Trying to choose a career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 63)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey

24 months ago

In May, I graduated with my bachelors in psychology, but I don’t want a career in that field. I really don’t have any real work experience except for a summer temp job I did in a warehouse 3 years ago. I don’t have a passion for anything so it’s hard to think of a career. I do want to make a lot of money, so I’ve thought about a career in finance, but I’m horrible at accounting and statistics (I failed both courses in college).

I’ve also considered management and human resources, but I cannot find any entry level jobs in those fields. I’ve even applied for trainee programs in different fields, but I never hear back. Any ideas as to what I should do?

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to have a job in business or finance when you're horrible at math (accounting, statistics, calculus) because I am interested in hedge funds and investments. I want to relocate and am willing to move anywhere in the US for a position. I'm really lost, and in a couple months, I have to start paying back my student loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

24 months ago

I would say try to get a job doing anything right now. I know it sounds dumb, but it is what it is. I am in the same boat- stuck between a rock and hard place and I have a tendency to pick up and drop interests and passions so yea its crazy.

Maybe apply as a bank/credit union teller? Hotel jobs? Jobs with the city government? I'm just listing. Whatever you do, don't rely on a temp agency to help you. I mean use them as a resource, but yea...its tough out here. My move now is to make money doing whatever and then try to move on to some bigger job or start my own business (may be a while before the business thing takes off, but hey?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

24 months ago

Most people who make a lot of money have a passion for something, even if it's just a passion for working or a passion for climbing the corporate ladder. There aren't too many entry-level jobs in management since it's hard to be a manager unless you have some work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Problem with being a manager is every single person under you thinks they are either more deserving of or more qualified for your job than you are. It's very thankless work.

On top of that, I swear that 35-40 year old men who work for me are capable of throwing bigger tantrums than my kids. Want to go into management? Spend time with someone else's kids. Then imagine that intensified, M-F, 8-5.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Problem with being a manager is every single person under you thinks they are either more deserving of or more qualified for your job than you are. It's very thankless work.

On top of that, I swear that 35-40 year old men who work for me are capable of throwing bigger tantrums than my kids. Want to go into management? Spend time with someone else's kids. Then imagine that intensified, M-F, 8-5.

The switch side of that are the type of managers that aren't the least bit open to the ideas of their crew. I have seen some of the most positive minded people reduced to nothing but mindless cogs in a wheel because that is all a manager wanted of them. A good manager engages with his or her crew, setting the tone of making everyone feel like they have something to offer. My last manager was like this. Too bad the president of our company was not :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

When I mentioned management, I was referring to management trainee programs that don't require any experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: The switch side of that are the type of managers that aren't the least bit open to the ideas of their crew. I have seen some of the most positive minded people reduced to nothing but mindless cogs in a wheel because that is all a manager wanted of them. A good manager engages with his or her crew, setting the tone of making everyone feel like they have something to offer. My last manager was like this. Too bad the president of our company was not :(

I think the mistake many managers make is they manage, but not lead. A leader would be more focused on collaboration and sharing of ideas. Development of a team makes him/her look good. A manager is focused on actions and results. Task focused management leads to your cog-in-the-machine scenarios.

Some managers are lousy leaders.
Some leaders are lousy managers.
A very small number are good at both.
Companies are very bad at telling the difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I think the mistake many managers make is they manage, but not lead. A leader would be more focused on collaboration and sharing of ideas. Development of a team makes him/her look good. A manager is focused on actions and results. Task focused management leads to your cog-in-the-machine scenarios.

Some managers are lousy leaders.
Some leaders are lousy managers.
A very small number are good at both.
Companies are very bad at telling the difference.

I believe that most managers cave in to the company culture. They're too scared and afraid for their jobs to show any deviation from what the top bosses want.

As a result what happens is that they become robots and say and do things just to please the top bosses. I've seen it over and over again. They aren't necessarily bad people but they realize for the most part they are in a lose lose situation if they try to lead and implement unique processes. I actually always feel sorry for them.

This scenario usually plays out everyday in Fortune 500 comps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Sure, you have a degree in Psychology which right off the bat means you suck at math. You want to be a Hedge Fund manager but since you suck at math ain't gonna happen.

You want to make a lot of money but you only have a BA in Psychology and that doesn't interest you and you're asking all of this now?

