Time for a Career Change?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Alex in New York, New York

23 months ago

I've been a graphic designer for over 13 years now, and I've grown quite dishearten with my career as I've never made it to the Art Director level. Recently, I started throwing around the idea of a career change. I've been at my current job for 5 years, working in the Creative Services department of a medical company. For the past two years, I've been sending out resumes without a single reply. After speaking with my boss recently, there's no prospect for me to get a promotion to Art Director at my current job. It's mainly because the position doesn't exist.

Over the past year I've also been freelancing to rescue my creativity from atrophy, learn new software and further build my portfolio. However, freelancing is getting a bit tiring as I feel I'm working 2 jobs now. I'm proficient in Web Design, Print Design and Photography. I don't believe I suck at what I do, but the fact that I can't land an interview has me starting to believe that.

I've been thinking about a career change lately, but I don't know how practical it is in this economy, or how to go about it. Graphic Design has long been my passion, and I don't want to quit, but I'm in need of change. I'm quite proficient in computers and I can trouble shoot and solve most any hardware, software, or network issue. In fact, the IT Techs at work have even asked me for computer advice, and I've solved several of their pending issues since I've been working here. The problems with pursuing a computer career is that I don't have any formal training beyond the two years of CS I took in College before switching to Graphic Design. I never found my lover for Computer Programming as I did with Graphic Design. Should I switch careers? Do I need to go back to school for a IT Tech / Help Desk job, or am I just a few certifications away? Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

Alex in New York, New York said: I never found my lover for Computer Programming as I did with Graphic Design. Should I switch careers? Do I need to go back to school for a IT Tech / Help Desk job, or am I just a few certifications away? Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Before making any changes, do your due diligence. What's the local market? Look at the Trends page here on Indeed to see the specific skills in demand.

You might want to look into the market for User Experience (UX). I'm sure you've seen badly designed websites and the growing trend (and market) in mobile design requires good design skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joshua07 in Philippines

23 months ago

Before you change your career you must know the answer to these question. Is your salary doesn't increase or not fit to you, is there any opportunity outside. if you know the answers to these question then you are ready to change your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in New York, New York

23 months ago

Joshua07 in Philippines said: Before you change your career you must know the answer to these question. Is your salary doesn't increase or not fit to you, is there any opportunity outside. if you know the answers to these question then you are ready to change your career.

Thank you both for the advice. I think doing some research and seeing if the market is right for a computer career is my first step. Weather or not I'd like to switch careers, I should make sure the new career I'm heading into isn't stalled by the economy as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.