Switching careers at 37, what to go for? help please.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

solchitlins in Commerce Township, Michigan

54 months ago

Former Chef/Restaurant manager here in Michigan. My parent's and I owned a restaurant/bar for years and years but my heart isn't in it anymore and all those years of working for my parents don't add up to squat to corporate America anyways. Even if I could find a job in my field I would have to start over at the bottom and work my way back up the ladder. Heartbreaking.

So what career paths are still viable? Anything still look like a good shot with 2 to 4 years of schooling?
I'm currently changing careers at 37 years of age. I'm going to Baker college here in Auburn Hills Michigan. I'm studying computer lan security but I don't see where it's going to land me a job especially with just an associates degree, so I'm looking at more years of college and many certificates before I get a job. :(

I rather find something decent that I can make a living at and be employed asap.
Any suggestions?
My college offers: Polysomnographic Technologist, Orthotic/Prosthetic Technology, Radiologic Technologist, Phlebotomy tech, vascular ultrasound tech, sonography , nursing, etc..... as well as IT, Networking, Cisco etc...

I know that I could do the class room Radiology part but then there's the waiting list with the "only top 18 students" emitted into the hospital training part.
so confused, just want a decent job so I can get on with enjoying my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Property Management Professional in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

I worked in the restaurant business for years and then went to become a property manager and I love my career. Stressfull at times, but the pay is good and every day is something new if you like a lot of diversity, challenges, and unlimited potential, and want enjoy real estate. It just depends on what path you want to take. The education is fast, but you have to maintain yourself and be proactive.

If you like medicine, go into resperatory therapy. This pays big bucks and you don't have to get messy like the rest of the staff in the hospital. I only know this because I used to work at hospital as a rehab tech and worked side by side with nurses and doctors who would always complain how the RT had a cake job. My 2 cents good luck.

Jab44 in Fort Morgan, Colorado

54 months ago

I know how it feels, all I could say it pick one of those and roll with it and see if that's what you want to get into. Even though I'm a lot younger than you, I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm in my last semester in a exercise science program. Only to realize that I don't think stuff is for me, and I have lost my desire for this type of study. Now it looks like I'll have to ride out the rest of the semester, and then take some other classes to find a another interest. Sounds like you have an interest in computers, I do to and I'm currently looking into this, but how about getting A+ certified? It wouldn't take that long, and it could put you into some entry level IT jobs, doesn't sound like much but I hear the pay is decent. Good Luck.

rguarante in Spring Hill, Florida

54 months ago

TRY WORKING IN LAWENFORCEMENT. DID IT WHEN I WAS 36 YEARS OLD AND NOW I'M RETIRED. AT 57. GOOD PAY AND BENIFITS.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.