Training For Something New At Age 61. But What?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

gnote in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

So, here I am, unemployed for over six months. Age 61, masters degree and licensed in a health care field, plenty of energy, and good health. But, no one is hiring me, not even per diem, have an employment record of being in a job for six months and canned for no good reason, although I suspect it was really age discrimination. Even though I have a plausible cover story about being laid off, I am sure it still looks suspicious to employers.

I would be more than happy to take a training program for six months or so if it would just lead to a sure job opportunity. I have looked into college level certificate programs and then done research in fields such as medical coding,and other areas, where people go through these programs and then cannot find jobs because they wants years of experience. So, they wasted their time and money. I thought of web development, but no great aptitude there, and I think this field is a young person's game anyway. I am just looking for something to do for the next five years with some degree of flexibility, so I can also pursue my artistic interests (my artistic interests cannot generate the income I need at this time and it would take awhile to develop this), am willing to train, and, no, I am not looking towards substitute teaching or ancillary college teaching positions (not my interest at all!!!).

Is anyone here doing some kind of relatively short-term training (ie, 6-0 months) later in life, or even earlier in life, that is leading to a new career field with good opportunities?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: Is anyone here doing some kind of relatively short-term training (ie, 6-0 months) later in life, or even earlier in life, that is leading to a new career field with good opportunities?

I'm a big advocate of the idea that companies should be willing to train a worker at lower pay then scale the pay to normal over a few months. I think a lot of tech workers would jump at that and if there were really a talent shortage in IT they would be doing that. I know I would for the right tech. But from what I can tell that rarely happens and when it does they expect you to work as slave labor for years then complain about all the turnover.

I've never seen a training program that didn't screw around with you this way although I'm sure there must be some that don't.

I'm not 60, or even 50, but they're right around the corner and I have sympathy that I never had before.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: So, here I am, unemployed for over six months. Age 61, masters degree and licensed in a health care field, plenty of energy, and good health. But, no one is hiring me, not even per diem, have an employment record of being in a job for six months and canned for no good reason, although I suspect it was really age discrimination.....

Is anyone here doing some kind of relatively short-term training (ie, 6-0 months) later in life, or even earlier in life, that is leading to a new career field with good opportunities?

I too would love to know what I could do. I'm younger than you, but am experiencing all that you are experiencing. It's wide spread from where I sit.

I miss the days where I could just take some college courses to update myself and that was good enough.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

55 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I'm not 60, or even 50, but they're right around the corner and I have sympathy that I never had before.

I do to. Something is broken in this country when it comes to age, unemployed, and wages.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

Original poster here again. The day of reckoning of sorts is upon me. I recently applied for a local professional county type of job in my field and scored 100% on their assessment. I was called in for two interviews - this is a full time position with mega benefits that, working their five years, would assure me a prosperous retirement - and I followed up twice with the interviewer expressing my interest - but, since there has been no follow up in over a week from him, he said I would be hearing from him beginning of this week, I am really feeling the pain of age discrimination today. I just do not look my age,and have a relatively recent degree on my record, but later stage employment application materials require you to state your birth date. That's the problem.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

55 months ago

I think you'll find that the county just moves slow, really slow. It took me 3 months from submission to rejection for a county job and I had to email them to get the rejection.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: Original poster here again. The day of reckoning of sorts is upon me. I recently applied for a local professional county type of job in my field and scored 100% on their assessment. I was called in for two interviews - this is a full time position with mega benefits that, working their five years, would assure me a prosperous retirement - and I followed up twice with the interviewer expressing my interest - but, since there has been no follow up in over a week from him, he said I would be hearing from him beginning of this week, I am really feeling the pain of age discrimination today. I just do not look my age,and have a relatively recent degree on my record, but later stage employment application materials require you to state your birth date. That's the problem.

Well, govt is notoriously slow so that could be it.

Also, if the 2 interviews you went on were with older interviewers then you do have a good chance.

It's tough for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

55 months ago

" I just do not look my age,and have a relatively recent degree on my record"

Same here. Covered my prematurely silver hair, got a short new do. I've been told it took years off. Still unemployed. I got a nice rejection letter today. And I mean that, it was nice, and it was nice to get a rejection letter.

Most young HR or hiring people don't even bother to tell you to F off.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: Original poster here again. The day of reckoning of sorts is upon me. I recently applied for a local professional county type of job in my field and scored 100% on their assessment. I was called in for two interviews - this is a full time position with mega benefits that, working their five years, would assure me a prosperous retirement - and I followed up twice with the interviewer expressing my interest - but, since there has been no follow up in over a week from him, he said I would be hearing from him beginning of this week, I am really feeling the pain of age discrimination today. I just do not look my age,and have a relatively recent degree on my record, but later stage employment application materials require you to state your birth date. That's the problem.

County jobs have always been coveted; lot of competition. Back in the day, I use to work in downtown LA and when they had an opening for a file clerk at city hall, the line wrapped around the block.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I think you'll find that the county just moves slow, really slow. It took me 3 months from submission to rejection for a county job and I had to email them to get the rejection.

LOL!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Well, govt is notoriously slow so that could be it.

Also, if the 2 interviews you went on were with older interviewers then you do have a good chance.

It's tough for everyone.

