Third Interview done, Waiting impatiently when should I contact

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

25 months ago

Hey guys,

I had my third interview for a position with the VP and manager and I am really excited about on Friday. It went extremely well and they were surprised on the ideas and strategies I recommended. I was told they will call Friday afternoon (didnt call) or Monday.

I am very nervous and anxious, when do you think I should call and enquire say today evening?

I havent been this nervous but dont want to seem very anxious with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Pickering, Ontario

25 months ago

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
Keep active in your search and know that no amount of follow-up will steer their decision one way or another.

I've had so many interviews that I would have bet the farm on I was going to get only to get the (unwarranted) silent treatment afterwards from their recruitment team.

If they call, great.. but don't sit by the phone waiting; it's very self-defeating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Hotdiggity in Pickering, Ontario said: Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
Keep active in your search and know that no amount of follow-up will steer their decision one way or another.

I've had so many interviews that I would have bet the farm on I was going to get only to get the (unwarranted) silent treatment afterwards from their recruitment team.

If they call, great.. but don't sit by the phone waiting; it's very self-defeating.

I agree 100%. Never wait on an outcome. Keep applying. Keep interviewing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

Thank you guys for your replies, its almost 5PM so I dont expect them to call.
Do you think I could call them tomorrow to ask on the status?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Hotdiggity in Pickering, Ontario said: Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
Keep active in your search and know that no amount of follow-up will steer their decision one way or another.

I've had so many interviews that I would have bet the farm on I was going to get only to get the (unwarranted) silent treatment afterwards from their recruitment team.

If they call, great.. but don't sit by the phone waiting; it's very self-defeating.

I too had a really good interview some 10 days ago. Haven't heard a thing since. I'm not shocked, given how common this is with my fellow unemployed buddies here. There is no point in even allowing myself to take it personal. At this point, I fully expect this behavior from companies. Sad, huh? I am convinced that when you reach a certain age, you are occasionally brought in for a casual interview, just so they can say they don't just interview the 30 something demographic. I'm kinda the token "older" candidate...I think. I can almost picture the hiring crew....."Bring her in for an interview. We don't even need to hire ANYONE right now."

Whatever your age or how confident you feel, do NOT stop interviewing until you are hired and put on the payroll. This is something alot of us have found out the hard way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: Thank you guys for your replies, its almost 5PM so I dont expect them to call.
Do you think I could call them tomorrow to ask on the status?

Thank you

I wouldn't. Not too long ago, it was customary to at least call and ask. Now a days, most hiring managers won't even take your call or answer an email. It's a subtle rejection you may not want to set yourself up with.

Bottom line.....hiring managers WILL contact the people they want to continue with.

I do agree that it shouldn't be much to ask one's status, but I am yet to hear anyone here on the boards recite a story of calling after an interview and suddenly getting a positive response.

Good luck with it all. It's a very tiring and frustrating process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

Thank you for your reply, I wish they would call or email to say that I havent got the position considering the fact that I went there three times for an interview.

I will still call them tomorrow morning, I will update once I finish my call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: Thank you for your reply, I wish they would call or email to say that I havent got the position considering the fact that I went there three times for an interview.

I will still call them tomorrow morning, I will update once I finish my call.

I use to call to find out "wut up" but not anymore. I also don't expect any kind of common courtesy either. Once in awhile, I will get a Dear John email telling me that someone whose background was a better fit was chosen but not very often.

Behind all the emailing, the voice mails and the navel gazing, be sure to put your own time limit on it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: Thank you for your reply, I wish they would call or email to say that I havent got the position considering the fact that I went there three times for an interview.

I will still call them tomorrow morning, I will update once I finish my call.

I hope you get some good news, despite the experiences alot of us are recalling. Please do let us know. I am always looking for a little hope myself :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I use to call to find out "wut up" but not anymore.

I think if you are a high level executive making well over 100k then it's acceptable to call from the viewpoint of the company. But not the rank and file employees which are the majority of hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

So I called them but no reply so I have emailed them ( I dont think they will bother reply). I think I have given up on my application now. I am going to a networking event this company is also a host, I told them during the first interview that I will be attending do you guys think I should still go or cancel.

It would be a great opportunity to network with professional but do you think it would be awkward

Thank you all for your replies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: So I called them but no reply so I have emailed them ( I dont think they will bother reply). I think I have given up on my application now. I am going to a networking event this company is also a host, I told them during the first interview that I will be attending do you guys think I should still go or cancel.

