Why do some ads say "unemployed need not apply"? Is this even legal?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 85)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

11 months ago

How are you supposed to get a job that way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in New York, New York

11 months ago

it's against thee law in NJ now and NY knows better to write that in job descripts but they still discriminate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: How are you supposed to get a job that way?

The good news is; as more and more of us become unemployed, these employers are going to have to work even harder to discriminate against us. We are becoming the majority since most people with jobs are NOT job hopping right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

11 months ago

Seriously doubt any reputable company will display that language though I don't doubt they abide by it. Do you have a link?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Englewood, Colorado

11 months ago

Now they just won't post it they will come up with other reasons to refuse you, and you won't be able to prove it because they will say we found a better candidate and you are never told why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

11 months ago

Some skills get rusty as you are out of the job market for a while.

At my hospital they won't hire a nurse that been out of healthcare for more than 1 year. Silly policy if you ask me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida said: Seriously doubt any reputable company will display that language though I don't doubt they abide by it. Do you have a link?

I actually saw that in some posting about two years ago. Course, they were outed and dropped that language from the ads. Doesn't mean that changed anything. It just went underground.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Joe Gagill in New York, New York said: it's against thee law in NJ now and NY knows better to write that in job descripts but they still discriminate.

Drunk driving is against the law in NJ and NY but that doesn't stop it from happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: How are you supposed to get a job that way?

Don't ever become unemployed, noob.

Sheesh, it's like I have to explain everything. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida said: Seriously doubt any reputable company will display that language though I don't doubt they abide by it. Do you have a link?

Me too. I constantly hear about ads saying the unemployed need not apply, but I've never seen an ad that says that.

On the contrary, I've seen ads that encourage the unemployed to apply.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

11 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: Me too. I constantly hear about ads saying the unemployed need not apply, but I've never seen an ad that says that.

On the contrary, I've seen ads that encourage the unemployed to apply.

I am one who has seen ads which specifically say "unemployed need not apply". Since that wording didn't go over well, it has been replaced with "must have recent experience in.....", asking for a recent graduate (how blatant is that, no older need apply) and other similar phrasing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

11 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I am one who has seen ads which specifically say "unemployed need not apply". Since that wording didn't go over well, it has been replaced with "must have recent experience in.....", asking for a recent graduate (how blatant is that, no older need apply) and other similar phrasing.

The wording I see is "must be able to provide proof of continuous employment during the past 24 months."

Last week I applied to a job that said must lift 50 pounds.

11 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Since that wording didn't go over well, it has been replaced with "must have recent experience in.....", asking for a recent graduate (how blatant is that, no older need apply) and other similar phrasing.

A recent college grad has no experience though. Doesn't that contradict?

11 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Last week I applied to a job that said must lift 50 pounds.

When I got out of high school, I got a retail job at the Wild Bird Center. I worked weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. Part of my job included carrying 15, 20, 30, 40 and 50 LB bags of wild bird food from the back to the front and stacking them on the sales floor or helping customers out to their car by carrying the bags they purchased. This is something an older person would've most likely had issues with.

Lifting is considered a bona fide occupational need.

For example, a job involving a lot of heavy lifting requires someone with the muscle strength to perform the job. In these cases, it's legal to state the job requirement in the advertisement. However, the requirement should be stated in such a way that it doesn't exclude qualified members of a protected class. The heavy lifting job advertisement may state that the applicant must be able to lift up to 100 pounds but can't state that men would be preferable because of this requirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: A recent college grad has no experience though. Doesn't that contradict?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that as a completely different qualification, it wasn't meant to go with the "must have experience in..."....

What I was attempting to get at was age discrimination worded in a different way for entry level positions.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Last week I applied to a job that said must lift 50 pounds.

The bank used that one to weed out the sick and the elderly. LOL!

11 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Don't ever become unemployed, noob.

Sheesh, it's like I have to explain everything. :)

Was that a joke?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Was that a joke?

It was a joke. What is not a joke is what an HR person once said at a networking meeting I attended. She said, "You have lost two jobs: The one you had and the one you need".

All these weird things that have you scratching your head and asking why is simply because there aren't that many jobs any more.

