at the moment. They want an exact fit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

dontwanttobea99er in Chicago, Illinois said:

Don't Be a 99er: I tried to permanently relocate to Los Angeles back in 1983, but for family reasons, I came back here to Philly. I tried to find a office job there; but I didn't have any luck. Even though I had business and office training, a lot of those jobs out there wanted job experience. For example: I remember going into a furniture store in downtown Los Angeles to apply for a clerical job there. The manager there said that he didn't have time to train anybody. He wanted somebody with experience.

A lot of companies out there want local (Los Angeles area) references. I used to see job ads in the local papers there, and some of them said "Local references."

Also, the cost of living anywhere in California is so high that it's not even funny.

There's nothing wrong with with you moving out there to become a comedian, but you should have a steady job on the side. When I was last there, I came across some telemarketing job where they hire actors and actresses. You know how it is in show business. You can be on top of the world one day, and then down at the bottom of the heap the next day.

It doesn't hurt for you to try moving to California. All you can do is just simply take a chance. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eric

34 months ago

I was out of work for 6 months before I found my current job ($21 and hour with full benefits/retirement/insurance , etc....) but I was starting to go into 'panic mode' cause my bills were piling up and I was getting worried. I spend 3 months driving 85 miles each way (thats 170 miles per day, 680 miles per week (4 days per week) for a non-paid College internship) but that non-paid internship was a direct stepping stone to my current job only 35 miles away from my house.

I had to spend a lot on gas and Turnpike tolls for that 3 month drive but I stayed positive knowing that I made a very good impression on my temp coworkers and boss. They wanted me to stay but they just didn't have an opening. If it wasn't for the awesome letter of recommendation they wrote for me.... I would of had a very difficult time landing my present job.

Just try and stay positive and network with family, friends, past coworkers, people you know from church, school,....etc. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

34 months ago

I'm just tired of people giving me stupid advice lol. I say that tongue-in-cheek cause I know they are just trying to help. But don't tell me "Don't take it personally" when employers essentially say "you aren't good enough" for our menial $9 an hour job.
Furthermore, I foolishly thought that being an Iraq war veteran (with a degree no less) would have helped me get a job, boy was I sadly mistaken. My degree and my military service means squat to people in this economy. But I guess I just gotta keep on keepin on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

34 months ago

I'm still getting annoying error messages on the other "frustrated" thread, so I'm bumping this replacement thread up again.

I got the stupid questions and guilt trip from a few ladies on Saturday that haven't seen me in a long time. They had to bring up the stupid "did you find a job yet?" question. Then I also brought up the fact that a number of months were spent taking care of my husband after his injury and driving him everywhere since he couldn't drive. Then one of them says, "Isn't he back to work now?" Yeah, but... there are still issues that we are both have to deal with. Grrrr. People just don't understand all that is involved in getting someone back on their feet and how long it takes to recover from a serious injury. It affects the spouse as well. Guess who gets to pick up the slack when my husband is down? Yep, that's my job. Not like I'm sitting around watching TV or off playing golf...sheesh!

Of course there were no words of encouragement. It seems people just want to make you feel like an idiot for not finding a job yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I really need to start writing things down of how I spend my day. I need to list what I've accomplished and then I'll whip that notebook of accomplishments out when they start asking questions. That will shut their cake holes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KaylaHollis in Sanford, North Carolina

34 months ago

Well, happy to say that I'm not the only one that is stressed about job hunting like me. I've tired everything, from calling them back about my application to having only 4 interviews within in 9 months and never hearing anything back about it, with me thinking that it went well. But all I can say is that we all don't need to just give up, keep trying and don't stop applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

It gets hard. When days turn into weeks which turn into months which I hope don't turn into years, it gets harder each day.

designer bee, I also hate the "Have you found anything yet?" interrogation. I always say, when I find something, I'll let everyone know! It's so aggravating.

I am trying to think positively, but for each job that I apply to where I don't get even an auto response that my application has been received, I'm losing my faith.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

KaylaHollis in Sanford, North Carolina

34 months ago

Well, happy to say that I'm not the only one that is stressed about job hunting like me. I've tired everything, from calling them back about my application to having only 4 interviews within in 9 months and never hearing anything back about it, with me thinking that it went well. But all I can say is that we all don't need to just give up, keep trying and don't stop applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Instead of asking if you found a job yet, why don't these people ask around for you? That would be more helpful than judging and nagging a person. We can all use more job leads, so why not help out?