What was the original plan or was there one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I was wondering what kind of jobs have trainee programs I could go for. I plan to get a masters once I get some work experience.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: In May, I graduated with my bachelors in psychology, but I don’t want a career in that field. I really don’t have any real work experience except for a summer temp job I did in a warehouse 3 years ago. I don’t have a passion for anything so it’s hard to think of a career. I do want to make a lot of money, so I’ve thought about a career in finance, but I’m horrible at accounting and statistics (I failed both courses in college).

I’ve also considered management and human resources, but I cannot find any entry level jobs in those fields. I’ve even applied for trainee programs in different fields, but I never hear back. Any ideas as to what I should do?

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to have a job in business or finance when you're horrible at math (accounting, statistics, calculus) because I am interested in hedge funds and investments. I want to relocate and am willing to move anywhere in the US for a position. I'm really lost, and in a couple months, I have to start paying back my student loans.

Listen Buckwheat,

You have to figure out what you really want to do with your life. Stop wasting time. Something you should of done before you went to college.

I presume that you are in your early twenties. The good news is that you have time. After you find out what you truly want to do, go get the job, even if it means admin assistant in a HR dept for 8 bucks an hour. It's a start.

Forget about finance your not getting in there, too late for that.

For management trainee programs you have Enterprise Rent A Car that takes recent college grads you could research that. Respectable job.

Good Luck.

Can you take back both your "no" votes that you gave me above now since I gave you the advice you were seeking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Master's? LOL!

Forget the Master's!

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Listen Buckwheat,

You have to figure out what you really want to do with your life. Stop wasting time. Something you should of done before you went to college.

I presume that you are in your early twenties. The good news is that you have time. After you find out what you truly want to do, go get the job, even if it means admin assistant in a HR dept for 8 bucks an hour. It's a start.

Ooooohtay Spankie!

24 months ago

It's not very easy trying to figure out what you want to do with your life. I've gone back and forth over careers and it's killing me because I don't have a passion for anything.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: It's not very easy trying to figure out what you want to do with your life. I've gone back and forth over careers and it's killing me because I don't have a passion for anything.

Jay,

All joking aside. Everyone has that voice inside of them that tells them what they really want in life. You too.

When you were young did you like playing cops and robbers. Did you like playing with your sister's dolls. Did you enjoy working on cars? You know what you want to do so do it? I'm not trying to be funny here.

Maybe go visit your Career Center at your college and talk to them about what you have said here????

24 months ago

The only thing I really have a passion for is listening to music. And that's being dead honest.

I went to college online so I can't really visit the career center. I can email them and see what happens though.

24 months ago

It's not easy Jay especially in this economy that's creating few jobs. I do wish you the best. Good Luck my friend.

24 months ago

I had considered a career in the music industry before, but I gave that up. Now I'm thinking that maybe the music industry is the best option for me. I want to move to Nashville, but I don't want to move and then be unemployed for months. I'm only 21 and my mom has already agreed to help me move to any state I want.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I had considered a career in the music industry before, but I gave that up. Now I'm thinking that maybe the music industry is the best option for me. I want to move to Nashville, but I don't want to move and then be unemployed for months. I'm only 21 and my mom has already agreed to help me move to any state I want.

Like you, I love listening to music. If I had a shred of talent at playing or spotting talent, I would've entered the industry in the early 90s. Thank god I didn't.

But here's the good news: you have a passion. Great! You may not parlay it into a living, but keep it as your escape. It's something to do when you are off of work. I personally run a blog for an underground scene I've been following since I was a kid. Sometimes I get my cover waved at clubs because of it. And I would never want anything more. This way, it is something I do because I want to. I went to a show 3 weeks ago and left early because of the douchebag component. It was great when I didn't have to go and blog about it.

So back to your question - I'd advise to stay away from music if its your passion. You will need an escape. I liked Joe's enterprise suggestion. It has a clear management track. I don't know if UPS does anymore, but they used to have a solid trainee program.

Good luck.

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Listen Buckwheat,

Forget about finance your not getting in there, too late for that.

For management trainee programs you have Enterprise Rent A Car that takes recent college grads you could research that. Respectable job.

Good Luck.

Can you take back both your "no" votes that you gave me above now since I gave you the advice you were seeking.

Never knew you were so sensitive about down votes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

It’s hard to offer you a useful reply because there’s so little direction in your posts: you majored in something that you don’t want to pursue, you have no strong interests, you have almost no experience in the workforce, you want money but have no idea how to get it, you considered finance but failed math, you were thinking about a management program but are now thinking about the music business, etc.