11 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I am one who has seen ads which specifically say "unemployed need not apply". Since that wording didn't go over well, it has been replaced with "must have recent experience in.....", asking for a recent graduate (how blatant is that, no older need apply) and other similar phrasing.

I know it John. Not too long ago, I was filling out an online application that used the "pull down menu" option for each question they asked. One on the questions was something along the lines of "Length of time at CURRENT employment" with no option to say you were not currently employed. No discrimination there. Sheesh! As if the unemployed have forgotten every skill they ever learned. Part of the reason I come on this board is to keep myself actively writing, even if it's nothing professional so to speak. I do a lot of things in my every day world that requires a computer, time management, and organization.

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Was that a joke?

We do a lot of that. The requirements to get a job once you become unemployed are just not obtainable any more, so we often joke with others with sarcastic advice, "don't become unemployed"...LOL. I think we all would be slashing our wrists by now if we didn't joke around with the subject at hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

To all those who doubt the existence of such ads, read the dozens of articles on it. As mentioned on this thread, they don't have to explicitly say "unemployed need not apply" What about "Explain in full detail employment gaps". "Position requires 'current' experience" Or they just find another frivolous reason not to hire. Case in point: I had an interview for an airline and they knew I was unemployed and kept grilling me about my 'experience' throughout the entire interview. My resume showed I went to cosmetology school and the male interviewer said "well you can give me a haircut sometime" I said "Oh, that's fine" His face changed to this disgusted look and the lady interviewer jumped in and said "that wasn't the right answer. You were supposed to say his hair looked fine and he didn't need a haircut." So I was considered being rude lol. I didn't get the job, but because they kept bringing up my unemployment every so minutes, I figured that's why I wasn't hired. I laugh about the whole haircut thing now. What a bunch of pricks.

Joe Gagill in New York, New York

11 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: The requirements to get a job once you become unemployed are just not obtainable any more.

So true! I have good solid skills but the problem always seems like the new job postings want 1 or 2 skills I don't have.

No one wants to train anyone any longer.

I'm so tired of the bs.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: To all those who doubt the existence of such ads, read the dozens of articles on it. As mentioned on this thread, they don't have to explicitly say "unemployed need not apply" What about "Explain in full detail employment gaps". "Position requires 'current' experience" Or they just find another frivolous reason not to hire. Case in point: I had an interview for an airline and they knew I was unemployed and kept grilling me about my 'experience' throughout the entire interview. My resume showed I went to cosmetology school and the male interviewer said "well you can give me a haircut sometime" I said "Oh, that's fine" His face changed to this disgusted look and the lady interviewer jumped in and said "that wasn't the right answer. You were supposed to say his hair looked fine and he didn't need a haircut." So I was considered being rude lol. I didn't get the job, but because they kept bringing up my unemployment every so minutes, I figured that's why I wasn't hired. I laugh about the whole haircut thing now. What a bunch of pricks.

At my last employer, if you had "a gap" of over a year, they wouldn't touch you. Didn't matter what the reason was. They wouldn't admit to this either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: To all those who doubt the existence of such ads, read the dozens of articles on it. As mentioned on this thread, they don't have to explicitly say "unemployed need not apply" What about "Explain in full detail employment gaps". "Position requires 'current' experience" Or they just find another frivolous reason not to hire. Case in point: I had an interview for an airline and they knew I was unemployed and kept grilling me about my 'experience' throughout the entire interview. My resume showed I went to cosmetology school and the male interviewer said "well you can give me a haircut sometime" I said "Oh, that's fine" His face changed to this disgusted look and the lady interviewer jumped in and said "that wasn't the right answer. You were supposed to say his hair looked fine and he didn't need a haircut." So I was considered being rude lol. I didn't get the job, but because they kept bringing up my unemployment every so minutes, I figured that's why I wasn't hired. I laugh about the whole haircut thing now. What a bunch of pricks.

I have been asked flat out "So how have you been paying the rent?"

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I have been asked flat out "So how have you been paying the rent?"

Like it is any of their business. I am here interviewing with you so I can make sure that I can continue to meet my needs. What else do you need to know on that note? Smh.

