Trust founder out of money and confused about job search

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

I am running out of money and have no skills, I'm in my mid thirties. I've made bunches of mistakes in life and not worked. No idea where to begin, and I have anxiety around people. I'm ultra depressed about my future, and the options. Jobs I'm qualified for I don't want. Jobs I want I'm not qualified for. I never got a degree in something that is career minded, I studied some art classes. I don't see a lot of options when the money runs out, because being homeless does not suit me. I'm seeing only two options.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Do you own a home in the LA area? You could consider downsizing and investing some money in a small business and learn how to run it.

Reply - Report abuse

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Do you own a home in the LA area? You could consider downsizing and investing some money in a small business and learn how to run it.

Thanks but, that sounds like a great way to throw what I have down a drain. Small businesses are not doing well, that much I know, another thing to be depressed about. I don't have any brilliant ideas for one anyway, or inventions, or anything else. I'm not a business person or a salesperson either. But thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Sorry to hear about your plight. Here are some of my suggestions:

You may have to take a job you don't like just to make money to live on.

See a doctor about your anxiety. If you cannot see a doctor try to read as much online about overcoming anxiety naturally.

You mentioned you took art classes. Do you still make art? If you have materials on hand could you make some art pieces and try to sell them to friends. If you have enough pieces of your art perhaps you could do an exhibit and start selling it. DO NOT go out an buy new materials, use what you have on hand.

When you exhibit your art you could network and make connections and let people know you are looking for employment. I have been to art exhibits and there are a lot of business people who buy the pieces for their offices.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

43 months ago

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks but, that sounds like a great way to throw what I have down a drain. Small businesses are not doing well, that much I know, another thing to be depressed about. I don't have any brilliant ideas for one anyway, or inventions, or anything else. I'm not a business person or a salesperson either. But thanks.

Why don't you tell us what you might be willing to do. We could be here guessing all day.

Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Well, as folks have mentioned on other threads, housing is much less expensive in other areas of the country. A home in LA that goes for a million would cost way, way less in other areas of the states.

I know this was suggested to another poster who preferred the option of jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge to leaving CA. There are nice urban areas in many parts of the country don't come close to the cost of living in LA.

Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Well, as folks have mentioned on other threads, housing is much less expensive in other areas of the country. A home in LA that goes for a million would cost way, way less in other areas of the states.

I know this was suggested to another poster who preferred the option of jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge to leaving CA. There are nice urban areas in many parts of the country don't come close to the cost of living in LA.

Much agreed. It's a process to finally accept that this economy is not going to recover any time soon for the working and middle class. The wages offered today have been rolled back to the same wages of the late eighties. This means none of us are going to have the money in our pockets that we once had and most of us just have to downsize anyway we can. It's not fair and it's not right, but it is what it is. No amount of wishing can bring it all back.

I too would never stay in a place that is expensive to live. I know it's a hassle and a half to have to give up what you are used to, but once you accept the inevitable, life gets a little more manageable.

BTW, seeing your doctor about your anxiety and depression would be the first thing I would do. They have many effective medications out there now that can really make a huge difference. Don't try and just will yourself out of this if you have been suffering for a long time. It could make a huge difference in how you feel, hence the persona you put out there in the work world. Being able to feel confident and more positive will get you started.

You are still young and could ease in with a part time job. You have resources that most of us don't even have. Use them wisely and good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Also Seasurfer, consider taking some basic office classes at your community college if you really don't want to do retail. I did that and then used temp agencies to get my experience. It was the best investment I made in myself and it pulled me out of a rut when I was forced to change careers. Like you, I had no experience, being that what I used to do was a very specialized skill that became obsolete with technology. I too had to start from the bottom, up. I ended up doing pretty well with alot of hard work and a willingness to be adaptable. Now I have only my age working against me, something you don't have to worry about right now. You can do this.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

43 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Much agreed. It's a process to finally accept that this economy is not going to recover any time soon for the working and middle class. The wages offered today have been rolled back to the same wages of the late eighties. This means none of us are going to have the money in our pockets that we once had and most of us just have to downsize anyway we can. It's not fair and it's not right, but it is what it is. No amount of wishing can bring it all back.

I too would never stay in a place that is expensive to live. I know it's a hassle and a half to have to give up what you are used to, but once you accept the inevitable, life gets a little more manageable.

BTW, seeing your doctor about your anxiety and depression would be the first thing I would do. They have many effective medications out there now that can really make a huge difference. Don't try and just will yourself out of this if you have been suffering for a long time. It could make a huge difference in how you feel, hence the persona you put out there in the work world. Being able to feel confident and more positive will get you started.

You are still young and could ease in with a part time job. You have resources that most of us don't even have. Use them wisely and good luck!

Robert Reich (Aftershock) says that we have been driving down wages for the past 30 years. There isn't going to be a recovery, at least not like the one that you are thinking of. That is a carrot on a stick and every politician's campaign promise come re-election time.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

43 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Robert Reich (Aftershock) says that we have been driving down wages for the past 30 years. There isn't going to be a recovery, at least not like the one that you are thinking of.

