Where Are You Applying Today?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

I applied with a private school in south Texas. I was going to apply at a local bank but when I hit Taleo I left. I tried to sign up at Art Hire after reading a NYTs article about them, my resume (PDF) wouldn't upload (boo hoo, story of my life).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

I'm thinking too, that I may apply with Dollar General, should I leave my master's degree off of my application?

John in Catonsville, Maryland

14 months ago

Apply? To what? I just can not justify a part time low paying job though I have applied for such in the past.... only to my my application fall into the never ending black hole. And I don't have the advanced degrees and experience to apply for the other jobs I see advertised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm thinking too, that I may apply with Dollar General, should I leave my master's degree off of my application?

you should probably leave off your bachelor's degree too....just sayin'

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

nova eeewww in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: you should probably leave off your bachelor's degree too....just sayin'

I agree. Don't "overqualify" yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

No where today. Too depressed and degraded to. I had a temp gig last night in which we were suppose to be "cheerleaders" for professionals at a business conference in hotel. I felt completely disrespected and looked down on. They completely ignored me or talked down to me like I was one of their pets or something. I mean, this isn't new but this really took the cake. Even picking maggots off cans and dodging mice was better than this. What is it about people in higher-ups that feel the need to talk to you like you a child or a nobody? They have no compassion whatsoever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Now I have to go fix my unemployment after this 6 hr nightmare.

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm thinking too, that I may apply with Dollar General, should I leave my master's degree off of my application?

When my uncle Bob, a computer programmer, and his co-workers were laid off by Harris Bank so they could replace them with Canadian workers, one of his co-workers tried getting a stocking job with target. He tried several times and was always rejected. He finally got hired when he told them he was working towards his GED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: When my uncle Bob, a computer programmer, and his co-workers were laid off by Harris Bank so they could replace them with Canadian workers, one of his co-workers tried getting a stocking job with target. He tried several times and was always rejected. He finally got hired when he told them he was working towards his GED.

what?! So THAT'S what I was missing. I'll try that next time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

My uncle tried applying for entry-level work, i.e. front desk, with the Navy Lodge on base. He actually got as far as an interview with the lodge manager. However, following his interview he heard nothing about whether or not he was being hired. So he asked his wife, who works for the Navy Exchange (NEX) (they over see the Navy Lodges), to make some inquiries for him. After a week or so of inquiries, she was finally able to report back to him and told my uncle that the lodge manager refused to hire him because of how educated my uncle was. The manager felt that he'd get bored quickly with front desk and being as educated as he was (my uncle has a Bachelor's of Mathematics), he'd make a decision at some point to apply for management and take his job away from him. My uncle's heart sank because all he wanted to do was work in wake of being laid off so he could help with bills and other expenses. His severance was running out and my Aunt works a somewhat minimum wage job with the NEX. (We all know retail doesn't pay very well.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

So, what is my uncle Bob doing today?

He's currently tutoring Math and engaging in exam prep for the ACT and SAT at Huntington Learning Center making $12 (or thereabouts) an hour. There are weeks he doesn't work a whole lot of hours and makes very little, but there are weeks he works a lot of hours and makes quite a bit. Summers are when you usually rake in the doe at the tutoring centers.

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

14 months ago

My friend has a job like the one listed above- they make him work off the clock all week (i.e, organizing stuff at home for the next day); he says it's a living hell.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

14 months ago

I don't understand how that can't be against the law, being forced to work off the clock. Might it be time for your friend to consult a lawyer?

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas

14 months ago

Not fun work at all. Take your plan-o-gram and...

And I'm with Js in Concord. WHO THE HELL CAN AFFORD TO BUY ANYTHING?

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I have an MBA, 20 years experience at Fortune 100 companies, and am an executive.

Today I applied for a middle management position at a lumber yard. It's not dollar general, but getting close for me.

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

14 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: I don't understand how that can't be against the law, being forced to work off the clock. Might it be time for your friend to consult a lawyer?

I agree.

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I have an MBA, 20 years experience at Fortune 100 companies, and am an executive.

Today I applied for a middle management position at a lumber yard. It's not dollar general, but getting close for me.

That's how it is with me for the most part. I write down jobs from the internet but then never apply always telling myself, "Is this what it has come to Joe?" "Crappy job A, B, C"

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

Some cash flow is better than zero cash flow.

Parafreegal's best decision was getting that part-time job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

14 months ago

Fellow Indeeders--for those of you who are open to relocation, an opening for museum director just came open in my area. Non-profit. Salary negotiable.

