Thank you letters: Who did I talk to?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

27 months ago

I often get interviewed by a large team of gazillions. OK, 6 or 7. When the interview is a phone interview, it can be difficult to get a list of all the names of the people that participated, and even more difficult to get the correct spellings. How does one go about sending thank-you letters when one doesn't know the names of all the interviewers?

If the interview is set up by an HR person or an administrative person, I normally contact them. But sometimes the interview is set up by the hiring manager. Is it OK to bother the hiring manager for this information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

I don't know what to tell you except that a thank you letter isn't going to be the determining factor in the hiring process. I suppose sending one can't hurt. But if you don't have a name, I don't see much point. I wouldn't go calling HR to get the names. That's a bit much.

I just interviewed with two people, one whose name I instantly forgot and the other whose email I have. If I send out a thank you, which remains to be seen, it will only go to the one person whose email I have.

Also, down in Texas, they bake cakes and send them instead of sending the thank you letter. Those wacky cowboys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:
Also, down in Texas, they bake cakes and send them instead of sending the thank you letter. Those wacky cowboys.

No, no, no, we deliver them in person! Big difference. It gives us a chance to reiterate a few key points, show our continuing interest in the job and be remembered. LOL!

Emails just end up in the spam folder along with the ads for erectile dysfunction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

27 months ago

It must be a Texas sheet cake then.

jenab in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

Jeff, reach out to your contact to get the names and the proper spellings. At the very worst they won't share all the names, but even if they keep those confidential, you've just demonstrated you aren't just going through the motions.

And send the Thank You notes to everyone you interviewed with or spoke with ASAP. That is unless you don't want the job.

People don't hire resumes, they hire people. They showed enough interest in you to interview you, take the time to follow up with them with a basic courtesy (just make it a note or card not a letter). If nothing else, you've separated yourself from the crowd. Not sending a thank you note after an interview is just lazy.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.