The interviewer was in his 60's. That's a plus. But, yes, even though he said he would get back to me early the following week (meaning this week), he did initially comment how slow the County moves. Maybe his comment reflected more how fast he wanted to move on hiring, not the County's slowness. This is my first experience with government jobs.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Marianne in Peoria, Arizona

55 months ago

Hi gnote,

Not sure if you would be interested in working from home for a legitimate company but if you'd like to even consider it, please contact me. I know what it's like to be unemployed. At this company there is no age discrimination either. I spoke with a gentleman last night who was 71 and thought this business opportunity was the best thing since sliced bread! This is not a scam. I'm not allowed to leave my phone number so please email me at mlcahan@yahoo.com. If I am not available, please leave me a message with your name and number and where you're located so I don't call too late or too early! Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Concord, California

55 months ago

As to IT positions, I was listening to a local talk radio pgrm recently, while they had a guest on that was talking about foreigners and IT work. From what the guy said, companies aim for foreign workers, then bring them over here through a work visa. The worker cannot migrate to another company for higher pay, because of the visa they're under. The company saves money through them because of that, while steering clear of American workers who won't work for such low pay.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Concord, California

55 months ago

No offense "Maranne in Peoria Arizona", but I think folks should steer clear of emailing ANYONE who states they have "legit work". I once put a posting online of what type of work I'm looking for (minus any identifying info). That was last year, and I'm still "picking the scam emails out of my email scam box". :-(

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: As to IT positions, I was listening to a local talk radio pgrm recently, while they had a guest on that was talking about foreigners and IT work. From what the guy said, companies aim for foreign workers, then bring them over here through a work visa. The worker cannot migrate to another company for higher pay, because of the visa they're under. The company saves money through them because of that, while steering clear of American workers who won't work for such low pay.

This is the H1B program and its been this way for years.

Happy to say that I have talked many a kid out going into IT as a career. Its the most off-shored, in-sourced career you can have.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: No offense "Maranne in Peoria Arizona", but I think folks should steer clear of emailing ANYONE who states they have "legit work". I once put a posting online of what type of work I'm looking for (minus any identifying info). That was last year, and I'm still "picking the scam emails out of my email scam box". :-(

About once a week, someone shows up who has a "great opportunity" for us. They are usually gone the next week.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Marianne in Peoria, Arizona

55 months ago

I understand. No offense taken. Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

55 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: This is the H1B program and its been this way for years.

Happy to say that I have talked many a kid out going into IT as a career. Its the most off-shored, in-sourced career you can have.

I think this is why Tim Cook pissed me off so much. On the one hand his company is doing gymnastics worthy of a mafia money launderer, with even less shame, and on the other, hey, look at all the jobs we've created, in other countries.

A lot of these companies don't even use H1-B for a lot of it, they bring them in through subsidiaries that they set up in other countries. I don't know enough about it to detail it but think about it this way. If they're smart enough to get around tax laws, which have all kinds of people watching, they're smart enough to get around the H1-B program which seemingly has almost no enforcement.

Like I said in the other post, anything goes, at the expense of anyone, usually us.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

[QUOTE]Is anyone here doing some kind of relatively short-term training (ie, 6-9 months) later in life, or even earlier in life, that is leading to a new career field with good opportunities?

Still hoping someone(s) will reply with some training ideas for 6-9 month training that translates into a job. I have done my research in this area, and nothing seems quite right. Already mentioned the above careers; dental hygienist seems like a burn out career; dental and medical assist pay little; am hearing about adult online education jobs and certificates, but nothing much translating into job opportunities; paralegal training abounds, but where are the jobs for those w/o experience? Just reading a lot of posts here about wasted training. When you are older, you just do not have time to waste.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

55 months ago

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but..... Perhaps nobody was able to provide an answer because we don't know of any. If we did, we would likely be shouting it from the rooftops. With more people than jobs, I don't think there is any training which would be able to provide any sort of guarantee.....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but..... Perhaps nobody was able to provide an answer because we don't know of any. If we did, we would likely be shouting it from the rooftops. With more people than jobs, I don't think there is any training which would be able to provide any sort of guarantee.....

No, not harsh at all. I am very resourceful, and have not found anything. Training, maybe rewording this, with a reasonable chance of being hired. Not something like medical coding, where if you search this on this site there are posts after posts of people who have gone through training and cannot find a job.

Just putting it out there, hoping someone has some ideas.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: No, not harsh at all. I am very resourceful, and have not found anything. Training, maybe rewording this, with a reasonable chance of being hired. Not something like medical coding, where if you search this on this site there are posts after posts of people who have gone through training and cannot find a job.

Just putting it out there, hoping someone has some ideas.

Nope. No slick answers for this one. Think about early SS. That is what most of us in this predictament are going to do.

Panama is nice this time of year. Lot of ex-pats down there too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

55 months ago

gnote in Los Angeles, California said: No, not harsh at all. I am very resourceful, and have not found anything. Training, maybe rewording this, with a reasonable chance of being hired. Not something like medical coding, where if you search this on this site there are posts after posts of people who have gone through training and cannot find a job.

Just putting it out there, hoping someone has some ideas.

Everyone is looking for the quick answer. But there is none. There's alot of those BS certificate programs out there but in the end there's no money in it and good luck finding a job afterwards.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.