It's really sad. I've been looking for that solid job for about 2 yrs. I really thought after getting laid off I could get that "perfect" job. It's not going to happen. It's bout time I look more at these other type of jobs (car sales and what have you) I wouldn't have ever thought about looking at in the past. It's depressingly sad. I least I have time still to save for retirement. Clock is ticking though. Sad. I'm relaxing this weekend and then the job search gets turned up a few notches.

This is for you Blue Blue.

Her name is Blue
She's no fool.

She's a ham
but I'm no fan.

Advice is her game
it's soooo lame.

Bake them a cake
for goodness sake!!!

Here's the thing
Joe's the King.

He is Indeed
so don't be peed (Blue).

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Robert Reich (Aftershock) says that we have been driving down wages for the past 30 years. There isn't going to be a recovery, at least not like the one that you are thinking of. That is a carrot on a stick and every politician's campaign promise come re-election time.

I don't believe for a minute that a real recovery is ever going to happen. The Genie is out of the bottle. Companies now have cheap labor and are not going to readily let go of that. Healthcare has become to expensive for many companies to provide and Congress is not about to go after big insurance and big pharmaceutical companies. They contribute far too many dollars to keep these crooks in office.

The only way things could possibly break is if it gets to a point where the majority of people become uninsured and can't pay their bills. We are slowly getting there. Many hospitals are already in trouble because of all the people who can't pay for care. We need alot of major institutions to cry foul for anything to change and it's not going to happen tomorrow.

Bottom line? I'm not just scared for myself. I am scared for the working class of this country. I see this personally happening to so many friends and family, people that never went without a job.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

43 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: The only way things could possibly break is if it gets to a point where the majority of people become uninsured and can't pay their bills. We are slowly getting there.

We are still a ways off from that. However, 2030 +/- has been picked as the next real financial cliff. There will be a convergence of forces hitting at about the same time:

1. Social Security may be broke.
2. The inheritance money will have run out.
3. The Yuan may replace the Dollar as the world's currency.
4. Chinese mothers will tell their kids to finish their dinners as there are people in America that are starving.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland

43 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I don't believe for a minute that a real recovery is ever going to happen. The Genie is out of the bottle. Companies now have cheap labor and are not going to readily let go of that. Healthcare has become to expensive for many companies to provide and Congress is not about to go after big insurance and big pharmaceutical companies. They contribute far too many dollars to keep these crooks in office.

The only way things could possibly break is if it gets to a point where the majority of people become uninsured and can't pay their bills. We are slowly getting there. Many hospitals are already in trouble because of all the people who can't pay for care. We need alot of major institutions to cry foul for anything to change and it's not going to happen tomorrow.

Bottom line? I'm not just scared for myself. I am scared for the working class of this country. I see this personally happening to so many friends and family, people that never went without a job.

The wealthy in America seem to believe that they can wall themselves off in their gated communities and become insulated from the fate of the rest of us.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland

43 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Robert Reich (Aftershock) says that we have been driving down wages for the past 30 years. There isn't going to be a recovery, at least not like the one that you are thinking of. That is a carrot on a stick and every politician's campaign promise come re-election time.

The economy might recover but I doubt that the job market will. Between advances in productivity and the growing ability to offshore, I don't see that there will be the need for as many American workers as there used to be.

Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

43 months ago

Seasurfer,

How much money did you originally get from your trust fund ?

Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

43 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Also Seasurfer, consider taking some basic office classes at your community college if you really don't want to do retail.... I ended up doing pretty well with alot of hard work and a willingness to be adaptable. Now I have only my age working against me, something you don't have to worry about right now. You can do this.
Is office work an appropriate line of work for a man, if Seasurfer happens to be a man? Isn't clerical work reserved for women?

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

43 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: The economy might recover but I doubt that the job market will. Between advances in productivity and the growing ability to offshore, I don't see that there will be the need for as many American workers as there used to be.

That is Martin Ford's contention: www.thelightsinthetunnel.com/ but he takes the argument one step further: there won't be a need for as many people either.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

43 months ago

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California said: I'm seeing only two options.

so what where the 2 options you had in mind?

am surprised nobody mentioned finding an older man (if your female) to take care of you, like one of your fathers single friends?
Without skills or connections it will likely not be possible to get a job unless you have a massive stroke of good luck.
Entry Level doesn't seem to mean what it says, starting at the bottom.
With a large employment gap you will most likely be asked why and what have you been doing (that is useful and productive) and also why you want to work now so you'll either have to have a good story or have something meaningful to say other than spending your time surfing etc. Unless you're looking for a job as a Pro?

I don't see how your parents could have possibly allowed you not to work at all. I thought rich kids parents where the one's who got them the cushy jobs. Even Paris Hilton "works", I think she's got a perfume and clothes line or something.

You might write a book about your experience?

Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

43 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Seasurfer,

How much money did you originally get from your trust fund ?

why does that matter? Seems kind of a personal thing to ask anyone. Do you live on a trust fund beth?

Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

43 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: Is office work an appropriate line of work for a man, if Seasurfer happens to be a man? Isn't clerical work reserved for women?

not always.

Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

43 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: why does that matter? Seems kind of a personal thing to ask anyone. Do you live on a trust fund beth?

No, actually I had a job and paid taxes since I was 15. Mom and dad didn't give me a penny (thank god) . Clothes, car, spending money was from my pocket, they helped with college 50%.

I will get an inheritance in about 20 years but I won't burn through the money. I will still work to keep busy and have that inheritance $$$ as a safety net.

Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

43 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: Well, as folks have mentioned on other threads, housing is much less expensive in other areas of the country. A home in LA that goes for a million would cost way, way less in other areas of the states.

I was thinking the same thing. If I had enough money not to work, I'd live somewhere a lot less expensive than LA. That would make the "trust found" last longer. Funny how there was no planning for this.

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: The wealthy in America seem to believe that they can wall themselves off in their gated communities and become insulated from the fate of the rest of us.

It hits some of them. I've seen people like this...trust fund babies who inherit property and rent it out, but then the property winds up being in a bad area...or they spend it all.
So many are so out of touch. Gated communities won't protect them from the hungry hoards.

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: It hits some of them. I've seen people like this...trust fund babies who inherit property and rent it out, but then the property winds up being in a bad area...or they spend it all.
So many are so out of touch. Gated communities won't protect them from the hungry hoards.

I know a someone who married "well" and seemed to be on the top of the world. Husband never wanted her out there working while he made his money. Now that they are getting a divorce, he has managed to get a real good lawyer, hide his money, and she is broke. It's sad; she's now middle age with no career in sight and desperately needs a job. Surprise, surprise....she's finding out there's no way to even keep up that house she once enjoyed.

My point? Unless you have some great investments and family wealth, you can find yourself struggling with everyone else.

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: No, actually I had a job and paid taxes since I was 15. Mom and dad didn't give me a penny (thank god) . Clothes, car, spending money was from my pocket, they helped with college 50%.

I will get an inheritance in about 20 years but I won't burn through the money. I will still work to keep busy and have that inheritance $$$ as a safety net.

You are very blessed. I can see why you seem more upbeat than most of us here. Anyone that says, "money doesn't buy happiness," has never had to live week to week. Most people will have to work until they drop.

I have elderly relatives that actually tell me that they look forward to the end because there is no quality of life living on just social security. Mind you, these relatives grew up in hard times, started working in their teens, and NEVER lived beyond their means.

Let's face it; being born into money is a huge advantage. Being broke seldom has anything to do with being disciplined and smart.

Heck these days, people that had to live on credit just to pay a darn electric bill are now penalized if their credit is less than stellar.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

43 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: You are very blessed. I can see why you seem more upbeat than most of us here. Anyone that says, "money doesn't buy happiness," has never had to live week to week. Most people will have to work until they drop.

I have elderly relatives that actually tell me that they look forward to the end because there is no quality of life living on just social security. Mind you, these relatives grew up in hard times, started working in their teens, and NEVER lived beyond their means.

Let's face it; being born into money is a huge advantage. Being broke seldom has anything to do with being disciplined and smart.

Heck these days, people that had to live on credit just to pay a darn electric bill are now penalized if their credit is less than stellar.

The inheritance money is scheduled to run out around 2030. Just about the time SS goes belly up. Good times ahead.

Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The inheritance money is scheduled to run out around 2030. Just about the time SS goes belly up. Good times ahead.

See you in the "soup line". That's if Joe doesn't hog it all up.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

43 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: It hits some of them. I've seen people like this...trust fund babies who inherit property and rent it out, but then the property winds up being in a bad area...or they spend it all.

Are you and "Don'tBelieveIt" from Phoenix the same person?

Reply - Report abuse

crazyworldbutstillhopeful in New York

43 months ago

New here; first post. Been tough and had to reach out to people going through the same mess lol. Ahem, to the original poster: I've got ideas if you've got the money. Use of solar power, I believe, is and will continue to be on the rise; not just here in America, but in developing countries. I've got some countries in mind lol.

Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Wtf. what kind of game are you playing here? Who are you? Why are you trolling me/

Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

You posted my posts from on here on your stupid reddit blog. Then you go on and on about some of the posts on this forum. I read some of them, and they are vish-us.
It sounds like some very narcissism woman very selfish, self absorbed, maybe mid life woman going on about herself over and over, how great she is, and how bad the people on this forum is.
Sounds like some woman who has been dumped and hates all men.

Reply - Report abuse

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Seasurfer in Los Angeles, California said: I am running out of money and have no skills, I'm in my mid thirties. I've made bunches of mistakes in life and not worked. No idea where to begin, and I have anxiety around people. I'm ultra depressed about my future, and the options. Jobs I'm qualified for I don't want. Jobs I want I'm not qualified for. I never got a degree in something that is career minded, I studied some art classes. I don't see a lot of options when the money runs out, because being homeless does not suit me. I'm seeing only two options.

^^^^
If you got enough trust $$$ left, buy a franchise, maybe taco bell and work that and expand

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.