Want to abandon traditional work, but need benefits and money!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Shelly in Hastings, Minnesota

52 months ago

I am against traditional work (corporate office jobs, slaving away at a factory, working multiple part time jobs making minimum wage, etc.), so I'm trying to find something that I want to do, something that doesn't feel like work. I have managed to find a few of those jobs but they don't offer benefits or enough money to survive. For example, a work exchange situation (caretaker positions, etc), even if you live there and work full time, you don't get any health insurance, vacation time, 401k, etc. I know it's a sacrifice, but come on, you're still working, why can't you get those things? Is there some company that offers that stuff to those kinds of employees? And I don't mean where you have to pay for your entire health insurance bill, anyone can do that if they have the money but you usually don't if you aren't working at a corportate job. How do those types of employees do it? I know most of the people that do those types of jobs are retirees, but that upsets me becuase I am more physically capable of doing it yet I am not collecting social security checks and getting Medicare so I can't do them. So are people like me just screwed? (I'm a 37 year old female, by the way).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Oh that's awesome that you were able to find something to do from home...everything I find are scams. It's hard to find real jobs, and ones that pay good. I've never really stopped looking but i've just had no luck so far. What exactly is your job then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

That gifting program sounds very interesting, I'd love to hear more details about that, or even just give me the website and I can research it myself. Pretty much all the work from home jobs I've seen require you to pay something first, how do you find all those ones where you don't have to pay?

52 months ago

No there was a reply, I don't know why it isn't showing up on here, but it showed up in my email notification. She told me to try this gifting program where the gift is money and you don't have to pay anything to try it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I wasn't necessarily looking for a work at home job, just a way to earn money non-traditionally, and to have benefits like health insurance. I really don't know what options there are, and I don't know the rules of this forum, i just found it 2 days ago so I'm sorry if this subject isn't supposed to be talked about in here!

52 months ago

I have to interject here. I honestly thought that what she was talking about WAS a job, a WORK from home thing, she said. I researched it on my own and it said it was legal. Maybe people who don't think it's legal haven't researched it enough. But, regardless...I don't think these comments should be deleted because I was asking for an alternate way to make money, a non-traditional job. That should be included under "career advice" because i'm seeking advice regarding a career, I just didn't know what careers were out there that would fit into what I was looking for.

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

As far as non traditional jobs go, after reading up on it, gifting programs seems to fit that requirement, but it also seems to be some sort of pyramid scheme.

But I don't think you would get any of the benefits (money to survive on, full health benefits) that you originally stated that you wanted.

But generally speaking, there is no shortcut to money, but good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

freedom88 in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Shelley have you tried one of those telecommute jobs you can do from home? There is LiveOps and other customer service type jobs that you can do from home. I feel your frustration. But there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I am horrible on the phone, I actually have some sort of a phone phobia, so I don't want to even try doing anything customer service related. I am also not looking for a free lunch, just a job that is different. I worked at a factory for 18 years, and it was miserable. I have many interests but they're all creative type things, and hard to make a living at. I don't want to work for a big corporation where you're just a number, I don't want to work at a fast food resteraunt or a Walmart or anything that is considered slave work, I want my job to not feel like a job because I WANT to do it. I live in a small town and there isn't much here but I don't have reliable transportation to drive very far, so working from home (or from a place where I can live too) would be ideal. I am just picky because I am against so many types of work, but yet I need insurance too, so that's why it's so hard for me to find something that is just right. I've been struggling with this for almost 2 years now and I'm no closer to finding something. :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.