Raise your hand if you want the CB link (the museum website doesn't advertise their jobs).

And I hope you all know I am not a recruiter. It's a cool, unusual opportunity. Museum director positions are not a dime a dozen, so I thought I would spread the word.

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Fellow Indeeders--for those of you who are open to relocation, an opening for museum director just came open in my area. Non-profit. Salary negotiable.

Raise your hand if you want the CB link (the museum website doesn't advertise their jobs).

And I hope you all know I am not a recruiter. It's a cool, unusual opportunity. Museum director positions are not a dime a dozen, so I thought I would spread the word.

Couldn't see myself traveling that far, unless you were going to be my support system, Brat=)

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Fellow Indeeders--for those of you who are open to relocation, an opening for museum director just came open in my area. Non-profit. Salary negotiable.

I bet they need someone who has been directing museums for the past 10 years.

I looked up resumes on indeed yesterday. I found out that a lot of people were hopping from one job to another, doing basically the same thing at the same level but not staying at one place longer than a year or two.
Despite them not being interested in the job or may be applying for a next job to change the setting (got bored?), they seem to be easily hired all over the place. I even noticed some big names that advertise locally (but never answer when you send them your resume).
So, either these people who get hired are well "networked" or else it comes down to "industry standard" X years of experience doing that particular job. As long as you show it in your resume you get hired. Otherwise taleo spits your resume in no time (and assuming you don't "network" well you have no other chances to land a job).

Good luck to all.

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: Couldn't see myself traveling that far, unless you were going to be my support system, Brat=)

Almost--mi casa es su casa :)

And I just found out one of my boys is moving in a couple weeks, so there is ample space (and I'm sure you have smaller meals than him...!)

I'm going to see if the link posts-
www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?Job_DID=JHT52N6R5DZMYXHMK9D&siteid=cbindeed&showNewJDP=yes&ipath=EXIND

Hope you give it a shot if it looks appealing, amiga.

14 months ago

I figured that was the one. CB only had two museum jobs in the state. Not sure why I am such a curmudgeon about leaving Texas, it hasn't done much for me, and I rarely meet any natives any more.

Never been to NC, but I have traveled to SC before, and thought it was lovely. I may give it a shot.

The problem with Director's jobs is you have to deal with the board. I loved the board when I got my first Director job, then there was an ugly coo, working with the new president became unbearable.

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: I bet they need someone who has been directing museums for the past 10 years.

I looked up resumes on indeed yesterday. I found out that a lot of people were hopping from one job to another, doing basically the same thing at the same level but not staying at one place longer than a year or two.
Despite them not being interested in the job or may be applying for a next job to change the setting (got bored?), they seem to be easily hired all over the place. I even noticed some big names that advertise locally (but never answer when you send them your resume).
So, either these people who get hired are well "networked" or else it comes down to "industry standard" X years of experience doing that particular job. As long as you show it in your resume you get hired. Otherwise taleo spits your resume in no time (and assuming you don't "network" well you have no other chances to land a job).

Good luck to all.

I have something refreshing to report. The director at this museum has been in the position for 17 years, and is a super nice lady. For the most part, the organization is not used to the job-hopping phenomenon that seems so common.

The folks in the museum's community are all good people, quite laid back, less influenced by the larger US culture. Unlike many places, ie Silicon Valley, elders are respected and revered.

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: I have something refreshing to report. The director at this museum has been in the position for 17 years, and is a super nice lady. For the most part, the organization is not used to the job-hopping phenomenon that seems so common.

The folks in the museum's community are all good people, quite laid back, less influenced by the larger US culture. Unlike many places, ie Silicon Valley, elders are respected and revered.

Well, that speaks well to my last post. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York said: That's how it is with me for the most part. I write down jobs from the internet but then never apply always telling myself, "Is this what it has come to Joe?" "Crappy job A, B, C"

I have to apply, since its the only thing I feel I have control of. If I were to be offered said crappy job, I'm not sure that I would take it.

It gives me the license to daydream about being someplace new for a brief moment.

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: Well, that speaks well to my last post. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Absolutely! We're here to help each other. My ex works for the tribe and he is very happy.

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: Otherwise taleo spits your resume in no time (and assuming you don't "network" well you have no other chances to land a job).

Good luck to all.

Yes, Taleo and others do spit your resume out if it doesn't contain enough keywords, if you don't highlight the right times of availability, etc.

