Types of jobs for introverts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Career advice in Newton, North Carolina

29 months ago

Hello,
I am a highly introverted person who has a hard time dealing with any type of work that deals with having to talk to a lot of people. I am okay if I am around a small group if I have time to get to know them. Right now I am at a Community College and plan on transferring to a four year university in the next Spring semester. What types of careers are good for people like me? I have taken the Myers Briggs test and it said that I was a INTJ personality type. The classes that I do well in are Literature and reading based classes. I also like biology classes, but I am not good at math.

I am 20 years old right now and I'm scared of choosing a career or major that I will not enjoy. I am also having a hard time finding a job, I don't have any experience and I have noticed that even the job application questions are biased against introverted people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Talent Genie in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Career advice in Newton, North Carolina said: Hello,
I am a highly introverted person who has a hard time dealing with any type of work that deals with having to talk to a lot of people. I am okay if I am around a small group if I have time to get to know them. Right now I am at a Community College and plan on transferring to a four year university in the next Spring semester. What types of careers are good for people like me? I have taken the Myers Briggs test and it said that I was a INTJ personality type. The classes that I do well in are Literature and reading based classes. I also like biology classes, but I am not good at math.

Congrats on taking the Myers Briggs test. I am a big fan of it. You might want to get "Do What You Are" by Paul Tiegler. Any library would have this.

Then check out www.bls.gov/oco. Its a monster of a site but worth getting to know. There are many jobs for introverts but you have to be careful because many of them are easily automated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

abal in Baltimore, Maryland

28 months ago

I am a highly introverted person who has a hard time dealing with any type of work that deals with having to talk to a lot of people. I am okay if I am around a small group if I have time to get to know them.

I too am an introvert. Don't let this deter you from good job opportunities. Every profession does not require you to gab all day. If you're comfortable in small groups, fine. Not everyone is the life of the party. Those people can be annoying! I get this all the time - "You're so quiet". I feel like sometimes saying, "Well, you never shut up". Just because I don't talk to them everyday, I do talk.

You're 20 years old. Don't stress on this. Fortunately, you have the time to figure out what you want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

phoex43 in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

As an INTJ I want to try to figure out everything all at once too. Like Abal said, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. At least you have a decent idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

As for looking for a job now without much experience, you can try jobsforintroverts.net to get some ideas going in your head.

There's articles and videos that helped me to think in the right direction for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jude L in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

There are many many interesting jobs you can take up, even if you're an introvert1 Don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do. If you are good in biology and any other sciences, i think you may like getting into research and development; also, if you're good in Literature, why not try your hand at getting into the publishing industry?
best of luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

my advice in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

lab technicians such as medical lab tech or dental lab tech. medical lab techs require schooling but some dental labs train you on the job as dental lab techs. i work at a dental lab and they don't require interacting with patients or doctors, just with each other. one girl at the lab wears ear phones and listens to music all day while she works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.