Well,...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

As some of you know, I interviewed with a Dermatologist on the 20th. Yesterday, I get a call from them telling me that they really liked me and were considering offering me the job. They want me to come in this Monday at 9:30 so they could speak to me further. But I think there's something more to it, like a working interview, because they want me there until 3:30. Mom thinks they may have me filling out employment paperwork, but it doesn't take that long to do that. I assume a working interview so they can potentially confirm their decision to offer me the job. Anyhow, my plan is to go dressed up nicely and take scrubs with me hoping they really do end up hiring me because that would be pretty cruel to tell someone they really like you and want to offer you the job and then NOT hire you. Then again employers seem to have no problem doing crap like that given some recent experiences I've had with other employers.

Enough said about that.

My phone just rang and it was a neurology office I just interviewed at on Monday. They really like me, however, only want me on a trial run basis. They'd like me to work Tuesdays and Thursdays starting tomorrow from 10-4 for 2 weeks before making a final decision as to whether or not to hire me.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I really wish employers wouldn't beat around the bush. Either they like you and want to hire you or they don't.

Reply - Report abuse

job hunter in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I really wish employers wouldn't beat around the bush. Either they like you and want to hire you or they don't.

I agree. Its really annoying when they do that.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

My preference here would be the Dermatologist's office because it's closer to me, a nice 20 minute drive. The Neurologist's office is a 40 minute drive.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

job hunter in Brooklyn, New York said: Its really annoying when they do that.

It's even more annoying when they bring up working interviews and trial runs. I'm NOT a huge fan of those things. Even though it's experience, it's short experience so I can't really put working interviews and trial runs on my résumé. (Guess if the trial run lasted a month or longer you could.)

The thing that turns me off from working interviews and trial runs is that patients like to bond with front office staff. It's hard on patients when you're there one day, gone the next or out the door after a few weeks of having to gotten to known the face behind the desk and voice over the phone because they get used to talking to XYZ and want to continue talking to XYZ, especially older patients. Older people hate change. IMHO, it's not fair to the patients.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

53 months ago

You are really in tune with the ones who matter--the patients. I can see from what you describe that you don't just look at your field wearing the glasses of a hard & cold "business comes first" mentality.

I hope one of these works out for you.

If I was just looking at the situation from an office manager's perspective, I'd say, yeah, a working interview is the way to go. But like you pointed out, how does this help the people that support these doctor offices? It's as if the patients' comfort level doesn't factor in here.

To wrap up, it sounds like you would provide rally good service wherever you get hired. I don't know if you can afford to be choosy, but I hope so. Wishing you the best success!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

53 months ago

^really

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

You are going to rock it. Look at it this way - at least you have options!

Congrats on the part time success. Hopefully one of the two will materialize into what you are really looking for.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: If I was just looking at the situation from an office manager's perspective, I'd say, yeah, a working interview is the way to go. But like you pointed out, how does this help the people that support these doctor offices? It's as if the patients' comfort level doesn't factor in here.QUOTE]

IMHO, you hire someone. If it works out great. If not, get rid of them. That's what one chiropractic office manager as telling me when I interviewed with them a few weeks ago. With all the applicants you have in today's society, replacing someone who doesn't work out should be fairly easy. For every person who doesn't work out, you have hundreds more beating down your door for a job.

That said, if's funny you should bring up the latter part about benefiting the office as a whole and patients' comfort level. We were just discussing this and the importance of having a consistent face or faces behind the reception desk at this one sleep center I went to.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: If I was just looking at the situation from an office manager's perspective, I'd say, yeah, a working interview is the way to go. But like you pointed out, how does this help the people that support these doctor offices? It's as if the patients' comfort level doesn't factor in here.

IMHO, you hire someone. If it works out great. If not, get rid of them. That's what one chiropractic office manager as telling me when I interviewed with them a few weeks ago. With all the applicants you have in today's society, replacing someone who doesn't work out should be fairly easy. For every person who doesn't work out, you have hundreds more beating down your door for a job.

That said, if's funny you should bring up the latter part about benefiting the office as a whole and patients' comfort level. We were just discussing this and the importance of having a consistent face or faces behind the reception desk at this one sleep center I went to.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

IMHO, when you do things like working interviews and trial runs you can give patients the impression that you have high turn when you really don't have it OR you keep hiring people you can't trust and then keep letting them go. Working interviews and trial runs are risky to the employer.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Congrats on the part time success.

Actually, I believe the position at the dermatology office is a full-time position.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

53 months ago

Good luck, I hope you get the job

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Arlington Heights, Illinois

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Actually, I believe the position at the dermatology office is a full-time position.

Hope it works out :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I guess I should've asked over the phone if they plan to pay me for this trial run regardless if they hire me or not. I'll have to make sure I inquire when I go in for the first time.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I guess I should've asked over the phone if they plan to pay me for this trial run regardless if they hire me or not. I'll have to make sure I inquire when I go in for the first time.