The one thing you have going for you is your youth, so here’s a suggestion: stay local, get any kind of job to start making some income and then test out some careers in your spare time by volunteering, taking a class or two (maybe mom can help with the cost), or getting a part-time job/internship/gig in places that interest you (for example, a local recording studio or radio station). This may delay your career for a bit, but it will help you to discover what you have an interest and talent in, which is good to know before going for a master’s or starting a career or relocating to Nashville. In other words, try and find some direction in life; your direction may change down the road, but it’s hard to know which way to start without any direction at all.

Good luck with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Like you, I love listening to music. If I had a shred of talent at playing or spotting talent, I would've entered the industry in the early 90s. Thank god I didn't.

But here's the good news: you have a passion. Great! You may not parlay it into a living, but keep it as your escape. It's something to do when you are off of work. I personally run a blog for an underground scene I've been following since I was a kid. Sometimes I get my cover waved at clubs because of it. And I would never want anything more. This way, it is something I do because I want to. I went to a show 3 weeks ago and left early because of the douchebag component. It was great when I didn't have to go and blog about it.

So back to your question - I'd advise to stay away from music if its your passion. You will need an escape. I liked Joe's enterprise suggestion. It has a clear management track. I don't know if UPS does anymore, but they used to have a solid trainee program.

Good luck.

I've tried the program with Enterprise and never heard back. When I was a kid I wanted to work in the music industry.

I don't understand why you'd want me to stay away from it.

24 months ago

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York said: It’s hard to offer you a useful reply because there’s so little direction in your posts: you majored in something that you don’t want to pursue, you have no strong interests, you have almost no experience in the workforce, you want money but have no idea how to get it, you considered finance but failed math, you were thinking about a management program but are now thinking about the music business, etc.

Good luck with it.

I've always thought about the music business but I pursued other careers and none of them worked out, so I'd figure I'd revisit the music business idea again.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: It's not very easy trying to figure out what you want to do with your life. I've gone back and forth over careers and it's killing me because I don't have a passion for anything.

What about a commissioned officer in the military with your degree ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I have knee problems which wouldn't even allow me to go through basic training

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I've tried the program with Enterprise and never heard back. When I was a kid I wanted to work in the music industry.

I don't understand why you'd want me to stay away from it.

First - there is no money in it.
Second - there is no stability in it.
Third - people in it are shady. They will try to pay you in drugs. I sold a small painting I did for a local band's album cover for $150. I thought he meant $150 in cash. I was mistaken. I must be spoiled by jobs where you don't need to make that distinction.
And the most important reason - a job is work. It is not fun. Don't confuse the two. You will only destroy something you love by doing it for money.

24 months ago

I have no idea where you get your facts from. There is a lot of money in the music business. And who said I'd be doing it for money? I never said that.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I have no idea where you get your facts from. There is a lot of money in the music business. And who said I'd be doing it for money? I never said that.

She is one dumb blonde, her and Beth.

Good Luck Jay!

24 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Congrats. You have won the most delusional poster award -there is often stiff competition for that honor.

I'd have to say that the honor goes to you. The music industry is a billion dollar business.

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I'd have to say that the honor goes to you. The music industry is a billion dollar business.

you'd better hope you're the next Paul McCartney or John Lennon...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I'd have to say that the honor goes to you. The music industry is a billion dollar business.

Toothpaste is a billion dollar industry. Actually, it's a tens of billions of dollars industry.

24 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: you'd better hope you're the next Paul McCartney or John Lennon...

Why is that? I never said I wanted to be an artist. I don't play an instrument nor do I sing.

24 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: Toothpaste is a billion dollar industry. Actually, it's a tens of billions of dollars industry.

Yes but no one came and said there was no money in toothpaste.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: Why is that? I never said I wanted to be an artist. I don't play an instrument nor do I sing.

what? i know you're not talking about promoting or producing... lol

24 months ago

i'm not trying to knock anyone's dreams, but good luck with that bro.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: what? i know you're not talking about promoting or producing... lol

Management. And I honestly don't see what's so funny.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: Management. And I honestly don't see what's so funny.

you don't? oh you will. acts that make it are a dime a dozen. we've already gone into the weird and ridiculous with lady gaga and nicki minaj... i can't imagine what (yes, i said 'what', these people aren't even human to me) you will discover to stupefy (the 1st definition) our minds even further.

