I desperately need advice on the best way to leave my family business. I'm psychologically drained, don't know what to do.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Mike Isaah in Marin, California

46 months ago

I have worked in my "family business" for about 6 years now but now I want out. When I was 18 I started working for my mother who is a real estate agent as an assistant. I worked with her throughout college as I got my marketing degree, planning that I was going to get a new job and move away when I was finished. As graduation came near, my parents moved out of the country and left the business for me to run. They really didn’t discuss this with me, except to tell me that I would make about $100k per year(which did NOT happen, I made less than half that last year). For about a year we were so busy that I didnt really even have time to think about if I was enjoying it or not. So busy that I was working my ASS off for 60 hours a week stressed out to all hell but thinking it would be worth it in the end.
It has not been worth it. I am stretched out financially, psychologically, emotionally, and I don’t really know how to leave.I have been looking for jobs and I want to start interviewing, but what if I actually get a sweet job? I cant just leave the business with no one in the office having both of my parents out of the country. The families bills wont be able to be paid and it will just be a mess. I am invested so heavily in this job that I honestly see it almost being impossible to leave.
But I have to. I am thinking of telling my parents that I am job hunting, but I know them and they will get furious and tell me to just stop coming in to work,which I can not do because I have bills that I need to keep paid for myself.I don’t have a good savings kept due to some circumstances that have left me with a pretty substantial debt.
Part of me just wants to get a job, tell my parents , and suffer the consequences. But its FAMILY.But I need to look out for myself. I have slaved for years and now I feel I have put in my time. Its sad that I look st it that way, but its just the way that I feel about it. This isn’t healthy, and “just leaving” isn’t as simple as it sounds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elly John in Kingston, Jamaica

46 months ago

Mike you need to speak wth your family, let them know your wishes and see how you can come to some solution. You may start a "nice job" and later see that is not as you thought it would be and then you may have the family business to go back into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.