They have to pay you, it would be illegal not to. But if it were me I would ask about signing some sort of document about it.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Even if you are just on a trial run, on a freelance basis, on a contract basis, anything, any time you work for them, the company is legally obligated to pay you for your time.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I guess I should've asked over the phone if they plan to pay me for this trial run regardless if they hire me or not. I'll have to make sure I inquire when I go in for the first time.

Tell them that the 13th Amendment was passed. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Tell them that the 13th Amendment was passed. LOL!

Lmao!

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: They have to pay you, it would be illegal not to.

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: Even if you are just on a trial run, on a freelance basis, on a contract basis, anything, any time you work for them, the company is legally obligated to pay you for your time.

You'd be surprised just how many employers want working interviews and trial runs and don't want to pay people for it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I once interviewed with a couple of Orthodontists and they wanted whoever the 2 or 3 final people they picked to do working interviews. They told me the working interview would be a day or two and would most likely be full days. When I asked them if they'd pay me for that, they said no. I then proceeded to tell them not paying someone for working interviews wasn't legal according to the Department of Labor (DOL). They seemed a little surprised and indicated they weren't adding someone they may not end up hiring on payroll just to pay them for the working interviews. I then explained that the employers who do pay usually pay with a business check or in cash. They said they'd have to think about that. In the end, I knew when leaving there was no way these Orthodontists were going to hire me. Not because I told them what I told them, but because I ended up challenging them about paying people for working interviews. Employers see that as confrontational and thus tend not to hire a person who does something like that.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I found this article:

jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/01/22/work-free-job-interview/

So it can be legal if it's truly an "interview" type situation, but if you're actually doing WORK, then they need to pay you. Asking you to work one or two full days is them trying to get free labor and bull crap.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I once interviewed with a couple of Orthodontists and they wanted whoever the 2 or 3 final people they picked to do working interviews. They told me the working interview would be a day or two and would most likely be full days. When I asked them if they'd pay me for that, they said no. I then proceeded to tell them not paying someone for working interviews wasn't legal according to the Department of Labor (DOL). They seemed a little surprised and indicated they weren't adding someone they may not end up hiring on payroll just to pay them for the working interviews. I then explained that the employers who do pay usually pay with a business check or in cash. They said they'd have to think about that. In the end, I knew when leaving there was no way these Orthodontists were going to hire me. Not because I told them what I told them, but because I ended up challenging them about paying people for working interviews. Employers see that as confrontational and thus tend not to hire a person who does something like that.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there! They sound shady.

What if you called the office tomorrow and simply explain you forget to inquire if the working interview would be paid or not? I personally would feel awkward and no good if I showed up and found out to my dismay it was not paid, lol

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: Asking you to work one or two full days is them trying to get free labor and bull crap.

The Orthodontists claimed they never really asked that of anyone before because their employees stay for many years, it's not like they really hire a lot.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: They sound shady.

A lot of small and medium sized employers try to get away with not paying people for working interviews and trial runs. If it's not a practice manager doing the interviewing and hiring, it's the practitioner. Unlike larger employers, they're HR, payroll, and everything else rolled into one in addition to their duties as practice manager or practitioner. A lot of times they're somewhat ignorant of the laws and what is and is okay. They think because they're smaller, they can get away with a lot more stuff easier and no one is really going to say anything to anyone about it since they don't know who to really go to given there is no separate HR like there is with larger employers where you can take something like this to and get it resolved or what have you.

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: I personally would feel awkward and no good if I showed up and found out to my dismay it was not paid, lol

So would I. I'll just do what I did with the Orthodontists and explain why they can't do that and why they'd have to pay me. They can take it or leave it and if I have to turn around and come home because they absolutely refuse to pay me, so be it.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: They think because they're smaller, they can get away with a lot more stuff easier and no one is really going to say anything to anyone about it since they don't know who to really go to given there is no separate HR like there is with larger employers where you can take something like this to and get it resolved or what have you.

Yeah, I recently learned the hard way about this. In my last job, my boss was a bully and there was no where to turn because he was the sole owner and manager, there was no one else. Things did not end well. This working interview stuff is actually new to me, I've never had anyone try it on me yet. Good to know just in case for the future!

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I did a working interview fairly recently in a dentist's office. It was my first and only working interview. One thing it taught me was I'm just not comfortable doing working interviews so I doubt I'd like doing a trial run any better.

More often than not, the odds are really stacked against you when you do these kinds of things so I really don't see a point to doing them, especially since I don't know what they really tell the employer. How do you truly know you're going to get a good employee by working someone for a day or two for a few hours? How do you truly know you're getting a good employee by working someone on a trial basis for a week or two? It takes time to get to know someone and their work ethic. Building a relationship with new employees takes awhile, generally weeks, if not months.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I wonder how it'd go over if I told them I didn't want to do this trial run but would rather be hired out right if they like me that much and want me to work there.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.