I'm also getting tired of having to report my job hunting to the unemployment office. Why am I having to list where I applied at when I'm not even getting a unemployment check anymore? And whatever happened to this 99 weeks that everybody was supposed to get? I only got it for a year. This country is so messed up and I don't see an end in sight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I am a couple of weeks into my temp job, and will lose it in 6 months when the person returns. I am VERY grateful for the money, but wondering if it is a trend to not train at all. I am literally trying to learn a complex computer system by myself, while being overwhelmed with the stuff the person (whose job it is) did not do because of sheer laziness. It is a mess. All the while I am dodging dirty looks and snide remarks from people who wanted their kid or friend to have the job. I have no connections, while most of the staff is related or knows each other. I cannot believe how nasty people can be over a temp job with no benefits. Give me a break!

Cannot wait to start looking again in 6 months.....in the past week I got 2 letters and one email telling me jobs for which I applied were withdrawn due to funding cuts. Great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George

34 months ago

If you read DailyJobCuts.com you will see our country is in shambles and only getting worse every day. Lot of college grads trying to enter the workforce at the same time trying to compete with recently layed off people.

justryintoworkhere in somewhere unemployed in, Texas

34 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Instead of asking if you found a job yet, why don't these people ask around for you? That would be more helpful than judging and nagging a person. We can all use more job leads, so why not help out?

I'm also getting tired of having to report my job hunting to the unemployment office. Why am I having to list where I applied at when I'm not even getting a unemployment check anymore? And whatever happened to this 99 weeks that everybody was supposed to get? I only got it for a year. This country is so messed up and I don't see an end in sight.

What happened to your unemployment is that the extension ended for anyone who exhausted their current tier after july 1 2011. There is language in the jobs bill that is president is trying to get through to add those additional weeks back. However it was defeated in the Senate just today. And it wasn't 99 weeks in every state. In some states is was a little as 73 weeks. Everyone should check with their states unemployment office to see how many weeks are available. Well I guess it doesn't matter since the bill hasn't passed. In the job bill there was nothing in it to add any additional weeks for the 99ers. They are still out of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

justryintoworkhere in somewhere unemployed in, Texas

34 months ago

When you are going thru the interview process. Keep every phone number and email that you receive. Get the phone numbers off the caller ID and keep them. When you get the rejection email. IMMEDIATELY write back asking for interview feedback. CC the higher ups in HR. If you don't know who they are then look it up on the company website, linkedin etc... Be friendly don't say "you shoulda gave me the job!" Just say you're looking to improve your interview skills and would like feedback. You'll find that you did nothing wrong most of the time. Sometimes they will interview you again for another position. In your email make sure you ask them to keep you on file for future positions. If they don't respond start calling. If still no response write to the higher ups you already looked up. If all the emails you receive are from those automated "no reply" accounts then you will have to look it up and maybe write old fashioned letters and send it snail mail (certified or return receipt requested). That's the only thing that worked for me. I got a job that I start in November after being out of work since 2009. I interviewed and was rejected the very next day. When I asked for feedback they offered to interview me for another position then offered me the job. I suspect when they interviewed me for the first position it was already filled (they will keep interviewing just for practice sometimes. I know they are wasting our time but that's how it is in an employers market). I also think folks are gonna hafta to find a way to cover the time you've been out of work. If you know anyone that has a small business ask them to give you a reference. They could say you were doing part time clerical work of something. I know people don't want to lie but these companies are lying to us and playing with our lives so don't feel bad if you can stretch something and put it on your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

The one time I called the HR person at a company that rejected me, she got nasty with me. I asked her what I could improve for future interviews. I didn't even ask why THEY rejected me. I was trying to figure out why I kept getting rejected. She wouldn't tell me anything and said, "We could sit here and talk about this all day." Oh, really? I didn't think more than a minute or two was necessary. She went from friendly in the interview to being snippy on the phone. I guess she didn't care if I got hired anyway. She wasn't going to help me.