It would be a great opportunity to network with professional but do you think it would be awkward

Thank you all for your replies

I'm sorry to hear, but not surprised. Go to the networking event, only if you sincerely can deal with not making anymore contact with this employer you were hoping to hear back from. I sure know the disappointment. Hang tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

I am just disappointed that there was no courtesy after three rounds of interview. Will definitely be professional if I bump into the VP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

24 months ago

I think follow-up calls, in the sense that they are part of the sales process, matter. They matter for at least one reason, if they are going in a different direction, the sooner you know that, the better.

I really think no one gives a F about potential hires, or really anyone, anymore. It's probably always been that way but I want to think it was better. Now, you are just a commodity.

A long time ago I used to believe in "The Search Of Excellence" philosophy as being a cool concept. I'm an idealist at heart. That was before many of the companies in the book failed, that being a team player is really just a way for a company to wiggle free work out of you, and we found out that he jacked up some of his research.

With age comes great cynicism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: I am just disappointed that there was no courtesy after three rounds of interview. Will definitely be professional if I bump into the VP.

Much agreed! Interviews are stressful and time consuming at the very least. It's not like a company actually interviews hundreds of people for the same job. It means you were selected to be part of a small group. By the third one in, it is just plain cowardly and lame to not at least send out an email.

I too have been waiting after 2 interviews. It's been over 10 days. I know if they were interested, I would have heard something since they made it a point to say that they would be pretty much making the final decision by Tuesday of last week.

So on I go, applying like normal except each time I am fighting more and more to not sound cynical on my cover letters or that place they give you on an application to describe why you think you are the best candidate for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

Its definitely time consuming and very stressful and me being a new graduate I feel I am loosing time and its just adding to the stress. I am sorry to hear about your situation "Unhappilyunemployed" and you are right to say they are being cowardly I hope you are able to get some thing stable soon.

We just have to keep us high and motivated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

draxz1289 in Toronto, Ontario said: Its definitely time consuming and very stressful and me being a new graduate I feel I am loosing time and its just adding to the stress. I am sorry to hear about your situation "Unhappilyunemployed" and you are right to say they are being cowardly I hope you are able to get some thing stable soon.

We just have to keep us high and motivated

Agreed Draxz. I come here to vent and then I do what I do best, pick myself up and keep pushing forward. But some days are harder than others. I too hope you get a break. You made it through the third round. Be proud of that. I think sometimes when we don't get the job, we may have just dodged a bullet that we couldn't see. I tell myself that anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I think follow-up calls, in the sense that they are part of the sales process, matter. They matter for at least one reason, if they are going in a different direction, the sooner you know that, the better.

I really think no one gives a F about potential hires, or really anyone, anymore. It's probably always been that way but I want to think it was better. Now, you are just a commodity.

A long time ago I used to believe in "The Search Of Excellence" philosophy as being a cool concept. I'm an idealist at heart. That was before many of the companies in the book failed, that being a team player is really just a way for a company to wiggle free work out of you, and we found out that he jacked up some of his research.

With age comes great cynicism.

If the only name at the top of your Performance Review is yours you can call youself a team or a can of peas for all anyone cares. Its just corporate BS.

The last company that I worked for didn't even use the term "team". They thought it was sooooo 80's and besides everybody was from someplace else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

24 months ago

I just did a follow up on 3 positions I applied to over a week or so ago. I usually do follow ups as my mama and daddy come from a generation where they did that sort of thing. I never get a response in spite of leaving a voice message. One time I did get a response, but only after I had called the woman 4 or 5 times. I'm thinking if I called you once, wouldn't it behoove you to respond back, if I am leaving you a message? I'm leaving you a message. Some of them like to pretend they are so bogged down and busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I just did a follow up on 3 positions I applied to over a week or so ago. I usually do follow ups as my mama and daddy come from a generation where they did that sort of thing. I never get a response in spite of leaving a voice message. One time I did get a response, but only after I had called the woman 4 or 5 times. I'm thinking if I called you once, wouldn't it behoove you to respond back, if I am leaving you a message? I'm leaving you a message. Some of them like to pretend they are so bogged down and busy.

They are just plain rude! No excuse in my book and it says alot about how a company is run. I hope there will come a time where enough people that are out of work or grossly under employed will set the tone on how they are treated. The economy can't stay bad forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.