Too many people recommending me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

THALL in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

I used to work at company "X" - I worked hard & was well liked for almost 5 years there. I moved to company Y about a year ago and it's not a great fit both cultural and work wise.

So I was browsing my old company's website and found a job that had interested me when I was there was posted. So I applied, I let a couple of my close contacts there know and said if you get a chance put in a good word.

Well, as expected word has got around the office back there and now I have multiple people e-mailing me telling me they talked to the hiring manager and put in a good word for me.

Here's my question - I know it's always good to have folks backing you. It obviously shows I was well liked in my time there. However, if you are the hiring manager is being told by 8-10 people about a single person a bit of over-kill? I wouldn't want it appear that I am soliciting such a thing.

What are your thoughts? Is it bad to have this many people personally recommending me for a position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

It's hard to say for sure, but it's done already so nothing you can do but wait and see.

I find it ironic though because I received an email from a grad school professor I had asked for a letter of recommendation saying she couldn't give me one, with no reason stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

It depends on the hiring manager and his motivations around filling the job. If he was hoping to fill it with his own guy, the 8-10 recommendations could piss him off and make him feel like he's being pressured. If that's the case, he probably is going to hire his own guy anyhow so I don't see the harm that can be done.

I hired someone once that was a return to the company and I received several unsolicited recommendations. I appreciated it because finding good people and checking references isn't my favorite task.

Good luck hope it works out for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said:
I find it ironic though because I received an email from a grad school professor I had asked for a letter of recommendation saying she couldn't give me one, with no reason stated.

I once had a professor tell me he never gave anyone a recommendation because he was concerned that it could impact his ability to get grants in the future if he endorsed someone who goes to a company that does something unethical. I think he was just a nut job, but food for thought.

I was recently asked for a reference from someone in my current job who is in my management chain. How does that work? Oh, hi boss from hell. I know you think I'm super busy on this BS project you gave me that serves no value other than fueling your pissing contest with your peer. But guess what? I've been applying to new jobs all day! And last week when I was sick, I was really at an interview. Now can I have you sign this letter for me? Okthanksbye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I

I was recently asked for a reference from someone in my current job who is in my management chain. How does that work? Oh, hi boss from hell. I know you think I'm super busy on this BS project you gave me that serves no value other than fueling your pissing contest with your peer. But guess what? I've been applying to new jobs all day! And last week when I was sick, I was really at an interview. Now can I have you sign this letter for me? Okthanksbye.

Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I once had a professor tell me he never gave anyone a recommendation because he was concerned that it could impact his ability to get grants in the future if he endorsed someone who goes to a company that does something unethical. I think he was just a nut job, but food for thought.

I was recently asked for a reference from someone in my current job who is in my management chain. How does that work? Oh, hi boss from hell. I know you think I'm super busy on this BS project you gave me that serves no value other than fueling your pissing contest with your peer. But guess what? I've been applying to new jobs all day! And last week when I was sick, I was really at an interview. Now can I have you sign this letter for me? Okthanksbye.

I have a professor in my family and he is forever writing recommendations for people. I have never heard of it being a problem. If anything, he feels bad if he has any delay in writing them out.

I too have been asked by many people in the past for a reference and I would never think not to give it. What does it take to help someone out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I have a professor in my family and he is forever writing recommendations for people. I have never heard of it being a problem. If anything, he feels bad if he has any delay in writing them out.

I too have been asked by many people in the past for a reference and I would never think not to give it. What does it take to help someone out?

No kidding. I thought it was part of their job description.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: No kidding. I thought it was part of their job description.

He feels it is. What's the point of teaching if you don't help a student succeed out of school.

I too never heard of one not writing a recommendation. I would have a real problem with the school if someone did that to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: He feels it is. What's the point of teaching if you don't help a student succeed out of school.

I too never heard of one not writing a recommendation. I would have a real problem with the school if someone did that to me.