The job I applied for was to be a foot in the door to the design dept. At the moment they had a high school kid doing it. It didn't require special skills. I saw it as an opportunity to get in the company and then move up to a better position.

I got the last laugh when the company went under a few years later. Now stupid HR lady was the one that got laid off. I hope she had a hard time finding another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

34 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: The one time I called the HR person at a company that rejected me, she got nasty with me. I asked her what I could improve for future interviews. I didn't even ask why THEY rejected me. I was trying to figure out why I kept getting rejected. She wouldn't tell me anything and said, "We could sit here and talk about this all day." Oh, really? I didn't think more than a minute or two was necessary. She went from friendly in the interview to being snippy on the phone. I guess she didn't care if I got hired anyway. She wasn't going to help me.

The job I applied for was to be a foot in the door to the design dept. At the moment they had a high school kid doing it. It didn't require special skills. I saw it as an opportunity to get in the company and then move up to a better position.

I got the last laugh when the company went under a few years later. Now stupid HR lady was the one that got laid off. I hope she had a hard time finding another job.

I am a firm believer in you reap what you sew. It may be all fun and games now for these HR people who like to play with peoples lives but if there is any justice in the world they will get theirs, no doubt in my mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tania in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

HR people have a hundreds of people applying for an open job posting.

Most HR don't have the time to give advice to every person that calls asking what went wrong during the interview and how they can improve for future interviews.
I'm guessing that most jobs posted have already been filled but HR has not taken down the job posting on their website. With sooooooo many people applying for jobs many HR people don't even want to have any interaction with the job applicant.
Many companies now use software that scans each resume for *keywords* directly related to that position and weeds out resumes that are not a good match for that position.

I work for a very large hospital in FT Lauderdale, FL and the director of HR was saying she got over 400 resumes for a full-time nurse position and once the interview was over didn't have any time to talk with nurse grads that were interviewed for the position. I hate to say this but many places will say.....

"Don't call us. We'll call you"

I know its sucks but a lot of places don't want to offer advice or suggestions on their job interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

outofworkaminah in Morrow, Georgia

34 months ago

i agree with everyone on the forum. i have been looking for about three years, and i continue to get shut down. it's crazy, even for small jobs in retail. it's truly sad. but i am not giving up, i will continue to keep looking. i pray something will happen in the positive for me soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aminahrashid in Morrow, Georgia

34 months ago

Tania in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: HR people have a hundreds of people applying for an open job posting.

Most HR don't have the time to give advice to every person that calls asking what went wrong during the interview and how they can improve for future interviews.
I'm guessing that most jobs posted have already been filled but HR has not taken down the job posting on their website. With sooooooo many people applying for jobs many HR people don't even want to have any interaction with the job applicant.
Many companies now use software that scans each resume for *keywords* directly related to that position and weeds out resumes that are not a good match for that position.

I work for a very large hospital in FT Lauderdale, FL and the director of HR was saying she got over 400 resumes for a full-time nurse position and once the interview was over didn't have any time to talk with nurse grads that were interviewed for the position. I hate to say this but many places will say.....

"Don't call us. We'll call you"

I know its sucks but a lot of places don't want to offer advice or suggestions on their job interview.

but why?? u would think that these people would want to help versus keep down. i am really hating this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tania in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

aminahrashid,

Maybe HR people are too busy getting the person who was hired (paperwork, school transcripts, drug/credit/background checks in order not to mention getting them ready for job orientation....etc) to have any time to offer job interview advice or constructive criticism to those that were not hired. If I was an HR person I would take 5 minutes over the phone to tell the top 10 candidates who were not hired what they could improve on for their next job interview and offer some suggestions on what we want to see and hear during an interview.

Try not to forget that for every job opening there's hundreds of people applying for that position, its not like HR can spend time with each person that was not hired and offer advice.

Good Luck

Tania RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Tania in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: HR people have a hundreds of people applying for an open job posting.

The interview I was talking about was probably 5 years ago before the economy tanked. I'm pretty sure I was the only person that called back to ask why. If I remember right, the job wasn't posted anywhere. I was just going door to door applying at various companies.