11 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: We do a lot of that. The requirements to get a job once you become unemployed are just not obtainable any more, so we often joke with others with sarcastic advice, "don't become unemployed"...LOL. I think we all would be slashing our wrists by now if we didn't joke around with the subject at hand.

Oh ok. Thank you! I get it. Need to be employed to get a job. Need a job to become employed lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

I wouldn't have walked out of that interview; I would have ran! Wow. I thought I had some screwed up experiences. That's pretty bad.

I hate the part of the initial interview where they always ask, "so what have you been doing with yourself" as if you need to "fill in the gap" of being out of work. I do have a family and I do have monumental responsibility day in and day out. Do they really want me to describe my day in order for me to justify my very existence being without a job? It's so insulting. I would like to ask them what they do when they are not in the office.

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: Oh ok. Thank you! I get it. Need to be employed to get a job. Need a job to become employed lol.

No problem :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I wouldn't have walked out of that interview; I would have ran! Wow. I thought I had some screwed up experiences. That's pretty bad.

I hate the part of the initial interview where they always ask, "so what have you been doing with yourself" as if you need to "fill in the gap" of being out of work. I do have a family and I do have monumental responsibility day in and day out. Do they really want me to describe my day in order for me to justify my very existence being without a job? It's so insulting. I would like to ask them what they do when they are not in the office.

They want you to feel like a lower being for not being employed.

When I left the interview, I shook his hand and said thank you sir. He fussed me about again: "Sir? You just made me feel like I am 60. Wow." And he had this mad look on his face. I did make a brisk pace out of there at that point lol. I didn't even want the job anymore. I try not to use the words sir and mamm anymore at interviews even if the interviewers are clearly 4 times my senior, but that is hard being that I am from a more rural environment in the biblebelt region. Still he didn't have to fuss me out like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said:
I hate the part of the initial interview where they always ask, "so what have you been doing with yourself" as if you need to "fill in the gap" of being out of work.

I get asked that every time. And trying to tell someone this who hasn't looked for a job in a long time is like trying to explain lawn bowling to an Eskimo.

That's why I say discussing your unemployment situation with someone who hasn't experienced this is a waste of your time.

11 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: When I got out of high school, I got a retail job at the Wild Bird Center. I worked weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. Part of my job included carrying 15, 20, 30, 40 and 50 LB bags of wild bird food from the back to the front and stacking them on the sales floor or helping customers out to their car by carrying the bags they purchased. This is something an older person would've most likely had issues with.

Lifting is considered a bona fide occupational need.

For example, a job involving a lot of heavy lifting requires someone with the muscle strength to perform the job. In these cases, it's legal to state the job requirement in the advertisement. However, the requirement should be stated in such a way that it doesn't exclude qualified members of a protected class. The heavy lifting job advertisement may state that the applicant must be able to lift up to 100 pounds but can't state that men would be preferable because of this requirement.

This particular job I applied to was stating the requirement just to weed. It was a sedentary job. Might have to lift a heavy printer or rack a server here and there.

11 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: This particular job I applied to was stating the requirement just to weed. It was a sedentary job. Might have to lift a heavy printer or rack a server here and there.

"weed out the old"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: "weed out the old"

That's to discourage people aged 40 and older from applying.

Plumbing, automotive or coffee salesman position would be a better fit for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: "weed out the old"

Another way to eliminate the sick and the feeble is to say, "Must be able to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day". My current job does this.

What they really want are students. Being outside in the Texas heat will probably kill me one day.

Completely Broke and Broken in Painesville, Ohio

11 months ago

I think this has been said before, but if the interview's not going well and they ask what you've been doing for the past 18 months, just tell them you were recently paroled.

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I have been asked flat out "So how have you been paying the rent?"

Robbing houses and old ladies.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Completely Broke and Broken in Painesville, Ohio said: I think this has been said before, but if the interview's not going well and they ask what you've been doing for the past 18 months, just tell them you were recently paroled.

Early release for good behavior. They think that already.

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Early release for good behavior. They think that already.

Classic Bluetea, lol.

11 months ago

Completely Broke and Broken in Painesville, Ohio said: Classic Bluetea, lol.

True. And when she says it enough, we will believe it's true and wonder what her crime was....