24 months ago

There are a lot of successful artists that are not in mainstream music. I don't really care to be involved with mainstream acts, as long as I'm doing what I love and making a decent living.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: There are a lot of successful artists that are not in mainstream music. I don't really care to be involved with mainstream acts, as long as I'm doing what I love and making a decent living.

you can do what you love, but i can't promise you you'll make a decent living. anyways thanks for engaging me tonight, but it's late and i need to create my lesson plans before i go to bed.

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: There are a lot of successful artists that are not in mainstream music. I don't really care to be involved with mainstream acts, as long as I'm doing what I love and making a decent living.

And this is where you are delusional. There is NO money in indie music. You want to be a manager? Great

Do you know anyone with talent?
Do you have the contacts to get them gigs?
How about recording studio time?
So many shady little labels, which one do you know well enough to represent your act who apparently trusts you?

You have to be trolling. You've gone from wanting to go into finance with no skills to trying to convince us you can manage the next Jay-Z when your only skill is liking to listen to music, all in one evening. Thanks for keeping me occupied.

24 months ago

It's pretty evident you have absolutely no idea what you're talking. There is a lot of money in indie music.

Talent is everywhere, just gotta find it.
You don't need "contacts" to get gigs. You can send press kits to venues to book gigs, or if their music is good enough, a booking agent will work with them.
Managers don't pay for studio time.
Record labels are no longer needed like they used to be.

You have to be trolling

timeandfinancialfreedom in New Orleans, Louisiana

24 months ago

Hi Jay,

Have you thought about direct selling? You can do it on a part time basis on your spare to make some extra money. You can also do it full time.

Member43 in Angola, Indiana

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: When I mentioned management, I was referring to management trainee programs that don't require any experience.

You might look up Enterprise Rent a Car. Visit their website. I was recently offered the chance of joining their MTP...management training program.
Learning the ins and outs of the business. No experience was required of me. They hire people with B.S. degrees straight out of school.
Just a thought.
Also, look into Mendards, the home improvement store. They have a management training program for people with college degrees. I've heard they promote from within very well and treat their employees well.

24 months ago

I did enterprise but haven't heard back from any good opportunities. I applied in multiple states but the one state that did call me back (Nevada), said I needed to live there in order for them to interview me. They don't do anything over the phone.
I'm gonna look into Mendards. Thank you.

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I believe that most managers cave in to the company culture. They're too scared and afraid for their jobs to show any deviation from what the top bosses want.

As a result what happens is that they become robots and say and do things just to please the top bosses. I've seen it over and over again. They aren't necessarily bad people but they realize for the most part they are in a lose lose situation if they try to lead and implement unique processes. I actually always feel sorry for them.

This scenario usually plays out everyday in Fortune 500 comps.

I think that it's more often the case that people who have caved into the company culture become managers.

24 months ago

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland said: I think that it's more often the case that people who have caved into the company culture become managers.

It's a never-ending cycle. You want more money. The companies don't know how to pay people more money without a manager title. So you drink the koolaid. The company repays your devotion to their values by giving you the money you want. Oh and you are responsible for managing John and Bill as well. You don't want to manage, you sure dont know how to do it, so you continue forward while not nurturing John and Bill.

It plays out everyday in corporate America.

Member43 in Angola, Indiana

24 months ago

Jay in Roselle, New Jersey said: I did enterprise but haven't heard back from any good opportunities. I applied in multiple states but the one state that did call me back (Nevada), said I needed to live there in order for them to interview me. They don't do anything over the phone.
I'm gonna look into Mendards. Thank you.

That's a my bad. I started thinking of enterprise and started typing and once i was done i read posts further down the page than what i had scrolled, and discovered some others had mentioned enterprise already and that you yourself hadn't had any luck with them (enterprise).
Hopefully menards is still doing their MTP. Last i heard about it was a few months ago so i assume they are still doing it.

004aml in Fresno, California

24 months ago

Hey Jay I agree with the first reply to just get any job right now. I'm replying to you because this is exactly how I felt when I graduated college and had no clue where to go any ways I ended up getting a job in retail for min wage (I know crazy) but it made me feel better having something to do and get up in the morning but also with that experience I realized what I liked and what I hated doing, what I want from a job/life in general and what I didn't want. I ended up getting a job after at a nonprofit. Don't think about getting a job because "this is what I need to be" you'll be surprised how you're going to end up being many things with different titles in your lifetime. Good luck!

24 months ago

Thanks. I actually just received a call from an insurance company. Doing a short phone interview with them tomorrow

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.