I read in a job hunting book, written by a former HR professional, that they usually won't tell you why you didn't get the job because they don't want to say anything that will get them in trouble. I guess I can see their point even if I don't like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

It seems Obama is in need of some design work for FREE. He needs a poster for his job creation plan and is holding contest instead of paying a professional designer. Shame, shame, Obama. It's receiving a lot of criticism from the design community and rightfully so.

Reading the comments below the article also proves that we have a lot of educating to do for those non-design people out there. After all, we don't hold contests to see which builder can build the best room and then only give credit for the best room. Nope, you hire someone based on their past projects and then pay that person. Plumbers, electricians and mechanics don't work for free, so why should designers?

"Obama Poster Contest Angers Design Community: It's 'The Opposite Of Jobs'"

link to article: tiny.cc/13qxr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frankensense in Warwick, Rhode Island

33 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: It seems Obama is in need of some design work for FREE. He needs a poster for his job creation plan and is holding contest instead of paying a professional designer. Shame, shame, Obama. It's receiving a lot of criticism from the design community and rightfully so.

Reading the comments below the article also proves that we have a lot of educating to do for those non-design people out there. After all, we don't hold contests to see which builder can build the best room and then only give credit for the best room. Nope, you hire someone based on their past projects and then pay that person. Plumbers, electricians and mechanics don't work for free, so why should designers?

"Obama Poster Contest Angers Design Community: It's 'The Opposite Of Jobs'"

link to article: tiny.cc/13qxr

I'd like the hold a contest for interior designers to come into my living room and deal with my lack of seating for guests situation. The winner gets to put a picture of my beautiful new living room on their website. I think I may hold a similar one for the backyard. The hurricane killed a lot of the plants.

In other news...I changed the type of job I was looking for. The holidays are coming up and we could definitely use the extra cash. In doing that (going from just graphic design to data entry/retail) I had one over the phone interview today for a job I applied to yesterday AND I just got off the phone with another employer and have set up an interview for Monday. I'm trying to stay cool about this and assume that I won't get either. But small, tiny, hopeful yay! :)

And another rant? Just from what I've seen on some of the threads in this forum? Being an artist is a job. It's a job, not a hobby, you can do well in it if you work hard at it - just like with any other job ever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

33 months ago

Yeah but what happens when this so-called 'job' brings in very little income and you still have bills to pay and kids to feed?

By changing your job search from graphic design to data entry/retail are you accepting that GD is more of a side hobby than a career????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

IslandStyle said: Yeah but what happens when this so-called 'job' brings in very little income and you still have bills to pay and kids to feed?

By changing your job search from graphic design to data entry/retail are you accepting that GD is more of a side hobby than a career????

Believe it or not you can be married and not have children. We have none as of right now - it is hard to conceive when you have type one diabetes, thank you very much. The amount that was brought up in one interview - 12.00 - is more than enough. We're doing okay now, but have little wiggle room. We need some room to wiggle since the holidays are coming up and we are planning on flying back south to visit family. My husband, who is currently supporting us, works as an artist with a video game company. Amazing how that can pretty much support two people being a 'fake job' and all, huh?

I'm still going to be studying graphic design and 3D design while working full time. Before we moved up here from Florida I was in a program for GD - I didn't get to finish. Thus, as of yet, I am not qualified for a lot of graphic design jobs. I need to learn more HTML and Maya. I'm in no way saying it is "hobby" (unlike a manly job like truck driving, righto?). I'm saying that I still have a lot to learn in order to be viable in that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

33 months ago

FrankenSense,

I buy a lotto ticket twice a week and if I strike the jackpot I will write you a check to ensure you finish school and have more than enough wiggle room to start your business. I'm not kidding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts

33 months ago

I bet I'm the only 30 year old Master's degree holder folding clothes, today...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

IslandStyle said: FrankenSense,

I buy a lotto ticket twice a week and if I strike the jackpot I will write you a check to ensure you finish school and have more than enough wiggle room to start your business. I'm not kidding.

Why thank you, IslandStyle, that is sweet of you to say. :) If that did happen, though, I'd ask you to put it into a scholarship fund for young students in your area who are studying graphic design. I'm nearly done in my classes and don't need a lot of financial help anymore. I worked 40 hour weeks for 3.5 years worth of schooling, a new laptop that is fast enough to run the adobe suite and a graphics tablet. No debt! Woo! The next steps are on my shoulders - take a couple more classes in web design, continue learning maya (found a great free program online!) and work to bring the wiggle room money in.

