Worried about job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

ZZZZZZPPPPPP in Coquitlam, British Columbia

28 months ago

So I'm on a 1 year contract. I want to get it renewed and until Monday I really liked the job. However, I talked to the boss about a renewal (there's about 2 months left) and he told me:

- Staff has been complaining about me leering at them.
- Asked me if I was lonely, as I let it slip that my wife was depressed earlier.
- Blamed me for two incidents early in the contract where one was a screwup on his part and the other was where he asked for a brief summary of something and then was later upset that I didn't cover an incredibly minor corner case that is both irrelevant and tangential.

So, first thing, I'm not leering at the staff. They are all pretty ugly, not my type. However, they are allowed to and do wear tights every day and barely-there tops (this is an office of professionals otherwise). Kinda hard not to look but I'm not exactly leering. They do a crummy job anyway so I usually do their job as well as mine with respect to my work product because I keep getting flack from clients because the staff mess up something simple.

I'm not lonely. That was perhaps the most insulting thing in my life. If I was that desperate there's plenty of websites out there.

I'm frankly also insulted that I would get blamed for his mistakes.

On the other hand, I need the money badly thanks to student loans and my wife being unemployed. I thought the job was awesome until this Monday (I was always pulling pretty long hours thinking that would impress him... apparently not). Now I've been told not to even speak to the staff and to shut up and get to work, basically. The place has completely changed.

So what do I do? I was thinking, if I was offered an extension anyway, I'd take it, then leave when I find another job elsewhere. It's a very small field, though, and I'd starve pretty quickly without money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

28 months ago

Ride out the current contract, get it renewed if you can (it's usually better to have a job than to be looking for a job), and start looking for something that suits you better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Crofton, Maryland

28 months ago

Bosses are known to exaggerate complaints from co-workers in order to gain leverage over subordinates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

ZZZZZZPPPPPP in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: So I'm on a 1 year contract. I want to get it renewed and until Monday I really liked the job. However, I talked to the boss about a renewal (there's about 2 months left) and he told me:

- Staff has been complaining about me leering at them.
- Asked me if I was lonely, as I let it slip that my wife was depressed earlier.
- Blamed me for two incidents early in the contract where one was a screwup on his part and the other was where he asked for a brief summary of something and then was later upset that I didn't cover an incredibly minor corner case that is both irrelevant and tangential.

So, first thing, I'm not leering at the staff. They are all pretty ugly, not my type. However, they are allowed to and do wear tights every day and barely-there tops (this is an office of professionals otherwise). Kinda hard not to look but I'm not exactly leering. They do a crummy job anyway so I usually do their job as well as mine with respect to my work product because I keep getting flack from clients because the staff mess up something simple.

I'm not lonely. That was perhaps the most insulting thing in my life. If I was that desperate there's plenty of websites out there.

I'm frankly also insulted that I would get blamed for his mistakes.

On the other hand, I need the money badly thanks to student loans and my wife being unemployed. I thought the job was awesome until this Monday (I was always pulling pretty long hours thinking that would impress him... apparently not). Now I've been told not to even speak to the staff and to shut up and get to work, basically. The place has completely changed.

So what do I do? I was thinking, if I was offered an extension anyway, I'd take it, then leave when I find another job elsewhere. It's a very small field, though, and I'd starve pretty quickly without money.

I see the writing on the wall and I'd be looking for my next assignment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

neednewjob in Michigan

28 months ago

Even if you get renewed, this has all the makings of a hostile situation. I'd start looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZZZZZZPPPPPP in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

28 months ago

I'd rather stay, though, because if I left I'd have to start over in another specialization of my profession.

Also, I thought it was an awesome job until I was told these things. Fun job has overnight turned into clockwatching and dreading getting out of bed. FML.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

neednewjob in Michigan

28 months ago

Legal Services in Surrey, British Columbia said:
Is your wife currently looking for work at all?
.

I think you'd get along smashingly with Beth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Need New Job in Michigan said: I think you'd get along smashingly with Beth.

Two peas in a pod.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Two peas in a pod.

Peas and carrots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Denver, Colorado

28 months ago

sh*t on a shingle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

Debbie in Denver, Colorado said: sh*t on a shingle

Hey I had that at my kid's school Christmas lunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

Seemed a weird lunch thought it would be turkey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

neednewjob in Michigan

28 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: Seemed a weird lunch thought it would be turkey.

Was it actually made with chipped beef?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

It was made with beef. I just thought why have that for holiday dinner? You know how about turkey and dressing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

ZZZZZZPPPPPP in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia said: I'd rather stay, though, because if I left I'd have to start over in another specialization of my profession.

Also, I thought it was an awesome job until I was told these things. Fun job has overnight turned into clockwatching and dreading getting out of bed. FML.

Either you have been doing a very poor job and not realizing it or they are fishing for a reason not to renew your contract. Either way, your job security seems very precarious. I'd start looking. If they offer to renew, take it. But start looking just in case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

inlimbo in Redmond, Oregon said: Peas and carrots.

"Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: "Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots".

"Jenneeeeeeeee!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

28 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: "Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots".

What about you and our dear Joey?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

28 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: What about you and our dear Joey?

And Beth and Endoftheworld...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: What about you and our dear Joey?

Me and Joey goes together like peas and carrots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

28 months ago

Joey's ears are ringing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Saint Louis, Missouri

28 months ago

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York said: Either you have been doing a very poor job and not realizing it or they are fishing for a reason not to renew your contract. Either way, your job security seems very precarious. I'd start looking. If they offer to renew, take it. But start looking just in case.

Duck is spot on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Littleton, Colorado

28 months ago

ZP - I'd start looking now. I don't think it's fair to judge you haven't been doing a good job. It sounds like they are looking for a reason not to renew the contract. If you find something else give them your notice unless you are locked in for some reason. But you did ask them if they would renew the contract and the feedback doesn't look promising. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.