I was tempted to write back something smarmy, or to contact the dean, but rather than waste time, I wrote a great letter and sent it to a friend I did some volunteer work with. She will send it off.

Some days it does feel like a conspiracy to keep me unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: I was tempted to write back something smarmy, or to contact the dean, but rather than waste time, I wrote a great letter and sent it to a friend I did some volunteer work with. She will send it off.

Some days it does feel like a conspiracy to keep me unemployed.

I think that is downright awful! I know you don't want to make waves and I don't blame you there, but the dean should be notified at some point.

Not to change the subject, but I got an interview invite from a company that won't name themselves until I commit to a time. Got the email this morning. I emailed them back my time slot and I am waiting to see if this is some stupid temp agency. You know times are tough when you are now stooping to answering ads of unknown companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I think that is downright awful! I know you don't want to make waves and I don't blame you there, but the dean should be notified at some point.

Not to change the subject, but I got an interview invite from a company that won't name themselves until I commit to a time. Got the email this morning. I emailed them back my time slot and I am waiting to see if this is some stupid temp agency. You know times are tough when you are now stooping to answering ads of unknown companies.

Isn't that the sad truth...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Pickering, Ontario

14 months ago

THALL in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: What are your thoughts? Is it bad to have this many people personally recommending me for a position?

The variable here is what the hiring manager thinks of the people recommending you.
If there's one bad egg in the bunch, it's a reflection on your credibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I think that is downright awful! I know you don't want to make waves and I don't blame you there, but the dean should be notified at some point.

Not to change the subject, but I got an interview invite from a company that won't name themselves until I commit to a time. Got the email this morning. I emailed them back my time slot and I am waiting to see if this is some stupid temp agency. You know times are tough when you are now stooping to answering ads of unknown companies.

Wait until they respond and want to interview you at Starbucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

or bring you in for an interview that turns out to be a cattle call. I hate that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: or bring you in for an interview that turns out to be a cattle call. I hate that!

Oh, when I show up and I see three other people who have the same 9:00 am appointment as I do and they are all younger then me, I turn right around and go home. Yeah, been there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Oh, when I show up and I see three other people who have the same 9:00 am appointment as I do and they are all younger then me, I turn right around and go home. Yeah, been there.

I went to one a few years back that brought in 25 or 30. That's just insulting. I left pretty darn quick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: I went to one a few years back that brought in 25 or 30. That's just insulting. I left pretty darn quick.

You win. That was a cattle drive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Wait until they respond and want to interview you at Starbucks.

Ha! Actually, Starbucks may not be a bad company to work for at this point ;).

Actually, it's some sort of investment company. I have to poke around some more to see if I will go to this interview I am scheduled for. It will help me kill time while I wait for a response from the interview I did last week... Do I hear crickets? LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: or bring you in for an interview that turns out to be a cattle call. I hate that!

If I go and see that, I will be back home in a flash. I'm not that desperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Ha! Actually, Starbucks may not be a bad company to work for at this point ;).

Actually, it's some sort of investment company. I have to poke around some more to see if I will go to this interview I am scheduled for. It will help me kill time while I wait for a response from the interview I did last week... Do I hear crickets? LOL.

Took the online personality assessment for Starbucks management. Two hours of wasted time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: Took the online personality assessment for Starbucks management. Two hours of wasted time.

I didn't even qualify for the assessment so you are better off than me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: Took the online personality assessment for Starbucks management. Two hours of wasted time.

Are you serious? McDonald's now does that too. I have a young family member looking for work with little experience and he is having a heck of a time. I feel so bad for him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I didn't even qualify for the assessment so you are better off than me.

I would probably flunk it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Are you serious? McDonald's now does that too. I have a young family member looking for work with little experience and he is having a heck of a time. I feel so bad for him.

You aren't qualified I am afraid. Google McDonalds+college degree. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

THALL in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said:
What are your thoughts? Is it bad to have this many people personally recommending me for a position?

