Take a hard earned new job or stay with my current company? I need to decide pretty soon

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

EmJay12 in BFE, South Dakota

22 months ago

So I have been agonizing over a decision to take a new job. I thought it would be easy. I went through a beast of an interview process (around 10 hours, including presentations and a lot of one on one interviews). When they called and offered the position to me I wasn't happy/excited/enthused anything. I hate my current job. Mostly, because it is sales. Although I do a very good job. I have had two doctors tell me I just need to quit my job because it is affecting my health. I like the people I work with, but I could care less about and don't retain knowledge well on the product I represent. Again, I still do a very good job. ( I like people and I make sure they know they can trust me)
At the new position, things would be similar although the product would be more easy to be an expert on. On the downside I would work out of home and will possibly be spending more nights away from home. I like having co-workers and am apprehensive about never seeing anyone but customers/clients. Positives: better pay, better benefits, more time off, and health insurance. My current company offers H.I. but it is awful so I buy my own. I don't like sales, but I've been doing it long enough that they are the only jobs I get offered. I could go back to school? (creating a hardship) Taking classes during either job would be hard, although the new position would offer a little more flexibility.

Is the increase in pay and benefits worth taking another job in a field that causes me a lot of stress? Although, I don't know that this new position will. Should I be straight forward with the offering company, and ask for a track into something other than sales down the road? If I could know that I would go into this new position with a goal and a reason to work hard every day. But, I feel it would be unprofessional to ask for since they just hired me for a sales job.

All thoughts, comments, mean spirited rants :( [hopefully none], and opinions will be read.

Thank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

For someone who hates being in sales, you went through a lot to land that job. If you think the new company might offer opportunities to move into another department, and your current employer does not, then you should make the move. What is it that you want to do? Do you have experience/education in some other area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

EmJay12 in BFE, South Dakota

22 months ago

My current employer has nowhere for me to go. Staying where I am as long as I am there. The new employer is a large international company ~180,000 employees. So there are other opportunities, do you think it is acceptable for me to ask them about (in time, like 3-4 years) transitioning into a different department before I accept the position?

My degree is in Business Administration with a minor in Marketing and one in Advertising. I love technology, I look at tech websites all day and night. Can't get enough tech news. People come to me when they buy phones, computers, TV's and such. I think a tech sales position would be great. But they are few and far between in South Dakota. I have applied for some though. K-12 educational sales for a computer company, government sales for an internet web app company, or any kind of tech analyst or tech position where knowledge of what is going on is useful (because I know and do that anyways).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

Well, now it sounds as if those opportunities will likely be there with the new company. But I wouldn't broach the subject until you are in the door and past your probationary period. Once you get settled you'll be an internal candidate for other jobs which always helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

Do it. Early in my career I made a jump to a job I didn't really think I wanted, but it paid well and was at an enormous company. I stayed there for 10 years and held 3 different positions in that time. There was opportunity for me to move to different areas and learn new skills. I'm glad I'm no longer there, but going there in the first place was one of my smarter moves.

michael in Paris, France

22 months ago

Def go for it. A change will do you some good.. And if you don't like it, you can always look for another job. You don't want to look back in 10 years and say "what if I took that job?" The point is, you try it out, if it doesn't meet your fancy, then get another job. It would be different if you loved your current job but you don't. And working with a larger company will already make a world of difference.

KA2 in Sydney

22 months ago

Being such a large international company, should offer a lot of opportunities & training that you probably wouldn't get at your current company.

What you may find is that the ways they do things are probably different than the way they are done at your current company, including sales. So, you may like the way they do sales. It could be a more relaxed approach, where you might only manage current customers... etc.

I would go for the new offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.