Why Do They Do This?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

I went to an interview today. In addition to the application, they gave me a piece of paper with 3 questions:

1. Why do you want this job?
2. How do you see this job helping your career?
3. What unique skills or abilities do you bring to this job?

SERIOUSLY? Why can't they just ask these questions during an interview? Why waste paper and my time writing them down when they can just ask me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland

18 months ago

Because they're afraid that they'll forget to ask those questions?

The third question if taken literally is kind of stupid. How does someone know if they have a UNIQUE skill or ability, one that they are guaranteed to be the only applicant who possesses it?

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

I think it's obvious that they are giving you a test on your ability to articulate your ideas via writing. And also to make sure you can write professionally rather than relying on txt spk u kidz <3 2 use.

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I went to an interview today. In addition to the application, they gave me a piece of paper with 3 questions:

SERIOUSLY? Why can't they just ask these questions during an interview? Why waste paper and my time writing them down when they can just ask me?

1. To see if you are literate.
2. To see if you can compose a reasonably well-constructed piece of writing.
3. To see if you are able to accomodate an unexpected and unusual request without complaining or whining or getting impatient or flustered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

18 months ago

It is called jumping through their hoops to get a job, that is exactly what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I think it's obvious that they are giving you a test on your ability to articulate your ideas via writing. And also to make sure you can write professionally rather than relying on txt spk u kidz <3 2 use.

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York said: 1. To see if you are literate.
2. To see if you can compose a reasonably well-constructed piece of writing.
3. To see if you are able to accomodate an unexpected and unusual request without complaining or whining or getting impatient or flustered.

I don't do well when I'm given a clipboard and have to sit in a chair of the waiting room trying to figure out how to be comfortable when it comes to filling out paperwork. I really need to be seated someone appropriate, like a table, to accomplish that.

I hate these places that expect you to fill out their paperwork, but then fail to make it comfortable for you to be able to do just that.

And I'd like to think if I finished college with my Associate and Bachelor's degrees, I'm pretty literate and articulate. Otherwise, I never would've gotten through college.

18 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Because they're afraid that they'll forget to ask those questions?

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom said: It is called jumping through their hoops to get a job, that is exactly what it is.

Maybe Jeff, but I really do think it's just a complete waste of paper. These are the kinds of questions they should be asking in an interview. That's what an interview is for.

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Maybe Jeff, but I really do think it's just a complete waste of paper. These are the kinds of questions they should be asking in an interview. That's what an interview is for.

But what if part of it is a writing example to see how well one writes. I would not use this technique except for if someone needs to have excellent/perfect handwriting.

18 months ago

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom said: But what if part of it is a writing example to see how well one writes. I would not use this technique except for if someone needs to have excellent/perfect handwriting.

Then I think the guy should've mentioned this in his job ad. I've seen ads in which handwriting is brought up because it's important that the person they hire have extremely good handwriting. I'm kind of in the middle. My handwriting isn't bad, but it's not good either and the fact I'm a perfectionist doesn't help much. (I carry white out correction tape in my purse along with some pens.)

That said, all his job ad said was DO NOT SEND RESUME. Instead, call 847-XXX-9195 from noon to 2:00PM, Monday through Friday to set up an interview. Had I been able to do this, he would've seen from my E-Mail cover letter this wasn't going to work for me because he wasn't fully digital and still did everything by hand, which included hand writing appointments in an appointment book. I'm not looking to work in this type of an office. I want an office that's completely digital or close to being fully digital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom said: But what if part of it is a writing example to see how well one writes. I would not use this technique except for if someone needs to have excellent/perfect handwriting.

see above post/comment

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I don't do well when I'm given a clipboard and have to sit in a chair of the waiting room trying to figure out how to be comfortable when it comes to filling out paperwork. I really need to be seated someone appropriate, like a table, to accomplish that.

I hate these places that expect you to fill out their paperwork, but then fail to make it comfortable for you to be able to do just that.

And I'd like to think if I finished college with my Associate and Bachelor's degrees, I'm pretty literate and articulate. Otherwise, I never would've gotten through college.