In my view, if the hiring manager is a people's manager who likes to communicate with people & likes to get feedback from employees, then he or she would probably love it.

If the hiring manager is one of those isolated managers who is not a communicator ... he or she may feel threatened by your popularity & probably won't like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: It's hard to say for sure, but it's done already so nothing you can do but wait and see.

I find it ironic though because I received an email from a grad school professor I had asked for a letter of recommendation saying she couldn't give me one, with no reason stated.

Could be that the university or college has a policy of not allowing professors to write reccomendation letters? I know some companies have strict policies against this.

One way around this could be to ask the professor for a reference letter instead.

Another option could be to ask the professor if they would be ok with a personal recommendation letter, such that it wouldn't be on the university's or college's letterhead, but would have all the professor's contact details.

I realize that both options are not as good as what you asked, but they would still be good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I have a professor in my family and he is forever writing recommendations for people. I have never heard of it being a problem. If anything, he feels bad if he has any delay in writing them out.

Aww Bless his heart :}. He sounds very sweet. I had a professor like that too, she said "why not? we all have to start somewhere!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Oh, and in answer to the OP's question, No, I highly doubt it'll hurt. It just means you have a lot of people willing to vouch for your character. It'll help, if anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

KA2 in Sydney said: In my view, if the hiring manager is a people's manager who likes to communicate with people & likes to get feedback from employees, then he or she would probably love it.

If the hiring manager is one of those isolated managers who is not a communicator ... he or she may feel threatened by your popularity & probably won't like it.

I would have to agree with this. The very qualities that should make us wonderful employees can also backfire and make us look like threats. Think of all the people that have had to resort to pulling off their hard earned degree from their resume, just so they wouldn't appear over qualified.

Can any of us win?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Aww Bless his heart :}. He sounds very sweet. I had a professor like that too, she said "why not? we all have to start somewhere!"

He's as good as they get. I never saw a man work that hard and still find time to help others. It's what the profession should be about. I'm glad you had a good one on your side when you needed one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

14 months ago

KA2 in Sydney said: Could be that the university or college has a policy of not allowing professors to write reccomendation letters? I know some companies have strict policies against this.

One way around this could be to ask the professor for a reference letter instead.

Another option could be to ask the professor if they would be ok with a personal recommendation letter, such that it wouldn't be on the university's or college's letterhead, but would have all the professor's contact details.

I realize that both options are not as good as what you asked, but they would still be good.

Great points I didn't consider. I hope this helps someone needing a reference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Great points I didn't consider. I hope this helps someone needing a reference.

I wasn't aware of this:
but earlier today someone replied to a different post that a "no reference" company policy applies to both personal & professional references (whether verbal or in writing).

So it seems any kind of reference (personal or professional) would be a violation at companies that have a "no reference" policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: He's as good as they get. I never saw a man work that hard and still find time to help others. It's what the profession should be about. I'm glad you had a good one on your side when you needed one.

I hope he is rewarded in ways he can't imagine, for his kindness and hardwork, sadly people take advantage of kind hearts like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

KA2 in Sydney said: I wasn't aware of this:
but earlier today someone replied to a different post that a "no reference" company policy applies to both personal & professional references (whether verbal or in writing).

So it seems any kind of reference (personal or professional) would be a violation at companies that have a "no reference" policy.

In the past, I've had a supervisor willing to give references but, they never responded :S. My professors in college both were willing references for me when I needed to work in education. I've just always asked people I worked with rather than supervisors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: In the past, I've had a supervisor willing to give references but, they never responded :S.

People always offer favors they don't mean. This becomes more apparent during a job search.

Seriously this world would be a much better place if people cut out the insincere gestures that they use because they are too afraid to say what they mean.
- you aren't a fit for this role. Thanks for applying.
- no, I don't want to write a letter of recommendation for you.

I don't know about you, but I get over the harsh truth much quicker than trying to figure out why I'm being ignored.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.