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

11 months ago

this is a comment from a yahoo article that someone wrote (he got 6 thumbs up by the way and only 1 thumb down):

[Dean]
Dean 19 hours ago

"Larry you're full of BS. Americans they don't like Hotel cleaning jobs. I've traveled allaover US and every hotel I've stayed into have spanish, Hatian, or any other nationality, but white or black americans. They're either too lazy, picky and would rather collect unemployment or food stamps, or they have too much "pride" to do such a job making up rooms. That's the truth, after working in Human Resources for 10 years in 3 different hotels in the country."

I nearly fell over in my chair when I read it.... what?!?! If this is the pervasive attitude then I might as well give up trying. what's the point? I can't win. according to common consensus i'm an entitled, young, minority american.

11 months ago

CONT'D

here's the real kicker (another comment from someone who clearly has never known hardship):
[JeromeB]
JeromeB 20 hours ago

"Larry M, if a lot of American citizens are like my two younger kids, the hotel would have no employees. It is going to be bad for these two kids if they don't learn from my (presently) 3 weeks and 5 days of unemployment. I got a severance, vacation balance, and some other deferred bits of income and spent the month without dining out on credit card, without buying snacks on credit card, without agreeing to pay for any more of her college on credit card ... and they still don't smell the coffee. You have to work to live. Take a job, any job that pays even if it's not what you want. That's not exactly my advice, but the advice of my oldest kid who started working at 16, worked 3 part-time jobs until she started college, moved out at 18 and worked 2 part-time jobs through college until she got her RN certificate and started full-time Nursing at age 20, that was her goal. She kept on adding credentials for critical care nursing, got a BSN on-line, enrolled in a Master's of Nursing program and negotiated a 3-year program so she could keep working full time as a nurse while pursuing her Master's, then finally got that and got a job as a Nurse Practitioner. Oh, she got married 2 years ago also and put her husband's hiney into school and drove him to a 4.0 GPA and now he's got a good job too. 10 years of busting her #$%$ to earn her keep and do her school and she's now earning way into the 6 figures. If half of Americans had half her drive, we'd be running a 12% GDP growth rate. I start a new job Monday, using my valuable skill, making way above U.S. median income. I may have gotten terminated at the old job, but that's just a symptom of their managerial stupidity. "

these false delusional attitudes are what we are up against folks. these are real comments. I'm not fabricating them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: CONT'D

these false delusional attitudes are what we are up against folks. these are real comments. I'm not fabricating them.

I am kinda tired of this the marketing of the so called American Dream that has the "pie in the sky get it when you die" undertone. So you are telling me go into debt for many, many years, then when I am dang near close to "retirement" or near my death bed I can finally "do well". Just like how people try say "money doesn't buy happiness." That is BS for the most part. Normally the people who tell you this are A)Poor people who have very falsified consciousness about the real value of-economic stability B)People who have the economic stability and want to keep the division between the have and have nots. These are the attitudes that a lot of employers have.."You must not be trying hard enough..This is America after all." This argument seems to be use a lot against minorities since we are typically depicted as lazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: B)People who have the economic stability and want to keep the division between the have and have nots. These are the attitudes that a lot of employers have.."You must not be trying hard enough..This is America after all." This argument seems to be use a lot against minorities since we are typically depicted as lazy.

THIS. I agree with ALL of your comment but I wanted to especially highlight this part.

Lostmyhope in Virginia

11 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: True. And when she says it enough, we will believe it's true and wonder what her crime was....

strangling beth!!!!

Lostmyhope in Virginia

11 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: this is a comment from a yahoo article that someone wrote (he got 6 thumbs up by the way and only 1 thumb down):

[Dean]
Dean 19 hours ago

"Larry you're full of BS. Americans they don't like Hotel cleaning jobs. I've traveled allaover US and every hotel I've stayed into have spanish, Hatian, or any other nationality, but white or black americans. They're either too lazy, picky and would rather collect unemployment or food stamps, or they have too much "pride" to do such a job making up rooms. That's the truth, after working in Human Resources for 10 years in 3 different hotels in the country."