I'm so close I can taste it! And these jobs will get me out of the house (the cat, despite popular belief, is not the best conversationalist. Even if she is darn cute. The only word she knows is "Mow") and get us home for the holidays. Hopefully one of them will hire me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

NOYB in Chesterfield, Missouri

33 months ago

Is anyone else seeing (for lack of better words) lame job postings from care.com show up in their searches? I would imagine most people who are are looking for employment are seeking REAL jobs that actually pay more than than the majority of the junk I see from this site. I mean come on we're not looking to babysit your precious little guy or walk your dog....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Not specific to Care.com, but someone suggested I should consider getting a nanny or babysitting job. I had to keep from rolling my eyes at her.

There are some people who are great at that, but I'm not one of those people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

sighing in Southern, New Jersey said: There is nothing here, either. Sundays used to have a decent amount of ads, and now there is one page in my local people. I have not sent a resume in about 2 weeks. I try to "stretch" my experience to fit other jobs, but I cannot even find anything that is close to my background and degree. I am so thankful for my temp job, but when that ends, back to this stress and sadness.

I know what you mean. Up until ten years ago, I used to check the job ads in the Sunday Inquirer, the News of Delaware County, the Sunday Delaware County Times, the Main Line Times, and the Suburban (another Main Line local weekly).

Now everything's on the Internet. And as far as job ads go, they're either in health care, high tech, or education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

To add to my previous thought: The same person asked if I was enjoying my "vacation." Yeah, nice vacation. One where I collect unemployment checks and can't have a proper social life because I'm dead broke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I've heard that one before. My neighbor told me to enjoy my time off. How can I enjoy it if I'm worrying about money? What a stupid thing to say. Of course her husband makes over $100k a year and she retired at 52 years old. Some people just don't understand that we didn't choose to be off of work. It really does affect your self esteem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geroge in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

33 months ago

Well you have quality time to spend with your kids....

that is more important than making $100,000 a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Geroge in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Well you have quality time to spend with your kids....

What kids?

No kids, no man, just me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdigitty in Ajax, Ontario

33 months ago

I'm so sick of recruiters "playing me" to give their client some variety in candidates. They pump you up and tell you that you've got the right skills, competency and educational background just to keep you interested in the position even though they know damn well they're banking on another candidate.

My last interview was with a large multinational firm who was undertaking a 5 billion dollar contract with a delivery window of 10 years. Perfect ! Long-Term employment !

So, I show up for the interview 30 minutes early(because they wanted me to sign off on some Health and Safety video) and then have to wait an additional 45 minutes while the receptionist frantically tries to locate "Bill". Phone, Blackberry, Email, floor walking.. couldn't locate him.

Then he magically shows up.. no apology, of course.
I try to make small-talk on the way to his office, but he shuts that down quickly.
Once in his office, he looks at my resume, leans back in his chair and says, "you've only worked in IT, we're a construction firm"
So, I defuse that bomb with some crap about transferable skills and how I use my IT background to my advantage.
Next comment from Bill, "no offense to your previous employers, but you've never worked on a project as large as this, have you?"
ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME, WHO HAS OUTSIDE OF THIS COMPANY !?!?
I tried to down-play this by asking if the 5 billion dollar budget was only for labor-spend. (I'm a workforce planner) Maybe I pissed him off here, I don't know..

The rest of the interview, I felt like I was back-peddling and trying to defend my skills and corporate worth while the retard tries to talk to me like some junior-clerk about the phases of project delivery. I left feeling that it was a complete waste of time.. which was confirmed two weeks later.

I blame this experience on the recruiter, who contacted me for this position when they knew damn well they had a better fit than me for this jerk</rant>

33 months ago

Geroge in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Well you have quality time to spend with your kids....

that is more important than making $100,000 a year.

No kids for me either. I don't want any. Too old for that anyway.

If I could make even $30,000 a year, I'd still be happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Hotdigitty: He would probably be a jerk to work for. He saw your resume before you got there so why did he waste your time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.