Taking time off work to go to an interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

my advice in Aurora, Illinois

31 months ago

Hi guys,

I am currently employed working full-time (9 to 6, lately many days working over-time) and I am having a hard time deciding how to approach taking time off work to attend an interview. I am looking for a new job because I am moving from the suburbs to the city. The commute is long and costly (commute would be close to 2 hours each way), and unfortunately my current pay is just not worth the commute. I am willing to take my time and be selective at interviews because I do not want to risk taking too much time off from my current workplace and I do not want to be disrespectful. I recently received a call to set up in an interview while I was at work and when I called them back during my lunch break, the supervisor I spoke to wanted me to come in that day because they were going to make a decision on picking someone the very next day. I am bad at lying and didn't want to risk getting in trouble at work so I thanked the interviewer but sadly told them I had to reject the opportunity because I didn't want to be disrespectful to my current employer by not finishing my shift. I was so disappointed; I knew I could lie to my employer but I felt bad because we were busy and I couldn't leave them hanging like that.

I don't have a lot of time-off (only 14 hours) so I know if I had to go to interviews I would have to be choosy and make sure the risk doesn't outweigh the benefits (preferably by having enough days or even a week notice to take time off). What are your suggestions for taking time off work to interview without jeopardizing your current job? I know people who call in "sick" or make up some stupid excuse to leave while on their shift but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Any constructive advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Call in sick.

Do the interview over your lunch.

Take a 1/2 day for the interview.

Take a whole vacation day.

No reason to feel like you're disrespecting your current employer. You need to do what's best for you. If you're careful enough, they'll never know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.