Temp jobs scarce?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Belmonte in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I am looking for a job, and after sending off the resume, most don't even reply, as they have way too many applicants. Decided to try doing temp work. Sent remsumes to agencies and even they don't reply! Is it that hard to get even a short term temp assignment where they need someone to fill in for a maternaity leave or for surgury. Temp jobs should not be so picky with college education, as the person is not there long enough to get very involved in many duties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I've found the same. I've put in to quite a few agencies and have gotten nothing. I used to be able to get a good bit of temp work when I was first starting out in my field, but it seems it's all dried up now. Also, agency clients now apparently want to interview you and background check you before you even start a temp job. This is what one of the agencies told me. It's almost like going for a permanent job - without the pay or bennies.

34 months ago

Just looked at today's job listings in my field on Indeed.

16 job ads.

10 are from Robert Half. Two of them are the same ad run 12 hours after the first one. "BOOMING FIRM." "MEDIA TRIAL." Lies.

The other six are bad hits.

Stay away from places like Robert Half and Apple One.

Look at more specialized offices that deal with a limited field. Unfortunately, I get nothing even from them. I don't really know if it's because they have nothing or because they don't want to give me anything personally, as I have a nice gap on my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Belmonte in Chicago, Illinois said: I am looking for a job, and after sending off the resume, most don't even reply, as they have way too many applicants. Decided to try doing temp work. Sent remsumes to agencies and even they don't reply! Is it that hard to get even a short term temp assignment where they need someone to fill in for a maternaity leave or for surgury. Temp jobs should not be so picky with college education, as the person is not there long enough to get very involved in many duties.

10 - 12 years ago, I tempted and went from one assignment to the next but this is a much different job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I have done a temp to hire assignment back in 2003 I had to do the background/drug test twice. Once when starting as a temp and again when they finally decided to hire me. That was the way that the company wanted it everyone test, they started everyone that way too, only high up managers were hired direct. I don't feel that they don't offer temp jobs because you have large employment gaps, think you are the only one? They don't have anything to offer you. You would think that they would offer assignments to the ones collecting unemployment when THEY were the last employer and are paying for your benefits.

34 months ago

Back in the 90s (cough), I was able to get somewhat consistent temp work from two or three agencies between getting out of school and landing that all too hard to get first real job. Now, I haven't gotten a single call back on temp work apart from one gig I did through an agency I believe is now defunct. That was right after my last job ended. Since then...nothing.

I don't think the temp work is there any more in my field. I know I'm not the only one with a gap, but from what I've heard from agencies the employers won't even consider you for temp work through agencies if you have a gap. For some reason, I get calls back on resumes submitted directly for permanent jobs. Figure that one out.

The landscape has totally changed.

DifficultEco in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

I understand that Europe is economically freezing, it is sad to see the same with the job market in America, based on job search experience and what others are writing in the posting...
el'Merk tried to fix too many things all at once last year, and you get the name by switching the prefix and the suffix :)

DifficultEco in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

I understand that Europe is economically freezing, it is sad to see the same with the job market in America, based on job search experience and what others are writing in the posting...
el'Merk tried to fix too many things all at once last year, and you get the name by switching the prefix and the suffix :)

Motor City in Farmington Hills, Michigan

34 months ago

If an agency cannot offer short term jobs then how do they survive? I really would like to know. They have nice offices and expenses, and they cannot pay the bills with mining resumes for leads. When they do have something it is always temp to hire, another lie. Then the agency calls you at 6pm telling you that the client no longer needs you to come back, you left a unfinished spreadsheet that you are leaving for someone else to figure out where you left off. They tell me not to come back, I will not call the client and tell them what needs to be done and what is finished. That is for them to figure out, since they slapped me in the face.

34 months ago

I really don't know how agencies survive. It seems all they do is post ads, collect resumes and get people to sign up. They must land something every once in awhile to stay in business. I imagine they pay their people nothing unless they land a client. It must be a revolving door as to staff working at these agencies.

Sal in Salt Lake City, Utah

34 months ago

They must have very high rates that they charge clients. The candidate gets a low amount and the agency could get the same amount and all they did was place a few phone calls to arrange the interview, put the candidate in front of a computer for an hour, and the longer the poor slave works for the client to more $ the agency gets. The client is the one that provides the income, and they have to have deep pockets.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Temp agencies are not the same as they were back in the 1980's. Back then, you could simply call up an agency, make an appointment, go right in and register. Of course, they would still ask you what your background is before they bring you in. Back them, temp jobs were simply to fill in for people who were either on vacation, out sick, out on maternity leave, and so forth. They would call you, and if you accepted, they would send you right to the company.

Nowadays, they want to see your resume first. Even if they call you, they will do a telephone screening first. Then if you qualify, they will send your resume over to the client company. If the company is interested, they will contact the temp agency, and then the temp agency gets back to you.

I might be wrong, but I don't think they call them temp assignments anymore. They call them "long-term temp" or even "temp-to-hire" assignments. This way, if the company likes you, they'll hire you on. It saves them money in the long run. I only know of two companies here in the Philadelphia area that bring people in through the staffing agencies.

Like I said earlier, staffing agencies have become the outsourced Human Resources departments for these companies. Personally, I think that it's a cost-saving measure. This way, the company doesn't have to pay for any benefits and so forth.

I haven't done any temp assignments in the last ten years. Since I'm on SSDI, I cannot work full-time. I can only work part-time, and I clearly let them know about this. Unfortunately, most staffing agencies very rarely get part-time jobs in. Therefore, I tell them that I'm better off going directly to the companies instead.

34 months ago

I agree with mostly everybody on here. Temp agencies are posting nothing but fake job openings. In fact, the same ones are always posting the same jobs. In fact, here in the Philadelphia area, several staffing agencies have the same job openings at thee same companies. They are mainly telemarketing and market research jobs, and I can tell that they have high turnover.

34 months ago

I actually never see temp jobs posted online. I believe the agencies have to keep stocked in case clients call asking for temps. It would be much too late if they were to advertise temp jobs after the client called because some other agency would swoop in on it.

As far as I can see, there are no temp opportunities in my field here at the moment. This work was abundant back in the 90s. I'd go back to it to fill the gap, but it just doesn't appear to be there anymore.

34 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I actually never see temp jobs posted online. I believe the agencies have to keep stocked in case clients call asking for temps. It would be much too late if they were to advertise temp jobs after the client called because some other agency would swoop in on it.

As far as I can see, there are no temp opportunities in my field here at the moment. This work was abundant back in the 90s. I'd go back to it to fill the gap, but it just doesn't appear to be there anymore.

There were also plenty of them back in the 80's as well; especially the clerical and secretarial jobs. Nowadays, the clerical jobs are disappearing due to automation. In fact, just a few months ago, I was talking with some guy at the library about my job situation. He said that I was "technologically unemployed", and I agree with him. The managers today are doing their own clerical work. And I have been to a few companies where they don't even have a receptionist.

I hate to say it but the job market today is mainly nothing but health care, health care, and more health care.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.