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Absolutely! We're here to help each other. My ex works for the tribe and he is very happy.

Sounding better all the time...I'm so lost since my kid grew up....Off to see about the tech support job now.

14 months ago

I'm Going back to the phone book method.

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm Going back to the phone book method.

You can call, but they will only refer you to their website....powered by...TALEO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: You can call, but they will only refer you to their website....powered by...TALEO!

LoL Sad, but true :( :P

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: I have something refreshing to report. The director at this museum has been in the position for 17 years, and is a super nice lady. For the most part, the organization is not used to the job-hopping phenomenon that seems so common.

I wish good luck to anyone who applies.

If anyone outside of N.C. (assuming optimistic suggestion of Unix Brat works for you) gets this job please do post here, so we can celebrate it together.

As to me, I am not up to another Troll fest.

Even though I understand that job poster in this case may not be a party who has intentions to Troll job applicant, still, I would most certainly be Trolled if I took this suggestion and applied for it (Note: In this particular circumstance I speak for myself only).

Good luck to anyone out of N.C. ,who has no relation to Directing Museums, landing at this job.

14 months ago

I've actually been wanting to make the switch from libraries to museums. Did grad work in Art History prior to library school.

Relocation expenses an a decent salary would make me sublimely happy! Gotta run...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: I've actually been wanting to make the switch from libraries to museums. Did grad work in Art History prior to library school.

Relocation expenses an a decent salary would make me sublimely happy! Gotta run...

Art History? Why was that a good idea?

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: I've actually been wanting to make the switch from libraries to museums. Did grad work in Art History prior to library school.

Good luck on today's interview!

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said:
Good luck to anyone out of N.C. ,who has no relation to Directing Museums, landing at this job.

They hire folks that are from out of state.

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: They hire folks that are from out of state.

=]

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: They hire folks that are from out of state.

Why?? That seems a bit silly and unfair.

14 months ago

Unix, where did you get an "insider" information from (about them hiring from out of State)?

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Why?? That seems a bit silly and unfair.

I should have written that they hire folks regardless of what state they are from. My bad.

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: Unix, where did you get an "insider" information from (about them hiring from out of State)?

I know some folks from community coalitions, as well as the tribe director.

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Art History? Why was that a good idea?

It was at the time, I was going into a speciality where there were only three Ph.D's in the country. Took time off to raise the kid and then what to library school.

The question should be, why was THAT a good idea?

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Good luck on today's interview!

Thanks for the good wishes, Brat. I did well on the testing, the interview will be in TWO weeks. The cogs turn mighty slow these days...

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: It was at the time, I was going into a speciality where there were only three Ph.D's in the country. Took time off to raise the kid and then what to library school.

The question should be, why was THAT a good idea?

They say that today, you should NOT major in something that you like but in something that an employer likes.

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: I should have written that they hire folks regardless of what state they are from. My bad.

Since they are in the US one would [by default] assume they could hire folks from anywhere in US (provided one can work in the US).

I would apply for a job in a different State, in fact one thing I will do before I discontinue applying for jobs altogether is applying for jobs in other states.
When I do so I will target them just as I target local job market.

But this (Museum Director) seems to be an exceedingly long shot, too much of a Troll fest for me.

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: Since they are in the US one would [by default] assume they could hire folks from anywhere in US (provided one can work in the US).

I would apply for a job in a different State, in fact one thing I will do before I discontinue applying for jobs altogether is applying for jobs in other states.
When I do so I will target them just as I target local job market.

But this (Museum Director) seems to be an exceedingly long shot, too much of a Troll fest for me.

I think she was thinking of me when she posted it. Fits well with my education and experience.

True Blue, fortunately libraries and museums like my degree, but it seems to be no big deal in the saturated market I currently live in.

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: I think she was thinking of me when she posted it. Fits well with my education and experience.

True Blue, fortunately libraries and museums like my degree, but it seems to be no big deal in the saturated market I currently live in.

I would be glad if you got that job. Please keep us posted (especially if you land it).

Good luck.

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Cypress, Texas said: True Blue, fortunately libraries and museums like my degree, but it seems to be no big deal in the saturated market I currently live in.

I wouldn't have guessed that. While there wouldn't be as much demand for a librarian as for someone who serves chicken wings at Hooters, I would have thought you would have gotten at least, a few more calls.

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: They say that today, you should NOT major in something that you like but in something that an employer likes.

I see you've been yakking away today as usual.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.