You are asking them for a job - why should they adapt to your comfort? You need to suck it up and learn to be comfortable in their environment, even if someone gives you a clipboard.

I've also known plenty of college grads who cannot write. One just has to read these boards and see evidence of that. The employer doesn't know you. They have every right in the world to check to see if you have the most basic skills of being able to write on demand. You can either adapt and do it, or continue to come in here and post 3-4 new threads after every interview experience about how unfair it is. The choice is yours, but nobody is going to feel sorry for you. You are doing a good enough job with that for yourself.

18 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: The choice is yours, but nobody is going to feel sorry for you.

I NEVER asked anyone to feel sorry for me. I never indirectly implied they had to be either.

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I NEVER asked anyone to feel sorry for me. I never indirectly implied they had to be either.

Really? You need some self awareness then. You find something to complain about how you are the wronged party in EVERY experience. Suck it up. Realize you are one of many looking for one of a few jobs. Stop sweating the small stuff. And yes, a written answer is small stuff. Worry about can I do this job and how can I convince them that I am their best choice. Everything else is just noise. I would never hire someone who made as big of a deal out of nothing as you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I went to an interview today. In addition to the application, they gave me a piece of paper with 3 questions:

In some state job interviews here, they have someone transcribe your answers to all the questions (and they only ask the same questions in each interview for that position). For some, they have you write your answers down yourself.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

18 months ago

Is it a penmanship test? Because everyone today pulls out the pen for inter-department memo's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Is it a penmanship test? Because everyone today pulls out the pen for inter-department memo's.

I thought cursive writing was on its way out?

18 months ago

By the way I avoid any job that says excellent writing or something of that nature. Their is a reason I type really fast and accurately and it is because I have bad handwriting, I mean it is really bad,

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom said: By the way I avoid any job that says excellent writing or something of that nature. Their is a reason I type really fast and accurately and it is because I have bad handwriting, I mean it is really bad,

Just imagine if Shakespeare had a word processor. He would have stolen even more plots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Just imagine if Shakespeare had a word processor. He would have stolen even more plots.

And Led Zeppelin more songs!

Riot in Massachusetts

18 months ago

I hate to make it seem like I'm jumping on the "beat up on Elizabeth in North Chicago" bandwagon, but after observing your posts for a few months, it seems like your problem is that you're looking for the perfect situation. You want the exact right medical receptionist job, for the perfect pay, the perfect location, perfect hours, perfect application, perfect interviewer. Life isn't like this. This mentality even carries over into your posting here. If no one gives you the response you are looking for, you either ignore what we have to say or complain that no one sees things your way. You need to just find something good enough and just go for it. I think that this is especially true in your case, as you make it seem like you and your mother are living paycheck to paycheck, or at least close to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I think it's obvious that they are giving you a test on your ability to articulate your ideas via writing. And also to make sure you can write professionally rather than relying on txt spk u kidz <3 2 use.

I think this is correct. I do know the anxiety of having to come up with some well written answers as you are sitting there at an interview. It is stressful, but it is the norm these days.

Bottom line Elizabeth; they do this because they can and they are going to take the very best candidate that can handle these seemingly nonsensical tasks and do with a look of ease.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I thought cursive writing was on its way out?

Lots of people curse when they try to read my handwriting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Lots of people curse when they try to read my handwriting.

LOL!

18 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Then I think the guy should've mentioned this in his job ad. I've seen ads in which handwriting is brought up because it's important that the person they hire have extremely good handwriting. I'm kind of in the middle. My handwriting isn't bad, but it's not good either and the fact I'm a perfectionist doesn't help much. (I carry white out correction tape in my purse along with some pens.)

If it's a job in the medical field, they want to see if your handwriting is bad enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

18 months ago

Riot,

I agree with you not to be too picky when looking for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

18 months ago

Jeff in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Lots of people curse when they try to read my handwriting.

I curse in my sleep! =b

still retired in Texas

18 months ago

I talk in my sleep. I also very proud of penmenship award from in the 2nd grade....just sayin

still retired in Texas

18 months ago

IM

still retired in Texas

18 months ago

crap...I was trying to say~ Im also very proud of my penmenship award from the second grade. Nite

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.