I nearly fell over in my chair when I read it.... what?!?! If this is the pervasive attitude then I might as well give up trying. what's the point? I can't win. according to common consensus i'm an entitled, young, minority american.

why am i not surprised?????? this is what i am talking about!!!!

11 months ago

Lostmyhope in Virginia said: why am i not surprised?????? this is what i am talking about!!!!

LoL exactly, you can't win.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Goneoffeverything in Virginia said: I am kinda tired of this the marketing of the so called American Dream that has the "pie in the sky get it when you die" undertone. So you are telling me go into debt for many, many years, then when I am dang near close to "retirement" or near my death bed I can finally "do well". Just like how people try say "money doesn't buy happiness." That is BS for the most part. Normally the people who tell you this are A)Poor people who have very falsified consciousness about the real value of-economic stability B)People who have the economic stability and want to keep the division between the have and have nots. These are the attitudes that a lot of employers have.."You must not be trying hard enough..This is America after all." This argument seems to be use a lot against minorities since we are typically depicted as lazy.

I just finished a book on Abraham Lincoln which was a little different from what I remember in 5th grade. Lincoln would have been nothing but a country bumpkin lawyer without his crazy wife Mary-Todd. She was the daughter of a wealthy slave owner and well connected.

Lincoln failed at everything he ever tried: log splitter, store owner, prairie lawyer, everything. It is who you know. Then, you can sell everybody the "reading by the firelight" stories.

11 months ago

The American Dream still exists...
But its getting more difficult to get it.

Do I wish I was back in the 1980's with no responsibilities and real music on the radio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts

11 months ago

Every online conversation about the economy has an overachiever anecdote.

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said:

That's nothing. Here's what we're what I think we're up against.

[QUOTE who=" poster Emily on from NPR's On Point comments section]Also another problem with the lower class is as stated the majority of crime, virtually all moral crimes are commited by lower class people.
Nothing compels them to do it and yet you see an absence of crime in the middle class and upper class. Another problem is that they lack unity, they don't form networks, they don't self-organize, there is no sense of common belonging. In middle class enviorments and upper class enviorments there is an underlying social fabric, in the lower class they kill one another, they steal from one another, they cheat and exploit one another. It's because they're animals...I go to a state university, most of my friends have offers, most of the people in my major have job offers, many of my peers have gone on to start their own firms, for-profit and non-profit. it's not because of a conspiracy like some of you insinuate that you lack employment...The successful, intelligent and employed unlike the lower class lack dependence on an institution(primarily government or social support/pity that seeks to create new instiutions or alter existing ones) unlike the bottom of society, a reliance that for the poor serves, to beg for help or to "blame" for their predicament...I am tired of the
little people in society being heard, I am tired of the uneducated
being sympathized with, I am tired of the weak influencing the strong. I think we need to change the way society works and start to remove peacefully it's inferior elements. I wonder if this person is an anomaly or part of a broad consensus among the educated and affluent.

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts

11 months ago

That's nothing. Here's what we're what I think we're up against.

[QUOTE who=" poster Emily on from NPR's On Point comments section]Also another problem with the lower class is as stated the majority of crime, virtually all moral crimes are commited by lower class people.
Nothing compels them to do it and yet you see an absence of crime in the middle class and upper class. Another problem is that they lack unity, they don't form networks, they don't self-organize, there is no sense of common belonging. In middle class enviorments and upper class enviorments there is an underlying social fabric, in the lower class they kill one another, they steal from one another, they cheat and exploit one another. It's because they're animals...I go to a state university, most of my friends have offers, most of the people in my major have job offers, many of my peers have gone on to start their own firms, for-profit and non-profit. it's not because of a conspiracy like some of you insinuate that you lack employment...The successful, intelligent and employed unlike the lower class lack dependence on an institution(primarily government or social support/pity that seeks to create new instiutions or alter existing ones) unlike the bottom of society, a reliance that for the poor serves, to beg for help or to "blame" for their predicament...I am tired of the
little people in society being heard, I am tired of the uneducated
being sympathized with, I am tired of the weak influencing the strong. I think we need to change the way society works and start to remove peacefully it's inferior elements. I wonder if this person is an anomaly or part of a broad consensus among the educated and affluent.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.